The what are you reading at the moment fred

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

The patent cure for foot-rot in the camps is interesting.

Didn't the author die at a football match in Inverness?

According to Wiki, he is still alive.

Born in 1919, good bloody age.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Haken

• dougal

• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Say What Again

Read about half of the following last night. For anyone who likes their military books - cant speak highly enough of it.

Singapore sounded a complete farce.

9781405507653.jpg

Almost bought that in Waterstones a few weeks back. Decided to pick something else up, but will get to reading this at some point.

two-gentlemen-of-lebowski-review.jpg

It's 'The Big Lebowski' if Shakespeare had written it. It's hilarious and unbelievably well done. Obviously it helps to be obsessed with 'The Big Lebowski' like I am but it's a great read.

For example;

WALTER

"In sooth, then, faithful friend, this was a rug of value? A star in a firmament, in step with the fashion alike to the Whitsun morris-dance? A worthy rug, a rug of consequence, sir?"

THE KNAVE

"It was of consequence, I should think; verily, it tied the room together, gather?d its qualities as the sweet lovers? spring grass doth the morning dew or the rough scythe the first of autumn harvests. It sat between the four sides of the room, making substance of a square, respecting each wall in equal harmony, in geometer?s cap; a great reckoning in a little room. Verily, it transform?d the room from the space between four walls pre- sented, to the harbour of a man?s monarchy"

WALTER

"Indeed, a rug of value; an estimable rug, an honour?d rug; O unhappy rug, that should live to cover such days!"

:D

Still reading D-Day, but now also The K Foundation Burn A Million Quid.

Not sure that there are going to be any answers, but that is maybe the point.

the book of dave. so far i've either loved or hated books by will self, but i'm not decided on this. not as funny or insightful as something like great apes, but decent enough. and whilst the mockney in the future chapters is enjoyable at first, its becoming a chore.

The Dark Stuff - Nick Kent.

One of the best written books I've ever read. It is about the demons of some of the world's most talented musicians put together through profiles, interviews and Kent's own experiences working for the NME. Each musician has a chapter. Some are better than others but the good ones are impossible to put down. The extensive opening chapter on Brian Wilson is the best: closely followed by Jerry Lee Lewis, Sid Vicious and the Rolling Stones.

Re dirty havana/tropical animal, can I just say "this" as mine arrived from amazon this morning.

As for Hunter, I loved his stuff and devoured it all a few years ago, and as much as I liked the political stuff, I think that (maybe) the rum diary was my favourite Hunter S read. The great shark hunt is a brilliant collection of his stuff, it includes things like fear and loathing on the campaign trail so it's a great way to cover a lot of bases.

I'm just about to start the foundation pit by Platonov. I've heard it's pretty dense stuff, and this is a new translation, which is more faithful to the original Russian. With comparisons to Beckett, and a heavily stylised original - insofar as it is redolent of the doublespeak of life under a dictatorship - with Platonov "deforming language" and making historical and biblical references, I don't think it'll be the lightest read...

screen-shot-2010-12-11-at-15-04-14.png?w=268&h=413

Oooft. Let me know how that turns out - if you survive it I'll probably give it a try. Anything with similarities to Beckett gets me interested.

Say What Again

bravenewworld.jpg

Read it before years ago, but about to start it again today.

I was looking for a book to take to work this morning, and this tatty old paperback fits perfectly into my coat pocket. :thumbsup:

Dusk_Till_Dawn

This just arrived through the post today:

5102%2BPJYZaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Halfway through this book - it's absolutely immense. Anyone with any interest in Balkans politics (or politics in general) should have a read.

Don't know how to put the photo of the book up but i'm halfway through "When pride still mattered. A life of Vince Lombardi" just in time for the superbowl!

Its a damn fine read if you know anything about american football or the man himself. It expands a lot on his personal history and career, focusing on his drive and determination to succeed, often at the expense of a settled, happy family life. Reading about the ever-present tension between himself and his son, and the troubled life of his wife makes it a compelling read, as well as the college football & NFL history.

Hopefully I'll finish it before the Pack win it all in Dallas this year!

What are the culture novels like Libertonian? Are the quite accessible?

Just finished this:

cos-shit-my-dad-says-book-mdn.jpg

Didn't do much for me.

Currently reading this:

Freakonomics-Movie-Poster.jpg

Late to getting to this book, but I really like the concept and some of the startling conclusions reached. It's a good chapter a night type book.

Also nipping a chapter at a time of this:

extra-lives.jpg

Love books on video gaming, computers etc. If anyone else does, Game Over is a fantastic book - and the shows Micro Men (about the Spectrum/Sir Clive Sinclair v BBC Micro/Chris Curry) and Pirates of Silicon Valley (Apple/Jobs v Microsoft/Gates), are both brilliant dramatised histories of the rivalries in the early home computer days.

Sterling Archer

Just read the basement by Stephen leather, it's an 150page novella that was pretty cheap so I thought I give it a shot.

Really enthralling but I was disappointed by the twist at the end. Didn't fit at all.

The People's Chimp

Oooft. Let me know how that turns out - if you survive it I'll probably give it a try. Anything with similarities to Beckett gets me interested.

Aye, I'll let you know, but in the meantime I, er, put it off and started Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain, which I've had lying about for ages. Very readable and done in about 3 sittings.

...a bit disco

"Surface Detail"

Ian M Banks - another superb Culture novel

SF doesn't seem to be too popular on here?

Talking of sci-fi....

914079.jpg

Brilliant future shock science fiction series.

D-Day was tremendous. :thumb: Love those soldier point of view books. Did lack enough from the German side, just a sprinkling of comments, so was not fully authoritative. But very good.

Now reading Larry McMurtry's 'Books - a memoir'. Not proving as interesting as I thought it might. And also have some John Steinbeck short stories on the go.

just got this delivered today - almost finished reading Mr Nice for second time so will start my new book when y current one is read. Must say though after 5 mins flicking through the pages there is so much I can relate to. So cant wait :thumbsup:

two_miles_cover_front_sml.jpg

also received in post so looking forward to reading that too :thumbsup::thumbsup:

51g3hZs3qjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

just got this delivered today - almost finished reading Mr Nice for second time so will start my new book when the current one is read. Must say though after 5 mins flicking through the pages there is so much I can relate to. So cant wait :thumbsup:

two_miles_cover_front_sml.jpg

also received in post so looking forward to reading that too :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

51g3hZs3qjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Edited by Mr Nice

Not as high browed as it sounds ... very readable...if u find this stuff interesting !

41D8CYRAGZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Synopsis

In this guided tour down the centuries, Richard Morris shows how each new encounter with infinity has furthered the advancement of physics and mathematics. This is a mathematical detective story which is informative and educational.

Edited by hmfc_steve

Just started this after seeing his name mentioned on the crime author thread.

9780099542193.jpg

Read that years ago and really enjoyed it.Not everyone will though. :thumbsup:

Say What Again

Read that years ago and really enjoyed it.Not everyone will though. :thumbsup:

Only just started it and having to adapt to his writing style just now. It's all very short, sharp sentences, with paragraphs of no more than 3 pages long. There are 206 paras in the book!

I'm still at the stage of character introduction, but good to hear you enjoyed it as the person who gave me the book did too.

Commander Harris

Compendium 1 of The Walking Dead (which has the first 48 issues) arrived at my door yesterday afternoon. Couldn't put it down and finished it last night, excellent stuff.

51SZidK2tYL._SS500_.jpg

Now I need more! Might have to just buy a few of the trade paperbacks to keep my going as don't think the next compendium is due for a while.

a lot of people dismiss comics but this has been a really good read, without spoiling anything the writer is not afraid to kill off central characters so just about anything can and does happen. Keeps it interesting over such a long series.

• 2 weeks later...

Been in a lighter reading mood so have been reading the following:

a) the 2 Chris Evans autobiographies - enjoyable froth.

B) John Robb - The Stone Roses - and the Resurrection of British Pop. Possibly the worst written book I've ever read, but enjoyable enough with lots of stories I hadn't heard before.

c) Couple of Chekhov short stories.

Next up is John Carlin's White Angels which I see from a sticker on the front I managed to pick up somewhere for ?2. Looking forward to it.

Edited by Coco

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

ALone%2Bin%2BBerlin.jpg

Story of a couple who try and rebel against Hitler by leaving postcards with anti-war messages all around Berlin after losing their son in the war.

Quite an enjoyable read. Gives you a good idea of the paranoid atmosphere around Germany at the time.

Been in a lighter reading mood so have been reading the following:

a) the 2 Chris Evans autobiographies - enjoyable froth.

B) John Robb - The Stone Roses - and the Resurrection of British Pop. Possibly the worst written book I've ever read, but enjoyable enough with lots of stories I hadn't heard before.

c) Couple of Chekhov short stories.

Next up is John Carlin's White Angels which I see from a sticker on the front I managed to pick up somewhere for ?2. Looking forward to it.

So true about the John Robb book. The best crap book I've ever read. I must have got through it 6 or 7 times when I was younger - spelling mistakes and all sorts in it though. Dreadfully written.

Will be teaching some Chinese politics/history soon so got involved in a wee bit of this for the next week or so:

51smZcTRxpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Looks like an interesting read.

White angels was okay. Author was clearly in love with Real Madrid and his commentary on the Galacticos was a bit sickly sweet.

My favourite anecdote was about Ronaldo ... when Beckham signed his comments were along the lines of: "that's terrific, he's a great player. And he attracts so many women, there will be some left over for me!"

Next up is David Reynolds' America Empire of Liberty - a New History.

america-empire-of-liberty-a-new-history-300x300.jpg

After all the hype I'm finally getting started on this series.

The%20Girl%20with%20the%20Dragon%20Tattoo%20(Millennium%20Trilogy%20Book%201).jpg

Looking forward to it. :thumbsup:

Really good series.

I've just finished A Study in Scarlet, the first Sherlock Holmes book and loved it so have downloaded the complete works. I'm re-reading The Stand just now which is as good as I remembered and has a lot I missed first time round about 5 years ago.

Really good series.

I've just finished A Study in Scarlet, the first Sherlock Holmes book and loved it so have downloaded the complete works.

you'll not regret it. wonderful, wonderful stories.

just finished will self's book of dave which was excellent. gonna read on the origin of the species then re-read some jeeves and wooster.