NHL playoffs

Jimmy McNulty

Jimmy McNulty

NHL season starts tomorrow? As a Leafs fan, I am resigned to another year of futility.

First game is tomorrow. Will probably settle down with a beer and watch the embarrassment unfold.

BUT, who's gonna win it all? Have Chicago lost to many stars to repeat?

My money is on Pittsburgh, but then again...

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gershwin

• Chester™

• JamboInSouthsea

• alwaysthereinspirit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NHL season starts tomorrow? As a Leafs fan, I am resigned to another year of futility.

First game is tomorrow. Will probably settle down with a beer and watch the embarrassment unfold.

BUT, who's gonna win it all? Have Chicago lost to many stars to repeat?

My money is on Pittsburgh, but then again...

Its a tough one to predict this year for me. The Pens have easily upgraded on D but will be minus Staal for a good number of weeks and have still not got a winger for Sidney.

I think Chicago have lost too many to repeat and its all of their own doing.

No one else is consistent enough for me. TSN predict the Red Wings which is always a safe option even if they are a little older.

I think it will be Washington's year. They must be hurting from getting pumped out by the mighty Habs and they're the strongest scoring team in the league.

I'm also intrigued about Boston this season. They've always been pretty strong over the last few years and they've added Seguin. Don't think they'll win it but I can see them making the conference finals.

Chicago have lost too much for me. Plus Turco is past it.

And Edmonton will make the playoffs. You heard it here first!

Tbinking about signing up to the ESPN Player actually - access to 1000 games :whistling: for ?69.99 (til Oct 20th). Shame I'll be missing the Habs (hopefully) beasting the Leafs on Friday night...

I ******* love the NHL...

I think it will be Washington's year. They must be hurting from getting pumped out by the mighty Habs and they're the strongest scoring team in the league.

I ******* love the NHL...

Im not convinced they've done the right thing appointing Ovie as Captain. He's a marked man by the refs (and players for that matter), for his antics over the last couple of seasons and that could really hurt them. They remind me awfully of the Sheffield Steelers. Think they should be winning everything and when they dont, the dirty tricks come out. :down:

And yes. The NHL is fecking awesome! :thumbsup::D

Im not convinced they've done the right thing appointing Ovie as Captain. He's a marked man by the refs (and players for that matter), for his antics over the last couple of seasons and that could really hurt them. They remind me awfully of the Sheffield Steelers. Think they should be winning everything and when they dont, the dirty tricks come out. :down:

And yes. The NHL is fecking awesome! :thumbsup::D

******* loving their Winter Classic jerseys this year too. Might have to shell out for one.

******* loving their Winter Classic jerseys this year too. Might have to shell out for one.

Its certainly Old School. Ovie looked horrendous in it, as if it didnt fit him right.

Nae doobt oor one will be that awful Blue jersey. It sells in huge numbers for some reason but I really cannot fathom why. Its rather :yucky:

Don't know how I'm going to cope this season - last season alot of NHL live on ESPN and relied on Red Bull to get me through the next day at work, but diabetes has fecked that approach this season.

I've spoke a bit to the cousins in Calgary in the last week - they're expecting a similar season to last from the Flames, so we'll hopefully scrape into the playoffs and anything else is a bonus.

No stand out team for me at this stage, but expect the Penguins to be there or thereabouts at the business end.

alwaysthereinspirit

As always but never, Bruins for me.

Seguin looks the real deal but will wait and see how much ice time he actually gets and how he handles a full NHL schedule. Rask has a full year behind him now and I think he'll be even better than last season.

My wife just got me a 10 game package which gets me a lower lottery # for play off tickets. Heres hoping.

JamboInSouthsea

I've been watching the pre-season games and am still swithering over any prediction, need to see a few more games into the season to decide.

The times of the games are about perfect for me as I finish work at 1.00 am most nights so grab some plonk or beer and a packet of Twiglets and put me feet up.

Yes...awesome game and series!!!

For anybody without ESPN you can catch most of the games (plus other sports incl. fitba) on www.ATDHE.net

Konrad von Carstein

REPEAT!!! :thumbsup:

Or not <_<

I agree with the people who say there has been too big a turnover of talent at Chicago, but hopefully a good showing in the play-offs.

Red, Black and White are the colours :thumbsup::lol:

For anybody without ESPN you can catch most of the games (plus other sports incl. fitba) on www.ATDHE.net

Great find JIS, thanks for that. I've got ESPN, but they're not showing the Flames opener at Oilers tonight. That's me sorted!

JamboInSouthsea

Great find JIS, thanks for that. I've got ESPN, but they're not showing the Flames opener at Oilers tonight. That's me sorted!

Cheers...yeah it's a good site that for finding all sorts of things to watch, you can even get South American league games on it plus all manner of other sports.

Jimmy McNulty

Usually get to a few games. But may now be difficult with young son. Have really gotten into the OHL. $15 a ticket it's a steal ( go to see Gatineau in the QMJHL too, which I prefer for the atmosphere).

Don't know how I'm going to cope this season - last season alot of NHL live on ESPN and relied on Red Bull to get me through the next day at work, but diabetes has fecked that approach this season.

I've spoke a bit to the cousins in Calgary in the last week - they're expecting a similar season to last from the Flames, so we'll hopefully scrape into the playoffs and anything else is a bonus.

No stand out team for me at this stage, but expect the Penguins to be there or thereabouts at the business end.

Sugar Free Red Bull?

Funny to think PK Subban was playing at Murrayfield Ice Rink this time last year!

Any 3-2 in both the Toronto and Pittsburgh games - Habs have looked pretty poor tonight, particularly Price.

JamboInSouthsea

They haven't been their best it must be said though i'm enjoying the game...seem to have a french/canadian commentary for some reason.

Jimmy McNulty

They haven't been their best it must be said though i'm enjoying the game...seem to have a french/canadian commentary for some reason.

Not a bad game so far. Leafs look a lot better than last year, even with way more names I have barely ever heard before.

Every time Kessel gets the puck you think something good might happen.

Game over. Leafs win.

JamboInSouthsea

Exciting finish!!!

Did you see the ref getting taken out behind the net, well funny?

Exciting finish!!!

Did you see the ref getting taken out behind the net, well funny?

Aye, it was class.

Thought Lars Eller looked pretty decent for the Habs. Think he'll turn into a worthwhile signing. Looking forward to Cammelleri and Markov coming back though.

JamboInSouthsea

Swithering over watching one of the other two games tonight which start in 10 mins or so.

Funny to think PK Subban was playing at Murrayfield Ice Rink this time last year!

Any 3-2 in both the Toronto and Pittsburgh games - Habs have looked pretty poor tonight, particularly Price.

It was an absolute nap we'd lose against the Flyers last night, opening our new shiny arena. <_<

As for Price, I said it at the time, the Habs traded away the wrong goalie. Price has done nothing really of merit, since he burst onto the scene, for the Habs to put so much in his stock IMO.

It was an absolute nap we'd lose against the Flyers last night, opening our new shiny arena. <_<

As for Price, I said it at the time, the Habs traded away the wrong goalie. Price has done nothing really of merit, since he burst onto the scene, for the Habs to put so much in his stock IMO.

Here's hoping you lose number 2 on Saturday night! :thumbsup:

Aye, I was telling a mate midway through last season that Price was getting traded this summer - as he was clearly gash. Still can't get over that Halak trade. Hopefully Eller makes up for it.

Got to go with Canucks. Luongo no longer captain, going to play less games and good backup in place. Strengthened the defence and brought in a couple of veterans to steady the younger forwards. Although not got a true enforcer enough toughness on the team to keep them safe. The key to total success is that their key players have to turn up for the playoffs.

Failing that I have to go with San Lose or Pittsburgh. The Sharks have been such a high potential team you would think they have to make it through some time.

Definite no go's Calgary, Edmonton,Leafs, Canadians, and probably Rangers.

Got to go with Canucks. Luongo no longer captain, going to play less games and good backup in place. Strengthened the defence and brought in a couple of veterans to steady the younger forwards. Although not got a true enforcer enough toughness on the team to keep them safe. The key to total success is that their key players have to turn up for the playoffs.

Failing that I have to go with San Lose or Pittsburgh. The Sharks have been such a high potential team you would think they have to make it through some time.

Definite no go's Calgary, Edmonton,Leafs, Canadians, and probably Rangers.

Rypien hasn't left has he?

Rypien hasn't left has he?

No, he had fractured collar bone, not sure how soon he will be back. Not a heavyweight enforcer, but one of the best fighters in the league. Reminds me of Bobby Schmautz who played for Canucks and Bruins.

JamboInSouthsea

3-2 it finishes, Montreal come back from a goal down to win and totally against the run of play.

Trying to watch Redwings v Blackhawks game but website appears to be having issues.

Jimmy McNulty

Leafs 2-0 after roasting the Sens last night. Couple of games on tonight and a few tomorrow afternoon and night for the holiday weekend.

Washington vs sens Monday night looks tasty.

NY Huns vs Islanders is on now. Not a bad game actually. The Rangers' PP is looking good although I'm not sure if that's because the Islanders' PK is poor.

We've had a fight, 5 goals and a missed penalty shot already.

Konrad von Carstein

5-4 Islanders now! (Always had a soft spot for them, probably cos I didn't like the name Rangers)

Thanks for the heads up that this was on Gershwin

Konrad von Carstein

If I may be so bold Mods/Admin could we have an NHL sticky?

There are several posters on here with an interest in the NHL. :thumbsup:

Anyone else signed up to Espn player? It's 70 sheets for the season and you can watch any game you want. Loving it so far.

Konrad von Carstein

Anyone else signed up to Espn player? It's 70 sheets for the season and you can watch any game you want. Loving it so far.

?70 is this up front? How do you register for it (watchin Inbetweeners and can't be arsed looking)

?70 is this up front? How do you register for it (watchin Inbetweeners and can't be arsed looking)

http://www.espnplayer.com/

Nah, you don't have to pay upfront (the ?69.99 offer is only on until October 20th - goes up ?20 after that I think)... You can either pay ?12.99 a month or ?8.99 for a 24 hour pass.

It's in HD but you have to configure Safari to 'Open in 32-bit mode' if you're watching on a Mac.

I'm incline to say it's ******* brilliant. Watched quite a few games already, although there have been quite a few holiday afternoon faceoffs.

Pens looking good tonight. Paul Martin is going to be a great acquisition. Plus he's in my fantasy team!

JamboInSouthsea

Just got home in time for start of 3rd period of Blackhawks Sabres game...missed 5 goals already.

Still, have some beers in....and a 6th goal goes in, 4-2 to Blackhawks.

JamboInSouthsea

Been watching the highlights of today's games on the NHL website and it's nice to see that they show all the scraps too...with none of the namby pamby 'bringing the game into disrepute' type commentary you might get with football, though having said that, most fights in football are namby pamby and bring fighting into disrepute.

Leafs looking good this year. Not a huge fan of them but they're a good team to watch at the moment. Kind of hoping they make the playoffs cause I'm going to be over there the second week in April.

Leafs looking good this year. Not a huge fan of them but they're a good team to watch at the moment. Kind of hoping they make the playoffs cause I'm going to be over there the second week in April.

They have helped my *ahem* plan of having the Pens miss the playoffs. Im going to the World Champs in Slovakia next year and i'll be attending all of Canada's games, due to the venue. They miss out, more likely of seeing Crosby! :whistling::lol:

I blame the new arena. :down:

Colton 'T-Rex' Orr took a bit of a beating though.

J.T.F.Robertson

Poor start for Chicago :verymad:

Did I neglect to mention the hex I put on that shirt? :whistling:

Colton 'T-Rex' Orr took a bit of a beating though.

I thought he was on top until those last two punches. The one that stuck him on his arse was a classic.

I thought he was on top until those last two punches. The one that stuck him on his arse was a classic.

Its becoming a bit of habit for him. Guys know what to do against him (unless your Matt Carkner) and T-Rex seems to be struggling a bit. Didnt help he didnt have any pre-season bouts (IIRC). :lol:

Cracking punch from Engelland though. Waited for the right time and POW. :thumbsup:

T-Rex didnt return either.

Edited by Chester?

• Maple Leaf unpinned this topic
  • Maple Leaf pinned this topic