NHL playoffs

Jimmy McNulty

J.T.F.Robertson
3 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Incredible comeback by the Leafs.  Complete reversal of the previous night. Winner take all tomorrow.

Toronto just got too big and too busy for my taste.  Guelph is a nice quiet university town. It's quite compact, so everything is only a few minutes drive away.  I live in a retirement community, so the gardening, snow clearing etc. is done for me.  Much more suitable for me in my declining years.  :biggrin2:

I thought you were still in Mississauga, Ron. I hadn't noticed your new location.

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gershwin

• Chester™

• JamboInSouthsea

• alwaysthereinspirit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

I thought you were still in Mississauga, Ron. I hadn't noticed your new location.

Moved in April, Jim.  Did a midnight flit in the middle of a pandemic!!  :whistling:

J.T.F.Robertson
5 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Moved in April, Jim.  Did a midnight flit in the middle of a pandemic!!  :whistling:

Sounds like you're happy, all the best.

When's the housewarming? Promise to bring my PPE.

• 4 months later...
Baldwigforjack

Looking for some advice regarding buying team jerseys. I'm 5ft10" and about 15 stone with a bit of a gut. Normal clothing I take a xxl in uk sizes. What size for a replica jersey do folk reccommend? The same,smaller or larger?

• 4 months later...

Toronto and the Habs just started. Leafs have had the best of games this season so far but Gallagher is back for the Habs and I’m enjoying the fact they’re playing fast and hard so far tonight. It’s great having them against each other but there’s no way either of these teams are going all the way sadly. Disappointing Caufield isn’t in the team tonight as he looks like an exciting young talent. 

Been keeping an eye on the Canes, 2-0 up so far with 2 home games under their belt. Atmosphere was meant to be amazing at the PNC with 12,000 fans back in. Been playing well this season so keen to see how they go. Watched a game live earlier in the season so will try to get back to another in this run.

That was a horrendous hit on Tavares. Totally accidental from Perry in my view but wasn’t good to watch. Those guys are big and moving at serious speed so a knee to the head is going to be a bad hit. Poor guy kept trying to get up but was clearly away with the goalie. 
Good to watch this one live but I wish BT Sport had more games. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looked like it was going to be a walk in the park for the Leafs but the Habs seem to have found a bit of spirit and got it back to 3-2 in the series so tonight is the big one. Habs lose and it’s all over, win and it all hangs on the next match. The Habs are looking well up for it tonight so far and helped no doubt by fans being back in the Bell Centre tonight making sure the Leafs get a warm Montreal welcome. 

Stay up until stupid o’clock to watch the game. Habs are ahead 2-0 in the third only to lose 2 and leave the game going to overtime. Then you fall asleep and miss the end of the game. Anyway it seems the Habs won in overtime so the series goes to a seventh. Disaster for the Leafs after winning 3 in a row to lead 3-1. 

Maple Leaf
23 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Stay up until stupid o’clock to watch the game. Habs are ahead 2-0 in the third only to lose 2 and leave the game going to overtime. Then you fall asleep and miss the end of the game. Anyway it seems the Habs won in overtime so the series goes to a seventh. Disaster for the Leafs after winning 3 in a row to lead 3-1. 

The Leafs Hibs'ed it two games in a row. Bone-headed plays in their own end gave the Habs the winning goals in OT.

It's entirely possible that they will Hibs' it in game 7.  They are choke artists when it comes to the play-offs. 

On 30/05/2021 at 04:31, Maple Leaf said:

The Leafs Hibs'ed it two games in a row. Bone-headed plays in their own end gave the Habs the winning goals in OT.

It's entirely possible that they will Hibs' it in game 7.  They are choke artists when it comes to the play-offs. 

Hibs’ed it big time. 
1-0 down in the play off. Then win 3 in a row. Then lose 3 in a row. 
Into the 6th decade with no Stanley Cup now, quite an achievement. 

Maple Leaf
6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Hibs’ed it big time. 
1-0 down in the play off. Then win 3 in a row. Then lose 3 in a row. 
Into the 6th decade with no Stanley Cup now, quite an achievement. 

Leafs played the Habs 10 times in the regular season and the Habs won once.  That made Leafs heavy favourites for the playoffs, right?  Except ...

The Leafs are choke artists par excellence when it comes to the playoffs.  No play off series win in 17 years.  No Stanley Cup, not even a Cup finalist, since 1967.  

People in the organisation should lose their job over this, but I won't be holding my breath.

First team ever to lose in game 7 of a play off 4 years in a row. The Habs will struggle to get past Winnipeg but at least there’s some fight in the team. 

Maple Leaf
4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

First team ever to lose in game 7 of a play off 4 years in a row. The Habs will struggle to get past Winnipeg but at least there’s some fight in the team. 

There was a time that I'd be thoroughly pissed off right now, but I've become immune to it.  I even predicted a Habs win before the series started.

Now, 100% of my frustration is directed at Hearts.  :biggrin:

On 01/06/2021 at 03:34, Tazio said:

The Habs will struggle to get past Winnipeg but at least there’s some fight in the team. 

Glad to say I may have been over pessimistic. Currently 3-0 up in the series winning tonight’s game with the magical 5-1 after getting back to the Bell Centre after two wins at Winnipeg. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/05/2021 at 00:49, Tazio said:

Toronto and the Habs just started. Leafs have had the best of games this season so far but Gallagher is back for the Habs and I’m enjoying the fact they’re playing fast and hard so far tonight. It’s great having them against each other but there’s no way either of these teams are going all the way sadly. Disappointing Caufield isn’t in the team tonight as he looks like an exciting young talent. 

Well since posting this the Habs have seemed to remember how to win. After getting past the Leafs they then beat Winnipeg against the odds. Followed up by beating the odds again and getting past Las Vegas despite the predictions they wouldn’t beat any teams from outside Canada. And now despite being the lowest rated team in the play off are in the final for the first time since 1993! Shows that a good solid defence, and some good youthful enthusiasm up front is a good blend. Oh, and a human wall at the back minding the goal. 

22 minutes ago, jonesy said:

That Caufield is some player.

He's coming on very nicely, he's got the pace needed to burn defenders and the shot to finish it off. Nick Suzuki was the young player people were excited about and now it's Caufield.

Konrad von Carstein

Could Canada finally have the Stanley cup in its grasp?

Canadian teams failures over the years has been a sourse of embarrassment/hilarity for a few years now, with the Habs bearing the brunt...

22 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Could Canada finally have the Stanley cup in its grasp?

Canadian teams failures over the years has been a sourse of embarrassment/hilarity for a few years now, with the Habs bearing the brunt...

The Habs are oddly similar to Liverpool in that they were hugely dominant and then it just stopped. Also a massive team with hugely loyal fans. Liverpool broke their EPL duck eventually. could this be the Habs year? It's been a long wait. Not as hilariously long as the Leafs though.

Konrad von Carstein
9 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The Habs are oddly similar to Liverpool in that they were hugely dominant and then it just stopped. Also a massive team with hugely loyal fans. Liverpool broke their EPL duck eventually. could this be the Habs year? It's been a long wait. Not as hilariously long as the Leafs though.

Blackhawks over here, so know all about Stanley Cup droughts... Do have a soft spot for the Islanders tho, so hope they can make it to the finals.

Just now, Konrad von Carstein said:

Blackhawks over here, so know all about Stanley Cup droughts... Do have a soft spot for the Islanders tho, so hope they can make it to the finals.

It would be a bonus to beat them to punish them for their early 80's run of Stanley Cups. 

Konrad von Carstein
3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Montreal: original six, long tradition of hockey, up against a team from Florida. 

Budge up, I'm clambering on, too :) 

(Although still awaiting the return of the Montreal Maroons for a team to really get behind).

The history of hockey in North America and Canada is really interesting...I've barely dipped my toe in it...but the game is such a huge deal there...sadly NBA and NFL seem to get the headlines...

I've kept a space for you behind the driver...

:groundhog:

My sports tastes are so predictible, I followed Hearts as a boy, came to Canada and started watching the Western Hockey League Canucks, loved the game, and have followed the Canucks in the NHL ever since was a season ticket holder, the Final was exciting but a bit of a downer to lose.

I met Canucks captain in a store one time, Orland Kurtenbach, told him my son and I were big fans I should get him to sign an autograph he said I just live across the mall come on I have a couple of magazines with me on the cover, we went and he signed the magazine . Some time later I was working and had left my patrol car at the Canucks office door while I went in to renew my season ticket. The then manager with his useless side kick came in and made jokes about the police being in their office instead of fighting crime. I replied that I was on the scene of a major crime with what they were charging for a season ticket and the crap they were producing. Kurt was the coach and when they left he came out and was laughing, he invited me into the office and we had a great talk about the team and players. Sadly the way they have been lately I think it will still be a while before they get to the Cup Final again.

It’s not going well so far, but the Habs were the better team last night, and the next 2 games are in Montreal with some fans in the Bell Centre. Also it started badly against the Leafs. I’m not losing heart yet. 

Hockey media to me is just like Rangers, Celtic. Being a Canucks fan I just hate when anything happens with Toronto or Montreal, its all you hear and basically they can do no wrong. If Montreal in this year it will be 24 hour news for months. I guess for me its something I have been raised to having two teams in the sport I follow that I dislike intensley, its not they that are stupid its me. Cmon Hearts /Canucks.:jj_facepalm:

Columbus Blue Jackets goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks died Sunday after an accidental fall. 

He was 24.

"We are shocked and saddened by the loss of Matiss Kivlenieks, and we extend our deepest sympathies to his mother, Astrida, his family and friends during this devastating time," said Blue Jackets President of Hockey Operations John Davidson. "Kivi was an outstanding young man who greeted every day and everyone with a smile and the impact he had during his four years with our organization will not be forgotten."

The club did not provide further details on the incident. Kivlenieks played eight games over two seasons with the Blue Jackets.

I am forecasting a Montreal win tonight. Too much history, they will give it their all and what crowd is there will be right behind them.

Aw well. Shit or bust tonight for the Habs. No chance of the Stanley Cup but at least fight and avoid losing it 4-0. 

Habs lead by 1 after the first period. God knows how but I’ll take it. I hate to say it but Tampa Bay are a hell of a good side. Good to see Brendan Gallagher starting a barney at the end of the period. He’s the bulldog that gets the team wound up. Just a little guy but never takes a backwards step no matter how much abuse he’s given. 

21 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Habs lead by 1 after the first period. God knows how but I’ll take it. I hate to say it but Tampa Bay are a hell of a good side. Good to see Brendan Gallagher starting a barney at the end of the period. He’s the bulldog that gets the team wound up. Just a little guy but never takes a backwards step no matter how much abuse he’s given. 

Watched that first period, a wee bit concerned about Montreals tactic, penalties are a sin in an important one such as this.

5 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Watched that first period, a wee bit concerned about Montreals tactic, penalties are a sin in an important one such as this.

It’s a tricky tactic but Tampa Bay are so good on the puck you need to make them know they’re going to get hit. A couple of calls against the Habs that were harsh I’d say. 

Maple Leaf

Tampa Bay failed to score during a 4-minute power play late in the game, spilling over into OT. How poor is that? 

Montreal did well.  Deserved the win.

Maple Leaf
5 hours ago, jonesy said:

Did the Tampa head coach smirk and mouth “money spinner” in his post match interview?

:biggrin2:

Maple Leaf
3 hours ago, jonesy said:

Fair play to the Lightning. Back to back SCs during Covid is impressive.

Yes indeed.  I think it's the first back-to-back wins in the era of the salary cap.

Greedy Jambo

I quite like the fights in the NHL, How good would it be if that was allowed in football. 

We've got 5 subs now, It's the best time to introduce it. 

15 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I quite like the fights in the NHL, How good would it be if that was allowed in football. 

For the record, fights are NOT allowed in the NHL.  Depending on the extent of the fight, participants will be penalised at least 2 minutes, maybe 5 minutes, and on rare occasions a game misconduct.

That doesn't stop them from happening, of course, but fighting is less frequent now than it used to be.

18 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Hockey teams will sign a guy less than average player but good fighter, they generally have four lines plus two goalies so can afford to have the fighter sit out for his penalties, soccer would have to change a lot to allow your I am  sure light hearted suggestion, but it certainly would  be interesting to see a big defencman challenge a wee tanner ba' player to a fight.😀

• 4 months later...
4 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Mon the (utterly laughable) Chicago Blackhawks... :(

Almost a year since the last post on this thread...

Lads :(

I’m a Habs fan. Fair to say I’m not enjoying it so far. 

6 hours ago, jonesy said:

This is a race to the bottom. I ‘follow’ the Canucks. 

You must be like I then looking forward to a close game against Boston this afternoon, I am looking forward to a close game something like 8 -1 for the Bruins. At least in hockey there is no relegation, so they will be back in the big league next season.:vangry:

The Molson family wielding the axe at the Canadiens. General Manager and other senior figures released with immediate effect. Gm has been there for almost 10 years so I don’t imagine he’ll been struggling for loose change anytime soon. 

• 4 months later...

Sad news, Guy Lafleur has died. The player I remember most from when I first saw the Habs on World of Sport back in the 70’s when they were crushing everyone else very Stanley Cup it seemed. One of the finest to ever play the sport, and certainly the most classy. 

• Maple Leaf pinned this topic
On 22/04/2022 at 07:26, Tazio said:

Sad news, Guy Lafleur has died. The player I remember most from when I first saw the Habs on World of Sport back in the 70’s when they were crushing everyone else very Stanley Cup it seemed. One of the finest to ever play the sport, and certainly the most classy. 

He was exciting to watch, quite a team up there with Lafleur and Mike Bossy.

3 hours ago, Sharpie said:

He was exciting to watch, quite a team up there with Lafleur and Mike Bossy.

He’s the reason I’m a Habs fan. One of the sports shows on a Saturday in the 70’s started showing hockey highlights and he just seemed so far ahead of any other player on the rink. And played the game differently to everyone else.