NHL playoffs

Jimmy McNulty

Chester™
6 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

Do you subscribe to the athletic? Folk on SB Nation/Habfans seem to rate it. Is it any good?

I take it Armia is an RFA?

No idea on Armia.

I do subscribe. I get a lot out of it as I've interest in all four major sports. The NHL coverage, as a standalone, is excellent though. Good bit of wider coverage with junior and minor leagues. Their draft stuff was good. You can also tailor the site and app to what and who you want to read.

They're doing a discount for the next couple of days for free agency if you're interested (and buy in CAD as the exchange rate is favourable).

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gershwin

• Chester™

• JamboInSouthsea

• alwaysthereinspirit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

No idea on Armia.

I do subscribe. I get a lot out of it as I've interest in all four major sports. The NHL coverage, as a standalone, is excellent though. Good bit of wider coverage with junior and minor leagues. Their draft stuff was good. You can also tailor the site and app to what and who you want to read.

They're doing a discount for the next couple of days for free agency if you're interested (and buy in CAD as the exchange rate is favourable).

Nice one. I'll have a look.

It's official. 

Tavares to the Queafs.

Those ***** are going to be insufferable. 

11 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

Johnson signs for the Pens. :muggy:

Dad's back though. :jjyay:

Delighted someone else picked up Johnson.

Didn't realise Cullen was 41! He's had a 21 year career!

Edited by Gershwin

Going to be in California late October so looking into what games I can go to...

Got the choice of San Jose/LA/Anaheim vs Buffalo/NYI... i.e. all the Californian teams are playing the sabres/islanders. 

Sharks Sabres is probably the easiest for us to get to and I'd quite like to see Dahlin in the flesh although I really fancy going to see the Kings too.

Chester™

The 'Racers' logo revealed today - a head of a greyhound in red and black.

Looks absolutely awful. And they've clearly forgot to do research on the public perception of greyhound racing.

4 hours ago, Chester™ said:

The 'Racers' logo revealed today - a head of a greyhound in red and black.

Looks absolutely awful. And they've clearly forgot to do research on the public perception of greyhound racing.

As a whippet owner, I love it!

Get the feeling you're going to be down on everything they do.

Chester™
9 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

As a whippet owner, I love it!

Get the feeling you're going to be down on everything they do.

Not really. I was brought up with greyhounds and my family used to run them all over the country. I absolutely love them. I'm just failing to see the point of using a sport thats having a real hard time for animal abuse (some right and some wrong) and a sport that has no links to the city any more.

They've taken a bit of heat already (from neutral punters) and admitted they had a long think about using it, so its not like its just me with concerns.

And there is little link to know what its advertising.

Edited by Chester™

Chester™

And would you blame me if I was down on everything they do? They've lied and colluded to get where they are. They've risked the future of top flight hockey in the city. And for what? Playing out petty squabbles in public.

1 minute ago, Chester™ said:

Not really. I was brought up with greyhounds and my family used to run them all over the country. I absolutely love them. I'm just failing to see the point of using a sport thats having a real hard time for animal abuse (some right and some wrong) and a sport that has no links to the city any more.

They've taken a bit of heat already (from neutral punters) and admitted they had a long think about using it, so its not like its just me with concerns.

And there is little link to know what its advertising.

Fair enough. Maybe they plan to run a greyhound racing outfit until the elite league lets them in :lol:

Do you think the Racers will get admitted to the top league next season?

Chester™
5 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

Fair enough. Maybe they plan to run a greyhound racing outfit until the elite league lets them in :lol:

Do you think the Racers will get admitted to the top league next season?

No.

From what I've heard, from some fairly reputable sources, they'll never be getting in, unless there's a drastic change of heart.

7 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

And would you blame me if I was down on everything they do? They've lied and colluded to get where they are. They've risked the future of top flight hockey in the city. And for what? Playing out petty squabbles in public.

Apologies. It was an ill-judged comment.

Chester™

Braehead have changed their name - they'll now be known as the Glasgow Clan.

Appears they didnt consult the fans (probably because the fans were always against it) and it hasnt have gone down too well. Their reasoning is it'll make it easier for recruitment because no one knew where Braehead was. If they did their job properly, it wouldnt be an issue. Plenty big name European teams manage just fine without the name of where they are. Very much looks to be a pointless exercise.

Not to mention they dont play in Glasgow and the logo is of Mel Gibson as William Wallace, rather than actually William Wallace :lol:

Edited by Chester™

rossaldinho

It's the Mel Gibson William Wallace that's getting me! I'd say it's unbelievable but anything is possible with those muppets! :lol:

2 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

Might as well just tank for the lottery again. 

#Lose4Hughes

Chester™
15 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

#Lose4Hughes

I can see it now:

Heehaw season. Finish dead last. Lottery happens - and you lose out and drop to 2.

7 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

I can see it now:

Heehaw season. Finish dead last. Lottery happens - and you lose out and drop to 2.

...and Bergevin goes off the board and drafts someone ranked 35th in December.

On 06/07/2018 at 10:38, Chester™ said:

Looks like Karlsson to Tampa is done.

Or not. :lol: Still favourites apparently, even with re-signing Kucherov yesterday.

In other news, Habs tell Patches he wont be getting a new contract and will be dealt ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some bits of news that might be of interest:

Habs trade Rychel for Shinkaruk - https://www.tsn.ca/flames-get-rychel-from-habs-for-shinkaruk-1.1160296

Sens Asst. GM, Randy Lee, finally gets the boot, sorry, 'resigns' - https://www.tsn.ca/senators-assistant-gm-lee-resigns-1.1160953

and perhaps most interestingly:

Hayley Wickenheiser, hired by the Leafs, as Assistant Director of Player Development - https://www.tsn.ca/leafs-hire-6-time-olympian-wickenheiser-1.1161710

8 hours ago, Gershwin said:

This off season has been soooooo boring. 

Can someone make some big trades plz?!?!

Been dismal.

EIHL about to start too. :sob:

21 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

Been dismal.

EIHL about to start too. :sob:

Not been down to see the Racers yet?

6 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

Not been down to see the Racers yet?

Judging by the pictures from last night, not many have. :lol:

I've done my time watching SNL hockey. Some of it is like watching a live version of when Youngblood went for his tryout with the Bulldogs. You know, guys falling over the blue line and that...

Edited by Chester™

33 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

Judging by the pictures from last night, not many have. :lol:

I've done my time watching SNL hockey. Some of it is like watching a live version of when Youngblood went for his tryout with the Bulldogs. You know, guys falling over the blue line and that...

Youngblood! What a film.

Never been to an SNL game, but I'd imagine the standard isn't great. Many moons ago I used to play in the BIPHA roller league and most of the players were SNL regulars. Half the teams in that league were atrocious! We were only half decent cause we had 3 flying Finns :lol:

2 hours ago, Gershwin said:

Youngblood! What a film.

Never been to an SNL game, but I'd imagine the standard isn't great. Many moons ago I used to play in the BIPHA roller league and most of the players were SNL regulars. Half the teams in that league were atrocious! We were only half decent cause we had 3 flying Finns :lol:

The standard is pretty poor. Its like night and day from the old Heineken days as well. Credit to the players who do it for the love of the game. But however they want to dress it up, it just isnt a great level to watch nor is it like the Real Racers either.

If they ever get accepted to the EIHL, it'll be interesting to see how many fans they retain. Plenty going because there's only 2 imports and to support 'are [sic] boys' and were pretty derogatory to the Elite League. They'll look mighty silly if they (Hand x2 and Dunn) get what they wish (despite now saying it was 'too expensive').

Edited by Chester™

3 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

The standard is pretty poor. Its like night and day from the old Heineken days as well. Credit to the players who do it for the love of the game. But however they want to dress it up, it just isnt a great level to watch nor is it like the Real Racers either.

If they ever get accepted to the EIHL, it'll be interesting to see how many fans they retain. Plenty going because there's only 2 imports and to support 'are [sic] boys' and were pretty derogatory to the Elite League. They'll look mighty silly if they (Hand x2 and Dunn) get what they wish (despite now saying it was 'too expensive').

I noticed they're running their shop through Football Nation.

19 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

I noticed they're running their shop through Football Nation.

They had to do something. Their website is a solitary page saying 'Racers are Back'. :laugh:

For some of the decent output they've actually had, they're really amateurish in other areas.

Edited by Chester™

4 hours ago, Chester™ said:

They had to do something. Their website is a solitary page saying 'Racers are Back'. :laugh:

For some of the decent output they've actually had, they're really amateurish in other areas.

Racers Social media presence and communication with fans has been far superior to the Caps. We could go round all day debating the rights and wrongs of how it was done, but the Caps were the major architects of their own downfall.

I went to both games at the weekend and enjoyed them both. The standard may be a bit lower but it was competative and the players gave 100%(something you couldn't say about Caps the last few years!).

With the English and Scottish association merging at the end of the year, hopefully the bigger clubs outside the Elite league can sort out an all British 2nd tier.

11 minutes ago, HMS Jambo said:

Racers Social media presence and communication with fans has been far superior to the Caps. We could go round all day debating the rights and wrongs of how it was done, but the Caps were the major architects of their own downfall.

I went to both games at the weekend and enjoyed them both. The standard may be a bit lower but it was competative and the players gave 100%(something you couldn't say about Caps the last few years!).

With the English and Scottish association merging at the end of the year, hopefully the bigger clubs outside the Elite league can sort out an all British 2nd tier.

As I said, some of their output has been good (suppose it helps when you're paying a company to do it). Some, not so good.

Everyone takes blame for what happened, from Scott and his practices, the rink refusing to give long term leases, costing the Caps sponsorships and in the process, thousands (likely, hundreds of thousands) of pounds to the Hands/Dunn and their questionable practices, leading the EIHL to say no.

As for a new second tier, its been discussed for long enough. I'll believe it when I see it.

Until all parties are gone, thats me done with British hockey. Its f*cked from top to bottom. Too much self interest and egos. I've seen both my teams go 'cheerybye'. Bollocks if I'm putting time, energy and considerable cash in waiting to see another get humped by either the rink, the setup or both.

Edited by Chester™

• 2 weeks later...

Sorted some cheap seats ($29) for the San Jose vs. Buffalo game in October. Looking forward to seeing Dahlin in the (distant) flesh.

5 hours ago, Chester™ said:

Max Pac traded to Vegas for Tatar, Suzuki and a 2nd rounder in 2019

Hmm. Had a feeling a trade was coming as he wasn't at a fans' summit over the weekend.

Seems like my Habs' jerseys are cursed - have a Subban home jersey and a MP Winter Classic jersey. Might have to get myself an Alzner one :look:

Hope they give the Captaincy to Gallagher. I think he deserves it.

Actually seems like a decent return for MP given the situation and his shan form last year. Plus the fact he'll be wanting silly money when he could easily be on the decline. Quite like the sound of Nick Suzuki in particular. Only downside seems to be his size.

We've been here before but:

Karlsson sweepstakes underway again. McKenzie and Dreger reporting San Jose making a big push. LeBrun saying Dallas and Vegas also in but how much the former will be, after signing Seguin for 8 years, at $78.8m...

• Maple Leaf unpinned this topic
  • Maple Leaf pinned this topic