NHL playoffs

Jimmy McNulty

JamboInSouthsea

Konrad has no comment to make <_<

Konrad is pleased however that things got back on track versus "The Wild" :lol:

Konrad has had a heavy weekend and watching hockey was not on Konrad's agenda :mellow:

Konrad bids you a good evening :thumbsup::lol:

Indeed a good win for them last night.

Damned if I know what I'm gonna do when I get home from work tonight as there's no games on.

Bad result for Hearts today...very poor.

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gershwin

• Chester™

• JamboInSouthsea

• alwaysthereinspirit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

New York Huns vs Chicago has just started if anyone is interested. Didn't realise the clocks hadn't gone back over in America.

Jimmy McNulty

New York Huns vs Chicago has just started if anyone is interested. Didn't realise the clocks hadn't gone back over in America.

Clocks go back next week.

Only have regular cable so no live games for me tonight. Have been surfing between baseball, NFL and a replay of the WBA Blackpool game from the weekend.

Clocks go back next week.

Only have regular cable so no live games for me tonight. Have been surfing between baseball, NFL and a replay of the WBA Blackpool game from the weekend.

Good stuff - means I can watch tonight and not feel like I've got ME when I wake up in the morning!

Parise out for 3 months - not a great start for the Devils!

Habs being completely outplayed in Columbus. Frustrating.

JamboInSouthsea

Parise out for 3 months - not a great start for the Devils!

Habs being completely outplayed in Columbus. Frustrating.

Just got in, what's best game to watch at the mo? atdhe.net got every game on

Just got in, what's best game to watch at the mo? atdhe.net got every game on

Not sure. Habs game is pretty dull. Ottawa are 3 up on the leafs - usually a wee bit of needle in that match up, and San Jose Minnesota is tied nearing the end of the first. I've only really been watching the Montreal game... :verymad: - been pressing a little more towards the end of the 2nd but the PP is still balls.

Vancouver Edmonton is just about to start - well in about 20 mins - that could be a good one to watch.

Edited by Gershwin

JamboInSouthsea

Will watch Habs game just cos you never know what a good team talk will do...have seen games that totally change from on period to the next...Blackhawks comeback a couple of weeks ago being a prime example.

Other than that it's Canucks vs Oilers on at 2 so will see how alert or otherwise I am. Quite possibly a good physical or just plain violent game.

Not been a good few days for the Leafs. Blistering start fading away, Dion 'Sloppy Seconds' Phaneuf gets booed by the home fans, sending Brian Burke into Brian Burke mode and noo Phaneuf takes a sore one and might be out for awhile.

Not been a good few days for the Leafs. Blistering start fading away, Dion 'Sloppy Seconds' Phaneuf gets booed by the home fans, sending Brian Burke into Brian Burke mode and noo Phaneuf takes a sore one and might be out for awhile.

The league seems very tight this year.

Funny how the leaf fans can turn so quickly - they've obviously forgotten how shite they were for the last few seasons.

The league seems very tight this year.

Funny how the leaf fans can turn so quickly - they've obviously forgotten how shite they were for the last few seasons.

It certainly is. Its amazing what happens when a salary cap is brought in and administered properly (take note Elite League and other sports in Europe!).

You've said about Leaf fans exactly what Burke did. Its no surprise. Ive read on other fora, Leaf fans giving it 'its our year' etc. :o

And I forgot two things:

Phaneuf out for 4-6 weeks

and Gershwin. Have you been to any Caps games this year? Our coach has quit already!

And I forgot two things:

Phaneuf out for 4-6 weeks

and Gershwin. Have you been to any Caps games this year? Our coach has quit already!

Nah, I've not been since last year. But I did read about his resignation. To be honest, he seemed a fairly shite appointment from the beginning. Difficult to judge as I haven't been to watch the team play, but one thing Christiansen had going for him was his ability to spot a player. He brought some of the best players in the Elite League over to the country. The team this year appears to be fairly average.

The Elite League is a mess anyway.

Nah, I've not been since last year. But I did read about his resignation. To be honest, he seemed a fairly shite appointment from the beginning. Difficult to judge as I haven't been to watch the team play, but one thing Christiansen had going for him was his ability to spot a player. He brought some of the best players in the Elite League over to the country. The team this year appears to be fairly average.

The Elite League is a mess anyway.

Actually, the forwards are pretty good. Taylor and St Jacques (who played for the Evil Mark Morrison the last couple of years) are two of the best import forwards in the league, and I think both are in the top ten scorers in the league. The goalie, Scott Reid, is exceptional. Gratton didnt get them playing as a team for me. D lacks a bit, though Kyle is playing very well and we've a wee 17 year old, Willie Nicolson, who came from the Dark Side, who is a real prospect. We just need to play more together and we should do well.

As for Doug, he had some spotting talent. But the main doods, were down to Scott Neil.

Its worrying that the crowds are slipping a bit. We need you back Gershwin! :lol:

Edited by Chester?

Actually, the forwards are pretty good. Taylor and St Jacques (who played for the Evil Mark Morrison the last couple of years) are two of the best import forwards in the league, and I think both are in the top ten scorers in the league. The goalie, Scott Reid, is exceptional. Gratton didnt get them playing as a team for me. D lacks a bit, though Kyle is playing very well and we've a wee 17 year old, Willie Nicolson, who came from the Dark Side, who is a real prospect. We just need to play more together and we should do well.

As for Doug, he had some spotting talent. But the main doods, were down to Scott Neil.

Its worrying that the crowds are slipping a bit. We need you back Gershwin! :lol:

Yeah, I should really get along - I hadn't really been much in the last few years to be honest...maybe 4/5 games a season.

I actually have a similar feeling when I'm at Murrayfield that a lot of Hearts fans might have with the 05/06 season...i.e. what could have been. I remember the days of the Heineken Premier League so fondly, and was gutted when the Racers folded that hockey at MIR will never make me feel the way it did in the early 90s. And MIR might be one of the greatest rinks in Britain but the club really needs a modern rink to move forward. The commercial side of the business seems stuck in the 80s.

Do you go every week? The Caps do have a great group of fans who really keep the club going...

I go when money permits. Me being a poor student. :lol: I usually make most games though. Had a mini protest because they were only doing extra cheap deals (2 for ?5) for Edin Uni, Napier and Heriot Watt and I go to Stirling. In terms of general cost, ?11 for a concession and ?15 an adult is rather steep.

I kinda know what you mean about the Racers. Its a big difference, though I think the standard of hockey is generally better, ie no more 17-11 scorelines! Im not sure the standard of import is as good (Chris Palmer is my idol) though the goaltending is certainly a lot better! The crowds are even down since the BNL days, though many put that down to the lack of local derbies with Fife et al, yet we now have Braehead and Dundee.

The rink will always be an issue until those in authority (yes YOU THE COUNCIL) get their fingers out and have a proper multi-purpose arena in the city. Ive taken a few newbies along and they all say the same; the rink stops me from coming more often. PR is an issue too. For example, ive a Canadian friend who has been here for 8 years and didnt know there was a team. There is a market out there if you look hard enough, even though money is tight.

You know yourself though, that those in charge are too self centred and egotistical to actually change things for the better. :down:

Jimmy McNulty

Looks like i've been missing a good game in Washington, 4-4.

As soon as that went to a shoot-out we knew who was gonna win :(

At least the Leafs got a point. Came back from 3-1 down shows some fighting spirit.

I go when money permits. Me being a poor student. :lol: I usually make most games though. Had a mini protest because they were only doing extra cheap deals (2 for ?5) for Edin Uni, Napier and Heriot Watt and I go to Stirling. In terms of general cost, ?11 for a concession and ?15 an adult is rather steep.

I kinda know what you mean about the Racers. Its a big difference, though I think the standard of hockey is generally better, ie no more 17-11 scorelines! Im not sure the standard of import is as good (Chris Palmer is my idol) though the goaltending is certainly a lot better! The crowds are even down since the BNL days, though many put that down to the lack of local derbies with Fife et al, yet we now have Braehead and Dundee.

The rink will always be an issue until those in authority (yes YOU THE COUNCIL) get their fingers out and have a proper multi-purpose arena in the city. Ive taken a few newbies along and they all say the same; the rink stops me from coming more often. PR is an issue too. For example, ive a Canadian friend who has been here for 8 years and didnt know there was a team. There is a market out there if you look hard enough, even though money is tight.

You know yourself though, that those in charge are too self centred and egotistical to actually change things for the better. :down:

Palmer, Matulik and Hand will always be my favourite scoring line! They were ******* awesome. Kyle McDonaugh was pretty decent too.

Palmer, Matulik and Hand will always be my favourite scoring line! They were ******* awesome. Kyle McDonaugh was pretty decent too.

It is arguably the greatest line ever in UK hockey. I loved watching them.

If anyone is interested, the Pens got whooped 5-2 in Dallas, but Sidney went fighting and won (again!). :lol:

alwaysthereinspirit

Tim Thomas became the first Bruins goalie ever to start a season 7 - 0. Not sure what the league record is but as one of the original 6 thats a pretty good record to own.

It is arguably the greatest line ever in UK hockey. I loved watching them.

If anyone is interested, the Pens got whooped 5-2 in Dallas, but Sidney went fighting and won (again!). :lol:

And Mike Ware on the blue line - before he had to have anger management counselling! His slap shot was ace!

The Sid fight was pretty gash. They didn't even take off their helmets...couple of puffs :whistling:

And Mike Ware on the blue line - before he had to have anger management counselling! His slap shot was ace!

The Sid fight was pretty gash. They didn't even take off their helmets...couple of puffs :whistling:

With Paul Hand next to him. Proper enforcers. None of these McMorrow types.

And as a side note, did you know that Ware learned to figure skate? :o

The Sid fight has a decent enough rating on the 'hard to please' hockeyfights.com. At least he is willing to drop the gloves. Unlike some other 'superstar' who needs people to cover his cheap shot ass or dive off the bench at the first sign of trouble. :whistling:

Edited by Chester?

With Paul Hand next to him. Proper enforcers. None of these McMorrow types.

And as a side note, did you know that Ware learned to figure skate? :o

The Sid fight has a decent enough rating on the 'hard to please' hockeyfights.com. At least he is willing to drop the gloves. Unlike some other 'superstar' who needs people to cover his cheap shot ass or dive off the bench at the first sign of trouble. :whistling:

Get him on Dancing on Ice!

Talking of the Racers' blue liners - The last season they also had Scott Plews #77...he was class...although thuggery was the main part of his game!

Get him on Dancing on Ice!

Talking of the Racers' blue liners - The last season they also had Scott Plews #77...he was class...although thuggery was the main part of his game!

Good old Plewsey. Total bam. He had that grin. The grin of menace that good enforcers have. :D

Im assuming he got off with his assault charge after breaking Lynchie's jaw in a fight on the ice...

Good old Plewsey. Total bam. He had that grin. The grin of menace that good enforcers have. :D

Im assuming he got off with his assault charge after breaking Lynchie's jaw in a fight on the ice...

Is this the story you mean?

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Ice-hockey-player-may-face.5008438.jp

It's funny to think he would have been 17/18 in the 94/95 season.

Is this the story you mean?

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Ice-hockey-player-may-face.5008438.jp

It's funny to think he would have been 17/18 in the 94/95 season.

There is that one too. IIRC, he was meant to have been charged for the Lynchie incident too.

As for Dutiame, that had been brewing for sometime. I dont know if you were at Paul Hand's retiral game, but thats where Plewsey flew into the Flyers bench to hammer Dutiame, after the latter fired the puck at the former's head. This was after the whistle, its just missed and went on to hit someone in the crowd.

There is that one too. IIRC, he was meant to have been charged for the Lynchie incident too.

As for Dutiame, that had been brewing for sometime. I dont know if you were at Paul Hand's retiral game, but thats where Plewsey flew into the Flyers bench to hammer Dutiame, after the latter fired the puck at the former's head. This was after the whistle, its just missed and went on to hit someone in the crowd.

http://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/flyers_coach_demands_action_1_151734

This must be the one you mean.

Indeed. They grew up together as well.

You've got some time on your hands today researching all those news articles... :whistling:

:lol:

A wee bit. Did most of my work by lunch time and am now watching old british hockey footage on youtube.

A wee bit. Did most of my work by lunch time and am now watching old british hockey footage on youtube.

Brilliant! Have a look for any Eric Cairns or Rob Trumbley (I miss him in Edinburgh!) footage. Usually good for a laugh!

There are a few old Racers vids from the last weekend of the team on there too. It should have even older ones and it only proves how pi55 poor the goaltending was!

Brilliant! Have a look for any Eric Cairns or Rob Trumbley (I miss him in Edinburgh!) footage. Usually good for a laugh!

There are a few old Racers vids from the last weekend of the team on there too. It should have even older ones and it only proves how pi55 poor the goaltending was!

This one is pretty funny - mainly for Cairns acting like a trumpet. I like the way the stick boy throws a stick into the Chaventry bench at the end.

I was look for a good brawl from Cardiff last season but I couldn't find it.

This one is pretty funny - mainly for Cairns acting like a trumpet. I like the way the stick boy throws a stick into the Chaventry bench at the end.

I was look for a good brawl from Cardiff last season but I couldn't find it.

Thats the one I was thinking of. IIRC, Cairns skates by the bench and smacks someone just because! :lol:

What Cardiff game was that? I might have a hunt.

Thats the one I was thinking of. IIRC, Cairns skates by the bench and smacks someone just because! :lol:

What Cardiff game was that? I might have a hunt.

I can't remember who it was against, but it's a proper bench clearing brawl. For some reason I think it was the Panthers or Hull. There's a good bit of stick chucking and some meaty suspensions were handed out IIRC...it's on the caps forum somewhere.

JamboInSouthsea

May be showing my age but got into ice hockey watching Murrayfield Racers (i believe) with Paul and Tony HAnd being the two main men up front...quality stuff.

This one?:

Yip, that's the one. I love a good bench clearing brawl - don't get them as much these days.

I was reading an interesting article on the hockey news blog about how nhl.com has been properly glorifying all the fights this season...yet they seem to have clamped down on it all in recent years.

Yip, that's the one. I love a good bench clearing brawl - don't get them as much these days.

I was reading an interesting article on the hockey news blog about how nhl.com has been properly glorifying all the fights this season...yet they seem to have clamped down on it all in recent years.

Im not sure 'clamped down' is really fair. They've tried to reduce it by encouraging the instigator rule (which if used properly can allow for the players to police themselves), yet I think fights have went up over the last couple of years. I know they are worried about taking the helmet off, after well publicised problems in lower and junior leagues.

Have you read this book?:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Code-Unwritten-Rules-Fighting-Retaliation/dp/1572437561/ref=sr_1_20?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1288888899&sr=1-20

I thoroughly recommend it. Its also good to educate people who think its just an excuse for mindless violence.

Im not sure 'clamped down' is really fair. They've tried to reduce it by encouraging the instigator rule (which if used properly can allow for the players to police themselves), yet I think fights have went up over the last couple of years. I know they are worried about taking the helmet off, after well publicised problems in lower and junior leagues.

Have you read this book?:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Code-Unwritten-Rules-Fighting-Retaliation/dp/1572437561/ref=sr_1_20?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1288888899&sr=1-20

I thoroughly recommend it. Its also good to educate people who think its just an excuse for mindless violence.

The 'Third man in' rule (oo-er) ruined it for me.

The 'Third man in' rule (oo-er) ruined it for me.

'Third Man In' has been about for many years. I firmly blame the Instigator rule and thats backed up in that book. One of the worst rules in Hockey along with touch icing and the 2 min penalty, for putting the puck over the boards, in the defensive zone.

JamboInSouthsea

The 'Unlikely Scraps' section on NHL.com is quite funny...check out the commentary on the Datsyuk fight!!

JamboInSouthsea

Commentator/pundit Heidi Androl is quite a babe too for this game.

Edited by JamboInSouthsea

• Maple Leaf unpinned this topic
  • Maple Leaf pinned this topic