Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Fitness Thread

sadj
3 hours ago, Erik said:

I've trained at Pure down at Ocean Terminal for a couple of different spells which coincided with living in the area etc.

On my more recent spell training there, I recall watching one day as one of their female trainers tried, and failed miserably to perform just one solitary pull up in front of a punter.

Now granted, i'm not going to say that every single PT in the world should be some kinda athletic monster who can batter out reps all day just for fun - but surely to goodness you'd like to think they were at least capable of a pull up?! I dunno, it just make it look very unprofessional if nothing else I suppose.

There has been a massive upsurge in people training as PTs the last few years , people see it as a growing industry and a fast buck. As I said , to me its about the person your helping and listening to them and their needs , not yourself and not money. For instance if I had a client struggling with something mentally it could be just a case of walk round the town with them and let them get it out their system for that session in order to progress. 

I have my ups and downs and iv seen me go into the gym and train for 5mins before I go “nope” and head home. 

A PT is selling themselves and that is both your personal connection and your aesthetic look. I have a few mates who have been management in Pure gym and iv moaned at them as Iv seen PTs ealking past people putting themselves or partners at risk by ignoring them squatting wrongly. The are in a position of responsibility aswell that they often forget. Im lucky in that i can walk up to someone (or could before I got ill) and due to the aesthetics they would say ok this guy clearly knows his stuff so ill listen. Its also how you speak to them. You can make them understand and listen without embarrassing them or hurting their ego.

As you say though its professionalism and perception. If i said get yourself a PT down at Ocean Terminal the last person you’d go near would be that trainer and even at that your thought process would be - hmm if thats the standard of PT im not going to get one in this gym. 

The pull up thing. You should be able to do the basics definitely (including pull ups). However it could be a case of functional strength training is not her thing  , possibly its heavy weight strength training , explosive power , size gains or weight loss through cardio. That is a big stretch though as even without being a calisthenics person you should be able to do one pull up. 

RS86
On 23/12/2018 at 06:05, ri Alban said:

How's training, Have you any upcoming events?

Looking for some programs, as I want to get back to the gym but have no motivation anymore. Something different , like powerlifting or strongman might do the trick. If you or anyone else could help , that would be grand. Thanks in advance.

Taking a year out from powerlifting and back to strongman this year. Entered Scotland Strongest man u90s this year so training towards that. Enjoying the slight change in training and having some different goals

For training programs a mate kindly shared this link with me recently, lots of different tried and tested routines you can try for various goals

https://analyzetraining.com/spreadsheets/

RS86
On 07/01/2019 at 05:54, ri Alban said:

Anabolic steroids etc... Has anyone used them? Thinking about it, as the pain is too much to train now and I'm told this will allow me to do so. Do need my baws anymore, so that's not a problem.

My thinking here would be identify and address the issue first, find out if there is an injury there or if it is mobility related. Adding drugs may mask the issue and allow you to train through it but it is more likely to become serious further down the line as it won't have been addressed. Looked up Smashwerx on youtube (Trevor Bachmeyer) if you need some ideas on mobility and things you can try, some great info in his vids

RS86

Re PTs and learning how to lift that gym I mentioned a while back on here has opened now Lift Gym on Gorgie Rd. Andy who owns it is very knowledgable and is an experienced powerlifter but he also has some pretty clued up guys working with him (another lad Robert who also competes in powerlifting does classes teaching the basics I believe). Would be well worth a visit even of just to do a few classes to pick up technique advice for anyone who is unsure.

sadj
3 hours ago, RS86 said:

Re PTs and learning how to lift that gym I mentioned a while back on here has opened now Lift Gym on Gorgie Rd. Andy who owns it is very knowledgable and is an experienced powerlifter but he also has some pretty clued up guys working with him (another lad Robert who also competes in powerlifting does classes teaching the basics I believe). Would be well worth a visit even of just to do a few classes to pick up technique advice for anyone who is unsure.

Well worth it if your going to a gym with poor pts. Guys like that will help you aswell. Guessing your the same from previous convos. Usually decent sized/good strength guys won’t think twice giving advice or tweaks to movements and explain why. 

RS86
2 hours ago, sadj said:

Well worth it if your going to a gym with poor pts. Guys like that will help you aswell. Guessing your the same from previous convos. Usually decent sized/good strength guys won’t think twice giving advice or tweaks to movements and explain why. 

It's something I quite like about the gym I go to just now (Body Academy in Perth) that there's plenty of experienced folk - a lot who compete in bodybuilding powerlifting strongman and even highland games, and everyone is happy to help each other out. Been a decent amount of youngsters joined recently and seen them get pointers from a few folk and gave some advice myself, can't beat that kind of environment where everyone supports everyone

ri Alban
5 hours ago, RS86 said:

It's something I quite like about the gym I go to just now (Body Academy in Perth) that there's plenty of experienced folk - a lot who compete in bodybuilding powerlifting strongman and even highland games, and everyone is happy to help each other out. Been a decent amount of youngsters joined recently and seen them get pointers from a few folk and gave some advice myself, can't beat that kind of environment where everyone supports everyone

Do u think Tom Stoltman will ever best his big brother Luke. Couple of bears.

RS86
6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Do u think Tom Stoltman will ever best his big brother Luke. Couple of bears.

Already has, he won Scotland Strongest Man last year dethroning Luke

ri Alban
4 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Already has, he won Scotland Strongest Man last year dethroning Luke

Good lad!

RS86
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Good lad!

Tom has also loaded a 255kg stone over a yolk, heaviest stone anyone has ever lifted. He wants to take Brian Shaws record in comp.

Curious how he is going to do at the British in a few weeks. Still so young as well

ri Alban
3 hours ago, RS86 said:

Tom has also loaded a 255kg stone over a yolk, heaviest stone anyone has ever lifted. He wants to take Brian Shaws record in comp.

Curious how he is going to do at the British in a few weeks. Still so young as well

Eddie's retired, has he not? Bodybuilding.

RS86
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Eddie's retired, has he not? Bodybuilding.

Yeah he's done. Was never going to stay at that bodyweight long, 200kg isn't going to be healthy for most people. Different for Thor at 6' 9 than Eddie at 6' 2. Plus a lot of drugs needed to do what he did, big demand on his system.

He won't do BBing cos his waist and frame are too wide, aiming for film roles now I think

Edited by RS86

Stokesy
On 10/01/2019 at 11:40, sadj said:

The pull up thing. You should be able to do the basics definitely (including pull ups). However it could be a case of functional strength training is not her thing  , possibly its heavy weight strength training , explosive power , size gains or weight loss through cardio. That is a big stretch though as even without being a calisthenics person you should be able to do one pull up. 

Old injuries are a potential issue as well. I don't do pull-ups/chin-ups as I had a series of shoulder injuries back when I did judo competitively. I can eek a few out but it leads to several days pain where I can barely use my left arm. I learned a while back to do relatively light weight lat pull-downs and so on as it's a similar movement in a much more controlled manner.

sadj
35 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

Old injuries are a potential issue as well. I don't do pull-ups/chin-ups as I had a series of shoulder injuries back when I did judo competitively. I can eek a few out but it leads to several days pain where I can barely use my left arm. I learned a while back to do relatively light weight lat pull-downs and so on as it's a similar movement in a much more controlled manner.

Agreed but as a pt you should still be aboe to demonstrate the exercises your showing clients. There is certain exercises i dont do due to injuries but would still demonstrate to a client or if needed one of my colleagues would. 

sadj

Is anyone near Portobello that could do a favour n take some weights to my mum in South Queensferry? Its just some light weights n an ezbar. Im just stuck and cant get down myself