*JKB Christmas Cracker 2018 is underway!* 12 days of prizes. Don't forget to renew your subs if you want to take part... PM admin if you need help. Read more... ×
Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Fitness Thread

ri Alban
6 hours ago, RS86 said:

It has actually changed over time tbh. When I started competing I decided within 5 years I will win Scotland Strongest man u90kg, but I no longer have any hunger for strongman so I am focused on goals in powerlifting instead. Just found strongman too hard to recover from vs powerlifting.

I'm 5' 8 and just over 14 stone so realistically never going to do much in strongman anyway. To put it into perspective this is me beside my mate who is a pro strongman and took 1st in the Scotlands strongest man qualifier this year

5b3c75f80a160_Screenshot_20180704-0807422.thumb.png.8ac77a7d1bbfc2b84f00a350a35b2f11.png

In powerlifting I've competed for 2 years and placed 2nd in Scotland across all federations (in the 90kg class) 2 years in a row now. My total this year would have won the 100 ⅞class by over 100kg though ironically, the 90s seems a very competitive class compared to most.

Big goal is to win the Scottish 90 class within next 3 years. Main goal for this year is top 5 at the British. I want to win that too eventually, but mainly want to get myself up to a level where I can be competitive first.

Have qualified for the Europeans and Worlds but would like to do more domestically first before I even consider those. I'm also now hitting big enough totals to compete in the pro competitions for money which is kind of cool, but not quite good enough to win and pick up the prize money yet lol

Also wanted the u90 all-time British deadlift record, but it has been getting pushed up more and more in the past 12 months so it'll be a big ask. I'm at 310, record is 330.

Last smaller goal I currently have is aiming to finish the year with 3x bw squat, 2x bw bench and 3.5x bw deadlift at the British finals in November. That would equat to 270kg squat, 180kg bench and 315kg deadlift.

Good luck :thumb:

RS86
6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Good luck :thumb:

skacel51

Recently started deadlifting and was enjoying it but noticed the next day my lower back would be in agony and would have an effect on my training the next few days.

I asked a couple of trainers at the gym to watch my form and they told me my form was good so its maybe that my core, glutes or hips etc aren't strong enough and tight, which is what I think is causing the issue because I sit at a desk all day.

So I have started planking more and using a foam roller to try loosen up and get stronger but I am a bit worried about chucking myself back in to deadlifts in case I still keep getting the lower back pain. Has anyone had similar experiences or any advice?

ri Alban
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, skacel51 said:

Recently started deadlifting and was enjoying it but noticed the next day my lower back would be in agony and would have an effect on my training the next few days.

I asked a couple of trainers at the gym to watch my form and they told me my form was good so its maybe that my core, glutes or hips etc aren't strong enough and tight, which is what I think is causing the issue because I sit at a desk all day.

So I have started planking more and using a foam roller to try loosen up and get stronger but I am a bit worried about chucking myself back in to deadlifts in case I still keep getting the lower back pain. Has anyone had similar experiences or any advice?

Do Deads from shin high to build your lower back and grip strength. The time under tension doing 3/4 dead is better too. You don't need to deadlift from the floor.  Chuck in some front squats/squats/leg press for your quads. 

Edited by ri Alban

RS86
8 hours ago, skacel51 said:

If possible take a video from side view I'll have a look

Stokesy
On 7/18/2018 at 10:55, skacel51 said:

I found that planking buggered my lower back. Probably dodgy form so watch your form with that as well.

RS86

Bench PB tonight, up to 172.5kg paused now. Been at 170 for what feels like a while so was nice to finally see it progressing. Need to get it up to 180+ though

ri Alban
Posted (edited)
On 25/07/2018 at 23:42, RS86 said:

Bench PB tonight, up to 172.5kg paused now. Been at 170 for what feels like a while so was nice to finally see it progressing. Need to get it up to 180+ though

Have you seen the YouTube video of the boy being assaulted mid deadlift. I'd have put the nut right on that clown if that was my boy or me he did it to. Total arsehole. 

Edited by ri Alban

RS86
59 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Have you seen the YouTube video of the boy being assaulted mid deadlift. I'd have put the nut right on that clown if that was my boy or me he did it to. Total arsehole. 

Yeah what an idiot. That could have seriously hurt the lad and was totally uncalled for. A member of staff lost his job over that as he had asked the guy to have a word and intimidate him and the guy was banned from the gym, but he deserved a good slap for that.

The young guy who was lifting is coached by a powerlifter called Pete Rubish who is v well known in the sport and has 129k followers on instagram so the video of the idiot has had a ton of exposure, i'm sure he will get his comeuppance

Stokesy

It's been all over the main fitness YouTube channels. I would assume everyone that's interested in lifting has seen it.

Stuart McNeill

After having been out the gym since ending of the uni year. 

I've come to the conclusion I need to start again, slobbing about for three months over the summer just working and doing nothing. 

Getting older, better take it serious once again before it gets out of control. 

RS86
2 hours ago, Stuart McNeill said:

After having been out the gym since ending of the uni year. 

I've come to the conclusion I need to start again, slobbing about for three months over the summer just working and doing nothing. 

Getting older, better take it serious once again before it gets out of control. 

Every day that passes it will get harder, bet if you make a point of going over thr weekend you'll get back into the swing again.

I've got a comp in 9 weeks and another in 12 so things are gradually getting heavier again for me which has meant a tough week

Erik

Had been going to Crossfit on a 'two classes a week' basis for a while but was finding that due to being limited to just the two, I was finding myself picking and choosing the stuff that I felt more comfortable doing and as a result wasn't really pushing myself the way I'd wanted.

So - decided to sack my 'normal' gym membership at Pure and just go all in on the crossfit with an unlimited membership there - meaning rather than doing 2 crossfit WOD's and maybe 3-4 trips to Pure, i'm now just doing 5-6 Crossfit WOD's a week.

Its been tough for sure and now that i'm being less selective over what I've been doing its been a much bigger ask - as a result I found myself pretty wiped out last week. Feeling pretty drained - but, its been enjoyable none the less.

ri Alban

Back to muay thai at the start of September after 9 years away. Cannae wait. This time my deadlifting should have improved my clinch and throws. 

sadj
On 18/07/2018 at 10:55, skacel51 said:

iv a fracture in my spine that i find makes deadlifts incredibly uncomfy for me so I just do rack pulls instead. Literally the same movement bar the bottom 6inches. 

are you using a belt? How heavy were you going , had you stretched/loosened off first. Could be many things even something as simple as the angle or position of your feet putting stress on the muscles or posture is slightly off. 

RS86

Spent the past 5 days moving house which isn't such an easy feat with 4 kids. Decided to cram 2 sessions into one tonight. Squatted 170kg 24 times and benched 125kg 34 times. Just a tad ****ed now!!

Erik

I used to read this thread somewhat naïve to what the significance of the numbers were.

Its only when you really start to try for yourself and pay attention to the numbers that you realise just how impressive some folks work is lol!!

RS86
10 hours ago, Erik said:

I used to read this thread somewhat naïve to what the significance of the numbers were.

Its only when you really start to try for yourself and pay attention to the numbers that you realise just how impressive some folks work is lol!!

It's sometimes difficult to equate. I find a lot of friends and family I know who don't lift generally don't realise how much weight is on a bar until you convert it to stones for them, or people are more impressed seeing a car deadlift than a much heavier deadlift on a bar as it makes it relatable for them.

The Brow
1 hour ago, RS86 said:

It's sometimes difficult to equate. I find a lot of friends and family I know who don't lift generally don't realise how much weight is on a bar until you convert it to stones for them, or people are more impressed seeing a car deadlift than a much heavier deadlift on a bar as it makes it relatable for them.

170kg squat 24 times is ****ing monstrous. 

Im up to 120kg for one (79kg BW) and I was ****ed after it 

RS86
2 hours ago, The Brow said:

170kg squat 24 times is ****ing monstrous. 

Im up to 120kg for one (79kg BW) and I was ****ed after it 

Luckily wasn't all one set, 8 sets of 3 reps. But you can imagine how my legs feel today i'm sure haha

The Godfather
18 hours ago, RS86 said:

Luckily wasn't all one set, 8 sets of 3 reps. But you can imagine how my legs feel today i'm sure haha

That’s very impressive. Managed a 177.5 kg pb other week and was delighted ! Like you say folk who don’t lift don’t get it and struggle to put into context. Started weights few years back with 1000lb target for single squat, bench and deadlift. Managed it last year and was really pleased. I’m 47 and 80 kg. Being a short arse helps in squats!

Good to read of others successes! 

RS86
4 hours ago, The Godfather said:

That’s very impressive. Managed a 177.5 kg pb other week and was delighted ! Like you say folk who don’t lift don’t get it and struggle to put into context. Started weights few years back with 1000lb target for single squat, bench and deadlift. Managed it last year and was really pleased. I’m 47 and 80 kg. Being a short arse helps in squats!

Good to read of others successes! 

177.5kg at 80 is very good. Particularly at your age too. My training partner is 51 and started with me after giving up rugby and he loves it. As the saying goes age is just a number, he is getting stronger all the time.

ri Alban
6 hours ago, RS86 said:

177.5kg at 80 is very good. Particularly at your age too. My training partner is 51 and started with me after giving up rugby and he loves it. As the saying goes age is just a number, he is getting stronger all the time.

Patronising post of the year. :rofl:

RS86
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Patronising post of the year. :rofl:

Not at all, there is a reason all the masters records in powerlifting are lower than the open records obviously but plenty folk don't let age hold them back. Andy (my training partner) started with a 120kg squat at 110kg bodyweight and within a year training with me I got him to 230kg, deadlift from around 160kg to 225kg. His bench is still shit though haha

smartin1987

Advice needed guys and girls. I have need to start to exercise been saying it for a while but now i feel like i want to do it. Was thinking 5 a side for a hour to start me off trouble is ive not played 5s for about 15 years would i handle it? Any other suggestions where to start i work and have 2 young kids aged 5 and 6 so nothing to major. Thanks in advance 

ri Alban
16 minutes ago, smartin1987 said:

Advice needed guys and girls. I have need to start to exercise been saying it for a while but now i feel like i want to do it. Was thinking 5 a side for a hour to start me off trouble is ive not played 5s for about 15 years would i handle it? Any other suggestions where to start i work and have 2 young kids aged 5 and 6 so nothing to major. Thanks in advance 

20 minutes every morning up and down the stairs. That'll fire up th metabolism and help kick start your day. 

RS86
On 11/09/2018 at 18:09, smartin1987 said:

5s would be a good place to start. Just remember warm up well and go at your own pace. Add in a little extra fitness work elsewhere in the week, even just start with a 30 min walk and build it up from there.

ri Alban

Nae luck Phil Heath :rofl:

RS86
16 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Nae luck Phil Heath :rofl:

Fair play to Rhoden though. 42 or 43 years old I'm sure, must have thought his chance had been and gone.

ri Alban
7 hours ago, RS86 said:

Fair play to Rhoden though. 42 or 43 years old I'm sure, must have thought his chance had been and gone.

Yip, and Roelly should have been 2nd. Hopefully that's the end of the bubblegut era. 

The Brow

Bodybuilding to that extent is a mental illness. 

Looks ****ing rank as well. Tiny wee todgers and painted mahogany. **** that. 

The Godfather
On 08/09/2018 at 20:46, RS86 said:

Cheers! I agree age is no barrier to being able to get stronger, albeit at a slower rate than when younger. Other issue, for me, is I'm more injury/ache prone than when younger. Nowt can do about that tho!

RS86
3 hours ago, The Godfather said:

Cheers! I agree age is no barrier to being able to get stronger, albeit at a slower rate than when younger. Other issue, for me, is I'm more injury/ache prone than when younger. Nowt can do about that tho!

My training partner sees the physios from his old rugby club fairly regularly and has a full mobility programme to follow which helps him, but he has had a couple of set backs.

Ironically I just injured my tricep about an hour ago ffs, happens to us all

Wham Bam Austin McCann
On 28/09/2018 at 14:10, RS86 said:

My training partner sees the physios from his old rugby club fairly regularly and has a full mobility programme to follow which helps him, but he has had a couple of set backs.

Ironically I just injured my tricep about an hour ago ffs, happens to us all

You obviously know your body better than anyone, but unless I'm mistaken i've followed this thread over a year or so and you are injured very often. I'm only speaking as an ex Army PTI so my knowledge aint extensive but i'd say you're lifting too heavy :thumbsup:

RS86
13 hours ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

You obviously know your body better than anyone, but unless I'm mistaken i've followed this thread over a year or so and you are injured very often. I'm only speaking as an ex Army PTI so my knowledge aint extensive but i'd say you're lifting too heavy :thumbsup:

A lot but not all injuries are more just niggles that heal in a week or two or as soon as I have a rest week. A few that have been picked up cumulatively from weeks of increasing %s on lifts.

Pretty common when peaking strength for competitions as you are essentially forcing your body to overcompensate for the day. In powerlifting I've found it's not always who can lift the most, it's who can make it to the platform the least broken :lol: