Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

15 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Cheers, bud 👍

I'll be joining for 6 months today, but with the UFC and NFL playoffs this weekend, I've not slept a wink. So today might be a wash out after work. 

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9529004e7081e2038a6e

Getting the excuses in already lol

10 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

We returned to the gym yet? 

Had to delay it bud. New motor took priority and wiped me out. Working this weekend to pay for the gym on Sunday. 👍

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Went back last Sunday. So hard not to let the ego oot . 

I posted my return in the NFL thread. :jj_facepalm:

How were the doms after all that time off?

14 minutes ago, RS86 said:

I couldn't  scatch ma neck for about 4 days :D and the legs were a bit wobbly. But God I missed that feeling. I'm quite pleased as I can squat holding the plates, as I'm in agony with shoulder doing it the usual way. 

I'll be going now and then for now, with work and injury management, but I'm hoping to re-catch the bug, and be their at least once a day. Cardio will have to be work tho.  

And as Branch Warren once said, " If I wanted to be little, I'd lift little weights "

💪:D

Edited by ri Alban

18 minutes ago, RS86 said:

And I've definitely a tendon injury that won't heal. The pain in at my left elbow is murder. That, the shoulder and bicep I'll just need to manage.(Same side)

Edited by ri Alban

9 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I couldn't  scatch ma neck for about 4 days :D and the legs were a bit wobbly. But God I missed that feeling. I'm quite pleased as I can squat holding the plates, as I'm in agony with shoulder doing it the usual way. 

I'll be going now and then for now, with work and injury management, but I'm hoping to re-catch the bug, and be their at least once a day. Cardio will have to be work tho.  

And as Branch Warren once said, " If I wanted to be little, I'd lift little weights "

💪:D

Haha. It'll have been a shock to the system I bet. I love the sore feeling after training as long as it's not bad enough to interfere with my day 😅

Have you tried squatting with a safety squat bar (if the gym has one)? My mate is having some shoulder issues and it has been a blessing for him as getting under a barbell was causing lots of pain through it.

I met Branch once when he did a seminar in Perth. His arms looked like a cartoon character, absolutely massive triceps. Insane.

14 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Haha. It'll have been a shock to the system I bet. I love the sore feeling after training as long as it's not bad enough to interfere with my day 😅

Have you tried squatting with a safety squat bar (if the gym has one)? My mate is having some shoulder issues and it has been a blessing for him as getting under a barbell was causing lots of pain through it.

I met Branch once when he did a seminar in Perth. His arms looked like a cartoon character, absolutely massive triceps. Insane.

I'll try the safety bar and Branch is mental at training, reckless but fun.

19 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I'll try the safety bar and Branch is mental at training, reckless but fun.

It's pretty good. I find it hits my quads more and also tips me forward so have to brace hard which carries over nicely for deadlifts.

He looks like he could step back on stage even now after a few years retired. Guy is machine

I managed to hurt my lower back yesterday squatting. Weight wasn't particularly heavy and it felt fine when I was lifting but, it started hurting as soon as I reracked the weights. I'm assuming that I leaned forward during a couple of reps. I think I should buy a belt to reduce the probability of me injuring my back again. Does anyone have any recommendations on brands to use, features to look for, and so on?

28 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

I managed to hurt my lower back yesterday squatting. Weight wasn't particularly heavy and it felt fine when I was lifting but, it started hurting as soon as I reracked the weights. I'm assuming that I leaned forward during a couple of reps. I think I should buy a belt to reduce the probability of me injuring my back again. Does anyone have any recommendations on brands to use, features to look for, and so on?

I've always stuck with Strength Shop for my lifting belts. Good value and priced lower than a lot of similar options from other companies. One I have now has done me nearly 5 years and has been put through a lot of hard use.

Personal preference is double prongs over lever.

Something along the lines of this -https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/strengthshop-10mm-double-prong-buckle-belt.html

26 minutes ago, RS86 said:

I've always stuck with Strength Shop for my lifting belts. Good value and priced lower than a lot of similar options from other companies. One I have now has done me nearly 5 years and has been put through a lot of hard use.

Personal preference is double prongs over lever.

Something along the lines of this -https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/strengthshop-10mm-double-prong-buckle-belt.html

Thanks for the advice. I'm checking their shop out now.

On 18/01/2022 at 11:31, The Old Tolbooth said:

I think this is the first time I've poked my head into this thread, and for those of you who know me, you would realise why! :lol: 

I just wanted to share something however, and it involves me getting a wee dog last March, my day used to consist of rolling out of bed, into the office in the same house, and then sit in front of the telly at night watching football with a beer or two, I done nothing, literally nothing when it came to exercise. 

Fast forward a few months, and although this might not seem like much to most of you on here, I'm now walking between 20-30 miles per week with the dog, out early in the morning and making sure I take a break early in the afternoon for an hour to walk him again, and some of the walks I'm doing are becoming more adventurous, my blood pressure has returned to normal after being a tad on the high side, my cholesterol levels are exactly where they should be again, I'm eating and sleeping better, and I genuinely feel like a totally revived person, and all it took was making a commitment to a little furry friend who's become my best pal in life.

He may have cost me £2k to purchase as a puppy, but what he's done for me cannot be put into monetary terms, we're good for each other and there's every chance he could have saved my life as I wasn't really heading in the right direction., although I'm not going to lie, I still like a beer or 6 during Hearts games but hangovers don't even seem so bad now. 

Sorry for the long ish post, but if this inspires anyone then it's worth it :thumbsup: 

Awesome to read and motivational , well in , keep smashing it ❤️🤘🏻

On 21/01/2022 at 10:35, Lord BJ said:

Not sure if this is the right place, seethe thread maybe more appropriate🤷🏻‍♂️

Anyway, at the gym, this morning doing legs and note a couple of young lads walking in. They proceed to a squat rack, where one starts showing the other how to squat. I don't pay too much attention until they load the bar, with 80kg for their first set. Which seemed heavy for them. I then proceed to watch them squat, which involves a 2 inch movement. My calf raises are deeper FFS. 

I ignored the urge to teach them the importance of ass to grass or just how to squat. 

They eventually did a one inch squat of 100kg😂 Ego lifting at its worst. 

Anyway was legs myself today. Just nipped to Gyle with missus, can barely feel the legs😬 

One thing i hated in Pure was the kids on roids that do this sort of shit…. 🙈🙈

On 22/01/2022 at 07:37, Lord BJ said:

I know what you mean. I only intervene if I think someone is putting themselves at risk. Pressing over their throat or something daft. 

You work out at home gym or at old school dungeon?

Suicide presses are fun 😏 wait thats not what ya mean 😉 , amazing how many people do that or think a full range of movement is 2inches….

On 12/02/2022 at 06:32, ri Alban said:

Went back last Sunday. So hard not to let the ego oot . 

I posted my return in the NFL thread. :jj_facepalm:

Thats my biggest struggle is my ego , go too fast back up the weights get sore or injured and stop again. 

On 12/02/2022 at 09:26, ri Alban said:

And I've definitely a tendon injury that won't heal. The pain in at my left elbow is murder. That, the shoulder and bicep I'll just need to manage.(Same side)

I had a torrid time with elbow pain and started doing more forearm wrists bits and it made a massive difference. I know you know your shit but worth a think about.

On 18/02/2022 at 09:53, Bindy Badgy said:

like RS id go double prong. The rest of the belt is really personal preference and what suits you , gives you confidence. Are you an experienced lifter? If you post your squat technique even wee tweaks or foibles (is that still a word) then im sure all of us can give some guidance. So many wee things that might help. Weights under your feet , slight hip pops , the belt , positioning , functional muscles , just difficult without anything to go on.  

2 minutes ago, sadj said:

Awesome to read and motivational , well in , keep smashing it ❤️🤘🏻

One thing i hated in Pure was the kids on roids that do this sort of shit…. 🙈🙈

Suicide presses are fun 😏 wait thats not what ya mean 😉 , amazing how many people do that or think a full range of movement is 2inches….

Thats my biggest struggle is my ego , go too fast back up the weights get sore or injured and stop again. 

I had a torrid time with elbow pain and started doing more forearm wrists bits and it made a massive difference. I know you know your shit but worth a think about.

like RS id go double prong. The rest of the belt is really personal preference and what suits you , gives you confidence. Are you an experienced lifter? If you post your squat technique even wee tweaks or foibles (is that still a word) then im sure all of us can give some guidance. So many wee things that might help. Weights under your feet , slight hip pops , the belt , positioning , functional muscles , just difficult without anything to go on.  

👍I used to do a lot of wrist curls when I first started. I will go back to them. Cheers.

Just now, ri Alban said:

👍I used to do a lot of wrist curls when I first started. I will go back to them. Cheers.

Fingers crossed it helps mate

33 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

The older I have gotten in the gym the less I’m concerned about weight. It’s more about working muscles and I can do that with much lighter weights that reduce injury via time under tension etc. Avoiding injury is become increasingly important to me.

This is the mindset I need to adopt eventually...

On 20/02/2022 at 17:03, sadj said:

Thanks for the advice. I was an experienced lifter 15 years ago but, I just got back into it last year. My leg strength is still reasonable but, I think my core strength is lacking so I'll need to target that. I think this issue was caused by a lack of core strength and getting a bit sloppy as I wasn't going heavy.

49 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

Thanks for the advice. I was an experienced lifter 15 years ago but, I just got back into it last year. My leg strength is still reasonable but, I think my core strength is lacking so I'll need to target that. I think this issue was caused by a lack of core strength and getting a bit sloppy as I wasn't going heavy.

I am a bit like that , i can be really sloppy when weight is lighter , just be careful and have a look at functional stuff for your back that may help too. I always teach people to slightly turn the knees out before squatting as it opens the whole area underneath for you to safely drop into. It also helps with balance too. If you are unsure what i mean pm me ill easy call ya and talk you through it. It might help or might not but anything that could help im happy to help with (if that makes sense)

55 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

Any time i've had issues with squatting it has usually been this. Typically would end up with a bit of forward lean which puts a lot of pressure on the back. I brace on my warmups the same way I do on a max attempt now and rarely have any issue. Took me years to nail that

• 1 month later...
WorldChampions1902

@The Old Tolbooth Great post and well done!

My experience of “exercise” has taken a similar path in recent times. Mid-2020, after lockdowns and working from home, cholesterol levels approached Statin-levels and I had gained far too many pounds around the waistline.

At that point, I started to watch my diet and alcohol intake and took up some gentle running. After a few weeks, I was quite happy to complete two or three 5k’s a week in the country lanes where I live.

Fast forward to January this year at which point I decided to tick one off my ‘bucket list’ ambitions and sent off an application for my first marathon at Brighton. I ran this last weekend and finished in under 5 hours. It was one of the most physically demanding things I have ever done but a wonderfully exhilarating experience, to the extent that I have entered next years Brighton Marathon.

I can honestly say that running two or three times a week has massively improved my physical and mental well-being and if you are able to, give it a go.

The Old Tolbooth
18 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

My experience of “exercise” has taken a similar path in recent times. Mid-2020, after lockdowns and working from home, cholesterol levels approached Statin-levels and I had gained far too many pounds around the waistline.

At that point, I started to watch my diet and alcohol intake and took up some gentle running. After a few weeks, I was quite happy to complete two or three 5k’s a week in the country lanes where I live.

Fast forward to January this year at which point I decided to tick one off my ‘bucket list’ ambitions and sent off an application for my first marathon at Brighton. I ran this last weekend and finished in under 5 hours. It was one of the most physically demanding things I have ever done but a wonderfully exhilarating experience, to the extent that I have entered next years Brighton Marathon.

I can honestly say that running two or three times a week has massively improved my physical and mental well-being and if you are able to, give it a go.

That's incredible mate, it really is! 

Running isn't my strong point, I've got arthritis in both hips and dodgy knees, but walking is great fun and also great for your mental wellbeing also, just wandering miles where you've never been before is brilliant. 

Keep up the good work mate :thumbsup:

22 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Nutribullet is a great invention.

I'm finding this has been a godsend for me. Anything that makes nutrition more convenient def gets a thumbs up 🙂 

Screenshot_20220421-195958_Instagram.thumb.jpg.cf2fcbea454cb9f8c149fc633e4d2ca2.jpg

JudyJudyJudy
On 18/04/2022 at 15:48, WorldChampions1902 said:

Very inspiring . Well done . 

On 19/04/2022 at 10:23, The Old Tolbooth said:

That's incredible mate, it really is! 

Running isn't my strong point, I've got arthritis in both hips and dodgy knees, but walking is great fun and also great for your mental wellbeing also, just wandering miles where you've never been before is brilliant. 

Keep up the good work mate :thumbsup:

I’ve got arthritis too and I although I’d like to do running it’s a no no really as the pounding/ vibration  when you run can damage the joints / cartridge further  I’ve been Lead to believe . I do walk a lot though and do the bike at the gym but im seated on the bike so no pressure on joints as such . A bit of me feels tempted to try  running but I’m not sure due to what I’ve just stated . 

WorldChampions1902
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Very inspiring . Well done . 

I’ve got arthritis too and I although I’d like to do running it’s a no no really as the pounding/ vibration  when you run can damage the joints / cartridge further  I’ve been Lead to believe . I do walk a lot though and do the bike at the gym but im seated on the bike so no pressure on joints as such . A bit of me feels tempted to try  running but I’m not sure due to what I’ve just stated . 

Thanks for your kind sentiments and good on you for taking care of yourself by walking and cycling.

I appreciate your concerns around your arthritis but my understanding (flawed?) is that exercise helps alleviate it? So clearly, it’s great that you are walking and cycling at the gym as that will definitely help.

If you have doubts about running, why not ease yourself gently into it on the treadmill at the gym? I had a persistent and long-standing knee issue (ITB Band) which has now completely gone after gradually increasing my weekly running mileage whilst training for my marathon. Perhaps adopting the same gentle approach would allow you to build up your mileage without aggravating your arthritis. Might be worth a try?

JudyJudyJudy
14 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Thanks for your kind sentiments and good on you for taking care of yourself by walking and cycling.

I appreciate your concerns around your arthritis but my understanding (flawed?) is that exercise helps alleviate it? So clearly, it’s great that you are walking and cycling at the gym as that will definitely help.

If you have doubts about running, why not ease yourself gently into it on the treadmill at the gym? I had a persistent and long-standing knee issue (ITB Band) which has now completely gone after gradually increasing my weekly running mileage whilst training for my marathon. Perhaps adopting the same gentle approach would allow you to build up your mileage without aggravating your arthritis. Might be worth a try?

No bother  Yes that's very good advice re running. I may attempt it as the gym.  Just my arthritis is complexly unpredictable. One day im fine then next day ill wake aches and pains feeling like shit. Its the nature of the beast I'm afraid. However I have a relatively good diet and a mostly positive demeanour which I believe helps. 

JudyJudyJudy
14 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Also i read about more about running and arthritis and apparently it may not do much harm but still need to be careful.  

WorldChampions1902
7 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Also i read about more about running and arthritis and apparently it may not do much harm but still need to be careful.  

Good luck! Hopefully you can make it work. 🤞

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Good luck! Hopefully you can make it work. 🤞

👍

WorldChampions1902
4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Brilliant article.

The main ‘take away’ is to expect some discomfort in the early stages of your running and to remember this will dissipate and eventually disappear. It is great advice and you should take heart from that if you experience some pain when you start. ‘Persevere’ as Ron Gordon won’t say and go for it. 🙂

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Brilliant article.

The main ‘take away’ is to expect some discomfort in the early stages of your running and to remember this will dissipate and eventually disappear. It is great advice and you should take heart from that if you experience some pain when you start. ‘Persevere’ as Ron Gordon won’t say and go for it. 🙂

Yes as you said great article. 

Konrad von Carstein
On 18/01/2022 at 11:31, The Old Tolbooth said:

I think this is the first time I've poked my head into this thread, and for those of you who know me, you would realise why! :lol: 

I just wanted to share something however, and it involves me getting a wee dog last March, my day used to consist of rolling out of bed, into the office in the same house, and then sit in front of the telly at night watching football with a beer or two, I done nothing, literally nothing when it came to exercise. 

Fast forward a few months, and although this might not seem like much to most of you on here, I'm now walking between 20-30 miles per week with the dog, out early in the morning and making sure I take a break early in the afternoon for an hour to walk him again, and some of the walks I'm doing are becoming more adventurous, my blood pressure has returned to normal after being a tad on the high side, my cholesterol levels are exactly where they should be again, I'm eating and sleeping better, and I genuinely feel like a totally revived person, and all it took was making a commitment to a little furry friend who's become my best pal in life.

He may have cost me £2k to purchase as a puppy, but what he's done for me cannot be put into monetary terms, we're good for each other and there's every chance he could have saved my life as I wasn't really heading in the right direction., although I'm not going to lie, I still like a beer or 6 during Hearts games but hangovers don't even seem so bad now. 

Sorry for the long ish post, but if this inspires anyone then it's worth it :thumbsup: 

I've had similar since getting the galoot aka Ziggy,  lost a stone in 3 months or so without trying simply by walking him.

The Old Tolbooth
15 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I've had similar since getting the galoot aka Ziggy,  lost a stone in 3 months or so without trying simply by walking him.

It's brilliant for your mental health as well mate, and there's so many cracking dog walks round our area that we're very lucky. 

Bindy Badgy

Does anyone here use a gumshield when weightlifting?

I've noticed myself clenching my mouth when going heavy. My dentist has said that this is noticable and that I need to take steps to limit damage.

1 hour ago, Bindy Badgy said:

Does anyone here use a gumshield when weightlifting?

I've noticed myself clenching my mouth when going heavy. My dentist has said that this is noticable and that I need to take steps to limit damage.

I know quite a few people who do. A lot of top strongmen do as well. There's actually some science to suggest it can assist with strength training. Personally I've never bothered with one.

'New age' mouthguards seem to be the ones people I know rave about

Bindy Badgy
17 hours ago, RS86 said:

I know quite a few people who do. A lot of top strongmen do as well. There's actually some science to suggest it can assist with strength training. Personally I've never bothered with one.

'New age' mouthguards seem to be the ones people I know rave about

Thanks. I'm reading a review of the New Age mouthguards now.

• 1 month later...
On 29/04/2022 at 19:34, JudyJudyJudy said:

I can confirm this works for me. 

I struggled with sore knee joints even after my hip replacement eased it. 

I just kept running twice a week around 8-10k. 

But decided 2 weeks ago to try and do 15km - I managed it today in 1 hour 33 mins. Not bad for 54 with a hip replacement 🙂

And knee pain easing over the last month or so despite running more than I ever have 

1 hour ago, PTBCAL said:

I can confirm this works for me. 

I struggled with sore knee joints even after my hip replacement eased it. 

I just kept running twice a week around 8-10k. 

But decided 2 weeks ago to try and do 15km - I managed it today in 1 hour 33 mins. Not bad for 54 with a hip replacement 🙂

And knee pain easing over the last month or so despite running more than I ever have 

Never had an bother at my fittest, strongest and leanest. Now, constant pain. But you've just got to get on with it. 

Well done, bud, Btw. :thumb:

• 3 weeks later...

Started again today with a 5k. To the gym tomorrow for a full body work out.  Trying to drag around a 15 stone body was difficult. 😂

Finding the motivation to start again is always the hardest part. Now buzzing for another session tomorrow. 💪

Edited by AlimOzturk

On 02/08/2022 at 20:59, AlimOzturk said:

Started again today with a 5k. To the gym tomorrow for a full body work out.  Trying to drag around a 15 stone body was difficult. 😂

Finding the motivation to start again is always the hardest part. Now buzzing for another session tomorrow. 💪

Good on you 👏

I keep meaning to start doing some running but it never happens. Too set in my ways 😅

1 minute ago, RS86 said:

Good on you 👏

I keep meaning to start doing some running but it never happens. Too set in my ways 😅

I have always enjoyed cardio workouts and getting the heart racing. Cycling, running, hill climbing and 5 a sides. I just want to feel fitter, healthier and stronger so think a good mixture of cardio and full body workouts will hopefully suit my goals just fine. 👍

This is the beginner full body workout i followed today. I lifted as heavy as I could. I tried to keep it as simple as possible. In order and one set of each

Back - Bent over barbell row 

Biceps - Dumbell curls (standing)

Chest - dumbell chess press

triceps - Barr dips

Shoulder - dumbbell presses 

Calves - weighted calf raises

Legs/thighs - squats.

Abs - Sit ups and abs.  

I then done 15 mins on rowing machine. 

Any hints and tips to improve on the above? I want to feel strong enough to do pull ups soon as well. 

On 03/08/2022 at 22:03, AlimOzturk said:

I have always enjoyed cardio workouts and getting the heart racing. Cycling, running, hill climbing and 5 a sides. I just want to feel fitter, healthier and stronger so think a good mixture of cardio and full body workouts will hopefully suit my goals just fine. 👍

This is the beginner full body workout i followed today. I lifted as heavy as I could. I tried to keep it as simple as possible. In order and one set of each

Back - Bent over barbell row 

Biceps - Dumbell curls (standing)

Chest - dumbell chess press

triceps - Barr dips

Shoulder - dumbbell presses 

Calves - weighted calf raises

Legs/thighs - squats.

Abs - Sit ups and abs.  

I then done 15 mins on rowing machine. 

Any hints and tips to improve on the above? I want to feel strong enough to do pull ups soon as well.

All looks sensible. I'd stick with that exercise selection and just build it up over time initially and then once you stall or get bored change it up at that point.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone  tried or use a barefoot/minimalist trainer?,been looking into them and tempted to try a pair when I get back running, are they useful or a bit gimmicky?

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend some decent wrist straps? I'm using these straps at the moment. They're sturdy but, it's hard to get a decent grip of the bar as I have thin wrists which make it hard to get the straps tight enough.