Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

How many km's have you got under your belt? If not many you'll probably be fine maintaining your mass in all honesty and you'll just get better at running with time. You'll probably never be sub <20 as a big guy but I reckon 5 minute splits would be doable.

Whilst he's obviously a bit of an extreme example, guys like Ross Edgeley can lay down some seriously quick times when running despite their size.

Very little recently tbh. I've been doing 10km on the crosstrainer past couple weeks (not even comparable to getting out for a run though) just to try and prepare myself for running but need to get some suitable footwear before I start setting times. Reason i'm limiting it to 5km is so it hopefully doesn't have a major impact as i'd still like to do some lifting alongside too.

I've seen both him and that Nick Bare chap. Those guys are insanely fit!

5 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Very little recently tbh. I've been doing 10km on the crosstrainer past couple weeks (not even comparable to getting out for a run though) just to try and prepare myself for running but need to get some suitable footwear before I start setting times. Reason i'm limiting it to 5km is so it hopefully doesn't have a major impact as i'd still like to do some lifting alongside too.

I've seen both him and that Nick Bare chap. Those guys are insanely fit!

You'll be fine then. Better footwear and 10 - 15km a week and in 4-6 weeks you'll have your time right down 👍👍

Build up slowly though, I'd do 3, 3km runs for the first week or so. Or use the couch to 5km app, it's slow progress and you likely won't need to start at the beginning but when I used it my first full 5km ran was c.30 mins. It eases you in nicely.

10 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I’m at gym just now watching someone do squat jumps with 100kg barbell. 

That explosive muscle twit h right there. 

That would fold me up like a pocket square upon landing.

Not that I'd be able to lift it up anyway. My explosive twitch muscle is akin to a damp squib 🙁 

Please say your next post was going to be you're looking in the mirror?!? 😂

Edited by Taffin

Governor Tarkin
On 09/09/2021 at 16:27, Taffin said:

Agreed. 20 - 25 is a good place to aim for if you're outside of that currently.

Sub 20 is fast. Faster than I got to when I was trying to be faster.

I got down to 19 mins and 4 seconds a couple of years ago on the treadmill with a small uphill gradient, although I was on a boat so the gradient was always changing.

I was 45 at the time and had been doing around 30 mins the month previously, I just started chipping away at it every second day and throwing in the odd 10k & 15k to work on stamina.

Couldn't get close to that now. Managed 24 mins 18 seconds last week and it was tough. Again on a boat.

My best street time is around the 22 minute mark, but there are a lot of hills around my way.

The trick I've found is to persevere until it's no longer the worst half hour of your life and you actually start to enjoy it.

That takes a little bit of dedication, and unfortunately I don't have the time to commit to it nowadays.

Governor Tarkin
34 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I wish it was me. It was impressive as hell. 

I’m far from explosive. The weight wouldn’t be a issue but I don’t think I have the fast twitch to allow me to explode from the bottom of that squat. 

Its also the exact opposite of how I squat. I tend to focus on time under tension as opposed to explosive movements. Though probably should focus on explosive movement more tbh. 

My squatting is confined to the toilets in seedy Asian drinking dens.

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I got down to 19 mins and 4 seconds a couple of years ago on the treadmill with a small uphill gradient, although I was on a boat so the gradient was always changing.

I was 45 at the time and had been doing around 30 mins the month previously, I just started chipping away at it every second day and throwing in the odd 10k & 15k to work on stamina.

Couldn't get close to that now. Managed 24 mins 18 seconds last week and it was tough. Again on a boat.

My best street time is around the 22 minute mark, but there are a lot of hills around my way.

The trick I've found is to persevere until it's no longer the worst half hour of your life and you actually start to enjoy it.

That takes a little bit of dedication, and unfortunately I don't have the time to commit to it nowadays.

Good advice right there, especially the bit in bold. It also highlights how quickly you can bring the time down by sticking at it. That said 19m4s is some going at any any age, let alone 45 when the month before you were running 30 mins. Well played 👍👍👍

That's the other thing for people to remember if they're comparing themselves to others...you don't know what the terrain/gradient that person was running on was like so don't beat yourself up if you're slower, or think you're Usain Bolt if you're faster 😂

My best was 21 something on a park run which had a hill and was largely on grass. I also have never gone faster than 23 on the route I do locally which is loose gravel and tow paths. Always look to improve your own time, and don't worry about others.

What always motivated me was to remember that the quicker I got then the less time I'd have to run for.

On 09/09/2021 at 12:35, RS86 said:

What would you guys consider to be a reasonably fast time for a 5km?

Not pushing my lifts as much and working more on my general fitness currently and I quite fancy this as a little challenge alongside my training.

Most averagely fit folk, non runners should aim under 30mins

Under 20mins is fast for casual runners

I've been powering the distances in but can't get my 5km under my 21-22min personal best

Roughly

20 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Talk about exercises you will never do again. Upright rows is mine.

Me too. Was using a 20kg kettlebell and it gvae me serious pain in my right trap. Didn't realise that's what it was until I did some Googling. Never again. Bent over rows with DB or BB only now.

4 minutes ago, EH11_2NL said:

Me too. Was using a 20kg kettlebell and it gvae me serious pain in my right trap. Didn't realise that's what it was until I did some Googling. Never again. Bent over rows with DB or BB only now.

I quite like a unilateral bent over row, in fact I strongly favour it to a normal one I use my kettlebell for them as I prefer the handle. Might be worth a try if you want use out of the kettlebell 😂

Just joined a gym after say a 10 year absence. Now I have more time etc I'm really looking to start taking care of myself again.

Should I make use of the gyms PT or are there any good apps out there I can use?

I'm unfit, have a beer belly and my body strength (upper in particular, legs are actually acceptable) is shite these days. Basically I'm looking for cardio and weight programs so I can improve all aspects of fitness.

Absolute beginner again so some advice would be appreciated folks.

1 hour ago, Homme said:

Just joined a gym after say a 10 year absence. Now I have more time etc I'm really looking to start taking care of myself again.

Should I make use of the gyms PT or are there any good apps out there I can use?

I'm unfit, have a beer belly and my body strength (upper in particular, legs are actually acceptable) is shite these days. Basically I'm looking for cardio and weight programs so I can improve all aspects of fitness.

Absolute beginner again so some advice would be appreciated folks.

Personally I'd take advantage of a free faster session with a PT or buy 1 or 2 sessions with one and have them show you how to bench, squat and deadlift and then make those your core exercises.

In you're 10 year absence have you been doing bodyweight exercises at home?

If not, I'd focus on just doing that for a few months and getting good at that. 10 years is a long time.

On 11/08/2021 at 20:55, Taffin said:

Certainly a good thing to get your confidence up and get that extra bit of effort out of yourself. Key thing is the form and technique though, and it's well worth investing in to get that right. Good on you for going for it, it is a lot of money to use a PT but after the first block you may well not feel the need to continue with it and can crack on yourself 

Investing in yourself is always a good way to spend money if you've got it. Loads of people spend 1000s of hours in gyms and never get the most out of it because simply put they think they know what they're doing but often don't.

It's also quite good fun having a trainer to give you guidance and feedback.

You know we use coaches/PTs too? You’ll find it all the way up the PT food chain. 

The bit iv highlighted is a very bad idea and not from the it takes money away from me viewpoint.

As you have gone on to say , When you set goals (short , medium and long) , when you have accountability , when you have someone who can adjust your diet , adjust your training as your body changes , tweak things when your hormone levels change be that through age or altering things because you are due on your period etc it can make a huge difference to your health and gymming ability. I was going to reply to Davie but he has clearly made his mind up that he knows better. His prerogative. 

There is however too many PTs who take you for a ride and who don’t have a clue but charge silly money. Iv a client who was paying £35 an hour and going nowhere with his previous PT , i charge him significantly more but his progress in 3 months was more than in 2years with the last person. 

I still go up to people and advise them without saying here do this now pay me. PTs who wont are in my opinion arsehole money grabbers and not people who should be in the game. Iv had clients who have had awful days and instead of training like a ***** weve taken the dog a walk and talked as its what they have needed in order to be in a place where they are mentally ok to train. 

Personally , before i took ill i could leg press 3/4 of a tonne for sets , could lift 300kg and also run 10km in under 40 mins without worrying yet I still listened to others and still do. 

At some point I want to set a charity up to help fund peoples gym needs (loose term) in order to help with their mental health. Be that funding gym memberships , PTs , Hillwalk days etc. The investment if you can afford it is well worth it however.

(this party political broadcast was on behalf of Sadjs gym stuff)

@Homme give me a PM if you want some free advice 👍🏻 

7 hours ago, Taffin said:

Personally I'd take advantage of a free faster session with a PT or buy 1 or 2 sessions with one and have them show you how to bench, squat and deadlift and then make those your core exercises.

In you're 10 year absence have you been doing bodyweight exercises at home?

If not, I'd focus on just doing that for a few months and getting good at that. 10 years is a long time.

**** squatting and deadlifting I have never done either more than once or twice every few years just for a laugh. Dont ever listen to a gym minded person who tells you they are the main things to do or else. Benching i do but very rarely with a barbell. Calisthenics are fun but again its what works for that person. 

Edited by sadj

On 21/09/2021 at 20:48, ri Alban said:

Talk about exercises you will never do again. Upright rows is mine.

I like an upright row but rarely do it nowadays too , i use calisthenics to do the same thing without the same risks

On 09/09/2021 at 16:49, RS86 said:

That sounds like a good target tbh as not sure I could manage must faster than 30 mins! I was thinking more 40-45 haha. I'm quite a bit younger but currently sitting at 93kg at 5' 8 so i'm a bit of a lump lol

You a lump 🤔🤔 🤣 , nae chance , gimme a pm if you want , i havent been on my insta in over a year so no idea where you are at or your health , comps etc 👍🏻

On 10/08/2021 at 11:27, RustyRightPeg said:

I went for it. Got 11 sessions and I have to disagree. 

He’s pushed me to my limit and I’ve never felt better if I’m honest. 

Was always a confidence thing at the gym for me and he’s also teaching me proper form and technique for using the equipment. 

Awesome , keep smashing it 👌🏻👌🏻

On 22/09/2021 at 17:36, Taffin said:

I quite like a unilateral bent over row, in fact I strongly favour it to a normal one I use my kettlebell for them as I prefer the handle. Might be worth a try if you want use out of the kettlebell 😂

Some of the CPD courses iv done for kettlebells you wonder whos written it. Kettlebells like you are saying there can be a great substitute for dumbbells as opposed to you must use a kettlebell specific exercise 😑.The unilateral one with a kettlebell would be far more comfortable for variations though and is well worth people trying. 

21 minutes ago, sadj said:

**** squatting and deadlifting I have never done either more than once or twice every few years just for a laugh. Dont ever listen to a gym minded person who tells you they are the main things to do or else. Benching i do but very rarely with a barbell. Calisthenics are fun but again its what works for that person. 

24 minutes ago, sadj said:

You know we use coaches/PTs too? You’ll find it all the way up the PT food chain. 

The bit iv highlighted is a very bad idea and not from the it takes money away from me viewpoint.

As you have gone on to say , When you set goals (short , medium and long) , when you have accountability , when you have someone who can adjust your diet , adjust your training as your body changes , tweak things when your hormone levels change be that through age or altering things because you are due on your period etc it can make a huge difference to your health and gymming ability. I was going to reply to Davie but he has clearly made his mind up that he knows better. His prerogative. 

There is however too many PTs who take you for a ride and who don’t have a clue but charge silly money. Iv a client who was paying £35 an hour and going nowhere with his previous PT , i charge him significantly more but his progress in 3 months was more than in 2years with the last person. 

I still go up to people and advise them without saying here do this now pay me. PTs who wont are in my opinion arsehole money grabbers and not people who should be in the game. Iv had clients who have had awful days and instead of training like a ***** weve taken the dog a walk and talked as its what they have needed in order to be in a place where they are mentally ok to train. 

Personally , before i took ill i could leg press 3/4 of a tonne for sets , could lift 300kg and also run 10km in under 40 mins without worrying yet I still listened to others and still do. 

At some point I want to set a charity up to help fund peoples gym needs (loose term) in order to help with their mental health. Be that funding gym memberships , PTs , Hillwalk days etc. The investment if you can afford it is well worth it however.

(this party political broadcast was on behalf of Sadjs gym stuff)

@Homme give me a PM if you want some free advice 👍🏻 

Just offering up some suggestions that's all. I've no skin in the game so to speak.

People can take 'em or leave 'em.

I'm not suggesting not listening to people. Some people will get amazing results with a PT. I'm lucky, I've got a training plan and have been shown how to do the exercises...so I do them, I may very well be told to do something else if I had a PT and I'm sure it would be very good 👍👍

Edit: and I'd definitely advise people to take your advice over mine as I'm not qualified in anyway at all (just for clarity for others!! 😂)

Edited by Taffin

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Just offering up some suggestions that's all. I've no skin in the game so to speak.

People can take 'em or leave 'em.

I'm not suggesting not listening to people. Some people will get amazing results with a PT. I'm lucky, I've got a training plan and have been shown how to do the exercises...so I do them, I may very well be told to do something else if I had a PT and I'm sure it would be very good 👍👍

Edit: and I'd definitely advise people to take your advice over mine as I'm not qualified in anyway at all (just for clarity for others!! 😂)

I wasnt having a pop , was agreeing with what you wrote. Still **** squats and deadlifts 🤣

Biggest thing is having the right stuff for you as a person physically and mentally.

6 minutes ago, sadj said:

I wasnt having a pop , was agreeing with what you wrote. Still **** squats and deadlifts 🤣

Biggest thing is having the right stuff for you as a person physically and mentally.

Agree completely with the bit in bold 👍

I love deadlifts, but I do hate squats. And squats hate me but I do feel good once they're done.

8 hours ago, sadj said:

I liked my squats. I having done them for a very long time. I couldn't rotate my shoulders under the bar after I was injured. Partial deads was my favourite back exercise after dumbbell rows.

I'm planning on going back in a few weeks, but I've been planning going back for a few weeks for a few years. :D Can't be arsed, if I'm honest.

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I liked my squats. I having done them for a very long time. I couldn't rotate my shoulders under the bar after I was injured. Partial deads was my favourite back exercise after dumbbell rows.

I'm planning on going back in a few weeks, but I've been planning going back for a few weeks for a few years. :D Can't be arsed, if I'm honest.

Rackpulls i do enjoy , partials off plates nope , i got a bit bored of rackpulls though as the bars in Pure could only hold 300kg 😑 I used to start with them 10x10 or 5x5 then move on to barbell bent over rows 4x20 10 pro , 10 sup. Im struggling for motivation just now myself. 😑

37 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

You don’t squat? Can I ask why risk of injury?   

I generally stay away from deadlifts for injury concerns though recently started doing them again, though light. 

Workouts do need to suit the individual. There are a few exercises I can’t do now as injury cause issue or my body doesn’t allow the movement 

Though leaving squats alone? It’s like you don’t lift :sob:

🤣🤣

Just don’t like them so don’t do them , my hip flexors i do other little bits for to help with running and my quads i destroy in other ways. Deads is more due to fracturing a vertebrae in my spine and the extra six inches can cause it to give me pain in my nerves which then gives me migraines.

I love leg press , hate squats , hate lunges , love calf raise , leg extensions and leg curls. Leg press would have been warm up at 300 then up in increments of 50 until im struggling to do 6 (then back down. Leg extensions i vary 5x12 with 12 second rest then a burnout , sometimes 10x15 then 40  or 5x12 then 100. 

Im assuming you’ve looked at doing bodyweight exercises / stretches that might rehab you and help wi freeing up the movement in your body. whats the injury concern you have with deadlifts? 

13 hours ago, sadj said:

You a lump 🤔🤔 🤣 , nae chance , gimme a pm if you want , i havent been on my insta in over a year so no idea where you are at or your health , comps etc 👍🏻

When I say a lump I don't mean fat per se, just a lot of tissue to carry in running terms lol. I've knocked competing on the head now. Won the Scottish u90s again this year in PL, but got injured yet again in the process 🤦‍♂️

I never did get round to running though as I got covid and that's completely floored me.

1 minute ago, RS86 said:

When I say a lump I don't mean fat per se, just a lot of tissue to carry in running terms lol. I've knocked competing on the head now. Won the Scottish u90s again this year in PL, but got injured yet again in the process 🤦‍♂️

I never did get round to running though as I got covid and that's completely floored me.

Congrats on the u90s , Whats your plans now? Not good 😞 hope you and the family are over it now. 

32 minutes ago, sadj said:

Congrats on the u90s , Whats your plans now? Not good 😞 hope you and the family are over it now. 

Cheers. Tbh nothing in mind other than just lifting and exercising for fun and to stay in shape. It's hard turning off the competitive mentality though, cos every time I see a competition I find myself considering it lol.

Thankfully over the worst and coming out the other end. Me, the mrs and 4 of the kids got it but somehow one of my boys managed to avoid it

3 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Fair enough, it clearly working for you. I ****ing hate calf raises, no matter what I do can’t develop the ****ers. It’s a bit embarrassing. 

I compressed vertebrae  into each other at the start of the year. So it’s been a bit of a nightmare, I’m still not fully recovered and still doing a variety of exercises /physio to resolve issues. I’m pretty much working out each side individually due to the strength difference,  and protect a few things as much as possible. Whilst in general lifting less weight but more volume and a shit ton of drop sets at the moment.  Started doing a bit with trx again to try and open a few things up as well. 

On deadlifting I find I tend to get a bad pain at the base of the spine. I have always felt I over extend after pushing the hips through and leaning too far back. However, it’s not that the technique and form are good, despite what I might feel. I get the same issue with deadlifting with the trap bar as well, which I think is even stranger. 

🤣 , I use two variations either barbell calf raise on a step so that i get full range or Seated with the plates on quads , front of the feet on a step , again to get full range. Then i just try and do them as slow as possible and do 4x20 , i never vary the sets or reps on them.

I would say you shouldn’t be embarrassed I think there is always something that just either doesn’t develop the way we’d like or we need to find a specific exercise that makes them pop as opposed to the generic ones like weve discussed here. 

Sorry to hear that , sounds like you are on the road to recovery though and interesting to hear you use the trx , you sound like you are pretty clued up and not in the “if its nae got plates on it im nae doing it camp” 

Without seeing your deads its difficult to suggest anything , possibly turn your toes out more or a wider stance may take a bit of pressure off your lower back or switch to rack pulls. Is it def a muscle pain? Do you round your lower back at all , that could potentially be a reason that you are pushing too far through when you **** the bar. My brother in law was bad for it until i got him having his last thought as back in the correct position and focus on that and roll the bar up his legs. 

Whatever you do or try make sure you check any risks , dont make any adjustments without doing the research yourself to ensure it doesn’t make things worse

Edited by sadj

3 hours ago, RS86 said:

Cheers. Tbh nothing in mind other than just lifting and exercising for fun and to stay in shape. It's hard turning off the competitive mentality though, cos every time I see a competition I find myself considering it lol.

Thankfully over the worst and coming out the other end. Me, the mrs and 4 of the kids got it but somehow one of my boys managed to avoid it

Glad to hear you and the family are getting there , my pals family was similar her and 3 of hers got it , her brother and his two got it but her youngest didn’t. 🤷🏻‍♂️ If you have any thoughts or want any tweaks just pm me pal and ill see if i can help 👍🏻 

2 hours ago, sadj said:

Glad to hear you and the family are getting there , my pals family was similar her and 3 of hers got it , her brother and his two got it but her youngest didn’t. 🤷🏻‍♂️ If you have any thoughts or want any tweaks just pm me pal and ill see if i can help 👍🏻 

Cheers. Hows your training been going?

5 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Im a pretty experienced lifter to be honest. I’m also currently working with a PT who is a ex competitive bodybuilder. So it’s not so much a form thing or that and have worked with different variations. If I’m truthful, I think I don’t like exercise.

Though can’t lie your numbers are much higher than mine 👍

Numbers are numbers aren’t they , never judge yourself by someone elses numbers.

Dont think any of us like exercise at times. 🤣 Thats good if you have that help there , hopefully all the wee niggles ease for you.

3 hours ago, RS86 said:

Cheers. Hows your training been going?

Shite tbh havent trained in 6weeks wi my mental health , this thread prompted me to get back on it today though 👌🏻 

1 hour ago, sadj said:

Shite tbh havent trained in 6weeks wi my mental health , this thread prompted me to get back on it today though 👌🏻 

Hope you're feeling a bit better now. Bit of downtime is sometimes needed. You'll be glad to get back into it I bet!

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone tried the 16 : 8 intermittent fast? Or something similar?

Have put on a fair bit of weight, up to 94kg and doing this to lose some weight pretty quickly before I get back more into my running. 

All going to plan I'll be at the start line of the Edinburgh Marathon in May in decent shape to chase a PB. 

Just wondered if anyone had tried the 16 : 8, it's started well 3 days in..... 

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Anyone going to start using Pure Gym at craigleith when it opens ? I use the one in Granton pretty fed up with it. 

Work at Craigleith and Kyle pure gym manager called into our work gym opening 2nd week in december and offered staff £10.99 a month for 6 months. Looks a very good offer.

1 minute ago, DALLY JAMBO said:

Work at Craigleith and Kyle pure gym manager called into our work gym opening 2nd week in december and offered staff £10.99 a month for 6 months. Looks a very good offer.

Yeah I seen that on there site goes up to £24.99 once the 6 months is up thought. But that's for core membership. I would imagine closer to the end of the 6 months the price will come down for staying with the gym. think there is zero joining fee too at the moment .

• 1 month later...
On 01/01/2022 at 15:36, rudi must stay said:

I've just done 10,000 pushups 

Been watching too much Brooklyn Nine Nine if you did that….😉

The Old Tolbooth

I think this is the first time I've poked my head into this thread, and for those of you who know me, you would realise why! :lol: 

I just wanted to share something however, and it involves me getting a wee dog last March, my day used to consist of rolling out of bed, into the office in the same house, and then sit in front of the telly at night watching football with a beer or two, I done nothing, literally nothing when it came to exercise. 

Fast forward a few months, and although this might not seem like much to most of you on here, I'm now walking between 20-30 miles per week with the dog, out early in the morning and making sure I take a break early in the afternoon for an hour to walk him again, and some of the walks I'm doing are becoming more adventurous, my blood pressure has returned to normal after being a tad on the high side, my cholesterol levels are exactly where they should be again, I'm eating and sleeping better, and I genuinely feel like a totally revived person, and all it took was making a commitment to a little furry friend who's become my best pal in life.

He may have cost me £2k to purchase as a puppy, but what he's done for me cannot be put into monetary terms, we're good for each other and there's every chance he could have saved my life as I wasn't really heading in the right direction., although I'm not going to lie, I still like a beer or 6 during Hearts games but hangovers don't even seem so bad now. 

Sorry for the long ish post, but if this inspires anyone then it's worth it :thumbsup: 

On 18/01/2022 at 11:31, The Old Tolbooth said:

I think this is the first time I've poked my head into this thread, and for those of you who know me, you would realise why! :lol: 

I just wanted to share something however, and it involves me getting a wee dog last March, my day used to consist of rolling out of bed, into the office in the same house, and then sit in front of the telly at night watching football with a beer or two, I done nothing, literally nothing when it came to exercise. 

Fast forward a few months, and although this might not seem like much to most of you on here, I'm now walking between 20-30 miles per week with the dog, out early in the morning and making sure I take a break early in the afternoon for an hour to walk him again, and some of the walks I'm doing are becoming more adventurous, my blood pressure has returned to normal after being a tad on the high side, my cholesterol levels are exactly where they should be again, I'm eating and sleeping better, and I genuinely feel like a totally revived person, and all it took was making a commitment to a little furry friend who's become my best pal in life.

He may have cost me £2k to purchase as a puppy, but what he's done for me cannot be put into monetary terms, we're good for each other and there's every chance he could have saved my life as I wasn't really heading in the right direction., although I'm not going to lie, I still like a beer or 6 during Hearts games but hangovers don't even seem so bad now. 

Sorry for the long ish post, but if this inspires anyone then it's worth it :thumbsup: 

:clap: Good to hear. :thumbsup:

Nothing makes you feel better than being fit. I'm at my worst at the minute and I'm struggling to work. Constantly tired 24 hrs a day. Torture. I was never like this when I was fit and the head was clear as a bell anaw.

If people used yourself as a role model, the NHS would have surplus money and the Doctors and nurses would have their feet up most of the day. 

Edited by ri Alban

The Old Tolbooth
53 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

:clap: Good to hear. :thumbsup:

Nothing makes you feel better than being fit. I'm at my worst at the minute and I'm struggling to work. Constantly tired 24 hrs a day. Torture. I was never like this when I was fit and the head was clear as a bell anaw.

If people used yourself as a role model, the NHS would have surplus money and the Doctors and nurses would have their feet up most of the day. 

Thanks for that mate, although I'm not sure people would want to use myself as any sort of role model until a few months ago :lol: 

3 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Thanks for that mate, although I'm not sure people would want to use myself as any sort of role model until a few months ago :lol: 

That was then, this is now. :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Not sure if this is the right place, seethe thread maybe more appropriate🤷🏻‍♂️

Anyway, at the gym, this morning doing legs and note a couple of young lads walking in. They proceed to a squat rack, where one starts showing the other how to squat. I don't pay too much attention until they load the bar, with 80kg for their first set. Which seemed heavy for them. I then proceed to watch them squat, which involves a 2 inch movement. My calf raises are deeper FFS. 

I ignored the urge to teach them the importance of ass to grass or just how to squat. 

They eventually did a one inch squat of 100kg😂 Ego lifting at its worst. 

Anyway was legs myself today. Just nipped to Gyle with missus, can barely feel the legs😬 

I've seen me helping folk with form a few times in the past, only to see them a week or two later reverting to type and not lifting properly again. Just never bothered after a while. Thankfully now I don't have to see anyone else who doesn't know what they're doing when I train.

14 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

You work out at home gym or at old school dungeon?

A group of us have a storage unit we rent and have kitted out between us. Each have our own keys to just come and go whenever so total freedom 👌

9 minutes ago, RS86 said:

A group of us have a storage unit we rent and have kitted out between us. Each have our own keys to just come and go whenever so total freedom 👌

Have you binned strongman training?

46 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Have you binned strongman training?

Well...

I did Scotland Strongest Man u90s in Nov 2020 and got 2nd so I still felt like I'd like to have another crack at trying to win it (later discovered the boy who beat me is also a Jambo funnily enough). Last year I did powerlifting again and won the 90s at the Scottish for the 2nd time, but picked up (well technically aggravated because I hurt it not long before - mrs's fault, won't go into detail hahaha) a neck injury so that screwed up the rest of last year. Physio sorted me out and by Nov I was training fully again so did a little powerlifting comp up in Arbroath and won that.

So fast forward to this year I started strongman training again for my one last crack at trying to win the u90s, but a couple of weeks in I retore my right bicep. Not too bad thankfully, seems to be just in the muscle belly and proximal tendon was sore but still attached. So that's in the bin again and it's back to powerlifting 🤣.

Sorry that was a long one lol.

4 hours ago, RS86 said:

Well...

I did Scotland Strongest Man u90s in Nov 2020 and got 2nd so I still felt like I'd like to have another crack at trying to win it (later discovered the boy who beat me is also a Jambo funnily enough). Last year I did powerlifting again and won the 90s at the Scottish for the 2nd time, but picked up (well technically aggravated because I hurt it not long before - mrs's fault, won't go into detail hahaha) a neck injury so that screwed up the rest of last year. Physio sorted me out and by Nov I was training fully again so did a little powerlifting comp up in Arbroath and won that.

So fast forward to this year I started strongman training again for my one last crack at trying to win the u90s, but a couple of weeks in I retore my right bicep. Not too bad thankfully, seems to be just in the muscle belly and proximal tendon was sore but still attached. So that's in the bin again and it's back to powerlifting 🤣.

Sorry that was a long one lol.

👍

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

That’s a very good idea. Imagine it’s a very nice set-up. 👍

It's nothing too glamourous but it does the trick. There are some really good gyms here but nothing that's properly equipped for powerlifting or strongman

13 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Good luck today and enjoy being back. 

Lets us know how it goes👍

Cheers, bud 👍

I'll be joining for 6 months today, but with the UFC and NFL playoffs this weekend, I've not slept a wink. So today might be a wash out after work. 

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9529004e7081e2038a6e