Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

13 hours ago, ri Alban said:

:yas:

Just got my ticket to meet one of my heroes. The legend that is Dorian Yates. 

Awesome. Will be good to meet him. Is he doing a seminar?

A bit off topic but I see ex player Sean McKirdy has opened a gym at Meadowbank.

Looks pretty impressive and seems to have good reviews.

www.Elevate98.co.uk

This weekends activity. Wolfpack 100km ultrachallenge

Just managed to finish it in just under 14hours

Learning experience,legs totally gave way and had to really grind it out.

Edited by Alan_R

9 hours ago, Alan_R said:

This weekends activity. Wolfpack 100km ultrachallenge

Just managed to finish it in just under 14hours

Learning experience,legs totally gave way and had to really grind it out.

Well done, following your stuff on here over the last year is really cool. You've been smashing it!

35 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Well done, following your stuff on here over the last year is really cool. You've been smashing it!

Thanks, just keep chipping away. I find posting here and other places just keeps me accountable and kicking on.

Still stuck on a weight plateau but I'm the fittest fat guy you'll meet 🤣

Edited by Alan_R

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/03/2021 at 10:03, RS86 said:

Awesome. Will be good to meet him. Is he doing a seminar?

He is indeed. And a few training tips straight from the master. 

Sorry I didn't get back earlier. In the JKB gaol. :D. 

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

That'll be ace. He is a genius when it comes to training.

Quite incredible how he has managed to step back from it all like he did and he doesn't seem at all phased about losing all that size. Not many egos in BB who could cope with it like he has

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/04/2021 at 10:30, RS86 said:

Quite incredible how he has managed to step back from it all like he did and he doesn't seem at all phased about losing all that size. Not many egos in BB who could cope with it like he has

Big Ramy and Dennis James on my Birthday (26th June). :yas:

Wee Lee Priest in October. The owner must have some contacts. Christ it'll cost me a fortune on their merchandise. :(

Governor Tarkin
On 10/04/2021 at 10:30, RS86 said:
On 10/04/2021 at 05:33, ri Alban said:

Expand  

I'm surprised he's still alive tbh. He must've chucked some amount of gear through his body over the years. 

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'm surprised he's still alive tbh. He must've chucked some amount of gear through his body over the years. 

That's where it goes wrong for these folk. The abuse steroids. Abuse of all things brings about the end. DY explains his use, and it's surprising how like he used for better gains,Insulin aside(Bubble gut). I actually don't know if I believe him or not about his use, tho. Apparently, He stopped straight away once he quit training, no need as he looked at it as a job, and no longer worked in said job.

It's his mind altering drugs that will kill him. My god he doesn't half talk shite about it, anaw. 

Anyway, I'll enjoy meeting him and just listen to him and his adventures. True or otherwise, he earned it. 

On 18/04/2021 at 14:24, ri Alban said:

Big Ramy and Dennis James on my Birthday (26th June). :yas:

Wee Lee Priest in October. The owner must have some contacts. Christ it'll cost me a fortune on their merchandise. :(

Lee Priest is some character. Again be good to hear what he says as he is very clued up. I love his no bullshit social media approach where he just goes off on people in his comments on instagram haha.

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

He was always a proponent of use the minimum effective amount apparently. Whether I believe that or not... I think a big part of the risk is all the other drugs these guys use too for dieting, the diuretics, stimulants etc. Just strain upon strain on their organs.

• 1 month later...

Anyone use/used the LIFT Gym in Gorgie? Got a 10 day free trail starting saturday (have an intro session and a few classes booked), really just want to use the ten days to sort a strength/free weights routine that I can then follow back at my normal gym but wouldn't trust any of the PT's at my PureGym to show me how to skip far less develop a routine

Quick question. I had severe cramp in my inner thighs.(The worst I've ever experienced and lasted for a good while). Can this damage the muscles, as I've not been able to move properly since last Wednesday. It feels like I've pulled or torn muscles. 

Does anyone use a fitness/calorie app other than MyFitnessPal? It's not available to me in Cayman and I'm looking for a decent alternative.

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

200kg on paused squats today, think I’m going to die and have lost the use of my legs. 

Im in fear for the pain that is on its way:sob:

Lovely :lol:

On 16/06/2021 at 13:49, ri Alban said:

Quick question. I had severe cramp in my inner thighs.(The worst I've ever experienced and lasted for a good while). Can this damage the muscles, as I've not been able to move properly since last Wednesday. It feels like I've pulled or torn muscles. 

A muscle can't tear from cramping, but it can bloody feel like it! How you feeling now?

2 hours ago, RS86 said:

A muscle can't tear from cramping, but it can bloody feel like it! How you feeling now?

Getting better bud👍

Good victory for Tom at the WSM.. Pity he's a hun 

Edited by ri Alban

35 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Getting better bud👍

Good victory for Tom at the WSM.. Pity he's a hun 

Glad to hear it :) Not been easy training in the recent heat.

Incredible, chuffed for him tbh.

45 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Glad to hear it :) Not been easy training in the recent heat.

Incredible, chuffed for him tbh.

Heat? :D Where?

On 16/03/2021 at 00:15, Armageddon said:

So I’ve been looking at spin bikes for ages, the Peloton especially, came across a guy on YouTube showing an alternative so watched another hunner videos on that and bit the bullet a went for it after a shed load of research.

5 days in, 6 x 20 minute rides done and I already feel like a new man! I’m following a 6 week beginner plan.

£400 for the bike

£30 for the cadence monitor

£15 for the iPad holder

£12 per month for the Peloton app with the first month free

E62411CF-305F-4FD7-9895-A22F9411B8D0.jpeg

I decided to get a "smart bike" and man what a difference.

I got a Sportstech ESX 500 bike cheap on gumtree for £150

Works with Kinomap which is really good.

The bike automatically gets harder going up hills and things like that.

Must admit i didn't know anything about these before but what a difference

from a normal exercise bike for motivation.

We took the family sub for Kinomap which works out at about 8 quid a month 

for 3 of use using it which is not bad.

The one i got is about £350 on Amazon.

The bike has the bits built in btw to be fully automatic on kinomap.

I couldn't get it to work with other apps like Zwift.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sportstech-Exercise-smartphone-control-compatible/dp/B01F93NJPA/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=sportstech&qid=1625487186&sr=8-14

What kinomap looks like

1 hour ago, Hambone said:

I decided to get a "smart bike" and man what a difference.

I got a Sportstech ESX 500 bike cheap on gumtree for £150

Works with Kinomap which is really good.

The bike automatically gets harder going up hills and things like that.

Must admit i didn't know anything about these before but what a difference

from a normal exercise bike for motivation.

We took the family sub for Kinomap which works out at about 8 quid a month 

for 3 of use using it which is not bad.

The one i got is about £350 on Amazon.

The bike has the bits built in btw to be fully automatic on kinomap.

I couldn't get it to work with other apps like Zwift.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sportstech-Exercise-smartphone-control-compatible/dp/B01F93NJPA/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=sportstech&qid=1625487186&sr=8-14

What kinomap looks like

I need an app that puts my runs on tv so i can run through some nice places instead of staring at a wall or birds doing shuffle dances

15 minutes ago, sadj said:

I need an app that puts my runs on tv so i can run through some nice places instead of staring at a wall or birds doing shuffle dances

Yeah Kinomap will do this via screen cast of your device

71Rk+ADKuGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Hambone

8 minutes ago, Hambone said:

Yeah Kinomap will do this via screen cast of your device

71Rk+ADKuGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Ill have a lookie cheers

RustyRightPeg

Hi folks.

advice wanted. What’s a reasonable price for a PT block? I’ve been quoted £320 for 11 sessions.

cheers 

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/07/2021 at 10:32, RustyRightPeg said:

Hi folks.

advice wanted. What’s a reasonable price for a PT block? I’ve been quoted £320 for 11 sessions.

cheers 

Probably about right, PT's are a total ****ing rip off

RustyRightPeg
8 hours ago, davie1980 said:

Probably about right, PT's are a total ****ing rip off

I went for it. Got 11 sessions and I have to disagree. 

He’s pushed me to my limit and I’ve never felt better if I’m honest. 

Was always a confidence thing at the gym for me and he’s also teaching me proper form and technique for using the equipment. 

6 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Was always a confidence thing at the gym for me and he’s also teaching me proper form and technique for using the equipment. 

Each to their own.

If that's what you need it's probably worth it, I just find them very expensive. My missus uses one and I always wonder what she gets to justify the cost?

I know how to push myself hard in the gym and see little benefit to another guy trying to push me to go harder.

And for years I was always a member of a small gym where the staff would actively coach members, run you through programmes and teach good form. They'd never walk by a machine if they saw someone flailing about like a *****.

Having said all that, I'm now a member of the Xcite chain in west lothain, where everyone is left to their own devices. The amount of shocking technique you see in a gym like that I start to see there is a place for personal training.

Chip in my tuppence worth of more nonsense I've been up to...

One day, 7 mountains. 
📌An caisteal 995m
📌Beinn Chabhair 933m
📌Beinn A'chroin 941m
📌Beinn Tulaichean 946m
📌Cruach Adrain 1046m
📌Stob Binnein 1165m
📌Ben More 1174m
What an absolute beast of a route. This pushed me physically and mentally (so many up and downs into the bealachs or to the base and back up).

FB_IMG_1628628139137.thumb.jpg.025fdccc2442419ac585b64f68bac3b8.jpg

On 10/08/2021 at 11:27, RustyRightPeg said:

Certainly a good thing to get your confidence up and get that extra bit of effort out of yourself. Key thing is the form and technique though, and it's well worth investing in to get that right. Good on you for going for it, it is a lot of money to use a PT but after the first block you may well not feel the need to continue with it and can crack on yourself 

Investing in yourself is always a good way to spend money if you've got it. Loads of people spend 1000s of hours in gyms and never get the most out of it because simply put they think they know what they're doing but often don't.

It's also quite good fun having a trainer to give you guidance and feedback.

On 10/08/2021 at 21:45, Alan_R said:

One day, 7 mountains. 
📌An caisteal 995m
📌Beinn Chabhair 933m
📌Beinn A'chroin 941m
📌Beinn Tulaichean 946m
📌Cruach Adrain 1046m
📌Stob Binnein 1165m
📌Ben More 1174m
What an absolute beast of a route. This pushed me physically and mentally (so many up and downs into the bealachs or to the base and back up).

Wow indeed. That is one hell of a route. Took me 5 different trips to do these. Do you have the stats to hand, time, distance, ascent? I guess you're actively bagging the Munros? If you are, what are you up to.

On 10/08/2021 at 21:45, Alan_R said:

One day, 7 mountains. 
📌An caisteal 995m
📌Beinn Chabhair 933m
📌Beinn A'chroin 941m
📌Beinn Tulaichean 946m
📌Cruach Adrain 1046m
📌Stob Binnein 1165m
📌Ben More 1174m

:clap:

4 hours ago, 1953 said:

Wow indeed. That is one hell of a route. Took me 5 different trips to do these. Do you have the stats to hand, time, distance, ascent? I guess you're actively bagging the Munros? If you are, what are you up to.

I turned strava off at Ben more summit as my phone was draining battery. So doesn't include the long descent off Ben more. Needless to say elapsed time was a lot longer.

For bagging think I'm up to mid-late 30s. Don't think I've hit 40 yet, You? 

My strava (albeit seems flawed)

Screenshot_20210814-200603.png

18 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

I turned strava off at Ben more summit as my phone was draining battery. So doesn't include the long descent off Ben more. Needless to say elapsed time was a lot longer.

For bagging think I'm up to mid-late 30s. Don't think I've hit 40 yet, You? 

My strava (albeit seems flawed)

Screenshot_20210814-200603.png

That's an excellent ave speed over that distance and elevation gain, way beyond my capabilities. I compleated the munros in 2012. Took me about 15 years. 

1 hour ago, 1953 said:

That's an excellent ave speed over that distance and elevation gain, way beyond my capabilities. I compleated the munros in 2012. Took me about 15 years. 

👏👏 A completist, well done! Ive only been doing them around a year. Along side getting fit during the last lockdown. Still got a bit weight to shift but endurance is definitely improving.

10 hours ago, Alan_R said:

👏👏 A completist, well done! Ive only been doing them around a year. Along side getting fit during the last lockdown. Still got a bit weight to shift but endurance is definitely improving.

I pretty much stuck to the SMC book routes and got round them that way but you'll do them much quicker if you're capable of big routes like that one. I've done another half a round since compleation, helping a friend to finish them off, only 9 to go, and I'm close to compleating the Donalds myself. Keep it going and above all, have fun as that's what it's all about. 

• 3 weeks later...
joondalupjambo
On 15/08/2021 at 08:14, 1953 said:

I pretty much stuck to the SMC book routes and got round them that way but you'll do them much quicker if you're capable of big routes like that one. I've done another half a round since compleation, helping a friend to finish them off, only 9 to go, and I'm close to compleating the Donalds myself. Keep it going and above all, have fun as that's what it's all about. 

Well done.  Interested to hear your thoughts on the purist's view of doing them, i.e. no biking in to the base of hills, no canoe's up loch's to start points and Hugh himself not doing the In Pin so not a Munro.  I am 245 but now have lost the bottle on heights so with most left to do on Syke and a few very, very remote ones do not think I will manage now.  Mid 60's and although still pretty fit, I can walk forever on the flat but grind to a quick halt on the up slope!!  So think I can just about call it a day. 

I had not done a new one since 1996 and then got two this summer, long story as was not always living in Scotland.  I wanted to take my son up as he has only done a handful so thought best get a couple I had not done and make the long trip worthwhile.  Maybe get a few more but as I say Skye no chance.

As you say all about having fun, rather do that now than ticking off things in a book.

Edited by joondalupjambo

3 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Well done.  Interested to hear your thoughts on the purist's view of doing them, i.e. no biking in to the base of hills, no canoe's up loch's to start points and Hugh himself not doing the In Pin so not a Munro.  I am 245 but now have lost the bottle on heights so with most left to do on Syke and a few very, very remote ones do not think I will manage now.  Mid 60's and although still pretty fit, I can walk forever on the flat but grind to a quick halt on the up slope!!  So think I can just about call it a day. 

I had not done a new one since 1996 and then got two this summer, long story as was not always living in Scotland.  I wanted to take my son up as he has only done a handful so thought best get a couple I had not done and make the long trip worthwhile.  Maybe get a few more but as I say Skye no chance.

As you say all about having fun, rather do that now than ticking off things in a book.

So sorry to read that you're not going to get your last ones done. I assume you've considered hiring a guide for the Cullin and other exposed ridges. They aren't cheap but do an excellent job of keeping you safe. I only needed a guide for the Innpin as I have a good friend who has lots of rock climbing experience and really helped me with the scrambling on the others and the big exposed ridges. I'm a similar age myself and have 9 Munros to go to help my walking buddy compleate her round. It will probably have to be next year now for one reason and another, but I am a bit concerned how we'll manage on the 3 big Torridon ridges 10/11 years after the last time I was on them. 

I am not a purist at all and will take any help at all to climb them. In fact I always felt that cycling in or using a boat added to the occasion and made it a bit different and indeed special. I have bagged 141, which is exactly half of a second round but some of those were done before my first compleation so I've no problem with opting for the 'bankers' method of adding then to the balance rather than the 'golfers' method where you can't start a second round till you've compleated the first.

As for calling it a day there are plenty of other hills to try. I'm about 3/4 way through the Donalds and while they are not as spectacular as some of the Munros still give excellent hill days without the height and exposure as most are just big round heathery lumps.   

Anyway, whatever you decide have fun.

joondalupjambo
18 hours ago, 1953 said:

So sorry to read that you're not going to get your last ones done. I assume you've considered hiring a guide for the Cullin and other exposed ridges. They aren't cheap but do an excellent job of keeping you safe. I only needed a guide for the Innpin as I have a good friend who has lots of rock climbing experience and really helped me with the scrambling on the others and the big exposed ridges. I'm a similar age myself and have 9 Munros to go to help my walking buddy compleate her round. It will probably have to be next year now for one reason and another, but I am a bit concerned how we'll manage on the 3 big Torridon ridges 10/11 years after the last time I was on them. 

I am not a purist at all and will take any help at all to climb them. In fact I always felt that cycling in or using a boat added to the occasion and made it a bit different and indeed special. I have bagged 141, which is exactly half of a second round but some of those were done before my first compleation so I've no problem with opting for the 'bankers' method of adding then to the balance rather than the 'golfers' method where you can't start a second round till you've compleated the first.

As for calling it a day there are plenty of other hills to try. I'm about 3/4 way through the Donalds and while they are not as spectacular as some of the Munros still give excellent hill days without the height and exposure as most are just big round heathery lumps.   

Anyway, whatever you decide have fun.

Yeah the guide option was on the cards before I left to live overseas but then when I got back many years later my fear of heights had kicked in.  I have no idea why that came about because I had done most of the main mainland scrambles and narrow ridged Munro's previously with only the usual minor worries as you would expect on those.  I was on holiday in Switzerland when I discovered the problem, was only wandering up a hill side there when all of a sudden I got dizzy, like vertigo stuff, weird.  It was the fact that I was only wandering up a well defined track, albeit at a fair height that shocked me. especially considering what I had previously managed.

As I said I may get a few more of the remote ones that I have not done but reckon calling it a day on the others is just what I need to do.  Might try to get to 250 as a nice round number.  Still plenty other stuff out there to whet my appetite though, so many long distance paths and other types of routes now and that choice is more than enough to keep me going.   We did Largo to Crail on Sunday, 16 odd miles so distance as I said is no problem.

Enjoy the next 9 tops and sure that with only those to go you will have success in Torridon.  

• 2 weeks later...

What would you guys consider to be a reasonably fast time for a 5km?

Not pushing my lifts as much and working more on my general fitness currently and I quite fancy this as a little challenge alongside my training.

joondalupjambo
3 hours ago, RS86 said:

What would you guys consider to be a reasonably fast time for a 5km?

Not pushing my lifts as much and working more on my general fitness currently and I quite fancy this as a little challenge alongside my training.

My 67 year old wife runs it, no stopping in 29 minutes 20 seconds so there is a target for you :robboyas:

If you have a look at https://www.parkrun.org.uk/ or https://runninglevel.com/running-times/5k-times and https://ukfitnessevents.co.uk/fitness/average-5k-time/ assuming you have not already done so then it will give you some idea of times based on age groups.  Hard to say what is fast with so many variables by person but within 20 to 25 minutes has to be good I would have thought for an average joe.  

Edited by joondalupjambo

25 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

My 67 year old wife runs it, no stopping in 29 minutes 20 seconds so there is a target for you :robboyas:

If you have a look at https://www.parkrun.org.uk/ or https://runninglevel.com/running-times/5k-times and https://ukfitnessevents.co.uk/fitness/average-5k-time/ assuming you have not already done so then it will give you some idea of times based on age groups.  Hard to say what is fast with so many variables by person but within 20 to 25 minutes has to be good I would have thought for an average joe.  

Agreed. 20 - 25 is a good place to aim for if you're outside of that currently.

Sub 20 is fast. Faster than I got to when I was trying to be faster.

47 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

That sounds like a good target tbh as not sure I could manage must faster than 30 mins! I was thinking more 40-45 haha. I'm quite a bit younger but currently sitting at 93kg at 5' 8 so i'm a bit of a lump lol

1 hour ago, RS86 said:

That sounds like a good target tbh as not sure I could manage must faster than 30 mins! I was thinking more 40-45 haha. I'm quite a bit younger but currently sitting at 93kg at 5' 8 so i'm a bit of a lump lol

You'll be amazed at how fast your times come down 👍👍

joondalupjambo
17 hours ago, RS86 said:

Good on you, just give a go and you will soon see your first time drop.  My wife's pal who does the 5km runs on the same days is not far off your height and size wise is a shade less 😀  She is around the 52 age Mark and started at 45 minutes and is now down to 40 minutes after three races.  As long as folk are trying then nobody should feel bad about anything.  Good luck and come back on with how you are going.

Edited by joondalupjambo

1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

Good on you, just give a go and you will soon see your first time drop.  My wife's pal who does the 5km runs on the same days is not far off your height and size wise is a shade less 😀  She is around the 52 age Mark and started at 45 minutes and is now down to 40 minutes after three races.  As long as folk are trying then nobody should feel bad about anything.  Good luck and come back on with how you are going.

That's good progression tbh trimming 5 mins off in 3 races 👍. Hopefully won't take me long to progress.

I'll need to drop a bit of muscle to get the times right down near the 30 min mark I reckon, we will see if my ego allows it after a few weeks :lol:

12 minutes ago, RS86 said:

That's good progression tbh trimming 5 mins off in 3 races 👍. Hopefully won't take me long to progress.

I'll need to drop a bit of muscle to get the times right down near the 30 min mark I reckon, we will see if my ego allows it after a few weeks :lol:

How many km's have you got under your belt? If not many you'll probably be fine maintaining your mass in all honesty and you'll just get better at running with time. You'll probably never be sub <20 as a big guy but I reckon 5 minute splits would be doable.

Whilst he's obviously a bit of an extreme example, guys like Ross Edgeley can lay down some seriously quick times when running despite their size.

Edited by Taffin