Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

1 minute ago, Ribble said:

‘kin hell that was such a hard workout, can’t believe how hard that 20 min workout was!

16 excercises (mostly variations of squats) at 5 seconds on, 4 off for 20 mins while basically having a range of those slender tone ab things attached to your arms, chest, abs, back, thighs and arse all at as high a setting as you can take!

Enjoy it? 🤣

1 hour ago, sadj said:

Enjoy it? 🤣

To be honest, I really did, I’m pretty crap at doing different exercises on my own and tend to do the same things all the time at the gym so was good having someone tell me what to do as well as correcting posture etc

The machine you are hooked up to has flashing lights that constantly go green amber red with green being relax/ shake out, amber get in position and then red is the exercise where you have to tense everything, the instructor gets you to try it once where you are relaxed when it goes red, you will never do it a second time. Felt like I’d been tazed!

25 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Watching Ninja warrior UK. That looks dangerous af. :D Anyone entered this before? 

You can try it down at seafield if you really want!

Done my first ultra marathon. 

Buzzing to achieve what's been a personal goal of mine for a wee while now. Been struggling with niggling injuries and ill prepared but managed marathon distance in 4hr48m and went on to surpass 50km in sub 6hr (5hr53m).

Not the fastest times but not bad for having a taped up leg.

Unsupported carrying a bag with a few supplies.

IMG_20201205_152247_932.jpg

5 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Done my first ultra marathon. 

Buzzing to achieve what's been a personal goal of mine for a wee while now. Been struggling with niggling injuries and ill prepared but managed marathon distance in 4hr48m and went on to surpass 50km in sub 6hr (5hr53m).

Not the fastest times but not bad for having a taped up leg.

Unsupported carrying a bag with a few supplies.

IMG_20201205_152247_932.jpg

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95279c20862e5039f3bd6

• 2 weeks later...

Ran 234km in 8 days! Earned myself the Lakeland Lapland Virtual Ultra. Started just five days after my first 50km and I've toiled at times with injuries but I pulled it back today with 47km covered to take me over the finish line!

If you'd told me pre lockdown I'd be running 100s of miles by the end of the year I'd think you were off your head.

Gym closed from Xmas eve until after lockdown ends, going to have to invest him some kit for home, probably some sort of turbo trainer and dumbbell or kettlebells. Lost over a stone since September so really don’t want to lose momentum.

9 hours ago, Ribble said:

Gym closed from Xmas eve until after lockdown ends, going to have to invest him some kit for home, probably some sort of turbo trainer and dumbbell or kettlebells. Lost over a stone since September so really don’t want to lose momentum.

I'm the same, home gym might have to be the new way. Tho every time I'm ready to go back training, something happens. My back went last Wednesday and it's still fecked. Hospital visit, if it last any longer. 

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I'm the same, home gym might have to be the new way. Tho every time I'm ready to go back training, something happens. My back went last Wednesday and it's still fecked. Hospital visit, if it last any longer. 

Yeah, we’re trying to sell our flat and move out the city to get a bigger house, hopefully with a garage which will be turned into a proper home gym.  Already picked out flooring, multi gym with punch bag, and a few other bits and pieces. Was planning to get a turbo trainer for the bike anyway but latest lockdown just made it earlier than planned.

On 19/12/2020 at 00:36, Alan_R said:

Ran 234km in 8 days! Earned myself the Lakeland Lapland Virtual Ultra. Started just five days after my first 50km and I've toiled at times with injuries but I pulled it back today with 47km covered to take me over the finish line!

If you'd told me pre lockdown I'd be running 100s of miles by the end of the year I'd think you were off your head.

Hopefully Santa brings you new trainers. Well done, bud. An astonishing achievement. :thumb:

Edited by ri Alban

3 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Pull ups with 20kg today on belt. Was a first for me. Was a strange one has been struggling to progress but injury meant had to have a few days off and returning just felt strong. 

Pretty chuffed with myself.

Raging the gyms are shutting again. However, I have a rack and a bench at home so can at least still train albeit in a much more limited fashion. 

Planning to hit Jan quite hard and almost treat like a fight camp getting and complete dedication for a month. 

I'm envious, I'm absolutely kack at resistance stuff etc. I've been adding press ups and weights just to aid the running/weight loss. 

I couldn't even do one pull up until very recently. So 20kg weighted would crumble me. Well in.

12 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Hopefully Santa brings you new trainers. Well done, bud. An astonishing achievement. :thumb:

Cheers mate, will admit I'm pretty chuffed with myself for that one.

First thing Mrs said was leave it til next year before I attempt my next daft idea 😂

8 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Cheers

Well I could never do the running you do and actually just looking at those numbers it’s amazes me and considering how quickly you’ve gone from couch to ultramarathons is a real credit to you. Something most people don’t have in them. 

You must be built like Mo Farah now burning that many calories. 

Still a bit heavy but now lost 3 stone.

I'm just a plodder but I seem to be no bad at the mental side of just grinding stuff out.

He won't be everyone's cup of tea but I've watched a lot of David Goggins. Just trying to tap in to some of his secret sauce, guys an absolute machine 

Edited by Alan_R

10 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Still a bit heavy but now lost 3 stone.

I'm just a plodder but I seem to be no bad at the mental side of just grinding stuff out.

He won't be everyone's cup of tea but I've watched a lot of David Goggins. Just trying to tap in to some of his secret sauce, guys an absolute machine 

• 2 weeks later...

Went for it and bought a 2nd hand turbo trainer, really bloody noisy so glad the guy next door has moved to his birds for lockdown, flat below is empty so the turbo will do until the gyms open gain and will then be used as part of my own setup in the shad or garage when we eventually move house.

I'll probably retire through injury. I'll have 1 last attempt post pandemic, tho. 

Happy New Year and well done on all your achievements in this shite year. 

• 2 weeks later...
Governor Tarkin
22 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Trapped a nerve working out this morning. Felt, a bit of pain when benching but just tried to work through. Went for overhead press and thought I had been tasered. Now walking about like like a hunchback, I’m in a bundle of pain and limited movement in right side. 

Amy tips for treatment, more than welcome as in fair bit of bit of pain and getting cranky. 

Ibuprofen and codeine for a couple of days then drop the codeine.

Where is the nerve pinched?

Governor Tarkin
23 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Cheers. Went tramadol and white widow, usually a good pain killer combo not so much in this situation. 

Back shoulder blade right hand side. Been using a trigger ball to try and realise. Also had neck over edge of bed and trying to rotate neck which weirdly release some tension and enable movement but when I do it’s that blinding type pain. 

If I could see a sport physio I use I’m pretty sure they could get it released via manipulation or sticking some needles in but alas not allowed. 

It must be easing off to some extent not as lopsided as was. 

Like you say rest/time is required. 

There's never a good time but this is a really unfortunate time.

If it's really bad get yourself up to A&E and ham it up (not that you need to).

You might get a pain killing injection that'll see you through a few days until it starts to ease naturally.

I've previously nipped one upper pec just below the shoulder. Lost all mobility in right arm. Was like I'd had a stroke. Took a while to get back to normality.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Couldn’t tough out any longer, caved to wife telling me to contact quacks. She did not appreciate my pain interrupting her sleep. 

Anyway video appointment. Confirms trapped nerve abd even has a name for it. Apparently coming from my neck to shoulder and arm not other way about. 

Keep on with pain med and been prescribed some trapped nerve medication. To be taken at night and not allowed to drive following day, 

Looking forward to that if nothing else🤷🏻‍♂️

Amitriptyline? 

Governor Tarkin
51 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

It is indeed that just having picked up from chemist. 

Any good?

Amiltrampoline. 

Not my kind of dunt but I do know folk who enjoy them. 

You can report back tomorrow. :)

8 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Couldn’t tough out any longer, caved to wife telling me to contact quacks. She did not appreciate my pain interrupting her sleep. 

Anyway video appointment. Confirms trapped nerve abd even has a name for it. Apparently coming from my neck to shoulder and arm not other way about. 

Keep on with pain med and been prescribed some trapped nerve medication. To be taken at night and not allowed to drive following day, 

Looking forward to that if nothing else🤷🏻‍♂️

Get misses to get her elbows and knees into the area of concern. Deep massage will free it up. And a nice hot radox bath, cider and cocodamol usually does the trick for me, bud. Just don't drown. :D

Edited by ri Alban

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Well meh. In fairness I just took the prescribed dose as opppsed to a pack with a bottle of vodka which some might go for. 

Pain is no better but I did get a much better nights sleep, which is something. 

Anyway hopefully it starts easing soon. 

It'll take a few days to start working properly on the pain.

In the mean time you may start to feel a bit of a zombie.

Trapped a nerve in my arm years ago which was agony when i sat down (was at Easter road and had to keep standing up, was binned out by the stewards, *****)

Anyway Amitriptyline worked a treat, but did take a few days to kick in.  Slept for 12 hours a night too .

Never been on a spin bike in my puff but really fancy buying one and using with the Peloton app.  

Anyone have any experience of spin bikes? I’m thinking I’d not buy the Peloton bike as it’s nearly £2k but a £400 Amazon alternative and set it up like the Peloton.

Running wasn’t floating my boat and I’ve put a stone on in 8 months - at 42 I really want to shift it ASAP while lockdown looks like it’ll be here for a while yet.

All pointers appreciated!

2 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Never been on a spin bike in my puff but really fancy buying one and using with the Peloton app.  

Anyone have any experience of spin bikes? I’m thinking I’d not buy the Peloton bike as it’s nearly £2k but a £400 Amazon alternative and set it up like the Peloton.

Running wasn’t floating my boat and I’ve put a stone on in 8 months - at 42 I really want to shift it ASAP while lockdown looks like it’ll be here for a while yet.

All pointers appreciated!

Walk up and down the stairs for 20 minutes each morning and that should fire up the fat burning. And stuff your face with water instead of food between meals. 

Anyway I was looking at the bike thing, but for 2 grand I could enter the TdF. 

13 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

My trapped nerves has been agony, though now that it’s moving but much more pain than just a trapped nerve. I can’t even stand straight without a shit ton of pain. 

Managed to get a Chiropractor/sports physio appointment. It was only meant to be for a consultation but the girl took pity and started making some adjustments. 

Interestingly she thinks my issue is actually a fault in the left side which is causing issue in the right. Anyway the girl got a cracking and I start swearing like a 90’s rapper. 

The sound from the neck cracking echoed through the place and caused me to immediately shout you ****ing *****. Not the best choice 😞

I can’t say I feel anywhere close to a 100% but I have to concede there has definitely been a release/reduction of pain in some areas. Whilst I’m standing much straighter . It’s also the best I have felt since I did it. 

Back in next week for another dose and hoping that is going to manage to sort the immediate issue and might make a regular thing. 

Desperate to get back to lifting.

Best of luck, Lordie. Hope it gets sorted. 

Been doing pilates type stretching with a strong band to develop my core because of back pain.   

Done a fair bit yesterday and woke up at four feeling like I had cracked a rib.  Sore breathing and getting up. 

Had doc on the phone to see what it was.   He diagnosed the above and said take it easy.   How long does pain from this type of stretching last?

This is still sore

I was about to jack in every thing last week. I having been able to train, and I was unable to work properly for months, but it got to the point after the new year, where I literally couldn't do it any more. I couldn't breathe probably, I couldn't stand  or walk without being in agony. I had no strength and absolutely no energy. And my head was gone. I went home at lunch.  My Mrs had kept telling me to take this B12 capsules for months, but I kept saying no. But this time I said feck it, may as well.   :sad3:

:DA B12 capsule reversed  everything. Unbelievable. Now I can do my job and now have my eyes on a bench and weights. Just need the back to stop giving me arseache. 

On 26/01/2021 at 04:01, ri Alban said:

I was about to jack in every thing last week. I having been able to train, and I was unable to work properly for months, but it got to the point after the new year, where I literally couldn't do it any more. I couldn't breathe probably, I couldn't stand  or walk without being in agony. I had no strength and absolutely no energy. And my head was gone. I went home at lunch.  My Mrs had kept telling me to take this B12 capsules for months, but I kept saying no. But this time I said feck it, may as well.   :sad3:

:DA B12 capsule reversed  everything. Unbelievable. Now I can do my job and now have my eyes on a bench and weights. Just need the back to stop giving me arseache. 

Brilliant that you are back at it.

Have a mate who has b12 deficiency. He kept feeling like crap but just thought he had viruses or was knackered from work, let himself get unfit etc. Ended up being admitted to hospital where they told him he could've died. That's when he found out the cause was b12.

Sorry that seems a bit drastic. Im not saying you're b12 deficient but if it helps keep taking them and get back after it.

All the best 

4 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Brilliant that you are back at it.

Have a mate who has b12 deficiency. He kept feeling like crap but just thought he had viruses or was knackered from work, let himself get unfit etc. Ended up being admitted to hospital where they told him he could've died. That's when he found out the cause was b12.

Sorry that seems a bit drastic. Im not saying you're b12 deficient but if it helps keep taking them and get back after it.

All the best 

👍

Cheers. 

I was close to going to hospital. I was like an old cripple, bent over, limping back and hips were agaony, I'd become exhausted instantly doing the slightest thing and hadno strength. Thank god my Mrs kept at it with the b12.

My fitness has gone, but now I can sort it. 

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or if it's allowed (if it's not then please remove!).

I've been using my time in lockdown to put together a fitness business model to initially benefit people getting back in to exercise post-lockdown. I'm hoping to have this ready to launch in the summer. It's still in the early development stage at the moment and I'm looking for a wee bit of help with market research. The following survey should only take around 5/10 minutes and it would be a huge help in molding my business in a way that would benefit everyone in the best way!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSej0N8bIXTw3C9DkeP7DV19eVwusP5A7OQBuw4OpTlQ6Zf9FA/viewform?usp=sf_link

Thanks in advance if you're able to fill it out!

On 02/03/2021 at 10:18, Dano307 said:

Thanks in advance if you're able to fill it out!

Done. Dunno if it was really what you were looking for but tried to fill out honestly.

I have thought about PTs and stuff before but not felt the need to go there yet.

As you'll know it's a really competitive market, especially just now. All the best!

Not sure how accurate this is from Garmin Connect but fitness age of 25 means I am over the moon as I am actually 62, never had the abilitybto get VO2 Max from my previous watch

Screenshot_20210308-150916_Connect.jpg

53 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

What you looking for?

Gym equipment was quite difficult to get during the first lockdown. 

I’d probably just suggest going to Amazon and finding what suits you there for exercise and date wise. 

Alternatively, there are a bunch of sites that do second/hand return equipment which means you can some very decent kit at a good price. However, gym equipment defo a bit more expensive than used to as demand has soared. 

Just looking for a squat rack and bench, with some decent plates and dumbbells. 

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

was about to suggest www.iron-strength.co.uk as their prices are good and had stock available for 2-3 day delivery but their site seems to be down today 

Just now, Ribble said:

was about to suggest www.iron-strength.co.uk as their prices are good and had stock available for 2-3 day delivery but their site seems to be down today 

Thanks, I'll have a look once it's available. 👍

So I’ve been looking at spin bikes for ages, the Peloton especially, came across a guy on YouTube showing an alternative so watched another hunner videos on that and bit the bullet a went for it after a shed load of research.

5 days in, 6 x 20 minute rides done and I already feel like a new man! I’m following a 6 week beginner plan.

£400 for the bike

£30 for the cadence monitor

£15 for the iPad holder

£12 per month for the Peloton app with the first month free

E62411CF-305F-4FD7-9895-A22F9411B8D0.jpeg

Byyy The Light
On 16/03/2021 at 00:15, Armageddon said:

So I’ve been looking at spin bikes for ages, the Peloton especially, came across a guy on YouTube showing an alternative so watched another hunner videos on that and bit the bullet a went for it after a shed load of research.

5 days in, 6 x 20 minute rides done and I already feel like a new man! I’m following a 6 week beginner plan.

£400 for the bike

£30 for the cadence monitor

£15 for the iPad holder

£12 per month for the Peloton app with the first month free

E62411CF-305F-4FD7-9895-A22F9411B8D0.jpeg

Aside from the branding etc, is there anything this set up doesn’t have that the Peloton does?

15 hours ago, Byyy The Light said:

Aside from the branding etc, is there anything this set up doesn’t have that the Peloton does?

I've not done a live class yet so I'd guess you don't get added to the live leaderboard, when you turn the resistance on the Peloton i'm sure it tells you on the screen what figure your resistance is at, i'm just having to guess but so far it's not been an issue at all.  I've done 7 classes in 7 days and still have to do todays, I honestly wasn't sure for weeks but decided to go for it - wish i'd done it weeks/months ago as now I actually look forward to doing a class - mental!

I was actually £450 for the bike but paying with 3 x £150 interest free payments so even less of an outlay.  The Peloton app is amazing, the wife is using it for yoga and strength training, hunners of plans no matter what you want to do.

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

I've not done a live class yet so I'd guess you don't get added to the live leaderboard, when you turn the resistance on the Peloton i'm sure it tells you on the screen what figure your resistance is at, i'm just having to guess but so far it's not been an issue at all.  I've done 7 classes in 7 days and still have to do todays, I honestly wasn't sure for weeks but decided to go for it - wish i'd done it weeks/months ago as now I actually look forward to doing a class - mental!

I was actually £450 for the bike but paying with 3 x £150 interest free payments so even less of an outlay.  The Peloton app is amazing, the wife is using it for yoga and strength training, hunners of plans no matter what you want to do.

Brilliant info thanks. I’ve been humming and hawing about it but something like this might be the way to go. I’ve just been up the hills on my mountain bike and that will never be beaten but on the days I’m short of time or the weather is crap then this could be the answer 👍🏼

On 11/03/2021 at 08:18, ri Alban said:

Mirafit are really good , not overly expensive and good quality. Thats what i use

not just a game
23 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Which bike did you buy? I have been looking at them and every time I am close to making a decision see something that makes me reconsider.  There is just so much to consider - flywheel weight, braking/resistance system etc

1 hour ago, not just a game said:

Which bike did you buy? I have been looking at them and every time I am close to making a decision see something that makes me reconsider.  There is just so much to consider - flywheel weight, braking/resistance system etc

I was the same, so the 'must haves' are magnetic resistance, a very decent fly wheel and belt driven - I got all these from the JLL IC300 Pro, £450 and you can pay over 3 x interest free payments.  This has a 20kg fly wheel and it's very solid and smooth as a result.  If you look online there are a few complaint videos on a clanking noise, but it turns out this same noise is even common on the Peloton bikes - mine had a slight scuffing noise when it arrived but it was the casing just needed a tiny loosen off and it's now virtually silent.

The cadence monitor was a Wahoo from Amazon (£35) and it displays on the Peloton app screen when you do a class.

You can maybe tell i'm totally hooked! :)

On 20/03/2021 at 13:19, not just a game said:

I'm not a big cyclist. My mate is and just has a training wheel thing that he clips his actual bicycle onto and then goes various routes on a wee screen using Zwift.

Given the price of the peloton I think I'd be inclined to go for a Zwift set up and at least you can use bike outside as well?

On the topic of bikes though I bagged my first 100km cycle yesterday. I believe they call it a Gran Fondo. Leisurely pedal on a lovely day but still chuffed with that distance.

59 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

I'm not a big cyclist. My mate is and just has a training wheel thing that he clips his actual bicycle onto and then goes various routes on a wee screen using Zwift.

Given the price of the peloton I think I'd be inclined to go for a Zwift set up and at least you can use bike outside as well?

On the topic of bikes though I bagged my first 100km cycle yesterday. I believe they call it a Gran Fondo. Leisurely pedal on a lovely day but still chuffed with that distance.

Aye I looked at that but the noise is too much for indoor use, the Mrs also wants to use it so far from ideal to keep swapping in and out with bikes in the garage.