Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

26 minutes ago, sadj said:

Shadow boxing wi ppl on here might end badly. Lot of them would get confused which personality they were boxing with n hit themselves.  

I still had 5 months left of my gym membership when they shut. Hopefully they'll honour it when we start back again.

Edited by ri Alban

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

I still had 5 months left of my gym membership when they shut. Hopefully they'll honour it when we start back again.

i think they have come out and said they have frozen them and wont take payments. (Bigger companies) if hope others do the same , might be different if its a small independent one. 

Not much i'd add to what @sadj or  @ri Alban said. Would add some isometrics in though. Holding a pressup or bodyweight squat at the bottom position for 5 secs+ each rep soon starts to burn, a lot :lol:

Also unilateral work if you are only able to train with light dumbells or even learning to do things like a pistol squat.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully about to take possession of an exercise bike in the next week. I'm in total lock-down, can't go past my front door nor can the family. Not done exercise for some time, used to jog a year ago (5km every 2 days) then injured knee and not got back into it. Not going to go radge on the machine straight away, was thinking half an hour each day to start, but asking if a better suggestion for a build up? Start on low resistance then build it up or go distance then try longer? Like alot of folk just been coming to terms I'm stuck but now got the urge to do something. Very lucky to have a garden to escape to. Cheers.

19 hours ago, Beave1874 said:

Hopefully about to take possession of an exercise bike in the next week. I'm in total lock-down, can't go past my front door nor can the family. Not done exercise for some time, used to jog a year ago (5km every 2 days) then injured knee and not got back into it. Not going to go radge on the machine straight away, was thinking half an hour each day to start, but asking if a better suggestion for a build up? Start on low resistance then build it up or go distance then try longer? Like alot of folk just been coming to terms I'm stuck but now got the urge to do something. Very lucky to have a garden to escape to. Cheers.

I've been doing crosstrainer every Thurs for past few weeks to help with general fitness and it makes a difference vs doing nothing.

I'd start with a lowish resistance and do 30 mins. And then try to beat the distance each time. Or go a set distance and try to do that quicker each time. Keeps you pushing hard with that extra little challenge added to it.

44 minutes ago, RS86 said:

I've been doing crosstrainer every Thurs for past few weeks to help with general fitness and it makes a difference vs doing nothing.

I'd start with a lowish resistance and do 30 mins. And then try to beat the distance each time. Or go a set distance and try to do that quicker each time. Keeps you pushing hard with that extra little challenge added to it.

Cheers, much appreciated 

Went for a run today. First time since August and i'm about 5kg heavier lol. 4.29km in 26 mins 28 secs so not too bad, would be pushing a 30 min 5km. Almost exact same time as my run back in Aug.

Once i'm done with powerlifting i'd quite like to push for a 25 min 5km while maintaining a 200kg squat, 150kg bench and 250kg deadlift. Reckon i'd need to have a good all round level of fitness and strength to do that while likely looking decent too.

On 22/04/2020 at 19:16, RS86 said:

Went for a run today. First time since August and i'm about 5kg heavier lol. 4.29km in 26 mins 28 secs so not too bad, would be pushing a 30 min 5km. Almost exact same time as my run back in Aug.

Once i'm done with powerlifting i'd quite like to push for a 25 min 5km while maintaining a 200kg squat, 150kg bench and 250kg deadlift. Reckon i'd need to have a good all round level of fitness and strength to do that while likely looking decent too.

have you seen the boy thats started a petition to reopen gyms...Nothing like not understanding whats going on

2 hours ago, sadj said:

have you seen the boy thats started a petition to reopen gyms...Nothing like not understanding whats going on

I did. Even if it gets the 10k signatures it needs MPs will discuss it this way. "Thoughts on re-opening gyms? No. Next"

1 hour ago, RS86 said:

I did. Even if it gets the 10k signatures it needs MPs will discuss it this way. "Thoughts on re-opening gyms? No. Next"

Lunacy isn’t it. People are smashing stuff online helping each other , loads of zoom stuff with groups and clients. Oiii i want to lift weights even though reopening gyms just now moves us backwards but go on....please...

Any fitness folk explain this...

Ive been hammering the running to lose weight but almost a month in and ive barely made a dent.

Ive clocked 165km so far this month.

Eating sensible (while using up stuff in house due to essential shops) a typical day might be something like:

Porridge or just coffee (breakfast)

Poached egg on 1 slice wholemeal toast (lunch)

Small baked tattie and tuna, salad. Or veg with salmon/chicken. (Dinner)

Im doing very little weights. It bores me to tears but ive been doing a few minimal exercises with the single dumbbell i have at home.

Clocking up 10km most days id expected to lose some weight but its not really happened ? Any reason for that?

I feel a lot better and when its a nice day i enjoy a run so will keep it up regardless but its a wee bit of a downer not to see scales move.

Kennedy Bakircioglu
3 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Ive been hammering the running to lose weight but almost a month in and ive barely made a dent.

Eating sensible (while using up stuff in house due to essential shops) a typical day might be something like:

Im doing very little weights. It bores me to tears but ive been doing a few minimal exercises with the single dumbbell i have at home.

Clocking up 10km most days id expected to lose some weight but its not really happened ? Any reason for that?

I feel a lot better and when its a nice day i enjoy a run so will keep it up regardless but its a wee bit of a downer not to see scales move.

That's not a lot of calories for that amount of exercise. I realise it seems detrimental but you're probably not eating enough to stimulate fat loss. There's some more info here on it: https://chriskresser.com/are-you-an-under-eater-8-signs-youre-not-eating-enough/.

I'd download MFP and track calories for a few weeks to see how much you're eating. You can always use a calorie calculator on google to see what it suggests. Or even watch a video on YouTube like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJfzcVDWrrw&t=4s.

On training, why don't you swap in some sprints or hiit work instead of a 10k where your heart rate is realistically not going to get too high? An example would be Sprint 75m, rest 30 seconds. Repeat 8 times. Try two or three sets of this. Or some hill sprints with a walk back down.

Weight is a complicated issue and lots of variables so best not to rely on Kickback too much for advice! 

1 hour ago, Kennedy Bakircioglu said:

That's not a lot of calories for that amount of exercise. I realise it seems detrimental but you're probably not eating enough to stimulate fat loss. There's some more info here on it: https://chriskresser.com/are-you-an-under-eater-8-signs-youre-not-eating-enough/.

I'd download MFP and track calories for a few weeks to see how much you're eating. You can always use a calorie calculator on google to see what it suggests. Or even watch a video on YouTube like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJfzcVDWrrw&t=4s.

On training, why don't you swap in some sprints or hiit work instead of a 10k where your heart rate is realistically not going to get too high? An example would be Sprint 75m, rest 30 seconds. Repeat 8 times. Try two or three sets of this. Or some hill sprints with a walk back down.

Weight is a complicated issue and lots of variables so best not to rely on Kickback too much for advice! 

Cheers. I sort of new that a little bit now i think about it.

I guess cutting out biscuits, snacks etc has me curbing calories while upping the running increases the training. 

Its hard to get your head around the idea of over training /under eating as a 15.5st overweight plodder but i guess i do fall into that. 

Thanks for reply makes sense. Something to think about.

10 hours ago, Alan_R said:

def eat more and track your calories

change to hitt runs and each week drop your calories by 50 a day so week 1 say 2000 a day , week 2 and 3 1950 a day , week 4 and 5 1900 a day , week 6 and 7 1850 a day. 
Each week increase the hiit by 5mins. Starting with 25mins.

really really basic but if its just weight you want to lose this should help. I do 200m walk 100m run as opposed to timed. But find what works for you

12 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Cheers. I sort of new that a little bit now i think about it.

I guess cutting out biscuits, snacks etc has me curbing calories while upping the running increases the training. 

Its hard to get your head around the idea of over training /under eating as a 15.5st overweight plodder but i guess i do fall into that. 

Thanks for reply makes sense. Something to think about.

Try running first thing without eating. Could trigger your metabolism, hopefully. 

15 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Try running first thing without eating. Could trigger your metabolism, hopefully. 

Ri Alban with another very good suggestion. 👌🏻 Also add in things like chili’s , cinnamon , cayenne pepper all are natural metabolic activators.... 

8 hours ago, sadj said:

Ri Alban with another very good suggestion. 👌🏻 Also add in things like chili’s , cinnamon , cayenne pepper all are natural metabolic activators.... 

Up the protein intake as well. 

No big deal for some but managed to get this mornkngs 10km done on the good side of an hour for first time in years. Sub 60min.

Not quite hill sprints but taking titbits i tries to introduce a bit more pace/effort going up hill.

2 hours ago, Alan_R said:

No big deal for some but managed to get this mornkngs 10km done on the good side of an hour for first time in years. Sub 60min.

Not quite hill sprints but taking titbits i tries to introduce a bit more pace/effort going up hill.

:yas:

You'll be at 50 minutes in no time.

On 01/05/2020 at 13:06, Alan_R said:

Awesome , well in 👍🏻

How f###ing hard is it to get bar bells or weight plates anywhere just now that are in stock or not 4x the usual price 

2 minutes ago, Bozi said:

How f###ing hard is it to get bar bells or weight plates anywhere just now that are in stock or not 4x the usual price 

The population will remember all these feckers who ripped us off during this crisis.

Edited by ri Alban

14 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The population will remember all these feckers who ripped us off during this crisis.

I cant get in the gym so been using barbell and kettlebells in the garage,need more weight but everywhere is sold out or the prices are unreal 

It's really annoying and the gyms wont be opening any time soon

8 minutes ago, Bozi said:

I cant get in the gym so been using barbell and kettlebells in the garage,need more weight but everywhere is sold out or the prices are unreal 

It's really annoying and the gyms wont be opening any time soon

Fill some water drums, if you can get a hold of some. 

On 05/05/2020 at 17:49, Bozi said:

Prices are mental i like my mirafit gear n iv seen it as you say 3 or 4 times the price. I also so a medicine ball (8kg) second hand on ebay being bid on and it was at £675 🤷🏻‍♂️ Makes me wanna sell all my gym gear n retire. 

my pal is selling a few 10kg cast iron plates but shes wanting £20 a plate (Aberdeenshire based though - not sure if thats any use)

59 minutes ago, sadj said:

Prices are mental i like my mirafit gear n iv seen it as you say 3 or 4 times the price. I also so a medicine ball (8kg) second hand on ebay being bid on and it was at £675 🤷🏻‍♂️ Makes me wanna sell all my gym gear n retire. 

my pal is selling a few 10kg cast iron plates but shes wanting £20 a plate (Aberdeenshire based though - not sure if thats any use)

Cheers man wee bit far for me to justify travelling, if I can get a barbell and possibly a bench I reckon I could sell the YORK multigym for a small fortune lol.

Seen one guy selling a bench,weights and couple of things for 200 quid but it disappeared for an hour and reappeared for 600 quid..madness 

Wish I'd realised there was such a demand for stuff. I'm England based so no use to folk on here but I've been thinking of shifting my weights and bench for a while as I now just do bodyweight and kettle bell stuff at home but always figured the tuppence I'd get back wouldn't be worth it.

Done my first ever half marathon today. In the not too disastrous time of 2hr 11min (plenty room for improvement but not unhappy)

Adding cycling in defo helped as ive done a few 30km cycles.

Only got a single dumbell at home so introduced wee circuits with that. (Any links to good single dumbell excercises or hiit for beginners welcome) obviously ive googled but gets a bit stale doing same ones.

Scales still not shifting which is a bit of a kick. But im just sticking with it. Trust the process will come good over time.

My fit pal has recommended 1900 cals a day for me to achieve weightloss. I come close but i regularly come under this and feel like ive been eating loads. 

On 10/05/2020 at 16:14, Alan_R said:

Done my first ever half marathon today. In the not too disastrous time of 2hr 11min (plenty room for improvement but not unhappy)

Nice!

For the dumbell you can do loads of stuff unliterally like curls, shoulder press, chest press, tricep extensions, cleans and then you can use it for goblet squats too. I'd look up kettlebell workouts because there's not much you can't do with one that you can't mimic with the other.

7 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Nice!

For the dumbell you can do loads of stuff unliterally like curls, shoulder press, chest press, tricep extensions, cleans and then you can use it for goblet squats too. I'd look up kettlebell workouts because there's not much you can't do with one that you can't mimic with the other.

Plus weighted crunches, pull ups, chin ups and leg curls band extensions if you ask the Mrs to balance it.

Thanks for tips above.

Not getting carried away as i know will be a lot of water weight etc but scales said 15st 3 today. (Was around 16st, five-six weeks back) im trying not to be obsessed about it but was good to see. Will be cheesed when it gets under 15st. My first target. Eventual aim 13st

Days not over and im on 30,000 steps

16 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Thanks for tips above.

Not getting carried away as i know will be a lot of water weight etc but scales said 15st 3 today. (Was around 16st, five-six weeks back) im trying not to be obsessed about it but was good to see. Will be cheesed when it gets under 15st. My first target. Eventual aim 13st

Days not over and im on 30,000 steps

Throw the scales in a cupboard and use the mirror.

41 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Throw the scales in a cupboard and use the mirror.

Good advice but id just be equally harsh on myself 😅

Sorry me with another daft question...

Ive now hooked up my fitness tracker to My Fitness Pal. so it automatically ports all my runs/workouts over.

my base 1900 cals + todays excercise has me needing 4900 odd cals. Do I just make sure I hit enough protein on the macros or am i really meant to eat 4000 odd cals?

6 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Sorry me with another daft question...

Ive now hooked up my fitness tracker to My Fitness Pal. so it automatically ports all my runs/workouts over.

my base 1900 cals + todays excercise has me needing 4900 odd cals. Do I just make sure I hit enough protein on the macros or am i really meant to eat 4000 odd cals?

4000 Cal's is pretty high. Especially on lockdown. Stick to how feel, as you're body will let you know if it's insufficient calorie intake or not, quite quickly.

Nutrition is my short coming. Im reasonably clued up on what I should be eating but I recently started using map my fitness again and despite feeling like I'm eating loads more than before and being stuffed I'm only clocking in around 2000 calories and can't meet my goal.

I'm not fat but I used to be a bit but I lost it running then I worked out a lot about a year ago and didn't put on any considerable mass or gain strength which I'm guessing was down to not eating enough to fuel it. However I'm worried that this uplift in food is much more than before and I'll get fat again.

Edited by Taffin

9 hours ago, Taffin said:

Nutrition is my short coming. Im reasonably clued up on what I should be eating but I recently started using map my fitness again and despite feeling like I'm eating loads more than before and being stuffed I'm only clocking in around 2000 calories and can't meet my goal.

I'm not fat but I used to be a bit but I lost it running then I worked out a lot about a year ago and didn't put on any considerable mass or gain strength which I'm guessing was down to not eating enough to fuel it. However I'm worried that this uplift in food is much more than before and I'll get fat again.

Were you still running when you were weight training? Thou I still still ran it was only a 3 km for fitness, so I could could go to my intensity level during mass building. One or the other, bud. Long distance running will steal your gains.

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Were you still running when you were weight training? Thou I still still ran it was only a 3 km for fitness, so I could could go to my intensity level during mass building. One or the other, bud. Long distance running will steal your gains.

Yeh, but not huge amounts. Maybe 10k per week.

I've been eating more (or trying to) this week and feel good for it. I'm not trying to get big or anything, but I'm quite a spindly person naturally and pretty weak so would like to make a bit of strength gains more than anything. I do need to still be able to maintain aerobic cardio levels so can't abandon the running completely but will probably focus more on short sharp bursts.

7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Yeh, but not huge amounts. Maybe 10k per week.

I've been eating more (or trying to) this week and feel good for it. I'm not trying to get big or anything, but I'm quite a spindly person naturally and pretty weak so would like to make a bit of strength gains more than anything. I do need to still be able to maintain aerobic cardio levels so can't abandon the running completely but will probably focus more on short sharp bursts.

👍 

I look at food and I put on weight, it's the type of weight I have to control. Muscle or flab. The later at the minute.

Fecking Buddha! :D

Bought some cheap running shoes so I can hit the cross-country, soon.

Good Luck! 

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

👍

I look at food and I put on weight, it's the type of weight I have to control. Muscle or flab. The later at the minute.

Fecking Buddha! :D

Bought some cheap running shoes so I can hit the cross-country, soon.

Good Luck! 

Haha, I think because I wasn't eating enough I ate junk before hence when I did get fat!

Nice one, I enjoy cross country running. Enjoy 👍

I'm currently the heaviest I've ever been and just ate an indian curry :lol:. Trained hard tonight though so I earned it

The Real Maroonblood
On 15/05/2020 at 21:07, RS86 said:

I'm currently the heaviest I've ever been and just ate an indian curry :lol:. Trained hard tonight though so I earned it

I'm back to being wiry due to lack of pub beer.

The wife's jealous :laugh:

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I'm back to being wiry due to lack of pub beer.

The wife's jealous :laugh:

I've been fighting the temptation to sit in the garden with some beers this past week or two when the weather has been so good lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Governor Tarkin
On 03/06/2020 at 15:19, Alan_R said:

Global running day apparently

Got a half marathon done this morning. Get in

Nice one.

Doubt I could manage a half marathon at the moment.

Trying to get 3 x 5k runs in a week as a minimum. Times vary between 24 -27 minutes depending on proximity to drinking sessions and which direction the wind is blowing from on Redford Road.

Was pinging the 5k runs in at bang on 19 mins on the treadmill at gradient 2 six months ago, but I was probably putting in > 60k per week when offshore.

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Nice one.

Doubt I could manage a half marathon at the moment.

Trying to get 3 x 5k runs in a week as a minimum. Times vary between 24 -27 minutes depending on proximity to drinking sessions and which direction the wind is blowing from on Redford Road.

Was pinging the 5k runs in at bang on 19 mins on the treadmill at gradient 2 six months ago, but I was probably putting in > 60k per week when offshore.

Impressive times!! Im a plodder. My PB on 5km is 22min. But that was 4 years ago, i want to get back there. Recently been getting between 24-29min depending on trail/road/hills.

Sub 30min used to be a struggle so nice to know progress being made.

I done a 5km yesterday morning and for whatever reason i was so sluggish. 34mins. Not about the time but just annoyed me that it wasnt a good run, felt such a struggle.

So ran double and smashed out 11km in the evening. Felt a lot better after that.