Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

27 minutes ago, sadj said:

Iv got you on insta mate , impressive as. It was me that gave you the wee exercises on there to give a go ??

I actually thought that lol, it was when I saw that you follow Hearts on insta I wondered if it was you ?. Thanks btw, I incorporated some of that into my weekly work, particularly the hammer curls and some higher volume and I backed off the sandbags for a bit. My biceps have felt far better since ?

Was being a bit cocky when I pulled that tbh but was so buzzing since it was the first time this year and I had won my weight class on my pull before it. Ended up being the heaviest of the whole comp as a few of the heavier lads were injured so didn't pull as much as they normally could lol.

Next comp is meant to be next Sat but I went to gym today and couldn't squat an empty bar to depth or pick up an atlas stone due to back pain. Nothing to do with me attempting a 330 deadlift with reverse bands 4 days after last comp ?‍♂️

sheer stupidity on my part

8 minutes ago, RS86 said:

I actually thought that lol, it was when I saw that you follow Hearts on insta I wondered if it was you ?. Thanks btw, I incorporated some of that into my weekly work, particularly the hammer curls and some higher volume and I backed off the sandbags for a bit. My biceps have felt far better since ?

Was being a bit cocky when I pulled that tbh but was so buzzing since it was the first time this year and I had won my weight class on my pull before it. Ended up being the heaviest of the whole comp as a few of the heavier lads were injured so didn't pull as much as they normally could lol.

Next comp is meant to be next Sat but I went to gym today and couldn't squat an empty bar to depth or pick up an atlas stone due to back pain. Nothing to do with me attempting a 330 deadlift with reverse bands 4 days after last comp ?‍♂️

sheer stupidity on my part

More than welcome , all here to help

each other. Anything you can do to ensure you are ok for Saturday? Cocky is the way to do it sometimes though. Need that mental belief that you will get it as much as anything.

23 minutes ago, sadj said:

More than welcome , all here to help

each other. Anything you can do to ensure you are ok for Saturday? Cocky is the way to do it sometimes though. Need that mental belief that you will get it as much as anything.

At this stage I think rest. Tested myself a few days back around comp weight and it felt OK but hit or miss how I am going to feel on the day I think, seem to have pinched a nerve so been getting sciatic pain and right foot going numb at times when I sit. Swithering right now because I want to do the comp but i'm only half as motivated towards strongman and would like to do well at the British in August for PLing.

Probs just make a call midweek next week I think

Edited by RS86

• 2 months later...
Bindy Badgy

Shawn Rhoden out of the Olympia. I assume the usual restrictions around commenting on things that could get the site in legal trouble apply.

7 hours ago, Stokesy said:

Shawn Rhoden out of the Olympia. I assume the usual restrictions around commenting on things that could get the site in legal trouble apply.

They should just give Phil his undeserved titles and save others the time and money.

Maybe should have watched the videos first. 

Edited by ri Alban

On 05/05/2019 at 21:36, RS86 said:

At this stage I think rest. Tested myself a few days back around comp weight and it felt OK but hit or miss how I am going to feel on the day I think, seem to have pinched a nerve so been getting sciatic pain and right foot going numb at times when I sit. Swithering right now because I want to do the comp but i'm only half as motivated towards strongman and would like to do well at the British in August for PLing.

Probs just make a call midweek next week I think

Are you all set for August? 

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Are you all set for August? 

Na, tore my bicep off at the elbow in May during 2nd event at Scotland Strongest man u90s. I had won event 1 with 230kg x 11 deadlifts. Event 2 was 330kg tyre flip and my left wrist went as I lifted it first time, went a second time and right arm went pop/crunch

1 hour ago, RS86 said:

Na, tore my bicep off at the elbow in May during 2nd event at Scotland Strongest man u90s. I had won event 1 with 230kg x 11 deadlifts. Event 2 was 330kg tyre flip and my left wrist went as I lifted it first time, went a second time and right arm went pop/crunch

:( Feck!

34 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

:( Feck!

Yeah not ideal. Surgically reattached by drilling through the radius bone, pulling tendon through and anchoring with titanium so put me out of action for a bit. That's me done with strongman now though, not worth it

1 hour ago, RS86 said:

Yeah not ideal. Surgically reattached by drilling through the radius bone, pulling tendon through and anchoring with titanium so put me out of action for a bit. That's me done with strongman now though, not worth it

Good luck! 👍

Tom and Luke will just have to carry the flag for Scotland now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/07/2019 at 10:58, RS86 said:

That made it sound so dramatic.... least your back now and looking decent mate , how you feeling?

27 minutes ago, sadj said:

That made it sound so dramatic.... least your back now and looking decent mate , how you feeling?

It wasn't good, one of those that you know instantly what's happened. Zero pain for first 15-20 mins thanks to adrenaline.

Na not back just yet, arm is nearly straightening and i'm slowly getting more ROM when I rotate it. Probs another 3-4 weeks yet before I can start light upper body work and bicep rehab work, been stuck training just legs for couple months now and not too heavy either. Long road ahead still :(

25 minutes ago, RS86 said:

It wasn't good, one of those that you know instantly what's happened. Zero pain for first 15-20 mins thanks to adrenaline.

Na not back just yet, arm is nearly straightening and i'm slowly getting more ROM when I rotate it. Probs another 3-4 weeks yet before I can start light upper body work and bicep rehab work, been stuck training just legs for couple months now and not too heavy either. Long road ahead still :(

Thought from yer insta you were back at it. Head up , you’ll get there pal

17 minutes ago, sadj said:

Thought from yer insta you were back at it. Head up , you’ll get there pal

Na that pic I posted last night was for comparison later once I am back in shape so it's me in a detrained state. Feeling motivated and desperate to get going again though

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, JamboSpur said:

Spare tyre.

whats the best way to rid myself of this?

I'm the same currently but sorting it out. 3x weight sessions a week, 2 x crosstrainer a week (a 5km and a 10km) cutting out alcohol and eating more chicken and rice and less pizzas is my approach to get back in shape

• 2 months later...
On 11/04/2019 at 22:58, Ferris Bueller said:

RUNNING SHOES/ TRAINERS

Looking to spend around £60 or should I need to spend more .

Depends what terrain you're going to predominantly run on. 

I've had Salomon Speedcross 3's for about 5 year (2 different pairs) and never had a problem but they are for trail really.

On 24/09/2019 at 08:46, RS86 said:

I'm the same currently but sorting it out. 3x weight sessions a week, 2 x crosstrainer a week (a 5km and a 10km) cutting out alcohol and eating more chicken and rice and less pizzas is my approach to get back in shape

Replace rice with cous cous and chicken with venison or turkey can help too

On 06/12/2019 at 14:51, sadj said:

Replace rice with cous cous and chicken with venison or turkey can help too

Been eating a lot of tortilla wraps with chicken or steak, cheese and plenty greens. Chicken or beef 3x a day and plenty fruit and veg. Eating has been consistent for a good while now again and I'm back in decent shape again, happy days :)

4 hours ago, RS86 said:

Been eating a lot of tortilla wraps with chicken or steak, cheese and plenty greens. Chicken or beef 3x a day and plenty fruit and veg. Eating has been consistent for a good while now again and I'm back in decent shape again, happy days :)

Glad to hear it pal. You going to stick with strength/power for your own wants or go back to comps

32 minutes ago, sadj said:

Glad to hear it pal. You going to stick with strength/power for your own wants or go back to comps

Competing again in March. Powerlifting only though, learned my lesson from trying and failing at strongman more than once

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2019 at 17:17, RS86 said:

Competing again in March. Powerlifting only though, learned my lesson from trying and failing at strongman more than once

How are you injuries, now. Is  March still the target?

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

How are you injuries, now. Is  March still the target?

Everything is going well and feeling good (touch wood) so still on track for March :)

8 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Everything is going well and feeling good (touch wood) so still on track for March :)

:thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, RS86 said:

I saw this on Facebook 😆

The free dinner was a clincher hahaha

Started back the gym on Saturday and we had to be evacuated. Some poor sod took a heart attack. (Looked desperate with the gym staff) I hope he's ok.

13 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Started back the gym on Saturday and we had to be evacuated. Some poor sod took a heart attack. (Looked desperate with the gym staff) I hope he's ok.

Jeez, not good! Scary for all involved I bet, especially the guy. Hopefully he is OK

• 1 month later...

Small beer to some of you guys on here but I completed my first Parkrun today.

Dreadful conditions but chuffed to have made the effort. Our team leader had suggested a couch to 5k for anyone interested so I went for it.

Managed a PB :lol:

11 hours ago, Boof said:

Dreadful conditions but chuffed to have made the effort. Our team leader had suggested a couch to 5k for anyone interested so I went for it.

Not at all, this is the kind of post that might make more people post on a thread like this. Well done.

On 07/03/2020 at 23:25, Boof said:

Well done. Couch to 5k is such a good idea, I know of a few folk who've done it and ended up much fitter and healthier as a result. Great concept

20 hours ago, RS86 said:

Well done. Couch to 5k is such a good idea, I know of a few folk who've done it and ended up much fitter and healthier as a result. Great concept

My brother in law did a couch to 5km which got his mentality in to looking after his health then he asked about training and now comes round to lift 4days a week without fail and loves it , feels healthier and better mentally. 👍🏻 Def worth it

• 2 weeks later...
David McCaig

A crazy ask in the current environment but... Does anyone know anywhere selling home gym equipment... that hasn’t sold out!!!

On 22/03/2020 at 21:22, David McCaig said:

A crazy ask in the current environment but... Does anyone know anywhere selling home gym equipment... that hasn’t sold out!!!

There are plenty of ways to workout and grow without heavy weights for a short time. Everyone has been freaking out and running to buy as much gym equipment as they can. Its not needed. 

It is however difficult to guide you without knowing what the aim is or what you are used to doing etc.....

@RS86

@ri Alban

and a few others im sure can suggest things for you. Just now is about helping each other both physically and mentally get out the other side. 

Maybe it would be possible for @Maple Leaf to help to arrange something whereby one of us or another poster could guide you through a few exercises or workouts , with either facetime , zoom or similar apps

3 hours ago, sadj said:

There are plenty of ways to workout and grow without heavy weights for a short time. Everyone has been freaking out and running to buy as much gym equipment as they can. Its not needed. 

It is however difficult to guide you without knowing what the aim is or what you are used to doing etc.....

@RS86

@ri Alban

and a few others im sure can suggest things for you. Just now is about helping each other both physically and mentally get out the other side. 

Maybe it would be possible for @Maple Leaf to help to arrange something whereby one of us or another poster could guide you through a few exercises or workouts , with either facetime , zoom or similar apps

Bodyweight exercises the route I'm about to go down. Door frame bar required.

Chin/Pull ups 

Press/Push ups using the couch for different angles .

Crunches/reverse crunches.

Tricep dips using the furniture for leverage again.

Use the stairs for exercise. 20 to 30 minutes up and down them will keep you ticking over.

I've a shite wee set of dumbbells which I'll do a full body workout with at high intensity. No rest interval. 

Flat press from the floor/Table

Incline using the stairs

Deadlift from shin height until I can't.

Bench over rows

Across the table pull overs

Squats holding dumbbell at chest

Squats holding dumbbells by your side

Shoulder press sitting on the floor or chair.

All 3 Delt raises

Shrugs.

You can add or change when at anytime, just a wee suggestion or two.

I'm sure a kettlebell can be used too.

Edited by ri Alban

18 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Bodyweight exercises the route I'm about to go down. Door frame bar required.

Chin/Pull ups 

Press/Push ups using the couch for different angles .

Crunches/reverse crunches.

Tricep dips using the furniture for leverage again.

Use the stairs for exercise. 20 to 30 minutes up and down them will keep you ticking over.

I've a shite wee set of dumbbells which I'll do a full body workout with at high intensity. No rest interval. 

Flat press from the floor/Table

Incline using the stairs

Deadlift from shin height until I can't.

Bench over rows

Across the table pull overs

Squats holding dumbbell at chest

Squats holding dumbbells by your side

Shoulder press sitting on the floor or chair.

All 3 Delt raises

Shrugs.

You can add or change when at anytime, just a wee suggestion or two.

I'm sure a kettlebell can be used too.

Forgotten the tris and bis.

Single hand tricep extensions

Two handed behind the head tricep extensions.

And if you can French press style with dumbbells.

Dumbbell curls seated and standing.

Preacher using the furniture if possible.

Edited by ri Alban

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Forgotten the tris and bis.

Single hand tricep extensions

Two handed behind the head tricep extensions.

And if you can French press style with dumbbells.

Dumbbell curls seated and standing.

Preacher using the furniture if possible.

👌🏻

5 hours ago, David McCaig said:

Thanks to both Sadj and Ri Alban 😎

No problem

We are all here to help. i’m sure @RS86 will help too , when/if he learns how to last five mins without breathing out his arse 😉

No , in all seriousness im sure i speak for every proper lifter/trainer/fitness person on here , if people want help or advice just ask 👍🏻

8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Shadow boxing if you have a full length mirror and a bit of skipping out the back door. 

Shadow boxing wi ppl on here might end badly. Lot of them would get confused which personality they were boxing with n hit themselves.  

7 minutes ago, sadj said:

Shadow boxing wi ppl on here might end badly. Lot of them would get confused which personality they were boxing with n hit themselves.  

Mair faces than Elizabeth Tower, you say. :D

You cannae have an opinion or query anything on here. And it's the same people every time, anaw.