Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

5 hours ago, RS86 said:

It's something I quite like about the gym I go to just now (Body Academy in Perth) that there's plenty of experienced folk - a lot who compete in bodybuilding powerlifting strongman and even highland games, and everyone is happy to help each other out. Been a decent amount of youngsters joined recently and seen them get pointers from a few folk and gave some advice myself, can't beat that kind of environment where everyone supports everyone

Do u think Tom Stoltman will ever best his big brother Luke. Couple of bears.

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Do u think Tom Stoltman will ever best his big brother Luke. Couple of bears.

Already has, he won Scotland Strongest Man last year dethroning Luke

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Good lad!

Tom has also loaded a 255kg stone over a yolk, heaviest stone anyone has ever lifted. He wants to take Brian Shaws record in comp.

Curious how he is going to do at the British in a few weeks. Still so young as well

3 hours ago, RS86 said:

Tom has also loaded a 255kg stone over a yolk, heaviest stone anyone has ever lifted. He wants to take Brian Shaws record in comp.

Curious how he is going to do at the British in a few weeks. Still so young as well

Eddie's retired, has he not? Bodybuilding.

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Eddie's retired, has he not? Bodybuilding.

Yeah he's done. Was never going to stay at that bodyweight long, 200kg isn't going to be healthy for most people. Different for Thor at 6' 9 than Eddie at 6' 2. Plus a lot of drugs needed to do what he did, big demand on his system.

He won't do BBing cos his waist and frame are too wide, aiming for film roles now I think

Edited by RS86

On 10/01/2019 at 11:40, sadj said:

The pull up thing. You should be able to do the basics definitely (including pull ups). However it could be a case of functional strength training is not her thing  , possibly its heavy weight strength training , explosive power , size gains or weight loss through cardio. That is a big stretch though as even without being a calisthenics person you should be able to do one pull up. 

Old injuries are a potential issue as well. I don't do pull-ups/chin-ups as I had a series of shoulder injuries back when I did judo competitively. I can eek a few out but it leads to several days pain where I can barely use my left arm. I learned a while back to do relatively light weight lat pull-downs and so on as it's a similar movement in a much more controlled manner.

35 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

Old injuries are a potential issue as well. I don't do pull-ups/chin-ups as I had a series of shoulder injuries back when I did judo competitively. I can eek a few out but it leads to several days pain where I can barely use my left arm. I learned a while back to do relatively light weight lat pull-downs and so on as it's a similar movement in a much more controlled manner.

Agreed but as a pt you should still be aboe to demonstrate the exercises your showing clients. There is certain exercises i dont do due to injuries but would still demonstrate to a client or if needed one of my colleagues would. 

Is anyone near Portobello that could do a favour n take some weights to my mum in South Queensferry? Its just some light weights n an ezbar. Im just stuck and cant get down myself

• 1 month later...
On 11/01/2019 at 11:46, RS86 said:

My thinking here would be identify and address the issue first, find out if there is an injury there or if it is mobility related. Adding drugs may mask the issue and allow you to train through it but it is more likely to become serious further down the line as it won't have been addressed. Looked up Smashwerx on youtube (Trevor Bachmeyer) if you need some ideas on mobility and things you can try, some great info in his vids

Have you lifted any the stones of strength around Scotland. Inver stone etc... I might go to Dalwhinnie and try for a free pint. :D

Strongland on Netflix. Episode 2 is called Stoneland.  It's about the Highland games and other strongman traditions in Scotland.

Part 1 is Basque

part 3 is Iceland

Edited by ri Alban

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Have you lifted any the stones of strength around Scotland. Inver stone etc... I might go to Dalwhinnie and try for a free pint. :D

Strongland on Netflix. Episode 2 is called Stoneland.  It's about the Highland games and other strongman traditions in Scotland.

Part 1 is Basque

part 3 is Iceland

I haven't yet. A couple of mates have lifted a few. It's on the to-do list for later this year actually

So fired on half a stone over Christmas and not been able to shift it despite running 3k 4 x per week, only made one change ... I've been eating granola for my breakfast, FFS it's got the same calories as a slice of chocolate cake, the last 4 weeks have felt pointless!!!  Overnight oats from tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Armageddon said:

So fired on half a stone over Christmas and not been able to shift it despite running 3k 4 x per week, only made one change ... I've been eating granola for my breakfast, FFS it's got the same calories as a slice of chocolate cake, the last 4 weeks have felt pointless!!!  Overnight oats from tomorrow.

Intermittent fasting could help. Do your run on an empty stomach for a week, just to see if it can fire up your metabolism.

41 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Intermittent fasting could help. Do your run on an empty stomach for a week, just to see if it can fire up your metabolism.

I run at 7am at the gym on an empty stomach, head for a shower then have my breakfast.  I guess I've been eating too much sugar as pre-Christmas I was knocking off maybe 1lb a fortnight until granola entered the frame :(

18 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I run at 7am at the gym on an empty stomach, head for a shower then have my breakfast.  I guess I've been eating too much sugar as pre-Christmas I was knocking off maybe 1lb a fortnight until granola entered the frame :(

Porridge and eggs.

On 20/02/2019 at 17:01, ri Alban said:

Porridge and eggs.

So in 2 days, swapped the granola for porridge and swapped my daily latte for an Americano - 2lb gone.  Already looking forward to Monday when I hit the 7am run with more days off the granola and lattes!!

2 hours ago, Armageddon said:

So in 2 days, swapped the granola for porridge and swapped my daily latte for an Americano - 2lb gone.  Already looking forward to Monday when I hit the 7am run with more days off the granola and lattes!!

Nice one ?

Might I also suggest running 5km twice a week and doing some body weight excercise on the other 2 days or some sprints instead?

4 hours ago, Armageddon said:

?

13 hours ago, Taffin said:

Nice one ?

Might I also suggest running 5km twice a week and doing some body weight excercise on the other 2 days or some sprints instead?

Deadmills and calisthenics suckey donkey dick initially but they work

I've got lazy in the mornings so my breakfast has been a cheap mass gainer shake with maltodextrin mixed in 500ml whole milk. 2 mins to make so very convenient :lol:

2 hours ago, RS86 said:

I've got lazy in the mornings so my breakfast has been a cheap mass gainer shake with maltodextrin mixed in 500ml whole milk. 2 mins to make so very convenient :lol:

I've started back on my mass building diet, just to get my body used to it again before I start back the gym. 6 whole eggs and 1 mug of porridge, a quick blend with a fork. 5 minutes in the microwave. Topped with peanut butter or broon sauce.  Magic!

I switch to 12 egg whites when I cut.

Edited by ri Alban

Just now, ri Alban said:

I've started back on my mass building diet, just to get my body used to it again before I start back the gym. 6 whole eggs and 1 mug of porridge, a quick blend with a fork. 5 minutes in the microwave. Topped with peanut butter or broon sauce.  Magic!

Sounds ace. The PB version anyway, not so sure about the brown sauce haha.

My training has been going well, readjusting to the demands of strongman so a bit less focus on my top end strength and working on bringing up my fitness and endurance for high rep and movement events. Not posted any videos for a little while but will stick a couple of recent ones up

8 minutes ago, RS86 said:

My training has been going well, readjusting to the demands of strongman so a bit less focus on my top end strength and working on bringing up my fitness and endurance for high rep and movement events. Not posted any videos for a little while but will stick a couple of recent ones up

Do you do any lung capacity routines. I used to spend 10 minutes a day. Taking huge breath and hold exercises. Sounds weird but it helped me with the deads and squats.

I'll watch your videos after the rugby. ?

Edited by ri Alban

40 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Do you do any lung capacity routines. I used to spend 10 minutes a day. Taking huge breath and hold exercises. Sounds weird but it helped me with the deads and squats.

I'll watch your videos after the rugby. ?

Na not something I have ever done tbh, but always had a decent lung capacity anyway. After a few reps it's going to be the lactic build up that catches up with me so trying to improve my lactate threshold.

Nudged away doing mostly running and cycling over the past year and a bit and managed to lose 2 stone, however I felt I reached a bit of a plateau with me ideally needing to lose another stone. 

Joined a gym roughly 4 months ago and changed to mostly weight based training and managed to lose another 8lb in that time until now. 

I'm enjoying the weights programme much more than the cardio side, mostly due to actually seeing the change in my body far quicker than I thought was possible. Safe to say I've got the bug. 

Also, I've got fairly comfortable with eating healthy and keeping control of my calorie intake. 

Now, my question, do I need to up my calorie intake to get stronger and build more muscle? I'm not exactly lifting anything heavy but It has done me fine so far. Any help for the next stage would be much appreciated as I find advice on the internet fairly confusing as they are all different. 

Cheers

23 hours ago, StSow said:

Nudged away doing mostly running and cycling over the past year and a bit and managed to lose 2 stone, however I felt I reached a bit of a plateau with me ideally needing to lose another stone. 

Joined a gym roughly 4 months ago and changed to mostly weight based training and managed to lose another 8lb in that time until now. 

I'm enjoying the weights programme much more than the cardio side, mostly due to actually seeing the change in my body far quicker than I thought was possible. Safe to say I've got the bug. 

Also, I've got fairly comfortable with eating healthy and keeping control of my calorie intake. 

Now, my question, do I need to up my calorie intake to get stronger and build more muscle? I'm not exactly lifting anything heavy but It has done me fine so far. Any help for the next stage would be much appreciated as I find advice on the internet fairly confusing as they are all different. 

Cheers

The short and simple answer is yes, you will most likely need to up your calories to see the kinda gains you’re looking for. 

You will I’ll most likely have been losing weight through being in calorie deficit with what you’ve done thus far. 

It it gets more complicated that that in that it’s not just about the calories you consume but what kind of calories they are and what different macro nutrients they are made up of. 

In in my own experience, I got a lot of weight off, but when it comes to actually putting that weight back on in terms of muscle mass, my diet was majorly lacking in protein and probably a fair bit down on carbs as well. 

I went from 1200 calories a day whilst losing weight up to about 2000 odd while trying to maintain weight and gain muscle. It’s still a struggle for me though. 

10 hours ago, Erik said:

The short and simple answer is yes, you will most likely need to up your calories to see the kinda gains you’re looking for. 

You will I’ll most likely have been losing weight through being in calorie deficit with what you’ve done thus far. 

It it gets more complicated that that in that it’s not just about the calories you consume but what kind of calories they are and what different macro nutrients they are made up of. 

In in my own experience, I got a lot of weight off, but when it comes to actually putting that weight back on in terms of muscle mass, my diet was majorly lacking in protein and probably a fair bit down on carbs as well. 

I went from 1200 calories a day whilst losing weight up to about 2000 odd while trying to maintain weight and gain muscle. It’s still a struggle for me though. 

What works for you will really depend on body type , training etc. I always just go high protein medium fat and med/low carb when i grow as that works for me. My resting calories ie if im in bed all day not moving a muscle is 2240 when im in my normal place bodywise. You could most probably take a fair bit more calories than 1200 in as long as you train properly and still drop weight. I also tend to train by volume rather than reps n sets. My leg days when in a good place are 90000 to 100000kg volume days.

In saying that scales are not a good judgement of how your doing. A good few pts now will just say do intuitive eating if your diets generally healthy. 

Nutrionists will always tell you the basic fact of calorie deficit causes weight loss , calorie excess weight gain. What is deficit and excess will change as you progress. 

On 23/02/2019 at 15:01, RS86 said:

Superb mate , thats me easing back in after injury and im already itching to get back to my old weights for things.

On 26/02/2019 at 00:22, sadj said:

Superb mate , thats me easing back in after injury and im already itching to get back to my old weights for things.

Thanks, had a fairly good run of training and everything is moving well. Just trying to keep that going through til next comp in 9 weeks. Listening to my body a lot more this time round and not pushing too hard if I am feeling beat up or tired and touch wood no niggles or injuries thus far.

On 05/03/2019 at 10:25, RS86 said:

Thanks, had a fairly good run of training and everything is moving well. Just trying to keep that going through til next comp in 9 weeks. Listening to my body a lot more this time round and not pushing too hard if I am feeling beat up or tired and touch wood no niggles or injuries thus far.

Yeah was having a scan on your insta , impressive. I think intuitive eating and training is the best thing for a lot of people in todays society. Its very difficult to be completely regimented. So many external factors can affect things aswell. I quite often go hard at it when im feeling good then will completely switch it up to really light slow training when im not or just have a day off and refeed.  

Edited by sadj

16 hours ago, sadj said:

Yeah was having a scan on your insta , impressive. I think intuitive eating and training is the best thing for a lot of people in todays society. Its very difficult to be completely regimented. So many external factors can affect things aswell. I quite often go hard at it when im feeling good then will completely switch it up to really light slow training when im not or just have a day off and refeed.  

Yeah 100%, flexibility in eating helps people adhere to diets. For example what's 4 'bad' meals a week when the alternative is eating crap all the time for some people, eating better most of the time is better than none of the time.

I have tried to push myself through workouts I haven't felt up to to try and hit numbers I had written down and pre-planned in the past but external factors can definitely have a big effect on your sessions. Lack of sleep and tiredness from having 4 kids leaves me burst some weeks without considering the training on top. I am taking the approach this year of if I turn up to a competition at 85-90% but without injuries it's better than having pushed too hard and missed the comp altogether, if it means backing off I'll do it. Hopefully means less niggles :lol:

29 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Yeah 100%, flexibility in eating helps people adhere to diets. For example what's 4 'bad' meals a week when the alternative is eating crap all the time for some people, eating better most of the time is better than none of the time.

I have tried to push myself through workouts I haven't felt up to to try and hit numbers I had written down and pre-planned in the past but external factors can definitely have a big effect on your sessions. Lack of sleep and tiredness from having 4 kids leaves me burst some weeks without considering the training on top. I am taking the approach this year of if I turn up to a competition at 85-90% but without injuries it's better than having pushed too hard and missed the comp altogether, if it means backing off I'll do it. Hopefully means less niggles :lol:

Makes sense. Number of people I find who have been to a pt that says well you should be managing this or else. Lifes not like that. When i was ? id have weeks when everything was spot on and id be hammering out 300kg rack pulls , 650kg leg presses etc for fun , then other weeks when 240kg or 500kg was a struggle. You can't let those days get you down , even something as simple as eating at a different time or an hours less sleep can have an impact. Learn to listen to what your body tells you is so important imo.

Trying to prep for a comp and be ? in the right place on comp day is hard enough with no distractions. Its a really positive thing that you’ve accepted the reality is things might not be straightforward and set a realistic target that your ok with. Then if you surpass it ?? Sure you will smash the one coming up 

• 3 weeks later...

Right fellow Jambos. 

I'm away to Florida in 6 weeks, been trying to loose weight since beginning of Feb. so far I've managed almost 1 stone. 

Anybody got any way of helping to speed this up? I've started running every other day and Swimming once a week but if any of you have any workouts that can help me that would be great. 

Preferably home workouts but if I need to join a gym I will. 

Thanks in advance. 

On 26/03/2019 at 07:43, broony1985 said:

Right fellow Jambos. 

I'm away to Florida in 6 weeks, been trying to loose weight since beginning of Feb. so far I've managed almost 1 stone. 

Anybody got any way of helping to speed this up? I've started running every other day and Swimming once a week but if any of you have any workouts that can help me that would be great. 

Thanks in advance. 

Kris Gethin 12 week hardcore trainer. Do the first 6 weeks, you'll be laughing. Eye patch his products tho. It's on YouTube. 

Right fellow Jambos. 

Thanks in advance. 

Great effort so far , Get a good calisthenic workout (easiest thing for at home) and that will rip you up. Running is great but depends how your doing it. Also need to look at your diet or won’t make much difference. 

Right fellow Jambos. 

Thanks in advance. 

Do push ups, bodyweight squats, inverted rows and sit-ups at home every day you don't run. Over as many set as you please and spread throughout the day if necessary.

Start with 25 of each and work up to 100 then join the gym if you want to do more strength based training

• 2 weeks later...

Right fellow Jambos. 

Thanks in advance. 

Intermittent fasting. Stick to 600 calories in a day two times week. Takes a couple of weeks to get going, but it'll start working and you'll be losing 2-3 pounds a week.

Put on a couple of stone a few years back through a combination of injury and lifestyle changes, managed to shift it in just over three months. Still do one day a week just so I can enjoy as much food and booze as I like the rest of the week!

On 11/04/2019 at 22:58, Ferris Bueller said:

RUNNING SHOES/ TRAINERS

Looking to spend around £60 or should I need to spend more .

I'm not an expert but do long runs of 10k to half marathon. I usually spend about £60 on trainers but get then from sportsshoes.com where I think I am buying 'last seasons' model so getting a discount on the full price. This doesn't bother me as I'm never going to be reaching for a certain time or anything.  It might be worth getting an assessment at the likes of Run 4 it to make sure you get the right style of trainer. You' re not committed to buy (or certainly you weren't when I went)  I just said something about coming back on payday.

• 3 weeks later...
Jambomuzz

For anyone interested I was sent a new workout plan over from a mate as I was stalling a little with my training. Been on it a week now and every workout is absolutly beasting me and really enjoying the change up from the usual chest day, shoulder day etc. Here it is:

Push pull legs rest push pull legs Rest....

Push 1

•Cable lateral raises x 2 light weight (get the blood flowing) 
•High incline DB press 1x5-9 (heavy set) 1x10-15 (20% less weight) 
•2 clicks back DB shoulder press 1x5-9 (heavy set) 1x10-15 (20% less weight, finish set then rest 20 seconds then repeat till failure, rest 20 seconds again then one final effort till failure, this is called a rest pause set) 
•Dips 3x12-15
•Decline cable flyes 3x12-15 last set 20 second rest pause set same as described above
•Seated DB lateral raises 3x10-15 (after each set pick up 2x2.5kg plates and perform partial reps till failure then hold the plates in the top position until you can’t keep them up!
• Standing tricep cable crossover 1x20+ 2x10-15
• Tricep rope overhead extension 3xfailure

Pull R1

•Straight arm pull down 2x10-15 (get blood flowing)
•Deadlift 1x5-9 (heavy set) 1x10-15 (20% less weight)
•Barbell bent over row 2x10-15
•Lateral pulldown 1x5-9 (heavy set) 1x10-15 (20% less weight)
•Seated cable row 1x5-9 heavy set 1x10-15 (20% less weight, rest pause set 20 seconds rest x2)
•Smith machine or DB shrugs 3x10-15
•Cable rear delt flyes 3x10-15
•Ez bar bicep curls 3x10-15
Seated incline bench DB curls 3x10-15

Legs R1

10 min incline walk 
Foam roll activation 

•Barbell squat 1x5-9 heavy set 1x10-15 (20% less weight)
•Leg press 1x5-9 heavy set 1x10-15 (20% less weight, rest pause set 20 seconds rest x2)
•Leg extension 3x10-15 last set triple dropset 
•Lunges 2x failure sets
•Calves 3x10-15

Push R2

•Cable lateral raises x2 (get the blood flowing)
•Incline smith machine shoulder press 1x5-9 heavy set 1x10-15 (20% less weight, rest pause set 20 seconds rest x2
•Flat bench 1x5-9 heavy set 1x10-15 (20% less weight)
•Pec dec 1x5-9 heavy set 2x10-15 (20% less weight )
•DB lateral raises superset plate front raises 3x10-15
•Ez bar upright row 3x10-15
•Tricep v-bar push down 1x20+ 2x10-15
•Tricep overhead extension 1x20+ 2x10-15

Pull R2

•Chest supported DB row 1x5-9 heavy set 1x10-15 (20% less weight)
•Rack pulls 1x5-9 heavy set 1x10-15 (20% less weight
•Close grip pulldown 1x5-9 heavy set 1x10-15 (20% less weight)
•DB one arm row 1x5-9 heavy set 1x10-15 (20% less weight
•Pull ups 3x fail 
•Cable bicep curls 3x10-15
•DB hammer curls 3x10-15 last set rest pause set 

Legs R2

10 min incline walk 
Foam roll activation 

•Leg press 1x5-9 heavy set 1x10-15 (20% less weight, rest pause set 20 seconds rest x2)
•Lunges 2x failure sets
•Calves 3x10-1

4 hours ago, Jambomuzz said:

For anyone interested I was sent a new workout plan over from a mate as I was stalling a little with my training. Been on it a week now and every workout is absolutly beasting me and really enjoying the change up from the usual chest day, shoulder day etc. Here it is:

Push 1

•2 clicks back DB shoulder press 1x5-9 (heavy set) 1x10-15 (20% less weight, finish set then rest 20 seconds then repeat till failure, rest 20 seconds again then one final effort till failure, this is called a rest pause set) 
•Dips 3x12-15
•Decline cable flyes 3x12-15 last set 20 second rest pause set same as described above
•Seated DB lateral raises 3x10-15 (after each set pick up 2x2.5kg plates and perform partial reps till failure then hold the plates in the top position until you can’t keep them up!

Pull R1

•Seated cable row 1x5-9 heavy set 1x10-15 (20% less weight, rest pause set 20 seconds rest x2)

Legs R1

10 min incline walk 
Foam roll activation 

•Lunges 2x failure sets
•Calves 3x10-15

Push R2

•Incline smith machine shoulder press 1x5-9 heavy set 1x10-15 (20% less weight, rest pause set 20 seconds rest x2

Pull R2

•Pull ups 3x fail 

Legs R2

10 min incline walk 
Foam roll activation 

•Lunges 2x failure sets
•Calves 3x10-1

Cheers, Good luck .

Add a wee stiff legged deadlift to your leg routine.

12 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Cheers, Good luck .

Add a wee stiff legged deadlift to your leg routine.

**** deadlifts and while we are at it **** Bulgarian Squats 

20 hours ago, Jambomuzz said:

Push 1

•Dips 3x12-15

Pull R1

Legs R1

10 min incline walk 
Foam roll activation 

•Lunges 2x failure sets
•Calves 3x10-15

Push R2

Pull R2

•Pull ups 3x fail 

Legs R2

10 min incline walk 
Foam roll activation 

•Lunges 2x failure sets
•Calves 3x10-1

Looks decent to me