Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Bench PB tonight, up to 172.5kg paused now. Been at 170 for what feels like a while so was nice to finally see it progressing. Need to get it up to 180+ though

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/07/2018 at 23:42, RS86 said:

Bench PB tonight, up to 172.5kg paused now. Been at 170 for what feels like a while so was nice to finally see it progressing. Need to get it up to 180+ though

Have you seen the YouTube video of the boy being assaulted mid deadlift. I'd have put the nut right on that clown if that was my boy or me he did it to. Total arsehole. 

Edited by ri Alban

59 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Have you seen the YouTube video of the boy being assaulted mid deadlift. I'd have put the nut right on that clown if that was my boy or me he did it to. Total arsehole. 

Yeah what an idiot. That could have seriously hurt the lad and was totally uncalled for. A member of staff lost his job over that as he had asked the guy to have a word and intimidate him and the guy was banned from the gym, but he deserved a good slap for that.

The young guy who was lifting is coached by a powerlifter called Pete Rubish who is v well known in the sport and has 129k followers on instagram so the video of the idiot has had a ton of exposure, i'm sure he will get his comeuppance

It's been all over the main fitness YouTube channels. I would assume everyone that's interested in lifting has seen it.

Stuart McNeill

After having been out the gym since ending of the uni year. 

I've come to the conclusion I need to start again, slobbing about for three months over the summer just working and doing nothing. 

Getting older, better take it serious once again before it gets out of control. 

2 hours ago, Stuart McNeill said:

After having been out the gym since ending of the uni year. 

I've come to the conclusion I need to start again, slobbing about for three months over the summer just working and doing nothing. 

Getting older, better take it serious once again before it gets out of control. 

Every day that passes it will get harder, bet if you make a point of going over thr weekend you'll get back into the swing again.

I've got a comp in 9 weeks and another in 12 so things are gradually getting heavier again for me which has meant a tough week

Had been going to Crossfit on a 'two classes a week' basis for a while but was finding that due to being limited to just the two, I was finding myself picking and choosing the stuff that I felt more comfortable doing and as a result wasn't really pushing myself the way I'd wanted.

So - decided to sack my 'normal' gym membership at Pure and just go all in on the crossfit with an unlimited membership there - meaning rather than doing 2 crossfit WOD's and maybe 3-4 trips to Pure, i'm now just doing 5-6 Crossfit WOD's a week.

Its been tough for sure and now that i'm being less selective over what I've been doing its been a much bigger ask - as a result I found myself pretty wiped out last week. Feeling pretty drained - but, its been enjoyable none the less.

Back to muay thai at the start of September after 9 years away. Cannae wait. This time my deadlifting should have improved my clinch and throws. 

On 18/07/2018 at 10:55, skacel51 said:

Recently started deadlifting and was enjoying it but noticed the next day my lower back would be in agony and would have an effect on my training the next few days.

I asked a couple of trainers at the gym to watch my form and they told me my form was good so its maybe that my core, glutes or hips etc aren't strong enough and tight, which is what I think is causing the issue because I sit at a desk all day.

So I have started planking more and using a foam roller to try loosen up and get stronger but I am a bit worried about chucking myself back in to deadlifts in case I still keep getting the lower back pain. Has anyone had similar experiences or any advice?

iv a fracture in my spine that i find makes deadlifts incredibly uncomfy for me so I just do rack pulls instead. Literally the same movement bar the bottom 6inches. 

are you using a belt? How heavy were you going , had you stretched/loosened off first. Could be many things even something as simple as the angle or position of your feet putting stress on the muscles or posture is slightly off. 

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the past 5 days moving house which isn't such an easy feat with 4 kids. Decided to cram 2 sessions into one tonight. Squatted 170kg 24 times and benched 125kg 34 times. Just a tad ****ed now!!

I used to read this thread somewhat naïve to what the significance of the numbers were.

Its only when you really start to try for yourself and pay attention to the numbers that you realise just how impressive some folks work is lol!!

10 hours ago, Erik said:

I used to read this thread somewhat naïve to what the significance of the numbers were.

Its only when you really start to try for yourself and pay attention to the numbers that you realise just how impressive some folks work is lol!!

It's sometimes difficult to equate. I find a lot of friends and family I know who don't lift generally don't realise how much weight is on a bar until you convert it to stones for them, or people are more impressed seeing a car deadlift than a much heavier deadlift on a bar as it makes it relatable for them.

1 hour ago, RS86 said:

It's sometimes difficult to equate. I find a lot of friends and family I know who don't lift generally don't realise how much weight is on a bar until you convert it to stones for them, or people are more impressed seeing a car deadlift than a much heavier deadlift on a bar as it makes it relatable for them.

170kg squat 24 times is ****ing monstrous. 

Im up to 120kg for one (79kg BW) and I was ****ed after it 

2 hours ago, The Brow said:

170kg squat 24 times is ****ing monstrous. 

Im up to 120kg for one (79kg BW) and I was ****ed after it 

Luckily wasn't all one set, 8 sets of 3 reps. But you can imagine how my legs feel today i'm sure haha

The Godfather
18 hours ago, RS86 said:

Luckily wasn't all one set, 8 sets of 3 reps. But you can imagine how my legs feel today i'm sure haha

That’s very impressive. Managed a 177.5 kg pb other week and was delighted ! Like you say folk who don’t lift don’t get it and struggle to put into context. Started weights few years back with 1000lb target for single squat, bench and deadlift. Managed it last year and was really pleased. I’m 47 and 80 kg. Being a short arse helps in squats!

Good to read of others successes! 

4 hours ago, The Godfather said:

That’s very impressive. Managed a 177.5 kg pb other week and was delighted ! Like you say folk who don’t lift don’t get it and struggle to put into context. Started weights few years back with 1000lb target for single squat, bench and deadlift. Managed it last year and was really pleased. I’m 47 and 80 kg. Being a short arse helps in squats!

Good to read of others successes! 

177.5kg at 80 is very good. Particularly at your age too. My training partner is 51 and started with me after giving up rugby and he loves it. As the saying goes age is just a number, he is getting stronger all the time.

6 hours ago, RS86 said:

177.5kg at 80 is very good. Particularly at your age too. My training partner is 51 and started with me after giving up rugby and he loves it. As the saying goes age is just a number, he is getting stronger all the time.

Patronising post of the year. :rofl:

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Patronising post of the year. :rofl:

Not at all, there is a reason all the masters records in powerlifting are lower than the open records obviously but plenty folk don't let age hold them back. Andy (my training partner) started with a 120kg squat at 110kg bodyweight and within a year training with me I got him to 230kg, deadlift from around 160kg to 225kg. His bench is still shit though haha

Advice needed guys and girls. I have need to start to exercise been saying it for a while but now i feel like i want to do it. Was thinking 5 a side for a hour to start me off trouble is ive not played 5s for about 15 years would i handle it? Any other suggestions where to start i work and have 2 young kids aged 5 and 6 so nothing to major. Thanks in advance 

16 minutes ago, smartin1987 said:

Advice needed guys and girls. I have need to start to exercise been saying it for a while but now i feel like i want to do it. Was thinking 5 a side for a hour to start me off trouble is ive not played 5s for about 15 years would i handle it? Any other suggestions where to start i work and have 2 young kids aged 5 and 6 so nothing to major. Thanks in advance 

20 minutes every morning up and down the stairs. That'll fire up th metabolism and help kick start your day. 

On 11/09/2018 at 18:09, smartin1987 said:

5s would be a good place to start. Just remember warm up well and go at your own pace. Add in a little extra fitness work elsewhere in the week, even just start with a 30 min walk and build it up from there.

7 hours ago, RS86 said:

Fair play to Rhoden though. 42 or 43 years old I'm sure, must have thought his chance had been and gone.

Yip, and Roelly should have been 2nd. Hopefully that's the end of the bubblegut era. 

Bodybuilding to that extent is a mental illness. 

Looks ****ing rank as well. Tiny wee todgers and painted mahogany. **** that. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/09/2018 at 20:46, RS86 said:

Cheers! I agree age is no barrier to being able to get stronger, albeit at a slower rate than when younger. Other issue, for me, is I'm more injury/ache prone than when younger. Nowt can do about that tho!

3 hours ago, The Godfather said:

Cheers! I agree age is no barrier to being able to get stronger, albeit at a slower rate than when younger. Other issue, for me, is I'm more injury/ache prone than when younger. Nowt can do about that tho!

My training partner sees the physios from his old rugby club fairly regularly and has a full mobility programme to follow which helps him, but he has had a couple of set backs.

Ironically I just injured my tricep about an hour ago ffs, happens to us all

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/09/2018 at 14:10, RS86 said:

My training partner sees the physios from his old rugby club fairly regularly and has a full mobility programme to follow which helps him, but he has had a couple of set backs.

Ironically I just injured my tricep about an hour ago ffs, happens to us all

You obviously know your body better than anyone, but unless I'm mistaken i've followed this thread over a year or so and you are injured very often. I'm only speaking as an ex Army PTI so my knowledge aint extensive but i'd say you're lifting too heavy :thumbsup:

13 hours ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

You obviously know your body better than anyone, but unless I'm mistaken i've followed this thread over a year or so and you are injured very often. I'm only speaking as an ex Army PTI so my knowledge aint extensive but i'd say you're lifting too heavy :thumbsup:

A lot but not all injuries are more just niggles that heal in a week or two or as soon as I have a rest week. A few that have been picked up cumulatively from weeks of increasing %s on lifts.

Pretty common when peaking strength for competitions as you are essentially forcing your body to overcompensate for the day. In powerlifting I've found it's not always who can lift the most, it's who can make it to the platform the least broken :lol:

• 2 months later...

Been going to the gym 3-4 mornings a week before work for 9 months now and have only been running 3k then rowing for 10-15 minutes, just don't have the confidence to try any weights as it's full of people who seem to know what they're doing!!

Edited by Armageddon

39 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Been going to the gym 3-4 mornings a week before work for 9 months now and have only been running 3k then rowing for 10-15 minutes, just don't have the confidence to try any weights as it's full of people who seem to know what they're doing!!

Every expert was a beginner once.

Get stuck in. I used to be terrified of giving it a go but just go at your own pace. Remember, don't compare you weights or progress to anyone else. Everyone has their own goals and genetics.

On 04/07/2018 at 21:53, RS86 said:

How's training, Have you any upcoming events?

Looking for some programs, as I want to get back to the gym but have no motivation anymore. Something different , like powerlifting or strongman might do the trick. If you or anyone else could help , that would be grand. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Any runners in here who could assist?

started running about 6 months ago and ended up with lots of ankle pain and knee pain to the point I had to stop for 2. Months.

Got fitted for decent running shoes  and been back running pain free until today when the pain started again. Pain is worse if I land mid footed .

any seasoned runners who can point me towards a decent physio or and advice on stretching or rehab for ankle problems would be much appreciated 

the way way things are going I won’t get my goal of a Half marathon by May 

1 hour ago, 80bob said:

Any runners in here who could assist?

started running about 6 months ago and ended up with lots of ankle pain and knee pain to the point I had to stop for 2. Months.

Got fitted for decent running shoes  and been back running pain free until today when the pain started again. Pain is worse if I land mid footed .

any seasoned runners who can point me towards a decent physio or and advice on stretching or rehab for ankle problems would be much appreciated 

the way way things are going I won’t get my goal of a Half marathon by May 

I'm far from seasoned, started about 6 months back too but I was getting knee pain.

Stemmed from a weak hip flexor causing me to run unbalanced. Physio got me doing strengthening exercises with resistance bands and it has helped massively. Also started to get lateral hip pain on the other side so doing more leg and core work in the gym to strengthen and it's helping too.

Can't help with the foot but seeing a physio is worth it and I'd also recommend not adding too much distance too quickly. I did that and it set me back a fair whack.

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

I'm far from seasoned, started about 6 months back too but I was getting knee pain.

Stemmed from a weak hip flexor causing me to run unbalanced. Physio got me doing strengthening exercises with resistance bands and it has helped massively. Also started to get lateral hip pain on the other side so doing more leg and core work in the gym to strengthen and it's helping too.

Can't help with the foot but seeing a physio is worth it and I'd also recommend not adding too much distance too quickly. I did that and it set me back a fair whack.

Cheers 

will give the physio a try

think it’s been too many miles too soon ( 5 mile runs 3 times a week) also too many hills in some of the runs

done me a bit internet searching tonight and would seem like Achilles tendinitis but that’s obviously not 100% and will seek physio advice

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:51, Armageddon said:

If you're wanting to get more in to the weightlifting side of things - i'm not sure what gym you go to or what advice / instruction is available there, but defo get a trainer / instructor to get you moving and work on technique and form.

The amount of folk I used to see in pure who have obviously just 'given it a go' - but are doing it all wrong is pretty scary, and i'm saying that as someone who hasn't been doing it very long at all and who doesn't lift particularly heavy.

Your form should always dictate your weight, that's what we're taught. And without the form you'll end up hurting yourself.

4 hours ago, Erik said:

If you're wanting to get more in to the weightlifting side of things - i'm not sure what gym you go to or what advice / instruction is available there, but defo get a trainer / instructor to get you moving and work on technique and form.

The amount of folk I used to see in pure who have obviously just 'given it a go' - but are doing it all wrong is pretty scary, and i'm saying that as someone who hasn't been doing it very long at all and who doesn't lift particularly heavy.

Your form should always dictate your weight, that's what we're taught. And without the form you'll end up hurting yourself.

I go to PureGym a Quartermile ... defo going to get a 1-2-1 to help me with the weights.

Anabolic steroids etc... Has anyone used them? Thinking about it, as the pain is too much to train now and I'm told this will allow me to do so. Do need my baws anymore, so that's not a problem.

On 03/01/2019 at 06:46, Erik said:

On 03/01/2019 at 11:01, Armageddon said:

I go to PureGym a Quartermile ... defo going to get a 1-2-1 to help me with the weights.

I would be very careful using a pure gym pt , they offered me a job but a lot of them are either cokeheads / roid heads / moneypts or poorly trained. As the company is growing very fast they have employed some pts who really shouldn’t be in the job leading to some training companies to cut ties rather than have their name associated with them. 

There is plenty of online coaches who can help just as much. (Not just saying that as its one of my ways of pt’ing) A good pt is about the mental aswell as physical aspects and the wellbeing of a client not just the money. I have a couple of clients who are on here and they will im sure they would back up that its about the right pt rather than where they are. 

Form is for the most part crucial in lifting and if you start that correctly as you progress you will feel the benefits. Likewise what your goal is should dictate how you train or how heavy you lift at times.

Its also important that they are building your confidence in the gym and in you to progress

Edited by sadj

On 07/01/2019 at 05:54, ri Alban said:

Anabolic steroids etc... Has anyone used them? Thinking about it, as the pain is too much to train now and I'm told this will allow me to do so. Do need my baws anymore, so that's not a problem.

Iv never used them but iv a few mates who do , what kind of pain do you suffer. My knee when I had to give up football could go at anytime and collapse on me. By building it correctly i managed without meds or wraps to be leg pressing 650kg for my sets of 5x5 and would easily of managed heavier , only reason i didn’t was due to fear of hyper extension as I wasn’t using wraps. 

There is steroids which are specifically good at helping with recovery/healing. So it depends what you are suggesting. It is also beneficial for older gentlemen to take in testosterone but again not something Iv tried. Deca is an injectable that many use as part of a stack as a way to help repair muscles and heal injuries. Growth Hormone is also something that is worth reading up on , it can be very expensive but if its a road you are determined to go down then it may be a good option. 

There are plenty of forums where people will openly discuss the pros and cons and there also used to be a website that was like a steroids for dummies guide to them. 

Biggest thing is also do your own research and decide if it is for you. 

On 18/07/2018 at 13:29, ri Alban said:

Do Deads from shin high to build your lower back and grip strength. The time under tension doing 3/4 dead is better too. You don't need to deadlift from the floor.  Chuck in some front squats/squats/leg press for your quads. 

Yes , **** the deadlift zombies , iv never been much of a deadlifter far prefer rackpulls. 

2 hours ago, sadj said:

Iv never used them but iv a few mates who do , what kind of pain do you suffer. My knee when I had to give up football could go at anytime and collapse on me. By building it correctly i managed without meds or wraps to be leg pressing 650kg for my sets of 5x5 and would easily of managed heavier , only reason i didn’t was due to fear of hyper extension as I wasn’t using wraps. 

There is steroids which are specifically good at helping with recovery/healing. So it depends what you are suggesting. It is also beneficial for older gentlemen to take in testosterone but again not something Iv tried. Deca is an injectable that many use as part of a stack as a way to help repair muscles and heal injuries. Growth Hormone is also something that is worth reading up on , it can be very expensive but if its a road you are determined to go down then it may be a good option. 

There are plenty of forums where people will openly discuss the pros and cons and there also used to be a website that was like a steroids for dummies guide to them. 

Biggest thing is also do your own research and decide if it is for you. 

Mostly my left shoulder, elbow. As soon as I start to lift, it cramps up and I have to stop. My knees are goosed but, as soon as I start training my legs are great. The shoulder prevents me from getting into the squat. I've just about giving up. 

I might try some old fashioned Dbol. Just to see.

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Mostly my left shoulder, elbow. As soon as I start to lift, it cramps up and I have to stop. My knees are goosed but, as soon as I start training my legs are great. The shoulder prevents me from getting into the squat. I've just about giving up. 

I might try some old fashioned Dbol. Just to see.

I was having shoulder n elbow issues and i found out it was my grip. By changing to barbell curls for a bit it retrained the muscles and the problems disappeared. Not sure if that would work to help a squat problem. Just don’t do squats ? or you could put sissy squats as a superset to leg curls or smith bar squats with a pad so you dont need to use your arms to control it into your leg day.

19 hours ago, sadj said:

I would be very careful using a pure gym pt , they offered me a job but a lot of them are either cokeheads / roid heads / moneypts or poorly trained. As the company is growing very fast they have employed some pts who really shouldn’t be in the job leading to some training companies to cut ties rather than have their name associated with them. 

There is plenty of online coaches who can help just as much. (Not just saying that as its one of my ways of pt’ing) A good pt is about the mental aswell as physical aspects and the wellbeing of a client not just the money. I have a couple of clients who are on here and they will im sure they would back up that its about the right pt rather than where they are. 

Form is for the most part crucial in lifting and if you start that correctly as you progress you will feel the benefits. Likewise what your goal is should dictate how you train or how heavy you lift at times.

Its also important that they are building your confidence in the gym and in you to progress

I've trained at Pure down at Ocean Terminal for a couple of different spells which coincided with living in the area etc.

On my more recent spell training there, I recall watching one day as one of their female trainers tried, and failed miserably to perform just one solitary pull up in front of a punter.

Now granted, i'm not going to say that every single PT in the world should be some kinda athletic monster who can batter out reps all day just for fun - but surely to goodness you'd like to think they were at least capable of a pull up?! I dunno, it just make it look very unprofessional if nothing else I suppose.

3 hours ago, Erik said:

I've trained at Pure down at Ocean Terminal for a couple of different spells which coincided with living in the area etc.

On my more recent spell training there, I recall watching one day as one of their female trainers tried, and failed miserably to perform just one solitary pull up in front of a punter.

Now granted, i'm not going to say that every single PT in the world should be some kinda athletic monster who can batter out reps all day just for fun - but surely to goodness you'd like to think they were at least capable of a pull up?! I dunno, it just make it look very unprofessional if nothing else I suppose.

There has been a massive upsurge in people training as PTs the last few years , people see it as a growing industry and a fast buck. As I said , to me its about the person your helping and listening to them and their needs , not yourself and not money. For instance if I had a client struggling with something mentally it could be just a case of walk round the town with them and let them get it out their system for that session in order to progress. 

I have my ups and downs and iv seen me go into the gym and train for 5mins before I go “nope” and head home. 

A PT is selling themselves and that is both your personal connection and your aesthetic look. I have a few mates who have been management in Pure gym and iv moaned at them as Iv seen PTs ealking past people putting themselves or partners at risk by ignoring them squatting wrongly. The are in a position of responsibility aswell that they often forget. Im lucky in that i can walk up to someone (or could before I got ill) and due to the aesthetics they would say ok this guy clearly knows his stuff so ill listen. Its also how you speak to them. You can make them understand and listen without embarrassing them or hurting their ego.

As you say though its professionalism and perception. If i said get yourself a PT down at Ocean Terminal the last person you’d go near would be that trainer and even at that your thought process would be - hmm if thats the standard of PT im not going to get one in this gym. 

The pull up thing. You should be able to do the basics definitely (including pull ups). However it could be a case of functional strength training is not her thing  , possibly its heavy weight strength training , explosive power , size gains or weight loss through cardio. That is a big stretch though as even without being a calisthenics person you should be able to do one pull up. 

On 23/12/2018 at 06:05, ri Alban said:

How's training, Have you any upcoming events?

Looking for some programs, as I want to get back to the gym but have no motivation anymore. Something different , like powerlifting or strongman might do the trick. If you or anyone else could help , that would be grand. Thanks in advance.

Taking a year out from powerlifting and back to strongman this year. Entered Scotland Strongest man u90s this year so training towards that. Enjoying the slight change in training and having some different goals

For training programs a mate kindly shared this link with me recently, lots of different tried and tested routines you can try for various goals

https://analyzetraining.com/spreadsheets/

On 07/01/2019 at 05:54, ri Alban said:

My thinking here would be identify and address the issue first, find out if there is an injury there or if it is mobility related. Adding drugs may mask the issue and allow you to train through it but it is more likely to become serious further down the line as it won't have been addressed. Looked up Smashwerx on youtube (Trevor Bachmeyer) if you need some ideas on mobility and things you can try, some great info in his vids

Re PTs and learning how to lift that gym I mentioned a while back on here has opened now Lift Gym on Gorgie Rd. Andy who owns it is very knowledgable and is an experienced powerlifter but he also has some pretty clued up guys working with him (another lad Robert who also competes in powerlifting does classes teaching the basics I believe). Would be well worth a visit even of just to do a few classes to pick up technique advice for anyone who is unsure.

3 hours ago, RS86 said:

Re PTs and learning how to lift that gym I mentioned a while back on here has opened now Lift Gym on Gorgie Rd. Andy who owns it is very knowledgable and is an experienced powerlifter but he also has some pretty clued up guys working with him (another lad Robert who also competes in powerlifting does classes teaching the basics I believe). Would be well worth a visit even of just to do a few classes to pick up technique advice for anyone who is unsure.

Well worth it if your going to a gym with poor pts. Guys like that will help you aswell. Guessing your the same from previous convos. Usually decent sized/good strength guys won’t think twice giving advice or tweaks to movements and explain why. 

2 hours ago, sadj said:

Well worth it if your going to a gym with poor pts. Guys like that will help you aswell. Guessing your the same from previous convos. Usually decent sized/good strength guys won’t think twice giving advice or tweaks to movements and explain why. 

It's something I quite like about the gym I go to just now (Body Academy in Perth) that there's plenty of experienced folk - a lot who compete in bodybuilding powerlifting strongman and even highland games, and everyone is happy to help each other out. Been a decent amount of youngsters joined recently and seen them get pointers from a few folk and gave some advice myself, can't beat that kind of environment where everyone supports everyone