Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Bindy Badgy
On 5/14/2018 at 12:46, RS86 said:

I'd say you pretty much have it covered asides from if you have access to any machines and can do extensions as well.

No machines unfortunately.

I'm still getting a good work out though. Bodyweight stuff can be surprisingly hard once you ramp the reps up sufficiently.

Edited by Stokesy

39 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

No machines unfortunately.

I'm still getting a good work out though. Bodyweight stuff can be surprisingly hard once you ramp the reps up sufficiently.

I find anything that requires a degree of balance and stability like Bulgarian split squats hammer me with even really light weights. They are horrible lol

Mac_fae_Gillie

If anyone is trying to lose weight like myself I can strongly recommend a Fitbit bracelet(no doubt other companies exist) 

Knowing exactly how much your doing

Increasing activity as required

Plus if like me you want to beat you previous week totals you actually increase fat loss weekly,

Started my diet March lost 5lb in 4 weeks.

Got Bracelet lost 20lbs now in 7weeks...

On 4/27/2018 at 18:37, gjcc said:

Been hitting the gym the past month and eating healthier to lose weight. Lost a stone so far. 

Problem im having is knee pain during/after running. It's kept me away from running at the gym for the past week. I'm hoping it's just down to the footwear as I had just been using a pair of primark trainers and not that I run like an elephant.

I've just invested in a pair of actual running trainers in the hope that it helps. 

On 5/16/2018 at 13:20, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

If anyone is trying to lose weight like myself I can strongly recommend a Fitbit bracelet(no doubt other companies exist) 

Knowing exactly how much your doing

Increasing activity as required

Plus if like me you want to beat you previous week totals you actually increase fat loss weekly,

Started my diet March lost 5lb in 4 weeks.

Got Bracelet lost 20lbs now in 7weeks...

Fitbits are OK as a tool but majority of folk seem to overestimate the impact of their steps on their goals. I kind of fell into that trap a bit and use it as a secondary indicator to a proper traini g plan. 

If you are running I would recommend using a training plan, I am doing a couch to 10k plan on endomondo and over the last six weeks have gone from struggling to run a hundred yards to doing 5 miles with walk/run reps that change up constantly. 

I am also working in a kettlebells workout yo compliment this 

Mac_fae_Gillie
5 hours ago, Bozi said:

Fitbits are OK as a tool but majority of folk seem to overestimate the impact of their steps on their goals. I kind of fell into that trap a bit and use it as a secondary indicator to a proper traini g plan. 

If you are running I would recommend using a training plan, I am doing a couch to 10k plan on endomondo and over the last six weeks have gone from struggling to run a hundred yards to doing 5 miles with walk/run reps that change up constantly. 

I am also working in a kettlebells workout yo compliment this 

Agreed they are not to be taken as the be all/end all. But knowing exactly what your doing and been able to up your progress as required plus it gives you a complete record so you know if your dropping off.

They are by default monitors, although you can get workout routines off the site it is the fact you can balance your activity to weight loss. If I plan to get a few beers on Saturday then I got to up my calorie burn to pay for them just real nice getting the facts shown.

I do a 6-8 mile walk a day(10+ on day off) for sake of exercise about 2-3 of these walks I do small jog and recover so 200yds recover for 600yds etc the increase in Fat loss burn is huge compared to regular walking but my knee is pure buggered(bike crash) so best I can do. Also doing small 3kg arm weights just to give a wee bit of upper workout, still got a month before I will do floor work for stomach etc but getting there.

1 hour ago, RS86 said:

Managed to pull 320kg on a trap bar fairly easily today during my pull session. Surprising tbh

Good effort. I'd definitely follow through if I tried that. 

Edited by gjcc
Auto correct fix

11 hours ago, gjcc said:

Good effort. I'd definitely follow through if I tried that. 

Who said I never :lol:. Luckily I didn't

jambopilms

Any recommendations for relatively cheap GPS watches that can display time/distance and pace on one screen.  I don't want to be pressing buttons while running and I'm getting fed up of carrying my phone with me.

On 24/05/2018 at 22:05, RS86 said:

Managed to pull 320kg on a trap bar fairly easily today during my pull session. Surprising tbh

Alright Brad. :D Some gone there RS.

Have you seen that balloon Brad Castlebury with fake weights? :facepalm:

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Alright Brad. :D Some gone there RS.

Have you seen that balloon Brad Castlebury with fake weights? :facepalm:

I have. I just don't get it. He has an impressive physique and is probably capable of lifting some really heavy weights but makes out like he is superhuman. I guess it gets him a lot of extra exposure as I'd have never heard of him otherwise I suppose lol.

He was invited to train with former WSM Brian Shaw, even offered to pay to fly him out and provide accomodation etc but he never responded haha

9 hours ago, RS86 said:

I have. I just don't get it. He has an impressive physique and is probably capable of lifting some really heavy weights but makes out like he is superhuman. I guess it gets him a lot of extra exposure as I'd have never heard of him otherwise I suppose lol.

He was invited to train with former WSM Brian Shaw, even offered to pay to fly him out and provide accomodation etc but he never responded haha

A know, a strong lad. Mike Ohearn and several power lifters have offered him £10000 to take them on. No reply. Weird behaviour.

Bindy Badgy
20 hours ago, ri Alban said:

A know, a strong lad. Mike Ohearn and several power lifters have offered him £10000 to take them on. No reply. Weird behaviour.

I don't blame him for ignoring Mike O'Tren and any of the other fake natties. Ignoring Brian Shaw is weird though. Shaw has always come across as being a genuinely nice guy in anything that I've seen him in.

3 hours ago, Stokesy said:

I don't blame him for ignoring Mike O'Tren and any of the other fake natties. Ignoring Brian Shaw is weird though. Shaw has always come across as being a genuinely nice guy in anything that I've seen him in.

Very true.

On 27/04/2018 at 18:37, gjcc said:

Been hitting the gym the past month and eating healthier to lose weight. Lost a stone so far. 

Problem im having is knee pain during/after running. It's kept me away from running at the gym for the past week. I'm hoping it's just down to the footwear as I had just been using a pair of primark trainers and not that I run like an elephant.

I've just invested in a pair of actual running trainers in the hope that it helps. 

My advice would be to not run. Just **** it off until you're lighter. 

Theres loads of better cardio to be doing, rowing for one. Far more interesting as well and less prone to leave you looking like Mo Farah. 

Bindy Badgy
11 hours ago, The Brow said:

My advice would be to not run. Just **** it off until you're lighter. 

Theres loads of better cardio to be doing, rowing for one. Far more interesting as well and less prone to leave you looking like Mo Farah. 

Cycling and swimming are low impact as well.

7 hours ago, RS86 said:

A lad I know through competing in powerlifting is opening a gym in Gorgie called LIFT. Going to be phenomenal, he is going all out on the equipment

https://www.instagram.com/liftgymsuk/

Fair play that looks superb! If I still lived in Edinburgh I wouldnt hesitate to sign up. So many power racks........pure moist 

34 minutes ago, The Brow said:

Fair play that looks superb! If I still lived in Edinburgh I wouldnt hesitate to sign up. So many power racks........pure moist 

Once it opens I'll make a point of visiting it one morning before a match when I am through

broony1985

i'd love to loose a few pounds but struggling to find the motivation. Joined a golf course recently so i have an excuse to walk more though.

Can't really afford a gym membership on top of season ticket, golf membership, car, wife, kids etc etc. any ideas on how to do it from home and get motivated at the same time?

26 minutes ago, broony1985 said:

i'd love to loose a few pounds but struggling to find the motivation. Joined a golf course recently so i have an excuse to walk more though.

Can't really afford a gym membership on top of season ticket, golf membership, car, wife, kids etc etc. any ideas on how to do it from home and get motivated at the same time?

Ideally you want to be doing something you enjoy, do you like weights? Cardio?

You dont actually need any equipment something like 10 rounds of 

5 burpees

10 pushups

15 air squats 

Will get you sweating your arse off and  you'll be using your own weight as resistance. There's loads of sites with bodyweight circuits on them. Depending on how overweight you are, I'd download couch to 5k or similar to get you moving. Personally I love skipping. I do 7 minutes three times a week and its ridiculous how much you sweat and get absolutely knackered very quickly.

The main thing you'll need to watch is how much you're eating. If you're overweight you've consumed too much. Its all about baby steps, just cut some calories to begin, then keep increasing it until you're losing weight. Then you can worry about getting your diet in better shape. Too many folk just go mental on diet from day one. YOu wouldnt decide to start lifting weights and go straight to 100kg so why do that with diet? 

Theres loads of good info on this thread. Good luck tho 

broony1985
14 hours ago, The Brow said:

Ideally you want to be doing something you enjoy, do you like weights? Cardio?

You dont actually need any equipment something like 10 rounds of 

5 burpees

10 pushups

15 air squats 

Will get you sweating your arse off and  you'll be using your own weight as resistance. There's loads of sites with bodyweight circuits on them. Depending on how overweight you are, I'd download couch to 5k or similar to get you moving. Personally I love skipping. I do 7 minutes three times a week and its ridiculous how much you sweat and get absolutely knackered very quickly.

The main thing you'll need to watch is how much you're eating. If you're overweight you've consumed too much. Its all about baby steps, just cut some calories to begin, then keep increasing it until you're losing weight. Then you can worry about getting your diet in better shape. Too many folk just go mental on diet from day one. YOu wouldnt decide to start lifting weights and go straight to 100kg so why do that with diet? 

Theres loads of good info on this thread. Good luck tho 

Thanks. 

I'm not really over weight just a bit of a gut that i seem to have accumulated over the years of pints with the boys on a Saturday. Currently weigh 85KG and want to get down to about 77KG. 

My diet isn't really bad either, I don't eat much sweets, crisps, biccys and very rarely have takeaways. What I lack is the motivation to get off my rear and do some exercise. 

I'll have a look at some skipping rope, never really thought about doing that. 

Edited by broony1985
Additional info

8 hours ago, Ministry MK2 said:

When is this due to open mate?

Not entirely sure as there is ongoing work but judging by the pics a month ago they are not far off completing it ready to move equipment in. At a guess I'd say August-Sept

Captain Sausage

Been a year since my boy was born. Put on only half a stone, but went from great shape to chubby as I was doing weights 1 time a week max. 

Been on a business trip in Korea for a month in a 5* hotel with an ace gym. It’s always empty and I’ve been in every day. Really kickstarted my drive to get back into shape!

8 minutes ago, houstonjambo said:

Been a year since my boy was born. Put on only half a stone, but went from great shape to chubby as I was doing weights 1 time a week max. 

Been on a business trip in Korea for a month in a 5* hotel with an ace gym. It’s always empty and I’ve been in every day. Really kickstarted my drive to get back into shape!

It's hard sometimes to balance gym and family isn't it.

Just had our 4th child on Sunday so I'll be limited next few weeks when I can train (and be motivated to). 6 months paternity will help though.

Good that you've got the bug back, sometimes just takes that initial push to get going again :)

Captain Sausage
1 minute ago, RS86 said:

It's hard sometimes to balance gym and family isn't it.

Just had our 4th child on Sunday so I'll be limited next few weeks when I can train (and be motivated to). 6 months paternity will help though.

Good that you've got the bug back, sometimes just takes that initial push to get going again :)

4 kids. How the ****?!? How can you be smashing those weights with that many bairns screaming at you!!!

Massive respect to you for that. One of those things no one will appreciate til they’ve got a kid. It’s like a time warp. 

Its tragic coming back in. Gone from shoulder pressing 30kg dumbbells down to 20. Preacher curls from 40 to 20. Bench from 95 to 50! And don’t get me started on squats. Long road back, but I’m determined!

34 minutes ago, houstonjambo said:

4 kids. How the ****?!? How can you be smashing those weights with that many bairns screaming at you!!!

Massive respect to you for that. One of those things no one will appreciate til they’ve got a kid. It’s like a time warp. 

Its tragic coming back in. Gone from shoulder pressing 30kg dumbbells down to 20. Preacher curls from 40 to 20. Bench from 95 to 50! And don’t get me started on squats. Long road back, but I’m determined!

Maybe that's half the reason I lift as heavy, need to let it all out somehow haha! It def isn't easy but I just make do best I can lol

Mentally that can be one of the hardest things but you'll find it will come back relatively quick. After a bit of off time I like to try and build reps back up and keep weight moderate for first few sessions to clear the cobwebs before I step it up again

Captain Sausage
10 hours ago, RS86 said:

Maybe that's half the reason I lift as heavy, need to let it all out somehow haha! It def isn't easy but I just make do best I can lol

Mentally that can be one of the hardest things but you'll find it will come back relatively quick. After a bit of off time I like to try and build reps back up and keep weight moderate for first few sessions to clear the cobwebs before I step it up again

:thumbsup: It’s coming back slowly, depressing when you try and do things that used to be easy but now seem impossible. 

Good to know now there are other people struggling with that balance, most of the guys I work with are either single or dadbod and proud!

I started going to the gym just before Christmas and doing resistance training. Lost a lot of weight, got a but stronger and plan on trying to bulk up after summer.

I'm still about 17% body fat and I'd like to get down to 12 and then maintain 12-15 whilst adding a bit of muscle so thought I'd give running a try in addition to the gym whilst the weather is nice.

However, I'm awful at running. I just seem exhausted despite not being too unfit. When does it get easier? Will it get easier? If it does how long can I expect this to take? I figure 3-4 weeks similar to when I first adapted to going to the gym and lifting weights. Am I in the ballpark on that? 

31 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I started going to the gym just before Christmas and doing resistance training. Lost a lot of weight, got a but stronger and plan on trying to bulk up after summer.

I'm still about 17% body fat and I'd like to get down to 12 and then maintain 12-15 whilst adding a bit of muscle so thought I'd give running a try in addition to the gym whilst the weather is nice.

However, I'm awful at running. I just seem exhausted despite not being too unfit. When does it get easier? Will it get easier? If it does how long can I expect this to take? I figure 3-4 weeks similar to when I first adapted to going to the gym and lifting weights. Am I in the ballpark on that? 

I struggle mentally with running, in my head I feel knackered but when I go through my body parts, feet are OK, knees are ok, breathing OK, I'm actually fine.  I arrange to meet friends now as I find that chatting (or even just the company when I'm too puffed to speak) helps.  

28 minutes ago, Alex said:

I struggle mentally with running, in my head I feel knackered but when I go through my body parts, feet are OK, knees are ok, breathing OK, I'm actually fine.  I arrange to meet friends now as I find that chatting (or even just the company when I'm too puffed to speak) helps.  

I might give that a try. I always thought company was a hindrance when younger (I could run okay then) but I think that might be a big help as it certainly seems to be my head that goes first.

Thanks.

Edited by Taffin

Recently took up Crossfit a couple of times a week in addition to 'normal' gym after spending most of the last year or so learning about it through my other half.

Its tough. Very tough. But...... as the weeks tick by, I'm slowly starting to see improvements which makes it all worthwhile.

Theres a lot of mental hurdles to get your head around and whatnot, but despite it feeling like absolute hell at the time - its pretty enjoyable. I guess I'm starting to understand why folk can get so hooked on it.

On 27/04/2018 at 18:37, gjcc said:

I have bad knees , when Im outta shape getting back into it I use the recumbent cycle to ease myself back in while I build my quads heavy along with abductors / adductors until I can easily cope with the stairmaster. Proper trainers will definately help if you’ve got them from a proper running shop. Good job so far though thats a cracking start ??

On 22/06/2018 at 22:34, RS86 said:

This was particularly unpleasant today. 180kg x 18

That looks as pleasant as the 210 rep challenge to start chest day ?

4 hours ago, sadj said:

That looks as pleasant as the 210 rep challenge to start chest day ?

Can't say I have tried that. No intention to either, 210 reps sounds brutal even with just a light weight.

5 hours ago, RS86 said:

Can't say I have tried that. No intention to either, 210 reps sounds brutal even with just a light weight.

Its not fun but its good most iv managed it with is 60kg start with 1rep then 2reps and so on til you finish with 20 reps. Worth a try. I like mixing my sets n reps up. 

1 hour ago, sadj said:

Its not fun but its good most iv managed it with is 60kg start with 1rep then 2reps and so on til you finish with 20 reps. Worth a try. I like mixing my sets n reps up. 

Sounds decent tbh. Not something I'll try soon as doesn't really suit what I train for but maybe when I have no comps coming up for a bit of fun.

Benched today, all paused - 110kg x 5, 110kg x 5, 120kg x 5, 120kg x 5, 127.5kg x 5, 80kg close grip x 10. That was hard as well. Hating volume lately, particularly in this heat

1 hour ago, RS86 said:

Sounds decent tbh. Not something I'll try soon as doesn't really suit what I train for but maybe when I have no comps coming up for a bit of fun.

Benched today, all paused - 110kg x 5, 110kg x 5, 120kg x 5, 120kg x 5, 127.5kg x 5, 80kg close grip x 10. That was hard as well. Hating volume lately, particularly in this heat

I always train for volume but ill do it mixing sets up. Light legs is about 30000kg normal legs 75/80000kg heavy legs over 100000kg etc , chest i tend to do dumbells rather than barbells. Thats some amount of volume on chest though. Who’s your coach?

1 hour ago, sadj said:

I always train for volume but ill do it mixing sets up. Light legs is about 30000kg normal legs 75/80000kg heavy legs over 100000kg etc , chest i tend to do dumbells rather than barbells. Thats some amount of volume on chest though. Who’s your coach?

I don't have one, I just do my own programming tbh.

On 28/06/2018 at 17:03, RS86 said:

I don't have one, I just do my own programming tbh.

What ambitions have you set, Scotland/UK/Europe/World Strongest man? 

12 hours ago, ri Alban said:

What ambitions have you set, Scotland/UK/Europe/World Strongest man? 

It has actually changed over time tbh. When I started competing I decided within 5 years I will win Scotland Strongest man u90kg, but I no longer have any hunger for strongman so I am focused on goals in powerlifting instead. Just found strongman too hard to recover from vs powerlifting.

I'm 5' 8 and just over 14 stone so realistically never going to do much in strongman anyway. To put it into perspective this is me beside my mate who is a pro strongman and took 1st in the Scotlands strongest man qualifier this year

5b3c75f80a160_Screenshot_20180704-0807422.thumb.png.8ac77a7d1bbfc2b84f00a350a35b2f11.png

In powerlifting I've competed for 2 years and placed 2nd in Scotland across all federations (in the 90kg class) 2 years in a row now. My total this year would have won the 100 ⅞class by over 100kg though ironically, the 90s seems a very competitive class compared to most.

Big goal is to win the Scottish 90 class within next 3 years. Main goal for this year is top 5 at the British. I want to win that too eventually, but mainly want to get myself up to a level where I can be competitive first.

Have qualified for the Europeans and Worlds but would like to do more domestically first before I even consider those. I'm also now hitting big enough totals to compete in the pro competitions for money which is kind of cool, but not quite good enough to win and pick up the prize money yet lol

Also wanted the u90 all-time British deadlift record, but it has been getting pushed up more and more in the past 12 months so it'll be a big ask. I'm at 310, record is 330.

Last smaller goal I currently have is aiming to finish the year with 3x bw squat, 2x bw bench and 3.5x bw deadlift at the British finals in November. That would equat to 270kg squat, 180kg bench and 315kg deadlift.

6 hours ago, RS86 said:

It has actually changed over time tbh. When I started competing I decided within 5 years I will win Scotland Strongest man u90kg, but I no longer have any hunger for strongman so I am focused on goals in powerlifting instead. Just found strongman too hard to recover from vs powerlifting.

I'm 5' 8 and just over 14 stone so realistically never going to do much in strongman anyway. To put it into perspective this is me beside my mate who is a pro strongman and took 1st in the Scotlands strongest man qualifier this year

5b3c75f80a160_Screenshot_20180704-0807422.thumb.png.8ac77a7d1bbfc2b84f00a350a35b2f11.png

In powerlifting I've competed for 2 years and placed 2nd in Scotland across all federations (in the 90kg class) 2 years in a row now. My total this year would have won the 100 ⅞class by over 100kg though ironically, the 90s seems a very competitive class compared to most.

Big goal is to win the Scottish 90 class within next 3 years. Main goal for this year is top 5 at the British. I want to win that too eventually, but mainly want to get myself up to a level where I can be competitive first.

Have qualified for the Europeans and Worlds but would like to do more domestically first before I even consider those. I'm also now hitting big enough totals to compete in the pro competitions for money which is kind of cool, but not quite good enough to win and pick up the prize money yet lol

Also wanted the u90 all-time British deadlift record, but it has been getting pushed up more and more in the past 12 months so it'll be a big ask. I'm at 310, record is 330.

Last smaller goal I currently have is aiming to finish the year with 3x bw squat, 2x bw bench and 3.5x bw deadlift at the British finals in November. That would equat to 270kg squat, 180kg bench and 315kg deadlift.

Good luck :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

Recently started deadlifting and was enjoying it but noticed the next day my lower back would be in agony and would have an effect on my training the next few days.

I asked a couple of trainers at the gym to watch my form and they told me my form was good so its maybe that my core, glutes or hips etc aren't strong enough and tight, which is what I think is causing the issue because I sit at a desk all day.

So I have started planking more and using a foam roller to try loosen up and get stronger but I am a bit worried about chucking myself back in to deadlifts in case I still keep getting the lower back pain. Has anyone had similar experiences or any advice?

2 hours ago, skacel51 said:

Recently started deadlifting and was enjoying it but noticed the next day my lower back would be in agony and would have an effect on my training the next few days.

I asked a couple of trainers at the gym to watch my form and they told me my form was good so its maybe that my core, glutes or hips etc aren't strong enough and tight, which is what I think is causing the issue because I sit at a desk all day.

So I have started planking more and using a foam roller to try loosen up and get stronger but I am a bit worried about chucking myself back in to deadlifts in case I still keep getting the lower back pain. Has anyone had similar experiences or any advice?

Do Deads from shin high to build your lower back and grip strength. The time under tension doing 3/4 dead is better too. You don't need to deadlift from the floor.  Chuck in some front squats/squats/leg press for your quads. 

Edited by ri Alban

8 hours ago, skacel51 said:

If possible take a video from side view I'll have a look

Bindy Badgy
On 7/18/2018 at 10:55, skacel51 said:

I found that planking buggered my lower back. Probably dodgy form so watch your form with that as well.