Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Just can't help myself - entered a comp in December up in Laurencekirk :lol:

Treating as a bit of fun so won't push myself too hard as shoulder issue still present and also got a niggle in lower back now too...

RS86?

I've been asking Mr Ozturk about Isolate protein and he has suggested asking yourself.

What do you think of it for a medium to high exercise regime which includes running, cycling, a cross trainer, some bench work and light/medium weights?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

RS86?

I've been asking Mr Ozturk about Isolate protein and he has suggested asking yourself.

What do you think of it for a medium to high exercise regime which includes running, cycling, a cross trainer, some bench work and light/medium weights?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

For the extra you pay for isolate it is overrated IMO. A normal whey digests quickly anyway and also worth remembering carbs are 'protein sparing' (basically meaning if carbs provide you the sugar you need for energy your body won't target muscle for it).

Just adding in a shake here or there or focusing on making sure you get plenty protein in per meal (eggs, meats, nuts etc) will see you right.

A lot of people also make sure they have a shake immediately postworkout, doesn't make all that much difference I don't believe. A lot of growing and repairing happens when you are sleeping or at rest anyway, not in the 30 mins after a workout.

Hope that helps

For the extra you pay for isolate it is overrated IMO. A normal whey digests quickly anyway and also worth remembering carbs are 'protein sparing' (basically meaning if carbs provide you the sugar you need for energy your body won't target muscle for it).

Just adding in a shake here or there or focusing on making sure you get plenty protein in per meal (eggs, meats, nuts etc) will see you right.

A lot of people also make sure they have a shake immediately postworkout, doesn't make all that much difference I don't believe. A lot of growing and repairing happens when you are sleeping or at rest anyway, not in the 30 mins after a workout.

Hope that helps

Very helpful answer.

Thank you very much.

• 2 weeks later...

ok it's time to get fitter.  42yo 5 foot 5 and was nearly 14 stone!  been watching what i was eating and down to 12 stone 12 lbs in 2 months but now hit the buffers and not lost weight in last few weeks... any hints or tips?  also what exercise is best for weight loss?  been running 2 or 3 time a week plus play 5s twice a week.  

On 01/10/2017 at 20:34, RS86 said:

Hope that helps

Looking for some advice on creatine if you can please. I have been taking 6 grams of monohydrate every day for 3 weeks now and have noticed a definite improvement in physique and strength. Must add, I'm have only really been training for 6 months mainly to achieve muscle tone. I have got my body fat to 15% but am struggling to improve on this. Lad at work recommended kre-alkylyn efx but it's a good bit pricier than what I buy just now. Do you have any experience of it or any recommendations of a good creatine you use? Many thanks 

On 12/10/2017 at 13:41, cannonfoda said:

ok it's time to get fitter.  42yo 5 foot 5 and was nearly 14 stone!  been watching what i was eating and down to 12 stone 12 lbs in 2 months but now hit the buffers and not lost weight in last few weeks... any hints or tips?  also what exercise is best for weight loss?  been running 2 or 3 time a week plus play 5s twice a week.  

All cardio is good and you should be calorie deficient. Rowing machine works for cardio and some strength so is what I do when on a cardio session. When I went on a weight loss I used my fitness pal app. Excellent for keeping track of your calories. Keep at it though. Don't be too keen on constantly weighing yourself or beating yourself up if you don't lose. The last few pounds are definitely the hardest to shift. Also you may not notice your body changing shape but it will be. Sorry for the basic advice but keep going and good luck 

Edited by Alma Matters

31 minutes ago, Alma Matters said:

All cardio is good and you should be calorie deficient. Rowing machine works for cardio and some strength so is what I do when on a cardio session. When I went on a weight loss I used my fitness pal app. Excellent for keeping track of your calories. Keep at it though. Don't be too keen on constantly weighing yourself or beating yourself up if you don't lose. The last few pounds are definitely the hardest to shift. Also you may not notice your body changing shape but it will be. Sorry for the basic advice but keep going and good luck 

cheers AM.  

anywhere cheap to get a rowing machine?  

On 10/13/2017 at 15:28, Alma Matters said:

Looking for some advice on creatine if you can please. I have been taking 6 grams of monohydrate every day for 3 weeks now and have noticed a definite improvement in physique and strength. Must add, I'm have only really been training for 6 months mainly to achieve muscle tone. I have got my body fat to 15% but am struggling to improve on this. Lad at work recommended kre-alkylyn efx but it's a good bit pricier than what I buy just now. Do you have any experience of it or any recommendations of a good creatine you use? Many thanks 

I have tried a few different types of creatine and tbh the straight forward creatine monohydrate is just as effective. Was also advised by a Natural Pro bodybuilder that creatine monohydrate is the best one to use, it is the most studied variation and it's proven to work so there's no benefit to using the more expensive ones.

I haven't used it for a while as started getting stomach issues and it wasn't helping but generally I buy my supplements from either http://www.bodybuildingwarehouse.co.ukhttp://www.bulkpowders.co.uk or http://proteindynamix.com depending on who has an offer on. Far far cheaper than your average high street retailers

6 hours ago, RS86 said:

I have tried a few different types of creatine and tbh the straight forward creatine monohydrate is just as effective. Was also advised by a Natural Pro bodybuilder that creatine monohydrate is the best one to use, it is the most studied variation and it's proven to work so there's no benefit to using the more expensive ones.

I haven't used it for a while as started getting stomach issues and it wasn't helping but generally I buy my supplements from either http://www.bodybuildingwarehouse.co.ukhttp://www.bulkpowders.co.uk or http://proteindynamix.com depending on who has an offer on. Far far cheaper than your average high street retailers

Thanks for the links, I will continue with the monohydrate. 

Had 2 weeks off due to flu and then went back at it full pelt this week. 220kg deadlift 6 sets of 5. Shouldn't be surprised really but shoulder injury is back now :(

• 3 weeks later...
Better call Saul
On 12/10/2017 at 13:41, cannonfoda said:

I am 43 and 5ft 6 I lost 2 stone in 6. Months.. No juice only water 

Porridge in the morning soup in the afternoon or a sandwich 

And the gym of course 11 quid a month at exercise 4 less 

O ye... Cutting out the booze helped. 

10 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

My Back hurts just watching that

Lol. I rarely get back pain tbh, lower back muscles can sometimes get a bit tender but same as any other muscles after you train them. Pulled 290kg since then and tonight will attempt a few reps at 275kg

Had a solid run of training lately and shifting some big numbers, which 12 months ago I couldn't have anticipated. Worked really hard this year so glad I am seeing the results.

Peaking for competition on 2nd December so everything getting heavy now. Pulled 275kg x 3 last deadlift session, squatted 200kg for 2 on Tues and this morning paused benched 155kg for 2 :)

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great personal training session today. Booked another couple. Really knows his stuff. 

Says I am really strong in the dead lift and have the perfect frame/shape for it. 

See where this take me. He is setting up a programme which he will adapt every three months. 

On 29/06/2017 at 17:27, RS86 said:

Yesterdays deadlift session involved a 242.5kg double and 190kg for 11 reps. Wee bit sore today shall we say lol. Or at least I was til I hit the King Goblins earlier :lol:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BV5SgNoFfIW/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BV5TjI3lE6s/

Feck me. I though I was doing well with my five reps at 100kg :sob:

19 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Feck me. I though I was doing well with my five reps at 100kg :sob:

Got a comp this Sat and I am going for 300 deadlift, very confident I will get it :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've decided that I want to try and drop 2-3kg body fat and get my upper body a bit bigger and better defined. Can anyone recommend any websites/YouTube channels that are good for diet and exercise tips? I'm veggie 5 days a week now so tips for how to tailor my diet to that lifestyle would be useful.

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2017 at 15:34, RS86 said:

Hope that helps

Definitely get a meal or shake in writhing 2-3 hours of a workout. Something with a good amount of protein and carbs is essential. Your body instantly starts to try restore its muscle glycogen stores so carbs are needed or else it will have a negative effect. Protein needed to stop the catabolic effect on the muscles and promote growth. The right fats are also anti inflammatory which helps in the healing process- the last study I read on that showed no effect on muscle growth but that might of changed. Studies have shown a positive effect of nutrition within 3 hours of workouts and a negative effect if you’re not fueling yourself within that time frame. Shakes are just an easy way to get that done hence why they are so popular. Nobody wants to cool after a workout! 

8 hours ago, Dayman said:

Definitely get a meal or shake in writhing 2-3 hours of a workout. Something with a good amount of protein and carbs is essential. Your body instantly starts to try restore its muscle glycogen stores so carbs are needed or else it will have a negative effect. Protein needed to stop the catabolic effect on the muscles and promote growth. The right fats are also anti inflammatory which helps in the healing process- the last study I read on that showed no effect on muscle growth but that might of changed. Studies have shown a positive effect of nutrition within 3 hours of workouts and a negative effect if you’re not fueling yourself within that time frame. Shakes are just an easy way to get that done hence why they are so popular. Nobody wants to cool after a workout! 

Realistically the only way you'd go over 3 hours without a meal was if you were fasting or starving yourself though. I'd argue that even then as long as nutrition was sufficient for the day as a whole (and the previous day) the detrimental effects would be negligible. Def not needed immediately post-workout.

Shakes are definitely convenient, I have 40g whey with 100g oats in water every morning as an easy breakfast.

I train purely for strength and I don't take a shake immediately post workout but make sure I eat fairly well and get sufficient protein through the day. I'd say I am doing not too bad

5a606ff997636_Screenshot_20180118-0944082.thumb.png.11969eeec013366434e5af614ab0ca8f.png

2 hours ago, RS86 said:

Realistically the only way you'd go over 3 hours without a meal was if you were fasting or starving yourself though. I'd argue that even then as long as nutrition was sufficient for the day as a whole (and the previous day) the detrimental effects would be negligible. Def not needed immediately post-workout.

Shakes are definitely convenient, I have 40g whey with 100g oats in water every morning as an easy breakfast.

I train purely for strength and I don't take a shake immediately post workout but make sure I eat fairly well and get sufficient protein through the day. I'd say I am doing not too bad

5a606ff997636_Screenshot_20180118-0944082.thumb.png.11969eeec013366434e5af614ab0ca8f.png

Yeah most people will eat within a couple hours anyway. People may forget if they workout just before work and have a long busy day etc or work out at night, go home and sleep right away but usually you’ll never go that long after a workout.

24 minutes ago, Dayman said:

Yeah most people will eat within a couple hours anyway. People may forget if they workout just before work and have a long busy day etc or work out at night, go home and sleep right away but usually you’ll never go that long after a workout.

I have done that a couple times in the past tbh, gym in morning before work and forgot to have breakfast before setting off. Not a pleasant feeling when you're sitting hungry counting the minutes to lunch :lol:

5 minutes ago, RS86 said:

I have done that a couple times in the past tbh, gym in morning before work and forgot to have breakfast before setting off. Not a pleasant feeling when you're sitting hungry counting the minutes to lunch :lol:

I’m a personal trainer and a couple times I’ve forgotten to eat, worked out and taken too long and then been full booked for the afternoon. Trying to teach people squats after leg day when you think you’re about to pass out due to malnutrition is a disaster ?. I’ve been lucky in those situations that my last clients were always ones I get on with the best and don’t judge my swaying side to side ?

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

You look ready to pass out ?

Haha, face was pretty red after that :lol:

Weirdly enough the 290 I pulled just before felt harder though

Any Crossfitters in here? I want to mix up training and join a crossfit class a couple of times per week. Just looking for recommendations for a good gym to go to? I tried Murrayfield when it first opened, and i currently train in edin leisure Craiglockhart so Skirmish at Meggatland is close by that.

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

Been going back to the gym for a couple months now and have noticed some decent improvement. My strength is getting a lot better. However I feel that I may be starting to hit a plateau and I’m looking to change it up a little although still keep the high intensity. 

Usually make it around 3/4 times a week. And do a chest/tris, back/biceps and shoulders split, plus legs if I make it the 4th day. 

One thing that’s bugging me is my belly, I have little body fat across my body but when you get to my belly it’s like I’m 6 months pregnant if I don’t hold it in!! I realise a lot of this is down to diet, although I don’t indulge in fatty meals such as chippys/McDonald’s ect, my downfall is crisps and biscuits. Will this really be causing my belly??

im fairly young, 25. I don’t drink often, although I don’t have much cardio.

any tips? Do I try and introduce cardio into my daily workout and will this hinder my muscle building? 

1 hour ago, Jambomuzz said:

Been going back to the gym for a couple months now and have noticed some decent improvement. My strength is getting a lot better. However I feel that I may be starting to hit a plateau and I’m looking to change it up a little although still keep the high intensity. 

Usually make it around 3/4 times a week. And do a chest/tris, back/biceps and shoulders split, plus legs if I make it the 4th day. 

One thing that’s bugging me is my belly, I have little body fat across my body but when you get to my belly it’s like I’m 6 months pregnant if I don’t hold it in!! I realise a lot of this is down to diet, although I don’t indulge in fatty meals such as chippys/McDonald’s ect, my downfall is crisps and biscuits. Will this really be causing my belly??

im fairly young, 25. I don’t drink often, although I don’t have much cardio.

any tips? Do I try and introduce cardio into my daily workout and will this hinder my muscle building? 

Download my fitness pal and track your calories! Multiply your body weight in kg by 1.8 and that will give you your protein target. Hit calories target and protein target and you should see a change. If you can't shift body fat, it's usually diet!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Bindy Badgy
On 22/02/2018 at 13:05, tokyowalnut said:

Download my fitness pal and track your calories! Multiply your body weight in kg by 1.8 and that will give you your protein target. Hit calories target and protein target and you should see a change. If you can't shift body fat, it's usually diet!

Most studies I've seen say there isn't any gain above 1.6 g per kg body weight and even that might be overkill. You aren't going to do yourself any damage until you're consistently hitting more than 2 g per kg so bash on if you want to go a bit higher but I wouldn't get too worried about not hitting the silly targets that some people set.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26797090

Long-term consumption of protein at 2 g per kg BW per day is safe for healthy adults, and the tolerable upper limit is 3.5 g per kg BW per day for well-adapted subjects. Chronic high protein intake (>2 g per kg BW per day for adults) may result in digestive, renal, and vascular abnormalities and should be avoided. The quantity and quality of protein are the determinants of its nutritional values.

tokyowalnut
12 minutes ago, Stokesy said:

Most studies I've seen say there isn't any gain above 1.6 g per kg body weight and even that might be overkill. You aren't going to do yourself any damage until you're consistently hitting more than 2 g per kg so bash on if you want to go a bit higher but I wouldn't get too worried about not hitting the silly targets that some people set.

We would have to disagree on this one then. The 2 main nutritional drivers in losing weight is a calorie deficit (way out in front in terms of priority) and taking in sufficient protein. Everyone is different, obviously, I sit around 1.8 - 2g of protein per KG of body weight and it works well for me and for others that I train with. 1.6 is a good starting point, certainly not overkill.

On 3/3/2018 at 08:25, It should have been ten said:

Might've lifted it above your head.. jokes mate, very well done ????

Thanks lol

On 3/11/2018 at 11:32, Stokesy said:

On 3/11/2018 at 11:48, tokyowalnut said:

We would have to disagree on this one then. The 2 main nutritional drivers in losing weight is a calorie deficit (way out in front in terms of priority) and taking in sufficient protein. Everyone is different, obviously, I sit around 1.8 - 2g of protein per KG of body weight and it works well for me and for others that I train with. 1.6 is a good starting point, certainly not overkill.

I eat between 150-180 grams per day, I aim for 150 as a minimum. I think the amount of protein required is completely blown out of proportion personally, largely thanks to the supplement industry pushing it and suggesting you need large amounts to make progress.

Another thing to factor in when you are calculating your requirements is how much of that weight is actually lean body mass and not fat. A 12 stone guy who is 10% bodyfat will have more lbm than a 14 stone guy who is 25% body fat for example, but based on the 14 stone guy being 2 stone heavier you'd assume he needs more protein...

• 2 weeks later...

KETO DIET:

anyone got any experience with this?

Been doing it for a four or five days now, after seeing a friends success. Im not being super hard on myself as cutting the carbs and generally eating non processed stuff is still miles better than what i was doing. I probably need to up my healthy fat intake however.

QUESTION: I read that in time its beneficial to introduce longer fast periods. Most suggest skipping breakfast/lunch but im quite a breakfast person, sets me up for the day. whereas i can easily miss dinner. if im hungry ill just sleep it off.

would introducing some fasting "in reverse" still work or be pointless? id happily eat chicken, fats, greens at breakfast to keep me going through the working day and curb the eating at night

• 2 weeks later...

I hope to get back to the gym at the end of April. Started back the roofs and already dropped one of my bellies. Just hope the left arm cramps have gone. Not trained properly for over 2 years.

Anybody know what causes this. All pulling exercises and can't get under the squat. Shoulder to hand cramps and pumps immediately. Nightmare.

• 3 weeks later...

Just noticed this article on the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/0ba27d28-f574-463a-b7f9-1b292a5a98e8

I’m that fat man at the gym
I used to have panic attacks but now when I see people mocking me it just fuels me

The first few times I went, I was constantly worrying about what the other gym-goers thought of my body. It got so bad that just thinking about being in the gym changing room gave me panic attacks.

At a previous gym - a proper meathead place - I got so many stares from the other members that I ended up quitting.

Just a few weeks ago, at my current gym, I spotted a couple of younger guys by the weights bench who thought I couldn’t see them mocking me. It used to break me. Now it fuels me.

Are people seriously like that?  If I ever see someone overweight at the gym, I just think "go on yersel" because they've got the motivation to actually do something to change themselves.

What do people who take the piss like that actually think that people are in the gym to try and do? :muggy: 

Been hitting the gym the past month and eating healthier to lose weight. Lost a stone so far. 

Problem im having is knee pain during/after running. It's kept me away from running at the gym for the past week. I'm hoping it's just down to the footwear as I had just been using a pair of primark trainers and not that I run like an elephant.

I've just invested in a pair of actual running trainers in the hope that it helps. 

On 27/04/2018 at 14:16, tian447 said:

Just noticed this article on the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/0ba27d28-f574-463a-b7f9-1b292a5a98e8

Are people seriously like that?  If I ever see someone overweight at the gym, I just think "go on yersel" because they've got the motivation to actually do something to change themselves.

What do people who take the piss like that actually think that people are in the gym to try and do? :muggy: 

Arseholes who are probably just as self conscious in another way. Example being if someone feels smaller than others or weaker.

At the same time though, fat people who go to the gym are probably going due to looks on the outside of the gym so why would it be different in the gym? The mocking is out of order of course but I don't understand why they think anything would be different in a gym.

Bindy Badgy

Anyone have any recommendations for lower body exercises to do whilst recovering from a lower back injury?

At the moment I'm doing bodyweight squats, Bulgarian split squats, pistol squats and deadlift with just the bar. I'm doing all of these very slowly and paying maximum attention to form to minimise the chances of reinjury.

Edited by Stokesy

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2018 at 18:33, Stokesy said:

Anyone have any recommendations for lower body exercises to do whilst recovering from a lower back injury?

At the moment I'm doing bodyweight squats, Bulgarian split squats, pistol squats and deadlift with just the bar. I'm doing all of these very slowly and paying maximum attention to form to minimise the chances of reinjury.

I'd say you pretty much have it covered asides from if you have access to any machines and can do extensions as well.

Been doing more high volume stuff this past couple of weeks to try and add a bit of muscle and give my spine and joints a break from the constant heavy stuff until my next competition prep. Forgot how sore the DOMS can be while you readjust :lol: