Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

:pleasing: I felt bad the other night after 4 bags of walkers baked but this is next level :rofl:

Just hoovered a share sized bag of Malteasers there the now as well.

Gainz count from anywhere, right? :whistling:

Just hoovered a share sized bag of Malteasers there the now as well.

Gainz count from anywhere, right? :whistling:

Calories are calories. I had chip n donner and a portion of garlic mushrooms, can feel the gainz repeating on me :lol:

Absolute nightmare for me. I've broken my ankle playing football tonight. It was a fairly innocent 50/50 that we both went for and I've come off worse. I've got 2 breaks on opposite sides which basically means putting weight on it is impossible.

It's going to put a serious dent in my training :sob:

Anyone got any experience with getting on at the gym with injuries like this? Don't want my training to stop for 3 months!

Absolute nightmare for me. I've broken my ankle playing football tonight. It was a fairly innocent 50/50 that we both went for and I've come off worse. I've got 2 breaks on opposite sides which basically means putting weight on it is impossible.

It's going to put a serious dent in my training :sob:

Anyone got any experience with getting on at the gym with injuries like this? Don't want my training to stop for 3 months!

Nightmare! Try to keep your chin up as you'll bounce back fine.

I had a fall last July and fractured my ankle and tore ligaments. Wasn't able to squat or deadlift for some time so when I finally went back to gym I had to start just training upper body for a couple of months while it healed.

Was pretty down after it happened but now I'm stronger than I was before it happened and if anything it made me more determined. Just started out from the very beginning again and gradually worked my way back up from 60kg squat and 60kg deadlift til I had the confidence to go heavier. Didn't lose nearly as much strength or muscle as I expected either.

One thing I would say is once you are able to start moving it make sure you stretch and mobilise to keep as much flexibility in it as possible, will make a huge difference to your recovery

Alma Matters

So after 2 months of eating very healthily, going to the gym and eventually hitting my supposed ideal weight, I still have some belly fat that I cannot shift. I'm doing a lot of weights now as opposed to cardio to try and tone up and it's working except for around the middle.

Anyone got some tips of exercises that target this area without me losing elsewhere?

The websites I look at are quite contradicting in their advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any ideas for healthy lunches to make for work?

What's the best bread for sandwiches

Tuna pasta's always a good option. Tuna, pasta, bit of mayo and sweetcorn

But it's versatile, use different kinds of pasta (whole grain usually, but tesco do a good protein pasta, cooks in under 10 mins)

You could change the tuna for salmon if you fancied

Different flavouring, I like green pesto, takes 2 minutes to make your own, can use a flavoured humous, what ever you fancy, instead of the mayo

And you can change up the veg, I like fresh baby spinach through it, I've had soya beans, broccoli etc

You could make it a proper bake and coat it in cheese if you fancy more calories

And you can just eat it cold at work or heat it through, 

So after 2 months of eating very healthily, going to the gym and eventually hitting my supposed ideal weight, I still have some belly fat that I cannot shift. I'm doing a lot of weights now as opposed to cardio to try and tone up and it's working except for around the middle.

Anyone got some tips of exercises that target this area without me losing elsewhere?

The websites I look at are quite contradicting in their advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't target burn fat, it's a long established pillar of the fitness world

Just lose weight.

Unfortunately, for most like myself, that belly is the first place fat accumulates when I put it on and the stubborn ******* is the last bit to shift when I lose it (I say last to shift, I've never fully shifted it)

Certain body shapes are worse than others and someone might need to get down to fairly ridiculous low levels of BF% to shift it totally.  

Stuart McNeill

My biggest issue is stalling at 60/65kg on the bench press. This isn't the first time it'd happened either, the reason is due to my right wrist hurting.

If I am honest I'm not sure how my hands meant to hold the bar anymore due to me searching it up and watching so many folk in gym seeing how they done.

Anyone else have this issue?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I try to keep wrists neutral so as to reduce strain on them.

Have you tried wrist wraps? They help a lot, basically just extra support to stabilise your wrist

Not been to the gym in 2 weeks and I feel ****ing horrible.  All I've done is lie around the house, and I've hardly eaten a thing since I broke my ankle - because I'm not doing anything, my appetite is gone.

Going to try and go back this weekend.  I've now got one of those Moonboot things that the NHS give you instead of a cast and it does mean that I can walk around without the crutches, although probably not for long distances.  Should be able to do some upper body stuff at least :thumbsup:

Not been to the gym in 2 weeks and I feel ******* horrible. All I've done is lie around the house, and I've hardly eaten a thing since I broke my ankle - because I'm not doing anything, my appetite is gone.

Going to try and go back this weekend. I've now got one of those Moonboot things that the NHS give you instead of a cast and it does mean that I can walk around without the crutches, although probably not for long distances. Should be able to do some upper body stuff at least :thumbsup:

It's a nightmare eh. Will do you good to get back in and do some upper body work from a sanity point of view more than anything

It's a nightmare eh. Will do you good to get back in and do some upper body work from a sanity point of view more than anything

Tell you what though, getting about on the crutches is a workout in its own right. I've got the under the arm ones, so each step is basically doing wee dips to keep yourself going.

My chest and arms feel it at the end of the day! :lol:

Tell you what though, getting about on the crutches is a workout in its own right. I've got the under the arm ones, so each step is basically doing wee dips to keep yourself going.

My chest and arms feel it at the end of the day! :lol:

I had the other style but your right, triceps were burst by the end of the day lol

I had the other style but your right, triceps were burst by the end of the day lol

Better than sitting on my arse, eating 8 Crunchies for lunch.

Oh wait :jjyay:

Stuart McNeill

Yup, ordered the wrist straps. The pain is starting to interfere with my day to day life and I haven't even done bench press this week.

I'll let it rest for a while, to prevent further damage.

Yup, ordered the wrist straps. The pain is starting to interfere with my day to day life and I haven't even done bench press this week.

I'll let it rest for a while, to prevent further damage.

Is it possible you have injured/aggravated somehow outwith bench pressing? Any chance you could film a bench press, even just a light weight that shldn't hurt it so I can try and look at what's going on?

Stuart McNeill

Is it possible you have injured/aggravated somehow outwith bench pressing? Any chance you could film a bench press, even just a light weight that shldn't hurt it so I can try and look at what's going on?

Quite possibly, though I have had this pain before when I reached 60/70kg on the BP.

However I think I've definitely done more to it this time.

I am very form focused and try my best to make sure the forms okay before moving up to the next higher weight tbh.

Hopefully the sooner it gets resolved the better.

I may add it hurts only on one wrist and also when curling.

Carl Weathers

Anyone got any good suggestions for gymwork which will help me reduce my body fat %? Looking to lose around 5kg. I'm currently 85kg and skinny fat.

I do go to the gym but never build up a good level of consistency. I want to refocus now but using the most beneficial routines to decrease body fat.

My diet isn't great and I'll be working on that too.

Cheers

Stuart McNeill

Anyone got any good suggestions for gymwork which will help me reduce my body fat %? Looking to lose around 5kg. I'm currently 85kg and skinny fat.

I do go to the gym but never build up a good level of consistency. I want to refocus now but using the most beneficial routines to decrease body fat.

Cheers

If you're looking to start losing weight. You simply need to stop taking in so many calories into your body.

To work out your daily calories. Google TDEE calculator and it will give you an estimation of your daily calories you need. From here, download my fitness pal and start tracking your food. Get food scales to be more accurate.

For the gym, it depends how often you can go.

Starting strength has been mentioned in this thread before. Could look into trying that.

Cheers

I usually do HIIT to lose body fat, it's a killer but it does the job. I personally find treadmill/bike work boring so i tend to do burpees etc.

I've got a mate who just started going to the gym doing the following workout and it is helping him a lot.

10x jumping burpees, 10x press ups, 10x standing squats

9x jumping burpees, 9x press ups, 9x standing squats

8x jumping burpees, 8x press ups, 8x standing squats

7x jumping burpees, 7x press ups, 7x standing squats

6x jumping burpees, 6x press ups, 6x standing squats

5x jumping burpees, 5x press ups, 5x standing squats

4x jumping burpees, 4x press ups, 4x standing squats

3x jumping burpees, 3x press ups, 3x standing squats

2x jumping burpees, 2x press ups, 2x standing squats

1x jumping burpees, 1x press up, 1x standing squat

Rest a minute in between each set (or longer if you need it!). However, if you are just starting out i suggest you start from 1 and build up to 10 and see how you get on.

I also recommend doing shadow boxing as well, it is pretty hard if you have never done it.30 secs straight punching, 30 secs uppercuts, 30 secs above your head punching x 4 and have a minute rest after the 3 exercises. When punching go as fast as you can whilst keeping good form.

Also on a different day from doing burpees (because your legs will probably be sore after them) if you have the space you should give shuttle runs a bash, its horrific but it really does the job for burning fat.

Back to the gym on crutches today.

Nice solid Chest Workout, first time in 3 weeks. Feels good!

Back to the gym on crutches today.

Nice solid Chest Workout, first time in 3 weeks. Feels good!

Nice one. Was it easy enough getting in/off bench? I can remember it being a carry on for me lol. How is your ankle feeling now?

Nice one. Was it easy enough getting in/off bench? I can remember it being a carry on for me lol. How is your ankle feeling now?

I actually didn't have any problems at all mate. I have the moonboot thing now, and although I probably shouldn't have been carrying weights, I managed fine! It was almost like I hadn't been away, managed to do my normal stuff without much issue.

The biggest mistake was doing chest when I still need crutches to get around for anything outside the flat. Holy shit was that sore for the next 2 days :lol:

Quick question to see if I've picked this up right,

To gain muscle, I need to be in calorie surplus, but to lose fat, I need a calorie deficit?

So it's not possible to add muscle and lose fat?

Quick question to see if I've picked this up right,

To gain muscle, I need to be in calorie surplus, but to lose fat, I need a calorie deficit?

So it's not possible to add muscle and lose fat?

Think this is the widely accepted opinion now.

There is much more to it obviously but yes, you need to eat more than burn to gain muscle.

Ron Swanson

Got a wedding in 3 weeks. Tried my suit on (as close as it will get) 

Need a right kick up the arse and get shifting some of this podge. Could do with loosing at least an inch of the waist and a few off the belly.

Oh look, an egg custard tart...

Back from holiday, on the piss today (partly due to todays result) and back on it from tomorrow. Intense 15 week run in to British finals ahead...

Got a wedding in 3 weeks. Tried my suit on (as close as it will get)

Need a right kick up the arse and get shifting some of this podge. Could do with loosing at least an inch of the waist and a few off the belly.

Oh look, an egg custard tart...

You were quite slim IIRC when I drove up to Forfar, can't have put that much on since then surely lol. Do you do much exercise in general at the moment?

Ron Swanson

You were quite slim IIRC when I drove up to Forfar, can't have put that much on since then surely lol. Do you do much exercise in general at the moment?

Change of job and moving is the main cause for my lack of activity. More desk based and doing site visits than before so eating on the go etc. Just through bad habits really.

Went for a jog this evening so it's a start.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Change of job and moving is the main cause for my lack of activity. More desk based and doing site visits than before so eating on the go etc. Just through bad habits really.

Went for a jog this evening so it's a start.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I know the feeling. I am desk based and greedy so it's a nightmare lol.

I'd always recommend some weight training but I am biased towards that due to my sport lol. Track how far you are running and look to build it up gradually, but also track your eating (using myfitnesspal as Alim has mentioned cpl times in this thread will help). 3 weeks isn't long so I'd just aim to do what you can without going too mental

What excercises should I do to guarantee I am working my arms? I've been trying but I'm just getting nowhere and they're not getting bigger. I also worry when I do them I've using my back too much and working that instead.

Also when I do crunches on the abs machine it really hurts my upper thigh, does this show I am doing it wrong, or is there a better way to do it?

What excercises should I do to guarantee I am working my arms? I've been trying but I'm just getting nowhere and they're not getting bigger. I also worry when I do them I've using my back too much and working that instead.

Also when I do crunches on the abs machine it really hurts my upper thigh, does this show I am doing it wrong, or is there a better way to do it?

RustyRightPeg

I have this issue also. Would appreciate some comment on this!

Largest muscle in your arm is the tricep so you should really focus on those and work them harder/more than bis. Every pushing movement recruits tris so if you are hitting heavy bench presses, OHP etc they are getting some work from that. Supplement it with some CGBP and some form of extensions ie rope extensions or pushdowns. 10-12 reps on tri ext for 4 sets should get them burning. Also highly recommend dips.

For biceps just vary it with curls and make sure you are keeping elbows in tight so as not to swing the weights up. Even as low as 10-12.5kg dumbells can be used effectively IMO. Seated DB curls, hammer curls and preacher/concentration curls all hit em well. Again most pulling exercises like lat pulldowns or rows target bis as well.

I don't actually train biceps directly any more and they are the biggest they have ever been, 5'8 with 16 inch arms - just from targeting tris and the extra work biceps get from my back day.

Entered Angus Strongest Man u90kg today in 24 hour notice with no events training in months and took 1st place :).

Also got a big PB on stone, managed the 120kg stone for 3 reps over yolk https://www.instagram.com/p/BXbHLZUlfMp/

Very sore now but was a good distraction from todays result

Nice one well done! That stone exercise looks like my idea of hell haha!

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Nice one well done! That stone exercise looks like my idea of hell haha!

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Thanks.

Yeah they are pretty brutal. That's main reason I am sore today I think as they hammer everything legs, back and arms. Good fun though :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice previously btw :thumbsup: .

How quickly after eating at a defecit do you begin to lose muscle mass and strength? My new job at the weekend involves a hell of a lot of walking and I find it difficult to find the time to eat enough over the 2 days, sometimes I find it hard enough to eat at all those two days. Is that long enough to begin to lose muscle strength and mass? I'm worried I'm trying hard in the gym during the weekdays but losing it all over the weekend.

Always looking for players on a Tuesday night lads for 5 asides along the sigtill pits.

Pm if your interested.

Thanks for the advice previously btw :thumbsup: .

How quickly after eating at a defecit do you begin to lose muscle mass and strength? My new job at the weekend involves a hell of a lot of walking and I find it difficult to find the time to eat enough over the 2 days, sometimes I find it hard enough to eat at all those two days. Is that long enough to begin to lose muscle strength and mass? I'm worried I'm trying hard in the gym during the weekdays but losing it all over the weekend.

I have read loads of times now that muscle has a residual of around 3 weeks so unless you are completely starved I wouldn't worry too much tbh. Just get some slow-digesting carbs such as oats down you in the morning and try to get some protein through the day (maybe a protein bar or flapjack if possible) and then make up the calorie difference at night.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just started working off the Royal Mile.

Can anyone recommend a good gym around that area?

The gym (that is what it called) at waterloo is good. Edited by AlimOzturk

That's me done competing and heavy training for the year. Shoulder is buggered and needs to recover. Going to focus on getting fitter and leaner and then smash it in 2018.