Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Got a hairline fracture in my arm just below the elbow and a fairly nasty elbow bursitis thanks to a handball injury a few weeks ago. I've been training more or less as normal since then, but just before the weekend my arm swole up to ****. Got an emergency doctors appointment and it turns out I had severe cellulitis around my elbow. The swelling was larger than my bicep, and I'm on day 5 of my antibiotics.

Looks like the training is on the back burner for a wee while :(

Edited by tian447

Got a hairline fracture in my arm just below the elbow and a fairly nasty elbow bursitis thanks to a handball injury a few weeks ago. I've been training more or less as normal since then, but just before the weekend my arm swole up to ****. Got an emergency doctors appointment and it turns out I had severe cellulitis around my elbow. The swelling was larger than my bicep, and I'm on day 5 of my antibiotics.

Looks like the training is on the back burner for a wee while :(

I had that that. I woke up one morning with an elbow like John Merrick's forehead. Shat masel.

I had that that. I woke up one morning with an elbow like John Merrick's forehead. Shat masel.

Absolute shitemare eh? They actually wanted to admit me to hospital that night to get it sorted with IV antibiotics because it was that bad. I was bricking it at the thought, and asked if I could just take the tablets and if it was worse in the morning, I'd go up to hospital then. Thankfully the swelling didn't get any worse (not sure it could have, my arm was massive as it was!!) and the antibiotics seem to be doing the trick. Massive dose though, two times 500mg tablets 4 times a day :(

Absolute shitemare eh? They actually wanted to admit me to hospital that night to get it sorted with IV antibiotics because it was that bad. I was bricking it at the thought, and asked if I could just take the tablets and if it was worse in the morning, I'd go up to hospital then. Thankfully the swelling didn't get any worse (not sure it could have, my arm was massive as it was!!) and the antibiotics seem to be doing the trick. Massive dose though, two times 500mg tablets 4 times a day :(

Bigger arms you say

Saves having to work out.

It did go down but left the point of my elbow a mess for a while, until it burst. :puked:

It did go down but left the point of my elbow a mess for a while, until it burst. :puked:

Boak!

Did you have to get it drained, or did it burst through the skin? :o

Stuart McNeill

At the minute, I think I'd take that actually [emoji38]

Sounds a nightmare bud.

However, where about do you play handball?

Sounds a nightmare bud.

However, where about do you play handball?

Dundee University. There's a Scottish University league (well, Strathclyde, Glasgow, St Andrews and up until recently Robert Gordon in Aberdeen had a team) and usually a couple of tournaments every year down south that we go to. We're off to the finals down in Gillingham tomorrow actually!

We were down at the qualifying tournament in Nottingham last month where we finished near bottom of the group, so basically qualified for the Intertoto Cup instead of the Champions League, but hoping to smash it this weekend regardless :lol:

It's such a fun sport to play, makes a nice wee change from football all the time :thumbsup:

Stuart McNeill

Dundee University. There's a Scottish University league (well, Strathclyde, Glasgow, St Andrews and up until recently Robert Gordon in Aberdeen had a team) and usually a couple of tournaments every year down south that we go to. We're off to the finals down in Gillingham tomorrow actually!

We were down at the qualifying tournament in Nottingham last month where we finished near bottom of the group, so basically qualified for the Intertoto Cup instead of the Champions League, but hoping to smash it this weekend regardless [emoji38]

It's such a fun sport to play, makes a nice wee change from football all the time [emoji106]

Remember seeing it when I was younger on the Olympics (I think) and wanted to always playing but never really managed to find anywhere that does it.

Good luck to you mate, hope yous win!

Are there any good gyms in Edinburgh that have a lot of good freeweights sections? I've been to the Pure Gym at Ocean Terminal but it literally only seems to have one and it's always taken. Not sure if I just missed them but it doesn't really seem to focus on free weights at all, more a place for treadmills and cycling machines.

Are there any good gyms in Edinburgh that have a lot of good freeweights sections? I've been to the Pure Gym at Ocean Terminal but it literally only seems to have one and it's always taken. Not sure if I just missed them but it doesn't really seem to focus on free weights at all, more a place for treadmills and cycling machines.

The commie has three racks, a bench, squat rack, about 10 benches for free weights and a lifting platform. Can be busy between 4:30 -5:30 but have never really had a problem getting a rack. The best place I have been for weights is the Ratho climbing centre... now if there was something like that in town it would be amazing.

Thinking of starting to take creating along with my protein powder.

What's people routine for creating? Pre or post work out. Or both? How many grams?

Do you also take it on the days you are not training?

Thanks

I've read reviews about people saying don't worry about loading on 20g of creatine for a week when starting off, and just stick to 5g every day with no cycle.

Is this someone that the majority on here would agree with?

Had a terrible last week there. Full of drink and shite food and only got to the gym twice.

Make up for it the next few week.

To load or not to load in the first week of creatine?

Personally, when I eventually get on it I will be just taking the recommendation on the tub which Is 5g. Will have it pre workout along with my protein shake.

Need to sort my diet out. I am buying scales and I am going to weigh, count and track everything that goes into my gub.

Edited by AlimOzturk

I've read reviews about people saying don't worry about loading on 20g of creatine for a week when starting off, and just stick to 5g every day with no cycle.

Is this someone that the majority on here would agree with?

Yes, if you're just starting to use it take the recommended amount. Don't over complicate things :D

I'm now In my last 4 weeks of a 12 week bulk. First time I've done it and seeing some pretty good stats re weight/body fat.

Start of bulk: 12 stone 11 /16% body fat

Now: 13 stone 9 /12% body fat. I expect quite a few of those lbs to be water weight so I'm most likely around 13 stone 6 normally.

Seeing a few visual differences but nothing major expecting to once I start my cut soon :D

Been working out 3/4 times a week, eating around 3500 cals as recommended on Myfitnesspal and always focusing on compound lifts when working out.

Edited by The jj era

Remember seeing it when I was younger on the Olympics (I think) and wanted to always playing but never really managed to find anywhere that does it.

Good luck to you mate, hope yous win!

Smashed it! Topped the group stages, came back from 5-1 down in the semi final to win 7-6 (with 2 men sent off for the last minute) and won the final 11-4!

A Scottish team winning the England Handball tournament was ace! Gutted I didn't bring a Scottish flag down for the photo at the end :lol:

:yas:

I'm now In my last 4 weeks of a 12 week bulk. First time I've done it and seeing some pretty good stats re weight/body fat.

Start of bulk: 12 stone 11 /16% body fat

Now: 13 stone 9 /12% body fat. I expect quite a few of those lbs to be water weight so I'm most likely around 13 stone 6 normally.

Seeing a few visual differences but nothing major expecting to once I start my cut soon :D

Been working out 3/4 times a week, eating around 3500 cals as recommended on Myfitnesspal and always focusing on compound lifts when working out.

That's some awesome progress. Has your strength improved much over that time?

How are you measuring bf% btw? Reason I ask is 12% bf would be around 6-8 weeks out from bodybuilding competition level - visible abs and some separation etc?

Smashed it! Topped the group stages, came back from 5-1 down in the semi final to win 7-6 (with 2 men sent off for the last minute) and won the final 11-4!

A Scottish team winning the England Handball tournament was ace! Gutted I didn't bring a Scottish flag down for the photo at the end :lol:

:yas:

Well done :)

Going to start cutting next week for 6-8 weeks. Unfortunately, I gain fat incredibly easy and my attempts to bulk and build muscle have resulted in my belly growing. Which I cannot stand.

So, next week going to measure and count everything. Prepare all my meals and Cut to about 1800 calories. Going to start HIIT training and continue with what I have been doing with the weights.

Hopefully, I can preserve any muscle I have built these past few months.

Gym today was hardest session in ages, ironically it was also lightest in ages because I was deloading. Absolutely fried. Thinking of adding in a preworkout to get me through the final 4 week push to my competition

So new full body routine starting next week.

10 min cardio warm up.

Goblet squats 3 set at 12 reps.

Dumbell chest press 3 sets at 12 reps.

Fly press 3 sets at 12 reps.

Overhead shoulder press 3 sets 12 reps.

Lateral raise 3 sets at 12 reps.

Bent over rows 3 sets at 12 reps.

Dumbell curls 3 set at 12 reps.

Tricept extention 3 sets at 12 reps.

Weighted push up 3 sets 10 reps

Abdominal crunches.

Monday/Wednesday/Friday.

HIIT training on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

8 weeks.

10 min cardio warm up.

Abdominal crunches.

Monday/Wednesday/Friday.

45% protein, 35% fat, 20% carbs on a 1800 calories diet.

Going to be tough.

8 weeks.

Stuart McNeill

10 min cardio warm up.

Abdominal crunches.

Monday/Wednesday/Friday.

45% protein, 35% fat, 20% carbs on a 1800 calories diet.

Going to be tough.

8 weeks.

What does your diet usually consist of?

What does your diet usually consist of?

Only thing I have kept track on at the moment are amount of calories and protein. Which always fluctuates although I attempt to get 150-200 grams of protein and around about 3000 calories a day.

Lots of chicken, eggs, red meat, potatoes, rice, vegetables, salads. (and Guinness)

I try and stay away from bread and pasta.

Use protein shakes as well and will be starting creatine next week.

Edited by AlimOzturk

Only thing I have kept track on at the moment are amount of calories and protein. Which always fluctuates although I attempt to get 150-200 grams of protein and around about 3000 calories a day.

Lots of chicken, eggs, red meat, potatoes, rice, vegetables, salads. (and Guinness)

I try and stay away from bread and pasta.

Use protein shakes as well and will be starting creatine next week.

Drop the red meat and potatoes from your diet and up your intake of water(Reduce the water intake in the final week). This should bring the cutting in tight.

Drop the red meat and potatoes from your diet and up your intake of water(Reduce the water intake in the final week). This should bring the cutting in tight.

Why drop red meat, is it the sodium intake?

Why drop red meat, is it the sodium intake?

Too much fat, Stick to white meat whilst dieting. Especially fish. Edited by aussieh

Too much fat, Stick to white meat whilst dieting. Especially fish.

Nice one.

Also, whilst doing a full body workout is it better to use Lighter weights, high reps to failure or heavier weight lower reps to failure?

Nice one.

Also, whilst doing a full body workout is it better to use Lighter weights, high reps to failure or heavier weight lower reps to failure?

Suppose I'd go somewhere in between, go too heavy you'll tire yourself out before you finish or go too light and by doing so , failing to stimulate the target muscles. So a nice 10 to 12 rep range with a weight that you hit failure on the working set.(Warm up sets of 2 to 3 sets, with 1 all out working set) To me there's no need for more sets if you do your working set correctly. Add 1 or 2 forced reps or half reps to absolutely destroy the muscles.

Note: Go lighter the lighter you become just to maintain the muscle you have whilst dieting. You should have gained the mass already or you should not be dieting yet.

Nice one.

Alim, take what info you hear and experiment to see what works and doesn't work for you. Everyone is different and volume training didn't really work as well for me as Heavy duty did. And some people look at food and get fat and some can eat all day long. At the end of the day make training enjoyable and intense. Once you get bored it becomes a slog and you lose interest. Edited by aussieh

Just got to telling myself this low calorie diet is only for 8 weeks. Much prefer the bulking to the cutting if I am honest

I'm going to have a wee diet after my comp but I am the same tbh, it is a real grind dropping calories and cutting out the curries and pizzas hahaha

Picked up a bug from my youngest and missed a weeks worth of training as a result :(. Still not 100%

Been a long week, starting to lose the plot haha, feels like it's been a month!