Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Because I haven't ever weight trained before. Fwiw I up to 12kg dumbells.

Ok mate, progress is progress :thumbsup:

I was stuck at 68kg for about a year and literally couldn't seem to put on any more size 'til I started deadlifting. Genuinely cannot recommend it enough to anyone debating whether or not to start. I was always put off by my bad posture and weak back but after about 6 weeks of training I was lifting just shy of double my bodyweight.

Up to about 71kg now in the morning.

Ok mate, progress is progress :thumbsup:

I was stuck at 68kg for about a year and literally couldn't seem to put on any more size 'til I started deadlifting. Genuinely cannot recommend it enough to anyone debating whether or not to start. I was always put off by my bad posture and weak back but after about 6 weeks of training I was lifting just shy of double my bodyweight.

Up to about 71kg now in the morning.

I do stiff legged dead lifts with the dumbells. Was hoping to strengthen up before moving onto dead lifts.

My problem is I struggle to eat enough. Just can't seem to eat more that 2000 calories and even at that I am seriously stuffing Myself.

Edited by AlimOzturk

How often would you recommend deadlifting?  Once a week, or more than that?  What sort of routine would be best?

I'm put off from doing it because I don't know if my form is right for it, and none of the people I go to the gym with do it, but I am definitely missing out with not doing them :(

How often would you recommend deadlifting? Once a week, or more than that? What sort of routine would be best?

I'm put off from doing it because I don't know if my form is right for it, and none of the people I go to the gym with do it, but I am definitely missing out with not doing them :(

Probably once a week due to the fact it literally knocks you sideways. It uses most large muscle groups and if you go heavy you really feel it in your lungs also.

In terms of form, go side on to a mirror if you can and practice without holding the bar. It doesn't really matter how far you squat down to take the weight as you can do straight leg DL , just depends how much you want to hit your hamstrings. As long as your back is straight head and chest up and out, and build up your weight you should be fine.

How often would you recommend deadlifting?  Once a week, or more than that?  What sort of routine would be best?

If you are really pushing then once a week, if you are going light and doing variations (like off blocks or stiff legged) you could do them more though.

Going to take the opportunity to show off by posting a cpl of recent vids :lol:

Good stuff man.

If I ever get near those levels I will be happy.

I am hoping the recent weight gain is related to building some muscle rather than getting fatter.

Because I have been training my wee arse off. And eating relatively well and not touched a drop of alcohol this month.

Edited by AlimOzturk

I am hoping the recent weight gain is related to building some muscle rather than getting fatter.

Because I have been training my wee arse off. And eating relatively well and not touched a drop of alcohol this month.

It will be if you are working hard and eating better/drinking less. More muscle and more glycogen/water stored in them too  :2thumbsup:

That's impressive R686. How long you been at it to get to those levels?

Feel like every time I go to the gym I am a little stronger. Been reading up about Newbie gain and how this is the period where weight lifters see the most benefits from it.

I am getting rather hooked. Quite addictive :laugh:

Edited by AlimOzturk

Feel like every time I go to the gym I am a little stronger. Been reading up about Newbie gain and how this is the period where weight lifters see the most benefits from it.

Started weight lifting at 16 to accompany football cos I was a small skinny kid and wanted to bulk up. Stopped playing football and got hooked to weights. Properly been strength training for maybe 3-4 years now I think and last year was first comps I did. Def addictive, I love it.

Pretty much a lifestyle now I guess. Tbh it's all I do apart from work and spend time with family, don't go out drinking any more, rarely get to the football these days and once in a blue moon meet up with mates outside the gym. Training comes 1st

Feel like every time I go to the gym I am a little stronger. Been reading up about Newbie gain and how this is the period where weight lifters see the most benefits from it

It's a weird one because you def see big benefits to start with but I have also found I can have random periods where I see decent increases as well. Strength seems to come in spurts. Think especially as you get lifting heavier and really pushing yourself it starts to fly again and then slows back down

Alim, invest some money in Arnold Schwarzenegger's encyclopedia of bodybuilding. Its all the knowledge you'll ever need.

Alim, invest some money in Arnold Schwarzenegger's encyclopedia of bodybuilding. Its all the knowledge you'll ever need.

Have you managed to get yourself back into any sort of routine yet bud?

Have you managed to get yourself back into any sort of routine yet bud?

Nope, 20st and counting.

When i do start I'm pretty demented, so I'll come down quick.

Shoulders are nearly healed other than a permanent pain if I military press. Incline dumbbell will have to do. :)

I miss my deads and squats tho'.

When's your competition?

Edited by aussieh

Stuart McNeill

Rs, I'm sure you've probably been asked before but what programme/routine do you follow?

Decided to move from an upper/lower over to a ppl, I feel it will definitely benefit me more.

Nope, 20st and counting.

When i do start I'm pretty demented, so I'll come down quick.

Shoulders are nearly healed other than a permanent pain if I military press. Incline dumbbell will have to do. :)

I miss my deads and squats tho'.

When's your competition?

Got powerlifting comp 23rd April. Scotlands Strongest man u90 is on 29th April. Even at my current level I am going to be hard pushed to be ready for 2nd comp tbh, some of the guys are just ridiculously strong

Rs, I'm sure you've probably been asked before but what programme/routine do you follow?

Decided to move from an upper/lower over to a ppl, I feel it will definitely benefit me more.

I follow PPL. Push day is basically bench plus accessory, pull is deads plus accessory and legs squat plus accessory. At the moment on my bench days I am following Wendler 531. With squat and deads I am just working in the 70% to 90% range of my 1rm and going by feel on the day 1-5 rep range. Usually 3 working sets and rep out on last working set. Accessory work always 10-12 reps.

Gets tough when you add in event training on top so if I am heavy axle pressing for example I just drop the accessory work. Same with leg accessory if I am doing yolk runs etc

Got powerlifting comp 23rd April. Scotlands Strongest man u90 is on 29th April. Even at my current level I am going to be hard pushed to be ready for 2nd comp tbh, some of the guys are just ridiculously strong

Do u think you're in a fair fight?

Benching 16kg dumbells today. 3 SETS of ten but also added in lighter weights, at 3 sets of 6.,

Think I have been under selling myself tb out of worry about Injuring myself. Must admit I am seriously feeling it now though.

Edited by AlimOzturk

Benching 16kg dumbells today. 3 SETS of ten but also added in lighter weights, at 3 sets of 6.,

Think I have been under selling myself tb out of worry about Injuring myself. Must admit I am seriously feeling it now though.

That's good going. No rush but if you are managing them easily no harm adding a bit more weight each session. IMO with 3 sets of 10 the last set should be tough to finish but manageable

I am by no means a fitness expert but something that I notice at the gyy makes me laugh.

Really overweight individuals rolling about the floor doing very odd looking exercises. One guy I saw today was very odd things. Lifting his leg up a down and attempting what looks like Ab crunches. These exercises surely have no benefits :laugh: feel sorry because at least they are there attempting to do something but are clearly failing. There money would be well spent on getting a personal trainer to devise a programme

Edited by AlimOzturk

I am by no means a fitness expert but something that I notice at the gyy makes me laugh.

Really overweight individuals rolling about the floor doing very odd looking exercises. One guy I saw today was very odd things. Lifting his leg up a down and attempting what looks like Ab crunches. These exercises surely have no benefits :laugh: feel sorry because at least they are there attempting to do something but are clearly failing. There money would be well spent on getting a personal trainer to devise a programme

100%. Seems to be a misconception for a lot of people that by doing things like ab crunches they will trim the belly and help develop a six pack. I'll admit I even used to think like this. Reality is everyone has abs and if there is a 4 inch layer of fat over them you ain't ever seeing them. Fair play to the guy for at least getting out the house and trying to do something though:)

Going to go for a 5-10k run tonight. See how I get on bee avoiding long distance running due to the new training regime. See how I get on.

If you don't want to do lifts etc and just use the weight machines can you still bulk out?

Yes. Not as easy without doing heavy compound lifts IMO but it is still doable. I know 2 guys who don't deadlift or back squat due to back injuries/issues - both have massive backs though.

Edited by RS86

So, still bashing on at the gym. Couple of questions.

I try to get around 150-70 grams of protein per day. Already using whey protein and wondering if this is enough?

Supplements. As above using whey protein but should I be using other supps as well? Have read varying opinions regarding creating and things.

Is it OK to work one muscle group more than once a week provided I feel fine and it has had sufficient rest?

Cheers.

So, still bashing on at the gym. Couple of questions.

I try to get around 150-70 grams of protein per day. Already using whey protein and wondering if this is enough?

Supplements. As above using whey protein but should I be using other supps as well? Have read varying opinions regarding creating and things.

Is it OK to work one muscle group more than once a week provided I feel fine and it has had sufficient rest?

Cheers.

I aim for around the same tbh and 200gish on training days.

Other supplements I'd suggest are things like fish oils if you don't get enough good fats in your diet, multivits if you don't get a lot of fruit and veg in. Also rate cissus and glucosamine for joint health but only use them when I'm feeling banged up. Creatine I used to like but gives me a funky stomach these days.

Yeah if you feel recovered you can easily train a muscle group more than once a week, a lot of people do tbh.

Due a rest this week so some light weights and cardio. Been neglecting the cardio side of things so I am dreading it hahaha

Been at it hard.

Shoulder press today max 44kg. 3 sets at of 10 at 32kg. Was quite chuffed. Might Not be impressive to yourself but getting stronger all the time here.

I always warm up with cardio for 10 mins, then do 25-30 mins at the end of my weight session.

Considering going to a full body workout not sure though.

Been at it hard.

Shoulder press today max 44kg. 3 sets at of 10 at 32kg. Was quite chuffed. Might Not be impressive to yourself but getting stronger all the time here.

I always warm up with cardio for 10 mins, then do 25-30 mins at the end of my weight session.

Considering going to a full body workout not sure though.

That's good going. As long as you are still progressing :). Can you notice must change yet in yourself?

Might be good to switch it up if your fancying doing full body, always good to mix things up to find what works best for you

That's good going. As long as you are still progressing :). Can you notice must change yet in yourself?

Might be good to switch it up if your fancying doing full body, always good to mix things up to find what works best for you

Definitely notice change in my chest and my arms. Moobs have shrunk and look significantly better.

Cardio has taken a dive due to less long distance running but I expected that.

Someone suggested this (below) as a good workout routine, Monday/Wednesday/Friday, to try and gain mass primarily. Does it look okay? It's sort of 5x5 mixed with some other isolation work?

Abdominal machine 4 sets of 20.

Bench Press 5 x 5.

Overhead Barbell Press 5 x 5.

Barbell Row 5 x 5.

Deadlift 5 x 5.

EZ Bar (Skullcrushers) 4 sets of 12.

Tricep Down Cable Machine 4 sets of 12.

Bicep Up Cable Machine 4 sets of 12.

Chest Press Machine 4 sets of 12.

Any advice would be great!

Someone suggested this (below) as a good workout routine, Monday/Wednesday/Friday, to try and gain mass primarily. Does it look okay? It's sort of 5x5 mixed with some other isolation work?

Abdominal machine 4 sets of 20.

Bench Press 5 x 5.

Overhead Barbell Press 5 x 5.

Barbell Row 5 x 5.

Deadlift 5 x 5.

EZ Bar (Skullcrushers) 4 sets of 12.

Tricep Down Cable Machine 4 sets of 12.

Bicep Up Cable Machine 4 sets of 12.

Chest Press Machine 4 sets of 12.

Any advice would be great!

Looks decent enough. Needs some leg exercises though

Looks decent enough. Needs some leg exercises though

Probably better doing 5x5 of the big lifts for 6weeks, then start adding isolation movements. Edited by aussieh

Probably better doing 5x5 of the big lifts for 6weeks, then start adding isolation movements.

That's a good suggestion.

Spreading the bigger lifts out where they get a day each is def a better idea from the point of view that be more capacity to work harder on them. Couldn't imagine doing 5x5 chest same day as 5x5 OHP and 5x5 deadlifts personally for example, but if done the way he posted he could still manage that at a lighter weight. Muscle endurance from all that volume would be mental

Stuart McNeill

Doing those compound movements together and then adding squats in there as well would be very difficult for the body.

Just curious, I haven't followed it myself but when doing 531, is there much benefit doing only 3 reps and 1 rep for a set?

Or am I misunderstanding it?

Doing those compound movements together and then adding squats in there as well would be very difficult for the body.

Just curious, I haven't followed it myself but when doing 531, is there much benefit doing only 3 reps and 1 rep for a set?

Depends what your training to achieve. Strength, muscle mass or endurance. Switch it up, every 6 weeks or so, do a week or 2 of heavy low rep or lighter high rep.

Sunday legs

Tuesday chest and triceps

Wed Back(width) and biceps

Friday Shoulders and traps

Saturday watch the Jam Tarts.

Edited by aussieh

I am doing Wendler 531 on all my lifts now. Basically its all about the top sets and the AMRAPs, so week 1 you'd do 3 sets of 5 but top set you'd ideally want to push for 6-8 reps, week 2 3 sets of 3 but again hit maybe 4-6 reps on the top set and final week you'd hit set of 5, set of 3 and then ideally you'd get 2-3 reps on top set.

Yesterday for example my deadlift workout was this

170kg x 5

195kg x 5

220kg x 5+. Because it was AMRAP I got 6

That's a good suggestion.

Spreading the bigger lifts out where they get a day each is def a better idea from the point of view that be more capacity to work harder on them. Couldn't imagine doing 5x5 chest same day as 5x5 OHP and 5x5 deadlifts personally for example, but if done the way he posted he could still manage that at a lighter weight. Muscle endurance from all that volume would be mental

Probably better doing 5x5 of the big lifts for 6weeks, then start adding isolation movements.

Thanks both! Would it be good for arm mass particularly? I've effectively nothing there.

Thanks both! Would it be good for arm mass particularly? I've effectively nothing there.

Its all about finding what works for you tbh, best approach is to mix it up and see what you respond well to.

My arms are as big as they have ever been and I do very little direct arm training these days tbh. They get a lot of indirect work from back training like heavy rows and my tris get battered from OHP and heavy benching. Currently 16" arms at 5' 8 and 90kg. I used to do loads of sets on bis and tris and they never grew any quicker.

First time looking at this thread and it seems like a lot of you are well into your fitness.

For the first time in years, I went to the gym on Monday. Followed it up by a fairly long walk on Tuesday. Gym again Wednesday. Yesterday, I thought I'd stretch myself a bit and walked from my house in East Calder to my parents house at the Gyle. I'm in a world of hurt today.

Probably won't revisit this thread much as I doubt I'll be able to keep fitness levels up, but thought I'd share. Stick in everyone, you're doing a much better job than me!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

6 Mile run today however I don't know how I am feeling regarding the long distance running.

Think it is hampering my weight training. I am getting stronger but I am thinking of ditching cardio on non weight training day and maybe doing just two days of running. Try and eat more than I am doing.

Just feel If I completely give up cardio then I am sacrificing an important part to overall good health. However any forum or advice I have read says long distance running stops muscle growth.

6 Mile run today however I don't know how I am feeling regarding the long distance running.

Think it is hampering my weight training. I am getting stronger but I am thinking of ditching cardio on non weight training day and maybe doing just two days of running. Try and eat more than I am doing.

Just feel If I completely give up cardio then I am sacrificing an important part to overall good health. However any forum or advice I have read says long distance running stops muscle growth.

just look at the body structure of long distance runners and sprinters for the evidence. The less running the better for size, but you need fitness to be able to cope with a heavy duty weight training r?gime.

Stick to HIIT for fitness and a once a week middle distance run(10k) for endurance. I on the other hand will have to do the opposite as I'm a fat barsteward at the moment.

just look at the body structure of long distance runners and sprinters for the evidence. The less running the better for size, but you need fitness to be able to cope with a heavy duty weight training r?gime.

Stick to HIIT for fitness and a once a week distance(10k)run for endurance. I on the other hand will have to do the opposite as I'm a fat barsteward at the moment.

Stuart McNeill

First time looking at this thread and it seems like a lot of you are well into your fitness.

For the first time in years, I went to the gym on Monday. Followed it up by a fairly long walk on Tuesday. Gym again Wednesday. Yesterday, I thought I'd stretch myself a bit and walked from my house in East Calder to my parents house at the Gyle. I'm in a world of hurt today.

Probably won't revisit this thread much as I doubt I'll be able to keep fitness levels up, but thought I'd share. Stick in everyone, you're doing a much better job than me!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Stick with it. You may hate it at first. Once you see progress you will slowly start to love it.

The soreness will always be there if you start and stop.

Over the next 10 weeks I was hoping to start running like yourself but Im thinking maybe just doing HIIT training instead.

I hate both tbh..