Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I love omelettes.

But I have 8 eggs in the morning.

So probably best I don't consume any more throughout the day. :(

The People's Chimp

Sweet potato and spinach frittata.

You'll need a large frying pan.

Diced or slice as thinly as possible your sweet potato, then dice a red onion. Fry them off in olive oil and while they're softening, put your eggs into bowl and whip them up. I've made this with 6-8 eggs. Obviously if you're bulking you can go wild with the eggs. Add some Paprika (smoked preferably) according to your preference. Once you've whipped your eggs together, chop a few chillies and some garlic, volume according to preference. Throw in the chilli and then let it continue to soften. At this point throw in a bag of chopped baby spinach and then stir it through, once it wilts, (you'll see what I mean) toss through the garlic, let it heat just enough and then add your eggs. I like to break up the egg mixture and create gaps in the pan, for more mixture to run into, not quite stirring but thickening the whole thing up. Let it cook through and then keeping it the pan, put under a hot grill to finish it off, with cheese if you want.

You can use the same idea with chorizo, various hams etc. It works well for making a huge Frittata which will feed a few people for dinner with salad/veg, or for one, and will do a few meals. I sometimes serve it with a salad of chickpeas with chillies and onion in a light homemade vinaigrette and some mixed leaves. Decent. You could swap the red onion for spring onions for a bit of a fresher taste and a bit of an energy boost.

I find putting in the oats first pretty much negates the need for that. Shame about the PB, though.Have you considered buying fattier cuts of meat? Switching chicken breast for leg, 5% fat mince for 15%, etc adds a lot of calories without it even being noticeable. Cheaper too.

Going to try putting the oats in first tonight, make a little shake for tomorrow. Hadn't thought about that so will look for fattier mince, can't be bad it being cheaper too!

Snake Plissken

I'm on the seventh day of my cutting regime and it's been pretty good.

I never paid a huge amount of attention to my nutrition but now that I'm really watching what I eat, it's becoming an obsession. I've found myself fact-checking just about everything I'm about to eat. I've taken to snacking on raw peppers and carrots and adding raw spinach and broccoli to the sides of meals. White rice/pasta/flour is out of the picture and I'm trying to limit the sugar intake as much as possible.

My goal is to trim the fat I gained during a mass-gaining routine, I don't want to lose much weight and I want to keep the muscle I worked hard to gain. If those of you who are pretty clued up on nutrition have any more suggestions to what I could be eating/avoiding I'm happy to read it.

Creepy Lurker

Are you watching calories etc? If so, there's no need to cut anything out completely or to eat any specific item. When I last cut I was eating pizza and ice cream regularly.

Creepy Lurker

I have to say I've followed the creepy lurkers advice. That sounds wrong when I say that!!!

However, I have fundamentally just started upping my calorie intake I generally eat pretty health anyway bit when I can't face eating. I just go and eat something I find easy to eat ice cream, Reece's chocolate bars which Ive convinced myself are pretty healthy anyway. It makes it much easier to do eat something you like as opposed to trying to stuff tasteless crap down your throat. Even after a week I'm noticing a difference 3kg gain in a week. Also strangely it's not to the detriment to the little fat I carry. Though I'm on cyclone on at moment so some maybe water retention but I don't see it if I'm honest.

As long as you don't crazy I really think just up your calories intake.

Don't over complicate it I guess would be my advice.

Though waking up in middle night hungry is a pain in arse!!! Anyway got any recommendations for food to eat before going to bed to stop this!!!!

I've tried drinking caesian (sp) protien in past and can't stomach it like mixed concrete and would rather do with food as opposed to supplements.

Yeah, it's about using a bit of common sense basically. I'm not for a minute suggesting that anyone base their diet on stuff like that - diets should always be based upon whole and minimally processed foods - just that it makes literally no difference in terms of body composition to fit in a few things which conventional bodybuilding logic would label 'dirty'. There's really no need to make yourself miserable with food avoidance, especially when bulking.

In fact, in terms of body composition alone you could compose a diet of 100% junk food (let's say whey protein, pop tarts and ice cream) and it'd have no direct impact on body composition. Clearly that'd be stupid because it'd be to the detriment of actually being healthy, but the idea of discretionary calorie allowance has been around for years and is correct.

Since I started to be more flexible diet wise, I actually probably eat less junk food anyway because there's no need to have cheat meals or cheat days.

The People's Chimp

Jealous of all you feckers that can't gain weight!

I have the opposite problem!

This.

I really need to cut the drink - it's not hugely excessive but I do enjoy it at the weekend.

Another thing that really frustrates me is when I find that life starts getting in the way of training. There'll be 2/3 weeks which go great then say on monday a work meeting runs on, the next night I'll have a social event, the next night there's a hearts game etc. It really gets to me as a week off seems like a huge setback.

As an example, various things have been on which mean I haven't been to the gym since friday, but on the plus side I've played a game of 11s, a game of 5s and have 5s again tonight. But I feel it's still a set back in my training.

Any suggestions for a short programme or something I can do at home when the inevitable disruption occurs?

Generic Username

Chimp you live about 8 seconds away from the PureGym in Glasgow! Just spend less time with your missus and more time at the gym. She'll understand when you're a big knotted ball of muscle with no neck.

Guest GhostHunter

I hit the wall this morning.

Like clockwork - every 6 weeks and lasts for a couple of days - bugger me it was a struggle this morning. Doesnt help when the music in PureGlasgow is rank just now.

I hit the wall this morning.

Like clockwork - every 6 weeks and lasts for a couple of days - bugger me it was a struggle this morning. Doesnt help when the music in PureGlasgow is rank just now.

How often you going? Every day?

A wee week of taking it easy could recharge the batteries.

Guest GhostHunter

How often you going? Every day?

A wee week of taking it easy could recharge the batteries.

M-Fri...probably could do with a week off, but my guilt complex kicks in :D

This.

I really need to cut the drink - it's not hugely excessive but I do enjoy it at the weekend.

Another thing that really frustrates me is when I find that life starts getting in the way of training. There'll be 2/3 weeks which go great then say on monday a work meeting runs on, the next night I'll have a social event, the next night there's a hearts game etc. It really gets to me as a week off seems like a huge setback.

As an example, various things have been on which mean I haven't been to the gym since friday, but on the plus side I've played a game of 11s, a game of 5s and have 5s again tonight. But I feel it's still a set back in my training.

Any suggestions for a short programme or something I can do at home when the inevitable disruption occurs?

I know the feeling. I'm exactly the same with both points.

On the diet front my chocolate addiction was killing me. I was eating 3 chocolate bars in a typical day. I've given up chocolate entirely since January and that has helped big style. I still snack on crisps and biscuits but it tends to be to take the edge off my hunger rather than gorging like I did with chocolate, so it's definitely an improvement!

On the training front it's exactly the same.

I did well on Oct and Nov, then party season and virus season hit all at once and before I knew it I'd had almost a month off.

Was doing brilliantly in January and starting to see the results then I went over on my fecking ankle!

At the moment I'm just trying to lay off the snacks and eat fruit between meals until I can get back in the pool.

Aim to do a few weeks just swimming and ankle rehab until it can hold up in the gym then get back onto the weights and rower!

Going to miss my games of 5's for at least 2-3 months! :(

Generic Username

I got Cher Lloyd at least 4 times last night. The only reason I'm going to the gym is to get big enough to panel the dafty in charge of the tunes.

Had some guy in the gym come up to me and comment on the amount of weight I've lost the other day.

Random but much-welcome bit of motivation to keep going.

Edited by Sierra Delta

Creepy Lurker

I'm a big fan of home cardio workouts, although that might not be appropriate if what you're wanting to replace is a lifting programme.

You can get a gymboss interval timer on Amazon and then use that to do timed workouts, for instance tabata style (20 seconds on, 10 off, 8 times through) with four exercises back to back (I like to use burpees, Hindu squats, press-ups and burpees again to finish) or by doing rounds, for instance three five minute rounds consisting of ten sets of thirty seconds of different bodyweight exercises with a minute's rest between rounds (I use burpees, push ups, squat thrusts, burps, jumping jacks, burpees, shadow boxing, mountain climbers, star jumps and Hindu squats). There are loads of other ways to do bodyweight cardio at home, including ones that don't use the timer, but I find the timer helps. After I've finished one of those workouts I'll go for a 20-25 minute jog if it's a decent time, but the good thing is you can do them at pretty much any time of day or night and skip the jog if you don't have time. The two workouts I noted down there last 16 and 17 minutes respectively, so they kick your arse cardio wise without being time consuming. I've done stuff like this in hotel rooms before when I've been on the go and still wanted to get a workout in.

Other ways you could work out at home would be to use resistance bands and an abs wheel. Both are pretty cheap and are good pieces of kit to have.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

I got Cher Lloyd at least 4 times last night. The only reason I'm going to the gym is to get big enough to panel the dafty in charge of the tunes.

I can't hit the gym without my headphones. Most of the gym music/music channels are on a Capital FM-esque loop. Either that or there's people chatting away, which to me is a distraction.

What's everyone's choice of gym tune? Not everyone needs music to focus but personally I can't train without it.

I find hip hop does it for me and that's something I rarely listen to outside of the gym.

Agreed about music though, without it there is no point in me even going.

Went for a fast paced run tonight. 2 miles in 13:16 which was pretty rapid in the pissing rain.

Back on the weights tomorrow. Deadlifts 5x5 around 110kg for the first set then increase until maxed. Rowing after that.

I was tempted to head to the outdoor 400m running track at Meadowbank to do interval sprints towards the summer.

Then I saw its over ?4 a go.

Ideally i do HIIT 3 days a week when cutting. So you're talking ?40 a month minimum.

**** that. Pure Gym treadmill it is. :(

Pretty much hip hop for me. I guess the beats suit. The aggresive nature of some of the stuff I listen to as well kind of gives you that push sometimes if that makes sense.

Occasionally house music but doesn't work as well. I always plug I'm at gym deteste the music they play and plugging in helps me zone out and stops me getting annoyed at people who think the ******* gym is a knitting circle!!!

Kind of set up play lists to suit the regime if make sense. As the intensity of excercise increase so does the music if makes sense. Always something a bit lighter for warm down.

Likewise. I'm not a massive hip-hop/rap fan outside of the gym but i find the beat and the aggresive delivery of the lyrics helps for weights sessions. Get the iPod on maximum volume and block everything else out.

That said, my gym music can be quite a broad spectrum. One day it'll be some trance, the next it might be rap, and another it'll be some rock or metal. Often just depends how i'm feeling or what kind of session i'm up for.

Incidentally, there are studies which show that the choice of music can affect your exercise performance. The theory (and some subsequent findings) are that you perform better to music which you like and which is selected by you. For me that explains why I - and others - need to have our headphones for a workout to feel properly "in the zone".

I was tempted to head to the outdoor 400m running track at Meadowbank to do interval sprints towards the summer.

Ideally i do HIIT 3 days a week when cutting. So you're talking ?40 a month minimum.

Save yourself a whack Sten - invest in a skipping rope!

Cracking for cardio and all you need is a bit of space. Can be done on an interval basis too.

HIIT is something I've never really gave a good go before, what is the sort of time you'd be looking at doing per workout? Half an hour or something?

Also would you get away with skipping if you had dodgy knees? Obviously there is impact but you're usually light on your feet? My knees are a ******* disaster and as a result my cardio is pretty much limited to cycling at the moment. Wouldn't mind a bit of skipping.

HIIT is something I've never really gave a good go before, what is the sort of time you'd be looking at doing per workout? Half an hour or something?

Also would you get away with skipping if you had dodgy knees? Obviously there is impact but you're usually light on your feet? My knees are a ******* disaster and as a result my cardio is pretty much limited to cycling at the moment. Wouldn't mind a bit of skipping.

I personally don't do HIIT any longer than 30 mins per session and personally i'd top it at 3 per week - all depends on your goals. 30 mins per session is the top end of the scale for me. If i'm doing a 30 min session i'd do that independent of a weights session. It depends on your rest to work ratio (the length of each sprint to the length of recovery). HIIT isn't the only method for fat burning but it is greatly effective for the short amount of time it can take to do - my usual is about 15-20 mins.

I've got one dodgy knee and havn't found skipping to be too harsh on it. That's my own personal experience but it depends on the extent of your knee issues. Skipping is a repetitive impact so it might be harmful if done too often. I'm not an expert on that but to date I've had no issues from skipping.

Save yourself a whack Sten - invest in a skipping rope!

Cracking for cardio and all you need is a bit of space. Can be done on an interval basis too.

Double unders will seriously drain you! Always have a couple of sessions a week with skipping in them. Good warm up as well.

That's a great point regarding a skipping rope. Finding space in Pure OT is near impossible tho!

Last summer I was doing just 10 minutes. (3 times a week)

30 seconds on

30 seconds off

Full speed (20km/h) and incline +1

I increased incline if I was finding it easy.

Got a right hankering to get blasting some 100m sprints outside. But no chance I'm throwing that sort of cash at it.

That's a great point regarding a skipping rope. Finding space in Pure OT is near impossible tho!

Last summer I was doing just 10 minutes. (3 times a week)

30 seconds on

30 seconds off

Full speed (20km/h) and incline +1

I increased incline if I was finding it easy.

Got a right hankering to get blasting some 100m sprints outside. But no chance I'm throwing that sort of cash at it.

It's a nightmare when places like Edinburgh Leisure are charging that kind of money. I understand they need to profit to provide their services and keep upgrading their facilities - which are all of decent standard.

Bit annoying when you'll pay 4 quid to run on the track yet you can go over the road and spend the same on a meal at McDonalds. It's cheaper to be unhealthy than healthy in some instances in the UK these days.

It's a nightmare when places like Edinburgh Leisure are charging that kind of money. I understand they need to profit to provide their services and keep upgrading their facilities - which are all of decent standard.

Bit annoying when you'll pay 4 quid to run on the track yet you can go over the road and spend the same on a meal at McDonalds. It's cheaper to be unhealthy than healthy in some instances in the UK these days.

So true.

Pure gym is working out at less than ?1 a session.

Edin Leisure is far too expensive.

Sten if you have any local fitbaw pitches you could use the lines for sprints. Sprint from goal line to goal line, box to box, one side of the pitch to the other etc.

The People's Chimp

^Been tempted to try that myself. Have never been arsed though! Haven't been doing my HIIT rowing for a while and feel that's possibly the missing piece for me, so that's the next thing. Music wise, check out the new boys noize album.

@Creepy - that looks a good programme, I'll look into that, cheers.

Edited by The People's Chimp

Sten if you have any local fitbaw pitches you could use the lines for sprints. Sprint from goal line to goal line, box to box, one side of the pitch to the other etc.

Good idea. Probably best option if I wanna go outdoors. I would look a right prick tho. :lol:

Just had this desire to run on a real track.

Bit sad I know :facepalm:

Snake Plissken

Are you watching calories etc? If so, there's no need to cut anything out completely or to eat any specific item. When I last cut I was eating pizza and ice cream regularly.

I am, I just never dared hope it would be as simple as that :lol:

I'm basically trying to eat all the right things throughout the week and then allow myself an off day on Sunday where I can eat the sorts of things I've been off all week. I know eating vegetables will never be a bad thing and it was something I'd always lacked in my diet before so if nothing else, I've gotten into the habit of eating several portions of raw vegetables a day.

I'm doing my first decent cardio session since October, at Dongbaek Park:

Dongbaek%20Park.jpg

:jjyay:

It's about a mile from where I live and the path around is about 5/600m, plan is to run there and do some HIIT around the path.

Guest GhostHunter

Wall scaled for another 6 weeks :D

Also, I'm maybe just imagining this - however, I drank one of those large cans of red bull this morning before starting, and by the time I'd finished the session, the pump was way more than I've had before - I read somewhere that Taurine can cause this ?

Creepy Lurker

Can't do proper sprints on the treadmills in Pure Gorgie as it's set to switch off if you don't step on it for a certain length of time. I do my sprints at 10% incline, usually starting around 16km/h and moving up to 20.8km/h over the course of the session (sounds like a weird number to end on, but it's because I think in mph. 20.8 = 13.0, while 16.0 = 10.0), but because I do my rest periods by heart rate by the end of my session it starts switching off before I can jump back on. Or worse, just as I'm jumping back on.

Would also say skipping's great cardio, but you do need a bit of space for it. Just about smashed my mum's TV trying to do it in her living room when I was back home and she wasn't best pleased. :laugh: Have you considered hill sprints? This is another place where I think a Gymboss interval timer's really useful.

Back to the music thing, my 'workout' playlists are literally about 80% angry hip hop, 20% songs from the Rocky films.

Creepy Lurker

I am, I just never dared hope it would be as simple as that :lol:

I'm basically trying to eat all the right things throughout the week and then allow myself an off day on Sunday where I can eat the sorts of things I've been off all week. I know eating vegetables will never be a bad thing and it was something I'd always lacked in my diet before so if nothing else, I've gotten into the habit of eating several portions of raw vegetables a day.

I'm doing my first decent cardio session since October, at Dongbaek Park:

Dongbaek%20Park.jpg

:jjyay:

It's about a mile from where I live and the path around is about 5/600m, plan is to run there and do some HIIT around the path.

Sorry, just saw this. Didn't realise there was a new page.

Off days work well for some people, but for me they really don't work as I end up bingeing like **** on all the stuff I haven't been allowing myself. In terms of body composition a calorie is a calorie - there was a study recently where an American professor lost weight and improved body composition eating nothing but protein supplements and Twinkies, IIRC - but obviously in terms of satiety, performance and most importantly overall health it's best to compose the majority of your diet of whole, minimally processed foods regardless of whether you're bulking, cutting or maintaining. Basically, once you've met your micronutrient (vitamins, minerals, etc) needs and have consumed enough fibre, you're pretty much left with discretionary calories (providing you consume enough protein and fat). Obviously you have more discretionary calories if you're taking in more overall calories.

Alan Aragon explains it pretty well here:

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

(one thing which may have become apparent recently is that I have some serious man love going on for Alan Aragon :laugh: )

Can't do proper sprints on the treadmills in Pure Gorgie as it's set to switch off if you don't step on it for a certain length of time.

Move the speed down 0.1 and up 0.1 again and it stops that happening.

Same for incline.

Playing about with any button while ur not on it, stops it from shutting down.

Do some hill sprints instead. It's free and is a killer.

The rowing machine is also great for interval training.

There is a programme on the ones in the gym where you for 500 metres, rest for a minute, row for 500 and so on.

Is that any good?

The People's Chimp

There is a programme on the ones in the gym where you for 500 metres, rest for a minute, row for 500 and so on.

Is that any good?

The concept 2 rowers allow you to set up any kind of interval you want. I like either 30 on 30 rest or 1 minute 10 secs on 40 secs rest. Decent.

Creepy Lurker

Move the speed down 0.1 and up 0.1 again and it stops that happening.

Same for incline.

Playing about with any button while ur not on it, stops it from shutting down.

Why the **** did I not think of this? :laugh: