Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

350 calories today.

Didn't have as much time today but happy enough with what I did.30 mins on the Treadmill.

I'm off tomorrow so I'll go for longer.

Try and have a bash on the bike after the treadmill.

I think they say the first 20mins of cardio is aerobic, and after that you start burning fat properly.

So everything over 20mins is best part of your workout.

To burn fat is it not meant to be in a certain heartbeat level, say 50%-60% and above 75% is cardio? I walk 6-8 miles a day every mon-sat and feel I'm fitter and loosing weight but when I play fives, I still struggle. Do I need to maybe go for a run twice a week or something?

Cheers for all the replys.

The problem I have is time.I do different shifts everyweek and sometimes I'm struggling to go for even 20 mins.Not just due to shifts but babysitting etc as well.

Konrad von Carstein

Devastated!!

After two weeks hard graft at the gym I find I have PUT ON 1 KILO and my wee potbelly does not seem to be getting any smaller.

Fkcn really annoyed and disheartened. :verymad:

Back on the horse after the weekend though.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Devastated!!

After two weeks hard graft at the gym I find I have PUT ON 1 KILO and my wee potbelly does not seem to be getting any smaller.

Fkcn really annoyed and disheartened. :verymad:

Back on the horse after the weekend though.

I took advice from here a few weeks back to do plenty of cardio work mixed in with plenty of weights. It's already had a good effect on my beer belly although I've sorted out my diet too.

Was going to start on monday but got the T5s through yesterday so thought I would start from today instead.

2 hour session early this afternoon - did back, shoulders and triceps.

2 different exercises for each - 6 sets for each going down 15, 12, 10, 8, 6, 6

Invested in some PHD whey protein (low carb stuff) and will be using that to prevent my muscles from destroying themselves.

Diet plan is sorted and kicks in on Monday (once I have cleared out the fridge, freezer and cupboards).

Cardio and legs session tomorrow. Going to talk to the gym about getting the boxing room open as that will make cardio a bit more interesting than sitting on a bike/running on a treadmill.

2 good mates coming along every step of the way (both vastly more experienced gym goers) so have to remember not to compete with them and to stick within my own abilities.

Very excited about this as you can probably tell.

Creepy Lurker

It's really not worth doing a two hour session. Your testosterone levels start to dip after around 45 minutes to one hour, so you're better off with a shorter, more intense workout. If you go above an hour, gains will be sub-optimal and you'll actually risk injury.

It's really not worth doing a two hour session. Your testosterone levels start to dip after around 45 minutes to one hour, so you're better off with a shorter, more intense workout. If you go above an hour, gains will be sub-optimal and you'll actually risk injury.

Today was all about getting everything that is on the weights plan done and working on a good technique etc.

Have no fear - normal sessions will be 45mins.

:thumbsup:

Creepy Lurker

Fair enough; in that case, you were probably wise to spend longer focussing on getting the technique right. You're also spot on about staying within your ability and not trying to impress anyone: one of my biggest gym pet hates is seeing guys lifting a weight that's obviously far too heavy for them with crap form.

Good luck with the plan anyway: seems like you're really motivated, which is good.

I actually intentionally didn't go to the gym this week, as I've just finished a six week cycle and usually try to have a rest week around that stage. Starting another six week cycle on Thursday, aiming to get my bodyfat as far below 10% as possible (think I'm around 11% at the moment).

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Reading through the thread a lot of you guys seem to be using heart rate monitors.

Any recommendations or are they all much the same? Seems a wide range of prices ?20 out of Tesco up to ?hundreds out of a lot of other places. Just seems an awful big price range.

Fair enough; in that case, you were probably wise to spend longer focussing on getting the technique right. You're also spot on about staying within your ability and not trying to impress anyone: one of my biggest gym pet hates is seeing guys lifting a weight that's obviously far too heavy for them with crap form.

Good luck with the plan anyway: seems like you're really motivated, which is good.

I actually intentionally didn't go to the gym this week, as I've just finished a six week cycle and usually try to have a rest week around that stage. Starting another six week cycle on Thursday, aiming to get my bodyfat as far below 10% as possible (think I'm around 11% at the moment).

We spotted for a guy today who was benching 100kg - after one rep he was arching his back and putting the weight through his shoulders - I actually thought he was going to pass out!

That is second only to the bufty boys who do a set of 10 reps and then go and tense in the mirrors for a bit.

That is second only to the bufty boys who do a set of 10 reps and then go and tense in the mirrors for a bit.

Spotted one of these in Queensferry High gym on Friday :lol:

Just about fell off the treadmill laughing at him.

Edited by Grumpy

Was at the gym yesterday again.350 calories just on the treadmill again but was really struggling.My legs felt really heavy.

Not going this weekend but back to it Monday :thumbsup:

Got myself a bike through cycletowork scheme on Friday. Went for a quick cycle around on Saturday afternoon, 5 miles it turned out, yes I know that is nothing on a bike but it's a start. First time I've cycled in about 10 years and exercised in about 2 years! Hopefully it gets easier the more I do it! Mapmyride.com looks a great website for tracking where you go and what distance you travel. If you do running, there is mapmyrun too

Got myself a bike through cycletowork scheme on Friday. Went for a quick cycle around on Saturday afternoon, 5 miles it turned out, yes I know that is nothing on a bike but it's a start. First time I've cycled in about 10 years and exercised in about 2 years! Hopefully it gets easier the more I do it! Mapmyride.com looks a great website for tracking where you go and what distance you travel. If you do running, there is mapmyrun too

Yeah, I use mapmyrun.com it's great for tracking your progress. I also use walkit.com which tells you the quickest way to walk from A to B and how long it will take you to walk. I try and walk everywhere instead of getting the bus and find it has a really positive impact on my fitness level.

You don't want it to get easier though.Defeats the purpose!

Creepy Lurker

Back at muay Thai tomorrow, raring to go after the week off. I know for a fact that I won't be feeling so enthusiastic about ten minutes in, though. :lol:

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Back at muay Thai tomorrow, raring to go after the week off. I know for a fact that I won't be feeling so enthusiastic about ten minutes in, though. :lol:

I did that while I lived in Sheffield 10 years ago. Can't say I was technically gifted at Muay Thai itself but I've never been fitter than I was then

Creepy Lurker

I did that while I lived in Sheffield 10 years ago. Can't say I was technically gifted at Muay Thai itself but I've never been fitter than I was then

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it. Only started it a few weeks ago, but it's a good workout and probably one of the most effective martial arts.

Having said that, what we did today was almost entirely technique. The workout at the start was very short and not that difficult. It was good in a way, as it gave me the chance to brush up on defensive work in particular, but I did leave a bit disappointed at not being that tired. Hopefully it'll be better tomorrow, after which I'll be back at the gym on Thursday.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Drunkn_Munky_Nat

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it. Only started it a few weeks ago, but it's a good workout and probably one of the most effective martial arts.

Having said that, what we did today was almost entirely technique. The workout at the start was very short and not that difficult. It was good in a way, as it gave me the chance to brush up on defensive work in particular, but I did leave a bit disappointed at not being that tired. Hopefully it'll be better tomorrow, after which I'll be back at the gym on Thursday.

Where do you go about? I used to do it at meadowbank (John Craig's classes) about 10 years ago and loved it, was really fit and enjoyed it but left as my mate I used to go with joined the army. Always been tempted to go back again but work nightshifts so can't do the classes at meadowbank anymore.

Creepy Lurker

Where do you go about? I used to do it at meadowbank (John Craig's classes) about 10 years ago and loved it, was really fit and enjoyed it but left as my mate I used to go with joined the army. Always been tempted to go back again but work nightshifts so can't do the classes at meadowbank anymore.

I'm doing it at Stirling Uni, so probably not much use to you I'm afraid. It is open to non-students, but doubt you'd want to travel 30 miles for it...

Snake Plissken

Split up with my slag of an ex, so will at the gym lots, ******* pumping it.

What's everyones one rep max on the bench press?

Jailbait benches 500kg with tears streaming down his face.

*grunt*

I'll show her

*grunt*

that bitch

*grunt*

grandick7.jpg

slaaaaaaaaaaaaag

That'll show her, bro.

Jailbait benches 500kg with tears streaming down his face.

*grunt*

I'll show her

*grunt*

that bitch

*grunt*

grandick7.jpg

slaaaaaaaaaaaaag

That'll show her, bro.

Good impression. I ******* hate slags, nothing better than a good gym session to calm the anger :thumbsup:

Snake Plissken

Good impression. I ******* hate slags, nothing better than a good gym session to calm the anger :thumbsup:

Good lad.

I was benching this lunchtime, five sets with slow and strict form followed by three sets of flyes at a moderate weight but more reps and finishing with cable crunches. My time is always restricted at lunch but I usually get a good workout in as I have no time to rest.

The current goal I'm working towards is three sets of ten at my bodyweight and I'm still a bit off. Hopefully by the turn of the year I'll be able to do it.

I've taken my own advice from earlier in the thread and concentrated on swimming recently (with the odd gym session thrown in).

I'vw just done 2 miles today (128 lengths of a 25m pool).

Also did 120 on Monday.

Going to the gym this Monday and will do another monster swim on Thursday. (Would have been Wed, but I'm going to the game instead).

I've started drinking an energy drink before the swims - I've found the caffine boost really helps push you on.

Picked up my brand new bike last night and the commute to work this morning was a complete joy in comparison to my old mountain bike tbh

Hoping to Cycle most days which is a 16 mile round trip and then do a long ride at the weekends with the aim of doing 2 races next september!

First is the Pedal for Scotland event which is a 52 miler from Glasgow to Edinburgh and then a week or 2 later I want to do the Scottish Coast to Coast which is 105 miles over two days from Nairn to Glencoe but broken down as follows

Day 1

Trek/ Run - 7 miles (5 miles off-road) <LI>Road Cycle - 48 miles <LI>Mini Kayak & Run - 2 miles max

Day 2

<LI>Off-Road & Road Cycle - 33 miles (16 miles off-road) <LI>Trek/ Run - 14 miles (12 miles off-road) <LI>Kayak - 1 mile <LI>Short run to finish line

160 lengths in the pool today! Grrrrr!

That's 2.5 miles or 4km.....

Brother is cooking a well deserved steak and chips as I type!

Kennedy Bakircioglu

Jesus. I thought I was making pretty good improvements with the swimming. Managed to do 26 lenghts of a 50m pool. Think it took just under an hour. Almost died. Kudos to you mate!

Women in the gym.......

Doing 5 minutes on the bike on level 2 while reading a book and then 5 minutes on the cross trainer at a Sunday stroll pace does not constitute a workout.

And yes, now that I am a proper gym 'goer' I can get on my moral high horse about it.

Creepy Lurker

Women in the gym.......

Doing 5 minutes on the bike on level 2 while reading a book and then 5 minutes on the cross trainer at a Sunday stroll pace does not constitute a workout.

And yes, now that I am a proper gym 'goer' I can get on my moral high horse about it.

...whilst having a leisurely conversation with their friend and drinking a bottle of Lucozade. Followed by a nice big slice of cake in the cafe afterwards.

Not that it's any of my business how they choose to spend their time. I hate the thought of someone watching me work out, judging me, so I always feel a bit uneasy about the gym snobbery that I sometimes can't help but feel.

Snake Plissken

Women in the gym.......

I used to refer to them as gym bunnies back in the day.

They made for crap clients as they'd never stick to a routine and most of their effort went into picking a gym outfit rather than actual exercise. But they are harmless creatures really, they don't hog machines or sweat all over a seat and just get up and leave it. Now that I don't instruct anymore I really don't mind them at all and hardly notice them.

My gripe is still with the troglodytes who use massive weights with terrible form and sit on the bench press for half an hour and do about four sets in that time. I can't help but notice bad form but it's no longer any of my business so I tend to ignore them. So long they stay out of my way, it's all good.

Edited by Teenwolf

Creepy Lurker

I hate the guys who go to the gym and seem to spend most of their massive rests between sets chatting to your mates, then get all pissy when you ask to use a bench or weight while they're resting.

Grr.

On the leg press today, my mate and I are adding weight for every set we do.

Some **** next to us who is dead-lifting keeps coming over in-between his sets and pilfering weights from our stock instead of going where they are not being used.

Had his head phones in so didn't hear our objections when he came for the third time to take more weights.

This was only over-shaddowed by the two grunting men on one of the bars who, I swear to god, were lifting the weights over their heads making as much noise as possible then throwing them to the ground so the whole gym shuddered.

WE GET IT YOU ARE LIFTING WEIGHTS HOW VERY MANLY.

Loving the gym politics, bitchiness and general antics at the moment - it is like a whole sub-culture of people.

I'm impressed. Can I ask how long that took you?

future is maroon

Am pretty new to this gym game.

Started going to gym recently as although I still play 5's twice a week it's difficult to motivate myself to go out for a run a couple of nights a week in the wind/rain - nothing worse than setting myself up all day for a good run that night and then look out the window and it's blowing a gale. Don't mind football in the wind/rain but hardly ideal going out for a run in wind/hail or the puddles galore.

Been going to the gym for a couple of weeks now. Mainly after increasing my cardio fitness and maybe losing a few excess pounds. Is it ok just to say go on the treadmill for run/fast walk for 15/20 mins, bike at a reasonable pace for 30 mins and then say 10 mins on rowing machine. Will probably change the time I spend on each of those machines and also the speed I go on them but not sure if purely sticking to those is the way ahead. Should I also use some of the weight machines even though I aint looking to bulk/tone?

Sorry if this has been asked on thread before - had been keeping an eye on this thread for a while but can't remember all of what has been asked/answered.

Lots of great info on this thread and good for motivation point of view too.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Pet hates in the gym:

People who run so close to the front of the treadmill that they clatter the plastic bit

People who grunt and groan when they're doing weights

People who drop the weights when they're finished doing a set, making a loud feckin crash

People who decide to run next to you even though there are 50 free treadmills

The guy who was next to me on the treadmills on Friday and kept blowing his nose on his t-shirt. He was lucky to walk out of there with his teeth

Anyway, in the gym at 8am tomorrow. Belly's getting smaller but it's slow going. Starting to get a bit demoralised to be fair. It would help if the birds at my gym weren't so rough. The lack of talent there is a disgrace, not what I pay ?99 a month for

Creepy Lurker

Am pretty new to this gym game.

Started going to gym recently as although I still play 5's twice a week it's difficult to motivate myself to go out for a run a couple of nights a week in the wind/rain - nothing worse than setting myself up all day for a good run that night and then look out the window and it's blowing a gale. Don't mind football in the wind/rain but hardly ideal going out for a run in wind/hail or the puddles galore.

Been going to the gym for a couple of weeks now. Mainly after increasing my cardio fitness and maybe losing a few excess pounds. Is it ok just to say go on the treadmill for run/fast walk for 15/20 mins, bike at a reasonable pace for 30 mins and then say 10 mins on rowing machine. Will probably change the time I spend on each of those machines and also the speed I go on them but not sure if purely sticking to those is the way ahead. Should I also use some of the weight machines even though I aint looking to bulk/tone?

Sorry if this has been asked on thread before - had been keeping an eye on this thread for a while but can't remember all of what has been asked/answered.

Lots of great info on this thread and good for motivation point of view too.

To be honest, you'll see improvements with any program if you stick to it. As long as you keep increasing the intensity of your training in proportion to how you're improving, you should be fine. :thumbsup:

As far as the weights go, it really depends on what you're aiming for. If you're just looking to improve your cardio fitness, you're probably as well just concentrating on cardio (not that weights couldn't help, but varying your types of cardio training between steady state and intervals would probably be more beneficial). If what you want to do is lose weight/tone up, I'd definitely reccommend (sp? I think that my spelling's pretty good, but there are a few words that I really can't stand!) following some form of weights programme (programme being the operative word: make sure that you're following a dedicated programme rather than just having a shot on whichever machines catch your eye).

Pet hates in the gym:

People who run so close to the front of the treadmill that they clatter the plastic bit

People who grunt and groan when they're doing weights

People who drop the weights when they're finished doing a set, making a loud feckin crash

People who decide to run next to you even though there are 50 free treadmills

The guy who was next to me on the treadmills on Friday and kept blowing his nose on his t-shirt. He was lucky to walk out of there with his teeth

Anyway, in the gym at 8am tomorrow. Belly's getting smaller but it's slow going. Starting to get a bit demoralised to be fair. It would help if the birds at my gym weren't so rough. The lack of talent there is a disgrace, not what I pay ?99 a month for

?99 a month? Jesus Christ, that's more than I pay a year!

Personally, this week hasn't been great for me. I have actually managed my two days of Muay Thai and three days at the gym, but I've also drank four days out of the past seven and eaten quite unhealthily (typical drunk food) on two of those days. Bit disappointing, although it was pretty much unavoidable with three Hearts games and a friend's birthday...

Going to have a couple of weeks off of the drink, I think. I need to anyway, as I've got a hellish couple of weeks coming up at uni. :(

I'm impressed. Can I ask how long that took you?

That was the first time I'd ever done that much.

I average 2 lengths a minute for the 1st hundred so usually get that done in an hour including a couple of 2 minute stops to drink water.

If I do more than 100 I usually have to get out and pee and I take more breaks.

For the 160 I was in the water for 2 hours - as well as going for a pee and stopping for drinks I also helped fix an underwater light within that time (I work in the place I swim). I would say I spent 1hr 40min actually swimming.

I've always been a strong swimmer - I've been a lifeguard for 10 years and I'm also a qualified swimming teacher (basic) although I've never done it as a job.

I find with swimming that I can find a steady pace and just keep swimming. My arms get tired after about 20 lengths but if I just keep going they go numb and I don't feel it any more....

I also have a can of energy drink before I swim. That really helps me push my limits.

Jesus. I thought I was making pretty good improvements with the swimming. Managed to do 26 lenghts of a 50m pool. Think it took just under an hour. Almost died. Kudos to you mate!

That's not bad going. Aim for 32 next time. Then you can say you've swam a mile.

After that just try and get your time down and take less breaks. Once you feel stronger, take a wee drink of red bull before you start and try and get up to 40....

I've built up to my level over a 10 year period (pretty much all of which I've worked somewhere with a 25m pool that I've been able to use for free).

Things that annoy me in the gym:

Unnecessary grunting

People who do more talking than anything else

Women who wear make up

People that don't wipe down their machines if they've been sweating

People who work out with no tops on, for no other reason than to show off they're great body

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Things that annoy me in the gym:

Unnecessary grunting

People who do more talking than anything else

Women who wear make up

People that don't wipe down their machines if they've been sweating

People who work out with no tops on, for no other reason than to show off they're great body

Must confess I'm guilty of that

UnworthyPapaLazaru

This is my first post on here in a long time, but some of you guys seem pretty well versed and qualified in all thing fitness.

I have been using my gym at work for a few months now with a goal of gaining muscle and toning. I am lean/skinny build. I set up my own routine from looking over the internet finding exercises that matched the equipment that my gym has and also a few free weight and floor exercises. A typical routine just now is.

Dumbbell curls 3 sets of 8 reps

Dumbbell Shoulder press 3 sets of 8 reps

Dumbbell forward rise

Dumbbell hang clean 3 sets of 8 reps

Bench Press 3 sets of 8 reps

Chest press machine 3 sets of 8 reps

Pec Fly machine 3 sets of 8 reps

I am mixing this up with a few floor exercises, trying to target the abs:- Planks, Side Planks and crunches. (really struggling with these!)

Are my sets/reps set up to achieve muscle gain or should I be pushing fewer/heavier?

How often should I be upping my weights? Even though I have been going a few months I don?t feel ready to up the weights. I am generally reaching capacity by the time I get to the 8th rep of my third set taking about 60 seconds rest between sets. Should I be pushing myself more so that the 8th rep of my first set is reaching capacity and take a longer rest in between sets?

Also, they say that rest is important as the gym days. Does this mean I should be doing a gym/rest on alternative days? I typically go 4 or 5 times during the week and have my rest days over the weekend.

I tend not to worry about my legs as I am a regular cyclist, so I am currently feeling that that will take care of them and the cardio. Though I did do a 5k on the treadmill the other day in 28 minutes (with a slow start) and may carry this on especially as cycling becomes difficult on the icy roads.

Now to eating. I have never been a big eater. I have a large reasonable healthy breakfast and lunch pretty soon after. I eat a fruit as snacks during the day but my evening meals can be irregular. Would a protein shake be of any benefit? Before or after my routine? Both? Weekends are a weakness and focus on carry outs and drink and I have no plans to change this :thumbsup:

As I have been on the go for a few months I have noticed some subtle changes to my body shape and the missus has noticed and approves :thumbsup: I want to maintain over the xmas period and ramp it up over the new year once the gluttony passes and I incorporate another change. Giving up smoking.

Any answer to my questions from those in the know would be appreciated but I would probably benefit from a session with the qualified trainer that comes to our gym, but that would cost money! :unsure:

Creepy Lurker

This is my first post on here in a long time, but some of you guys seem pretty well versed and qualified in all thing fitness.

I have been using my gym at work for a few months now with a goal of gaining muscle and toning. I am lean/skinny build. I set up my own routine from looking over the internet finding exercises that matched the equipment that my gym has and also a few free weight and floor exercises. A typical routine just now is.

Dumbbell curls 3 sets of 8 reps

Dumbbell Shoulder press 3 sets of 8 reps

Dumbbell forward rise

Dumbbell hang clean 3 sets of 8 reps

Bench Press 3 sets of 8 reps

Chest press machine 3 sets of 8 reps

Pec Fly machine 3 sets of 8 reps

I am mixing this up with a few floor exercises, trying to target the abs:- Planks, Side Planks and crunches. (really struggling with these!)

Are my sets/reps set up to achieve muscle gain or should I be pushing fewer/heavier?

How often should I be upping my weights? Even though I have been going a few months I don?t feel ready to up the weights. I am generally reaching capacity by the time I get to the 8th rep of my third set taking about 60 seconds rest between sets. Should I be pushing myself more so that the 8th rep of my first set is reaching capacity and take a longer rest in between sets?

Also, they say that rest is important as the gym days. Does this mean I should be doing a gym/rest on alternative days? I typically go 4 or 5 times during the week and have my rest days over the weekend.

I tend not to worry about my legs as I am a regular cyclist, so I am currently feeling that that will take care of them and the cardio. Though I did do a 5k on the treadmill the other day in 28 minutes (with a slow start) and may carry this on especially as cycling becomes difficult on the icy roads.

Now to eating. I have never been a big eater. I have a large reasonable healthy breakfast and lunch pretty soon after. I eat a fruit as snacks during the day but my evening meals can be irregular. Would a protein shake be of any benefit? Before or after my routine? Both? Weekends are a weakness and focus on carry outs and drink and I have no plans to change this :thumbsup:

As I have been on the go for a few months I have noticed some subtle changes to my body shape and the missus has noticed and approves :thumbsup: I want to maintain over the xmas period and ramp it up over the new year once the gluttony passes and I incorporate another change. Giving up smoking.

Any answer to my questions from those in the know would be appreciated but I would probably benefit from a session with the qualified trainer that comes to our gym, but that would cost money! :unsure:

I've got about four minutes in which to write this, so apologies if it's a bit short...

- Even if you don't want big legs, you should still be doing leg exercises like squats and deadlifts. They're a big muscle group, and therefore release a lot of growth hormone, which will help in other areas too. The same won't happen with running or cycling.

- As far as sets and reps go, have you been doing three sets of eight since you started? I'd reccommend starting with three twelves and short rests of around 60 seconds before working down to higher weight, lower rep stuff with longer rests. Once you're down to high weight/low rep, you could then think about adding sets or switching to supersets/pyramid sets.

- Increase the weight whenever you feel that you're not pushing yourself hard enough. It's more important to lift with correct form.

- If you're only ever using that routine, I'd not go five times a week. You shouldn't be exercising the same muscle groups on consecutive days, although there's no problem with using different muscle groups or mixing resistance with dedicated cardio days.

- The abs exercises are pretty good, but you need to burn fat to really see any benefits. High intensity cardio or weights will both help here.

- Before moving onto protein shakes, try to incorporate a bit more protein into meals and snacks. Seeds and nuts are a good way of doing this, as are oats (think porridge/oatcakes). Natural peanut butter's probably my favourite food ever. If you do feel the need to move onto shakes, one before and one after can help if you're working hard enough, but I'd say that most people only need one after if at all. Try to eat six times a day, with three small, healthy meals and three healthy snacks in between each meal. As far as diet goes, it's just as important as exercise, but it's really about how many changes you're happy to make, what you think's worth giving up, etc. Don't do anything you don't enjoy, or you just won't stick to it.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Creepy Lurker

The thing that I glaringly had to do at two o'clock's actually been cancelled, and I've just noticed two absolutely glaring ommissions from my last post...

- Everything that I said about protein was true, but the examples that I gave were a bit strange. Far more obvious ones would've been things like eggs, oily fish (tinned fish like tuna and salmon are good ways of getting it cheaply) and white meat such as chicken or turkey breast. Things like chickpeas (try making them into falafel or hummus) and beans (kidney beans, butterbeans etc.: baked beans aren't too bad, but tend to be extremely high in sugar) are also good. A lot of people live in fear of a 'bodybuilder's diet' of eggs, chicken and protein shakes with brown rice every day, but if you use a bit of imagination you can make some absolutely brilliant meals. Also, protein's important, but don't focus on it too much; get your vitamins, high quality carbs and so on too. It's better to have a healthy diet than one which is just geared towards turning you into a massive slab of meat.

- After any workout, your body needs to be refuelled with a mix of protein and high quality carbs. A shake would help (although if it doesn't have carbs, a banana and an orange with it would be a good idea), but try something along the lines of a natural peanut butter and banana sandwich on brown bread first, or a large handful of walnuts and raisins.