Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Konrad von Carstein

Have an 8.00 am session booked with one of the trainers at Greens tomorrow, using medicine balls, my instructions to him were to show me some exercises that I could do on my own but the main object of tomorrow is for him to have me crawling out of the place at the finish.

I have been pushing things the last 4-5 days (between 550-600+ calories burned in 45min sessions) and this is meant to see what I can do with someone pushing me to the limit while doing something completely different to my usual routine.

Will report back...if i survive :mellow:

I'm in full training at the moment. :thumbsup:

(0.46 onwards)

(No, but seriously, am keeping up the middle-distance running and am going to go to the gym for some interval training on Thursday)

Edited by Acey

Ha! I'm the same height and if I'm less than 17 1/2 stone, it'll be a feckin party.

I get the concept though of heavy-heavy and light-heavy. Building the muscles makes you heavier but also makes it easier for you to exercise. Get the balance right and you, too, could grow into the fine specimen of a man that I've become.

As for your knees - get the buggers checked properly, otherwise, you could turn into the physical wreck of a man that I've become. Various dints and bashes to my knee and I've always worked through them. 3 years ago, it got pretty niggly and I had medical cover at work so decided to go for the arthroscope. Came to and the doc told me that I didn't have a cartilage problem because I didn't have a cartilage. Reckons that on one of my dints, I tore it a little and gradually (through 5s, tennis & walking) the whole effing thing wore away.

I remember you saying this before. Sounds grim. I've actually been to the Docs and all they gave me were a months worth of strong painkillers. They done the trick but the moment I came off them the problems came back.

Struggling to get myself motivated to go for a run. Dark and cold outside and I'm ******* shattered. I will do it though!

Creepy Lurker

Had a 'cheat day' scheduled today food-wise, as you're meant to do every 7-10 days (otherwise, your body becomes used to your regime and gains are minimised. Also, on common sense grounds, it's just easier to stick to if you know that you've got cheat days coming up).

I thought that doing it when I've got an essay due would be a good idea, but it's gone from a cheat (ie, one or two wee treats) to a full-on binge on the basis that: 'I need energy to write this essay' (still not finished, btw). Disappointing.

Training's going pretty well, though. Glutes still hurt from Romanian deadlifts on Friday!

Konrad von Carstein

Well I survived....just!

The session was like one to one circuit training (nowhere to hide) and in addition I was shown a variety of medicine ball execises that can be worked into my usual routine.

But bloody hell...I thought I was getting somewhere with my gym routine...I am shattered.

I remember you saying this before. Sounds grim. I've actually been to the Docs and all they gave me were a months worth of strong painkillers. They done the trick but the moment I came off them the problems came back.

Struggling to get myself motivated to go for a run. Dark and cold outside and I'm ******* shattered. I will do it though!

I failed at this. :angry:

My legs are pretty ****ed from squats so didn't think it was wise to run on them. Still a bit tender today but I'll deffo get a run in today as well as weights.

Starting to think I'm going to have to go back to the gym because it's going to be hard to get out running during the winter. I'm quite happy doing weights at home though so finding somewhere cheap enough to justify going 2/3 times a week is what I need.

How much is the pleasance for students?

the jambo poet

I thought I would add my own wee bit here...I too am nearing the magical 40 mark and only played 5's once a week (not enuff) and decided I was going to stop smoking and start going to the gym...well this was away back in January...when pure gym opened I was one of the first members and enjoy a monthly rate of ?12.99 which is outstanding...

anyway..I have been attending the gym probably in the main 3 times a week since January and while I can see differences etc it hasn't had the full effect I thought it would've by now...the problem for me is that I lost quite a bit off my sides etc and my stomach seems to have taken the longest....and this wasnt helped due to the more I did the more I ate!!..(fuel perhaps I really really felt hungrier) So just to let anyone reading this thread know that sometimes it can be lengthy...the problem I think I had was that initially I believe I put on weight due to the weights etc...now while I say weights I just mean the machines in the gym not the free standing weights...as they say muscle is heavier than fat...

I think I have quite a good work out and do vary it from time to time...my cardio is on the treadmill which is usually a 20 min run with a 4 in cooldown, again I vary this from jogging for 7 mins, a faster run for 2 mins then a sprint for 1 min a fast walk for 2 mins, then the same again...if I'm not doing this I'm on the bike doing similiar...then I basically have a "shot" of all the machines ..doing reps which I have steadilly increased the weights and I can see my upper body has changed as well as my legs, however my stomach appears to be taking ages...altho I can see a difference, it is proving murder to get down....

the one question I have for all the people in the know is....I train in the mornings prior to going to work...its basically the only time I can do it.usually anytime between 6-8am....is this good for me?...unfortunately I do not get anything to eat prior to going as this would not help me as I have played football all my days and could never get going if I had anything to eat prior to the games I played...Could it be that I'm not burning too much off as I am running on empty?...

I thought I would add my own wee bit here...I too am nearing the magical 40 mark and only played 5's once a week (not enuff) and decided I was going to stop smoking and start going to the gym...well this was away back in January...when pure gym opened I was one of the first members and enjoy a monthly rate of ?12.99 which is outstanding...

anyway..I have been attending the gym probably in the main 3 times a week since January and while I can see differences etc it hasn't had the full effect I thought it would've by now...the problem for me is that I lost quite a bit off my sides etc and my stomach seems to have taken the longest....and this wasnt helped due to the more I did the more I ate!!..(fuel perhaps I really really felt hungrier) So just to let anyone reading this thread know that sometimes it can be lengthy...the problem I think I had was that initially I believe I put on weight due to the weights etc...now while I say weights I just mean the machines in the gym not the free standing weights...as they say muscle is heavier than fat...

I think I have quite a good work out and do vary it from time to time...my cardio is on the treadmill which is usually a 20 min run with a 4 in cooldown, again I vary this from jogging for 7 mins, a faster run for 2 mins then a sprint for 1 min a fast walk for 2 mins, then the same again...if I'm not doing this I'm on the bike doing similiar...then I basically have a "shot" of all the machines ..doing reps which I have steadilly increased the weights and I can see my upper body has changed as well as my legs, however my stomach appears to be taking ages...altho I can see a difference, it is proving murder to get down....

the one question I have for all the people in the know is....I train in the mornings prior to going to work...its basically the only time I can do it.usually anytime between 6-8am....is this good for me?...unfortunately I do not get anything to eat prior to going as this would not help me as I have played football all my days and could never get going if I had anything to eat prior to the games I played...Could it be that I'm not burning too much off as I am running on empty?...

It should be ok to train at that time if you still get plenty sleep... e.g go to bed at 10pm.

If I were you I would upload on some carbs before you workout as training on an empty stomach is not a good idea.

I've not been for about 8 days :down:

Going tomorrow though.I'm on backshift and start at 4 so I'll get a decent nights kip and go for a hour.Same on Friday.

Just struggling to stay motivated.

Any tips appreciated.

Creepy Lurker

You'll burn less fat if you skip breakfast, as your metabolism's at its slowest first thing in the morning. If you're getting to the gym really quickly in the morning, then you could maybe try having a balanced breakfast immediately afterwards? A snack after the gym (something along the lines of a banana and an orange) is a must in terms of fat burn anyway, as that'll keep your metabolism going quickly post-workout, enabling you to burn fat for longer. Ideally, I'd still say that you should be having breakfast before the gym, but if it's not possible then try to do so after: don't skip the meal entirely.

The part about eating more could also be a problem. Eating correctly is more important in terms of fat loss than exercise (although both are vital): if you're eating bigger meals and not snacking more, or eating more but of the wrong things, that could be holding you back. Ideally, you should be eating six times a day, with three small meals and three small snacks in between (healthy ones, obviously).

'Having a go' on the weights machines also isn't really advisable. You'll see some degree of improvement if you stick to any kind of programme, but you'd be better off getting someone to draw a specfic one up for you rather than just jumping on a few machines before leaving.

Going to order some Creatine soon, but not sure if I should be taking powder or capsules.

Anyone here took it before?

My mate swears by the capsules. Always been a bit wary of it myself, heard mixed reports.

Jimmy McNulty

True about exercise v diet. Change of diet (volume) made a big difference no matter if I was exerting or not. Was a skinny guy with a belly, dropped 15lbs through eating sensibly alone.

Snake Plissken

I've not been for about 8 days :down:

Going tomorrow though.I'm on backshift and start at 4 so I'll get a decent nights kip and go for a hour.Same on Friday.

Just struggling to stay motivated.

Any tips appreciated.

Set short term goals.

Something you can manage in a few weeks but only if you stick to it.

For example I set a goal of maintaining 16 km/h for the duration of one of my lunchtime runs (20 minutes not including an easy couple of minutes for a warm up). I built up to it by running at a fast pace of 17-18 km/h for one minute and 'resting' at 12-13 km/h for a minute. I increaded the amound of time I spent on the fast pace while keeping the 'rest' pace the same. After a few weeks I attempted it and after a comfortable opening 10 minutes I had to really show some grit to hand on, I only managed it through sheer force of will and the stamina I had built up.

Another goal I made was to break though 500 calories in less than 25 minutes, that was murder but I did it two weeks ago. Now I'm concentrating on upping the weights I do - I want to be able to bench my bodyweight for 3 sets of 10. I manage the first set but I'm 6-8 on the second and 4-6 on the third so bit of work needed there.

So pick something you want to achieve - be it to maintain a certain pace on the treadmill or to reach a certain weight on a machine. If you achieve it, look to improve something else, stay hungry and keep aiming to get further.

Failing that, sign up for a 10k or some other challenge that you'll have to train for.

Anyway, it's now gym time and I think it's time to kick the arse out of the bench press.

My mate swears by the capsules. Always been a bit wary of it myself, heard mixed reports.

Ordered some of the capsules last night, I don't think there's anything to be wary about as there have been many studies and scientists consider it as safe. All it does is help your body produce more Creatine, hence more muscle size.

RoussetsShorts

Ordered some of the capsules last night, I don't think there's anything to be wary about as there have been many studies and scientists consider it as safe. All it does is help your body produce more Creatine, hence more muscle size.

Muscle is inefficient so doesnt belong in a 'fitness' thread, most muscular blokes in the gym are not 'fit'. :ninja:

Muscle is inefficient so doesnt belong in a 'fitness' thread, most muscular blokes in the gym are not 'fit'. :ninja:

Why would I create a new thread when people have been talking about muscle exercises from the beginning of this one?

The comment in bold isn't accurate, most muscular people in my gym are on the treadmill 3x a week.

Edited by Jailbait

Snake Plissken

That's a rather limited definition of fitness what you're talking about is cardiovascular endurance.

Fitness is about many things: strength, power, flexibility, muscular endurance, cardiovascular endurance

Mass muscle is rather deterimental to CV since muscle saps oxygen a lot quicker but a marathon runner wouldn't be much use on the bench press.

I'm an all-rounder in any case, probably more to the side of CV but I do plenty of weights and have some build.

Creepy Lurker

As far as I'm aware, the stuff about it actually being in any way dangerous is bullshit, but I've heard in a few places that your body produces enough creatine anyway. It seems as though there are new studies all the time saying slightly different things, though, so it's hard to tell.

It's not much of an issue for me personally, I suppose, as I've never gone all out for bulk anyway.

What Teenwolf said is more or less spot on here: your definition of 'fitness' is far too narrow, and there's also a massive difference between wanting to get a bit of extra muscle and being a bodybuilder.

Set short term goals.

Something you can manage in a few weeks but only if you stick to it.

For example I set a goal of maintaining 16 km/h for the duration of one of my lunchtime runs (20 minutes not including an easy couple of minutes for a warm up). I built up to it by running at a fast pace of 17-18 km/h for one minute and 'resting' at 12-13 km/h for a minute. I increaded the amound of time I spent on the fast pace while keeping the 'rest' pace the same. After a few weeks I attempted it and after a comfortable opening 10 minutes I had to really show some grit to hand on, I only managed it through sheer force of will and the stamina I had built up.

Another goal I made was to break though 500 calories in less than 25 minutes, that was murder but I did it two weeks ago. Now I'm concentrating on upping the weights I do - I want to be able to bench my bodyweight for 3 sets of 10. I manage the first set but I'm 6-8 on the second and 4-6 on the third so bit of work needed there.

So pick something you want to achieve - be it to maintain a certain pace on the treadmill or to reach a certain weight on a machine. If you achieve it, look to improve something else, stay hungry and keep aiming to get further.

Failing that, sign up for a 10k or some other challenge that you'll have to train for.

Anyway, it's now gym time and I think it's time to kick the arse out of the bench press.

Cheers mate :thumbsup:

Not long back.Just done 20 mins on the Treadmill and 10 on the Bike.Only 300 calories burnt though :down:

Started struggling at the end!

I'll keep at it though.

Snake Plissken

Cheers mate :thumbsup:

Not long back.Just done 20 mins on the Treadmill and 10 on the Bike.Only 300 calories burnt though :down:

Started struggling at the end!

I'll keep at it though.

It's a start Beats.

There's your first target then: 400 kcal.

See if you can get a bit closer to it next session.

Keep at it :thumbsup:

A bad session is still better than no session.

It's a start Beats.

There's your first target then: 400 kcal.

See if you can get a bit closer to it next session.

Keep at it :thumbsup:

A bad session is still better than no session.

Cheers.

Should have better shifts next week so I should get to the gym everyday.

If I'm going first thing should I be having breakfast first or not?

Snake Plissken

Cheers.

Something light prior and something again afterwards.

Your metabolism slows down significantly when you sleep so you should always be looking to eat as soon as possible in the day and it's always a good idea to get something down your neck after a workout.

Something light prior and something again afterwards.

Your metabolism slows down significantly when you sleep so you should always be looking to eat as soon as possible in the day and it's always a good idea to get something down your neck after a workout.

:thumbsup:

Konrad von Carstein

Cheers.

After my 8.00 am session this week (which I had no breakfast before) I looked this up & one of the options for what you could have prior to morning exercise surprised me. Among the yoghurt & banana etc was...neck a sports drink (this suits me as I am a queasy eater in the early morning so hopefully it is true!)

As for your targets in the gym...I saw you saying you burnt 300 calories, if you are using a HRM then why not set targets that you must reach before you leave the gym?

Personally I don't like leaving if I have burnt less than 500 and if I'm short when completing my routine I jump on a treadmill/bike/rowing machine to take me over.

After my 8.00 am session this week (which I had no breakfast before) I looked this up & one of the options for what you could have prior to morning exercise surprised me. Among the yoghurt & banana etc was...neck a sports drink (this suits me as I am a queasy eater in the early morning so hopefully it is true!)

As for your targets in the gym...I saw you saying you burnt 300 calories, if you are using a HRM then why not set targets that you must reach before you leave the gym?

Personally I don't like leaving if I have burnt less than 500 and if I'm short when completing my routine I jump on a treadmill/bike/rowing machine to take me over.

I'm looking to burn 500 calories a day but since it's been over a week since I have been to the gym.I thought today I should break myself back in gently.

I'm on split shifts next week so I'm going to go all week.

Cheers for the advice mate.

Just back from a couple of laps of the Meadows (+distance to/from the flat). Middle-distance fitness is definitely improving, but need to get my arse in gear when it comes to weights. They're sitting right next to me in my room, but I use them far too infrequently.

Just weighed myself.

In about 2 weeks I've put on 4 pounds but I can't see it on me fat wise. Is there a point where your weight starts to go down or will it just continue to rise?!

fat+alan.jpg

Snake Plissken

20 minutes on the treadmill this lunchtime (not including warm-up/cool down), doing interval training and alternating between speed and incline./

I had a two minute window at 17 km/h and that took quite a lot out of me, the last few minutes were fairly brutal but I clung on. I forgot my headphones so I had to make do with whatever the gym was playing and that was really quite pish.

I'm a postman and have been since July and have lost 17 pounds doing so. My diet hasn't changed that much and my drinking habits are the same. I'm now wanting to start doing weights, not read through the whole thread but got free weights at home and getting a bench as well, mainly looking to tone up but not really put muscle on. Anybody got information or links to websites that will show me this? cheers

Snake Plissken

So a rowing machine..

Yay or nay?

Not a fan of them personally.

That doesn't mean they're not good, it just means I don't like using them.

Concept 2 make the best rowing machines but they tend to be very expensive, my concern with a fold-away cheap one would be how flimsy it would be. The C2's needed a fair bit of work and they were top of the line, that said if you bought one it wouldn't get the same volume as the ones in a gym.

I don't really like home exercise equipment as I think you need to get away from the comfort zone to put the work in. I get the feeling it's the sort of thing you would use two or three times and then it would spend the rest of its days in a cupboard somewhere.

Sexton Hardcastle

I would probably get more use/value for this than a gym membership.

Just with working early/late im missing out on football so i reckon i could fire in a good hour a hour a day on it. Rowing machines seem to get the best reviews and results for a single peice of equipment, or would you suggest a cross trainer?

Thought I would have my first involvement in this thread

Re-joined the gym and am about to start on T5 fat-strippers on Monday.

Have sought professional advice and worked out an exercise programme as well as a managable diet that I can fit around being in uni and work.

The aim is to shed 2 stone by xmas and take it from there.

Once I have shifted the weight, begin on the protein and muscle building.

Got a good training partner to begin with and he assures me if I stick to it I will have no problem in achieving my short and long term goals.

Pretty pumped to get started but I know the motivation will get harder and harder to come by.

Thought I would have my first involvement in this thread

Re-joined the gym and am about to start on T5 fat-strippers on Monday.

Have sought professional advice and worked out an exercise programme as well as a managable diet that I can fit around being in uni and work.

The aim is to shed 2 stone by xmas and take it from there.

Once I have shifted the weight, begin on the protein and muscle building.

Got a good training partner to begin with and he assures me if I stick to it I will have no problem in achieving my short and long term goals.

Pretty pumped to get started but I know the motivation will get harder and harder to come by.

Sounds a good plan, but that 2 stone by Xmas will be a tough one.

I'm a postman and have been since July and have lost 17 pounds doing so. My diet hasn't changed that much and my drinking habits are the same. I'm now wanting to start doing weights, not read through the whole thread but got free weights at home and getting a bench as well, mainly looking to tone up but not really put muscle on. Anybody got information or links to websites that will show me this? cheers

I was a postie and lost nearly 2 stone during the first 6 months but then after that I started putting it back on.Body getting used to it maybe.

I'm no expert but I'd say you will need to go to the gym to keep the weight off.

Was at the gym today.300 calories again but going for 400 tomorrow :thumbsup:

Sounds a good plan, but that 2 stone by Xmas will be a tough one.

The regime is going to be pretty intensive for the first few weeks - 6am starts for the gym before uni and then probably a couple of double sessions on my days off.

Weekends are going to be the toughest as I work late Friday and Saturday nights so will have to be motivated to get up and get down the gym.

T5's should give me the energy required to get through the day.

Already spent a fortune on the T5s, protein powder, and other supplements that I will need (Vit C being a priority)!

Spoke to my mate tonight who has put the plan together, he says I will be doing 3 sets of exercises: one day upper body and arms, one day back and legs and one day intensive cardio. Recycle this for 6 days and then Sundays are a 'cheat day'. Because of the weights programme I will need the protein shakes straight away or I will just rip apart the muscles by upping the tempo without giving them time to repair.

Looks like no carbs after 4pm and I may have the 'shakes' from the T5s at times!

Sounds grueling but with 3 of us following the same programme the motivation is there.

The regime is going to be pretty intensive for the first few weeks - 6am starts for the gym before uni and then probably a couple of double sessions on my days off.

Weekends are going to be the toughest as I work late Friday and Saturday nights so will have to be motivated to get up and get down the gym.

T5's should give me the energy required to get through the day.

Already spent a fortune on the T5s, protein powder, and other supplements that I will need (Vit C being a priority)!

Spoke to my mate tonight who has put the plan together, he says I will be doing 3 sets of exercises: one day upper body and arms, one day back and legs and one day intensive cardio. Recycle this for 6 days and then Sundays are a 'cheat day'. Because of the weights programme I will need the protein shakes straight away or I will just rip apart the muscles by upping the tempo without giving them time to repair.

Looks like no carbs after 4pm and I may have the 'shakes' from the T5s at times!

Sounds grueling but with 3 of us following the same programme the motivation is there.

Yeah that sounds good, stick to it and you'll see a difference. Most people give up after not seeing results after a few months but you will see gains if you keep at this plan.

Are you planning on the loosing the 2 stone in fat and building muscle at the same time btw?

Konrad von Carstein

I am now consistently burning close to 600 calories per 45 minute session. Pretty chuffed as this is a rise from +/-500 previously.

This is a combination of cardio (mainly) along with my now preferred medicine ball exercises. I began thinking about them as a substitute for weights as depending on when I get into the gym you can never get on a **** machine.

Hopefully I will begin to see the benfits over the next few weeks.

Yeah that sounds good, stick to it and you'll see a difference. Most people give up after not seeing results after a few months but you will see gains if you keep at this plan.

Are you planning on the loosing the 2 stone in fat and building muscle at the same time btw?

2 stone is the target by xmas, which includes building some muscle.

The thought behind it is that although I will have to lose more than 2 stone in weight and add the rest on in muscle this will help the post Christmas target as I will be getting stronger as I go on.

Rather than just losing a load of weight on cardio and starting to muscle build from scratch.

2 stone is the target by xmas, which includes building some muscle.

The thought behind it is that although I will have to lose more than 2 stone in weight and add the rest on in muscle this will help the post Christmas target as I will be getting stronger as I go on.

Rather than just losing a load of weight on cardio and starting to muscle build from scratch.

Yeah good idea, I used to take Whey Protein but I've had trouble putting on weight so I decided to go for a Mass Gainer drink, on top of that I'm taking Creatine so hopefully see results as the weeks go by.

Yeah good idea, I used to take Whey Protein but I've had trouble putting on weight so I decided to go for a Mass Gainer drink, on top of that I'm taking Creatine so hopefully see results as the weeks go by.

With the uni gym up here you get 25% off protein at Powerhouse!

Not been on this thread since i wrote a few posts early on and it was made a sticky.

Good to see loads are getting right into the training and this thread is helping some peoples motivation.

Few things I would add, from having quickly browsed through the last couple of pages;

Tried creative several times over the last few years, found no benefit from it. I got a little water retention in the muscle. Which soon goes. It gives a placebo effect more than anything. U think your getting bigger (water retention) so you have a little mental boost. But it doesn't fool me any longer!

Someone mentioned losing fat through cardio and then hitting the weights. No!! Do weights now. Building lean muscle burns fat. Do both! In fact with a healthy diet and only weights u can still shed loads of fat.

Someone else was disappointed with the amount of calories they burnt. Don't be! Thanks to your cardio / weights slog, your now burning more calories throughout the rest of the day than you otherwise would have.

Hit my 400 calories today :thumbsup:

Pretty chuffed with this but was struggling near the end.

Had planned to stay longer than the 35 mins I did but I just couldn't :down:

Back tomorrow again and being honest I'll be happy to do 400 again.

Edit::: Would doing some sit ups in the morning and again last thing at night be advisable?

Edited by Beats

Konrad von Carstein

Hit my 400 calories today :thumbsup:

Pretty chuffed with this but was struggling near the end.

Had planned to stay longer than the 35 mins I did but I just couldn't :down:

Back tomorrow again and being honest I'll be happy to do 400 again.

Edit::: Would doing some sit ups in the morning and again last thing at night be advisable?

Forgot to start my HRM tonight :angry:

My thougths on sit ups or anything else in the morning or last thing at night is this, if you puggle yourself at the gym then you won't need (or want) to do more. Although it won't hurt I suppose.

350 calories today.

Didn't have as much time today but happy enough with what I did.30 mins on the Treadmill.

I'm off tomorrow so I'll go for longer.

Snake Plissken

350 calories today.

Didn't have as much time today but happy enough with what I did.30 mins on the Treadmill.

I'm off tomorrow so I'll go for longer.

It's all steps in the right direction Beats and using 400 as a target can keep you motivated.

I see you asked if some sit ups first and last thing in a day is a good idea. It certainly won't hurt but would I be right in assuming you wish to do this to lose a bit of weight around the stomach?

Get yourself on the weights machines for a bit prior to your run if that's the case, it'll help the wegiht fly off. For example start off with 3 sets of 12 reps at a reasonable weight and work the major muscle groups - chest, upper back, legs then finish with some core work before doing your run.

----

I'm still feeling Tuesday's leg workout, I just worked biceps this lunchtime as I'm fast running out of places that aren't sore. It's been a good week though, I've managed to go without sugar bar the single teaspoon that goes into my coffee in the morning and fructose in all the fruit I've eaten and consumption of saturated fat is also low.