Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Konrad von Carstein

Another gym session today, dropped below 11st. Result

Been training hard the last two months on an Olympic lifting schedule. Have noticed massive power & endurance gain without the added bulk normally associated which has been a massive bonus. The clean pull, clean high pull and clean & jerk. Amazing fun learning the techniques and seeing your power go through the roof. Would encourage anybody who's fairly fit to give it a go as it does yer power and cardio in one when you do it intensely.

Can post the routines if anybody wants.

After my "session" tonight............i hate you both! <_<:lol:

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Been training hard the last two months on an Olympic lifting schedule. Have noticed massive power & endurance gain without the added bulk normally associated which has been a massive bonus. The clean pull, clean high pull and clean & jerk. Amazing fun learning the techniques and seeing your power go through the roof. Would encourage anybody who's fairly fit to give it a go as it does yer power and cardio in one when you do it intensely.

http://www.gymjones.com/

Gym Jones is not a cozy place. There are no televisions, no machines, no comfortable spot to sit (just plywood and diamond-plate), and there are no mirrors. The training is difficult. There are no shortcuts. Physical and psychological breakdowns occur. Our culture, dedicated to The Art of Suffering, is both safety net and inspiration. Individuals push hard and risk more alongside trustworthy peers

Fair play if it works for you, but it sounds mental! I'll stick with my running (soft lad that I am)

Creepy Lurker

My biggest problem, a love of massive bowls of pasta, beer and wine aside, is my work schedule. I can be in the office til, 7.30, 8 o'clock and by that time it's difficult to motivate for a couple of reasons; one being that I'm tired and it's late, the other being that I'd end up eating my tea at the back of ten once all's said and done. That's not good at all for someone who likes pasta. rolleyes.gif

I play football once a week - as my other game has stopped but should restart asap, and after a lengthy 4/5 month lay off am back at the gym. Finding time is the real problem for me. So, any advice from people in a similar situation? Be that in finding a short sharp work out I can fit in around 10-12 hour shifts in office, or whatever...

You can't beat a quick vegetable and beef/pork/chicken stir fry post gym, but after a long day in the office the temptation is to reach for the tins of tomatoes, fusilli and block of cheese...

Just saw this post...

Not sure of what you'd define as a 'short, sharp workout', but I'd say that no-one should ever be in a gym for longer than 45 minutes to an hour, which is when testosterone levels start to dip. If you're doing weights, cut your breaks between sets (I never rest for longer than 90 seconds). With cardio, on the other hand, high intensity interval training is the way in which everyone should be going: you'll get your heartrate up more, burn more fat and increase your lung capacity more, all in a shorter time. HIIT is basically just any type of cardio training in which you're pushing yourself really hard for a short period of time, following it up with a longer 'rest' period (which wouldn't usually involve rest as such - although it could - but going at a gentler pace) and alternating for as long as you can take. If you're doing it right, 15 minutes or so of this should be enough (and doesn't have to be done in a gym; in fact, you're best just buying decent running shoes and doing it up a hill).

If it's resistance work that you want to do, barbell complexes are a good way of drastically cutting your gym time. There are loads of different ways in which these can be done, but here's one that I used to do:

6 x hang clean and press

6 x front squat

6 x lunge (each side)

6 x Romanian deadlift

6 x bent over row

6 x shrug

The idea is that you cycle through all of the exercises without letting go of the bar before resting for a minute and repeating. I'd do this four times through after a few sets of heavy bench presses, and that'd give you a good fat burning workout which'd also increase both strength and muscle. If you were to use the above one, I'd advise a light weight to start out with; it's almost as much of a cardio workout as an upper body one.

Complexes can be done with any piece of equipment, by the way: I just chose barbell complexes as they're good in a crowded gym.

Another good way of burning fat as well as building functional strength is bodyweight circuit training. One of the warmups that we use at Muay Thai is called 'sweet 16', and basically consists of 32 minutes spent doing 30 seconds of exercise and 30 seconds of rest (hence 16 minutes of actual exercise), cycling between the following bodyweight exercises:

Burpees (30 seconds on, 30 seconds off, repeated eight times through)

Various kinds of leg move (as a guide: squats, jump squats, lunges, lunge jumps, Hindu squats, Sumo squats, jump squats, lunge jumps)

Various abs moves (as a guide: sit-ups, knee-hugs, leg raises, planks, commando planks, side plank on each side, knee hugs)

Varios kinds of press up (as a guide: normal press up, wide arm press up, narrow arm press up, diamond press up, maintain press up position on one arm and then the other, press up on fists, press up on fingertips)

It doesn't matter so much about the exact moves used, especially at the press up stage where the coaches tend to push us pretty hard, but something along those lines is a good way to push yourself.

As far as the pasta goes, if you're working those kind of hours then you could be doing a whole lot worse. One easy improvement to make even if you don't feel up to using much imagination is to use wholemeal pasta and cut out the cheese.

On topic, I actually didn't do anything at all today as I think that I've been overtraining recently. If anyone else feels the same, I'd advise that they take a short break as doing too much is actually counterproductive in that even if it doesn't lead to injury you won't make the gains that you should.

http://www.gymjones.com/

Gym Jones is not a cozy place. There are no televisions, no machines, no comfortable spot to sit (just plywood and diamond-plate), and there are no mirrors. The training is difficult. There are no shortcuts. Physical and psychological breakdowns occur. Our culture, dedicated to The Art of Suffering, is both safety net and inspiration. Individuals push hard and risk more alongside trustworthy peers

Post the routines then bud (just out of interest).

Done my session tonight, still feeling the effects from Monday though (slightly) so not sure if I should have done it or gave it another day? Couldn't really be arsed but this thread seems to be a good source of motivation for me.

As for the pasta ... I eat shitloads of pasta per week, nearly some sort of pasta everyday. Is it really that bad if you are getting regular exercise? I thought it was actually good for that?

Edited by Alan Partridge

Creepy Lurker

Post the routines then bud (just out of interest).

Done my session tonight, still feeling the effects from Monday though (slightly) so not sure if I should have done it or gave it another day? Couldn't really be arsed but this thread seems to be a good source of motivation for me.

As for the pasta ... I eat shitloads of pasta per week, nearly some sort of pasta everyday. Is it really that bad if you are getting regular exercise? I thought it was actually good for that?

Pasta's full of carbs, which cause a spike in insulin levels, promoting fat storage.

You don't have to rule it out of your diet (the carbs are comparatively low-GI, which means that they're converted into energy slowly and therefore keep a steady supply of energy to your body), but should only be eating it in small quantities and making sure to get enough protein and good fats.

OK Beefy guys, help me out here. I am diabetic so been told I have to eat lots of carbs (brown so as there is slow release). Also decided to do a little training just to tone up a wee bitsy so bought a cross trainer (eliptical?) as I was told this was good. Did 6 minutes first time and was unable to walk up a stair for 5 days my thighs were so bloody sore!!!!! What should I be doing. NOt really looking for weight loss but a little would be nice.

Snake Plissken

Yesterday's deadlifts have taken their toll, I've been elected mayor of Painville.

Lesson learned to not negelect them in future.

Just weighed myself.

In about 2 weeks I've put on 4 pounds but I can't see it on me fat wise. Is there a point where your weight starts to go down or will it just continue to rise?!

Governor Tarkin

Yesterday's deadlifts have taken their toll, I've been elected mayor of Painville.

Lesson learned to not negelect them in future.

Hadn't trained properly for a few months so had a few light full body workouts last week to get things moving again. I find it hard to build muscle so I'm on a hard gainers workout which works each body part twice a week over three gym sessions and include lots of big compound exercises. So far this week:

Tuesday: Squats, lunges, bench press, Lat pulldowns, z bar preacher curls. After a warm up - 3 sets of each, all to failure.

Wednesday: Back to the boxing club for the first time in months.

Today: www.cannae_move.com

Honestly, a walking stick might help if only I could hold one.

Screw this getting old lark.

Weighed myself for the first time in a year and a half. Result worse than expected.

Now on two games of 6s plus two personal training sessions focused on core strength per week. Hoping to lose about 20 pounds by Christmas...

Creepy Lurker

Just weighed myself.

In about 2 weeks I've put on 4 pounds but I can't see it on me fat wise. Is there a point where your weight starts to go down or will it just continue to rise?!

No chance of it being muscle gain?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Weighed myself for the first time in a year and a half. Result worse than expected.

Now on two games of 6s plus two personal training sessions focused on core strength per week. Hoping to lose about 20 pounds by Christmas...

My weight fluctuates. On Wednesday night, I was 10st 12lbs. This morning I'm 11st 6lb. But by the time I come home from the gym later today, I'll be round about 11st again.

I was at the gym yesterday again.

20 mins on the bike and 20 running.

Spoke to the fitness instructor I've to go in next week and he will sort a programme out for me.

Finish at 1 today so I'll go in for 45 mins or so.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Just back the now after 11k run, sit ups and weights.

Cheers to Big C for recommending more weights to get rid of belly flab. Seems to be working slowly (still a chubster tho)

Snake Plissken

Just back the now after 11k run, sit ups and weights.

Cheers to Big C for recommending more weights to get rid of belly flab. Seems to be working slowly (still a chubster tho)

He's spot on with that, you rapidly increase your metabolism with weight training. Working the main muscle groups - chest, lats, legs burns a huge amount of calories and for several hours afterwards you'll still be burning the calories at a faster rate. It's a sad misconception that some seem to think weight training turns you into some kind of hulk like figure. It was the most common myth I had to dispel in my instructing days.

Although for even faster weight loss I would recommend- weights, sit ups then run. By doing weights (after a warm up) prior to the main cardio of your workout you'll burn considerably more calories. I've seen some big successes from those who adopt this method and I can't recommend it enough. Make sure you mix it up a bit as the gains slow down as your body becomes used to it. Make sure you stick to it and good look!

Dusk_Till_Dawn

He's spot on with that, you rapidly increase your metabolism with weight training. Working the main muscle groups - chest, lats, legs burns a huge amount of calories and for several hours afterwards you'll still be burning the calories at a faster rate. It's a sad misconception that some seem to think weight training turns you into some kind of hulk like figure. It was the most common myth I had to dispel in my instructing days.

Although for even faster weight loss I would recommend- weights, sit ups then run. By doing weights (after a warm up) prior to the main cardio of your workout you'll burn considerably more calories. I've seen some big successes from those who adopt this method and I can't recommend it enough. Make sure you mix it up a bit as the gains slow down as your body becomes used to it. Make sure you stick to it and good look!

Do you mean fat loss or weight loss? Basically I'm around 11st at the moment which is probably as low as I should go (I'm 5ft 10inch) but I've still got flab to burn on my stomach.

Appreciate the advice though. You get a lot of mixed messages about this stuff.

Sit ups really, really aren't that useful, though.

Sit ups are great exercises for strengthening your core abs and hip flexors, using them with different weighted medicine balls can help tailor the type of results your looking for.

Sit ups (like any other muscle strengthening exercise) burn little calories and therefore will not help in burning fat from your belly, for an overweight person to achieve tight ab muscles you will need to combine a lot of cardio with the sit up exercises. Doing one or the other will not maximise the results your looking for, i.e. you may have tight ab muscles but they will be hidden under a layer of excess fat.

CL, you dont half slaver false information to people on this thread.

Edited by scott_jambo

Dusk_Till_Dawn

That's kind of the point I was making in my previous posts. You never know which advice is best and the last thing you want is to do is a programme for 6 weeks which makes no positive difference.

Good thread this though. For two years I've been stabbing in the dark, losing weight and getting very fit (ie can run far and at a good speed) while developing no toning whatsoever. It's been p-ing me off recently

Snake Plissken

That's kind of the point I was making in my previous posts. You never know which advice is best and the last thing you want is to do is a programme for 6 weeks which makes no positive difference.

Good thread this though. For two years I've been stabbing in the dark, losing weight and getting very fit (ie can run far and at a good speed) while developing no toning whatsoever. It's been p-ing me off recently

I believe Big C has gym experience and the advice he's been giving is sound. I worked as a PT for two years, I got my qualifications through WABBA, the pass mark is 85% (I got 96).

A lot of people who go to the gym think they know a fair bit, I also thought like that until I actually got qualified.

For toning, the general rule is 3 sets of 12 reps at 50-60% of your 1 rep max. Work the big muscle groups first chest, lats, quads before you do the smaller groups. reason being the smaller muscles (biceps, triceps etc) are secondary in most of the exercises for big muscle groups. Ergo, burning out your triceps before you bench will greatly reduce your performance.

As I said, keep at it and mix it up (that goes for your cardio too).

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I believe Big C has gym experience and the advice he's been giving is sound. I worked as a PT for two years, I got my qualifications through WABBA, the pass mark is 85% (I got 96).

A lot of people who go to the gym think they know a fair bit, I also thought like that until I actually got qualified.

For toning, the general rule is 3 sets of 12 reps at 50-60% of your 1 rep max. Work the big muscle groups first chest, lats, quads before you do the smaller groups. reason being the smaller muscles (biceps, triceps etc) are secondary in most of the exercises for big muscle groups. Ergo, burning out your triceps before you bench will greatly reduce your performance.

As I said, keep at it and mix it up (that goes for your cardio too).

Nice one, I'll give it a bash

Walter Bishop

Enjoy these threads.

3 weeks ago I went back to the gym after being away 6 weeks and putting on half a stone! I was on the treadmill but was getting really sore shins so I've manly been concentrating on the bike.Lost 4 pounds in 2 weeks.

Not been this week due to IBS! But enjoying it again.Boredom is a big thing with me.

Need to shift around 8 pounds to get to the weight I want but i'm getting there.

Sorry AP i can't answer your question about the weights but will be interested in what others have to say.I'm planning on doing the weights but i'm not sure if i should be doing them now or waiting?

This would be good for a sticky Mods :thumbsup:

I got really sore shins on the treadmill at my gym aswell, i had a word with the staff there and told me to change trainers as AP says. Got myself a pair of Asics gel trainers, what a difference!!

Just started my winter training program, think next summer will be my last playing football so want to go out on a high (or as close to a high as a 35 year old can get). I am resonably fit but have two major issues I need to to target.

First, my legs are no where near as strong as they should be, snapped my cruciate ligament a couple of years back. Have started doing plyometric drills and am feeling the pain today, the Shetland word is "Speagie". Planning to do Squats and Lunges in the gym as well along with regular running sessions.

Secondly, I have suffered for years now from muscle knots and tension in my upper back and neck, as a result my movement is very limited. I now know that I have Upper Cross Syndrome due mostly to poor posture at work but also not helped by my gym workouts which had a lot of pulldowns and chest work. Planning to do gym workouts targeting the back and shoulders, more rowing type movements (bent over rows etc). Also need to keep stretching regularly and work out the muscle knots.

Some good training tips on this thread, I can only echo the comments regarding weight training and weight loss. Last winter I did a lot of free weights after my ACL operation and I couldn't believe how effective it was at getting rid of the weight I put on while being injured.

I got really sore shins on the treadmill at my gym aswell, i had a word with the staff there and told me to change trainers as AP says. Got myself a pair of Asics gel trainers, what a difference!!

Cheers mate :thumbsup:

I'll get a new pair in the next couple of weeks just not had the time.

Never went today :down: Had the bairn but I'm planning on going in the morning for a while :thumbsup:

RoussetsShorts

hitting the gym at half 7 the night, should be dead with the fitba being on and i can get free choice of all the weights, yas!!! Better than watching an OF select sit with 10 men behind the baw being watched by a bunch o ******s with beer bellys and ill fitting kilts.

Creepy Lurker

Sit ups are great exercises for strengthening your core abs and hip flexors, using them with different weighted medicine balls can help tailor the type of results your looking for.

Sit ups (like any other muscle strengthening exercise) burn little calories and therefore will not help in burning fat from your belly, for an overweight person to achieve tight ab muscles you will need to combine a lot of cardio with the sit up exercises. Doing one or the other will not maximise the results your looking for, i.e. you may have tight ab muscles but they will be hidden under a layer of excess fat.

You seem like quite an angry person.

There are far better, less time consuming ways of improving your core than sit-ups. That's what I was getting at. By the way, it's perfectly possible to burn fat without doing a great deal of cardio: circuit training and bodyweight complexes will do the trick, although cardio is very useful. A healthy diet is also more important than exercise (although both are needed). You're correct about the need to burn fat, but I'm not really sure of why you're telling me this like it's something I've denied.

I'm sure that the guy would've mentioned it if he'd been talking about weighted sit-ups or sit-ups using gym balls, he'd have said so. Compound lifts and abs moves such as planks, hanging leg raises and abs wheels are far more useful in developing core strength and abs muscles than sit-ups.

You seem like quite an angry person.

There are far better, less time consuming ways of improving your core than sit-ups. That's what I was getting at. By the way, it's perfectly possible to burn fat without doing a great deal of cardio: circuit training and bodyweight complexes will do the trick, although cardio is very useful. A healthy diet is also more important than exercise (although both are needed). You're correct about the need to burn fat, but I'm not really sure of why you're telling me this like it's something I've denied.

I'm sure that the guy would've mentioned it if he'd been talking about weighted sit-ups or sit-ups using gym balls, he'd have said so. Compound lifts and abs moves such as planks, hanging leg raises and abs wheels are far more useful in developing core strength and abs muscles than sit-ups.

You wont like me when im angry, CL.

You should just of said what you typed above, then the guy would of understood where you were coming from and it would of helped him. What folk on this thread would of taken away from your comment would of been doing do sit ups was pointless.

I understand you might of been busy and didnt have time to clarify your point - after all its only a messageboard, but then i think it would be better to say nothing rather than say - and i quote

" sit ups weely weely arent that useful" <---- That is false information imo.

A couple of people on this thread have already complained that there is so much conflicting information when it comes to cardio/weight training, so it is a bug bear when people dont clarify - call it nit picking if you want.

I actually agree with what you say, but disagree that sit ups arent useful. I think you miss the point about me mentioning weighted sit-ups. I mentioned that as it might not be something he had not thought about and to help him with his programme as is the spirit of this thread not to get one over you.

Edited by scott_jambo

All right guys

I've been going to the Gym since the beginning of September (took up Edinburgh Leisures no joining fee offer).

Piled on the weight over the last few years (kids and giving up smoking took their toll) but I've decided it's time to fight back.... 17 1/2 stone, 6ft tall and 48 years old at the end of this month but I can now do 5km on the treadmill in 31 minutes (which I'm quite pleased with tbh although it's not made any difference to my weight)

Whilst I have been swimming, jogging and cycling over the last few years I've not been that serious about it although it's given me a "reasonable" level of fitness despite my weight. I'm now cutting back on the booze and going for a healthier diet with the intention of losing a fair bit of weight, but I'm not 21 anymore so realise it'll be quite a struggle. I've decided the best approach is to supplement the healthy diet with some exercise.

So what do you guys reckon is best for general health - Should I up the speed or up the distance on the treadmill? (Have to admit, I do have a personal preference for the cardiovascular stuff). Also, I've started taking an interest in the weights due to this thread - so have I picked it up right? (3 sets of 15 reps (or to failure) is best for weight loss). I'm finding the weights quite hard going to be honest - am I overdoing it for a beginner?

Any suggestions appreciated.

All right guys

I've been going to the Gym since the beginning of September (took up Edinburgh Leisures no joining fee offer).

Piled on the weight over the last few years (kids and giving up smoking took their toll) but I've decided it's time to fight back.... 17 1/2 stone, 6ft tall and 48 years old at the end of this month but I can now do 5km on the treadmill in 31 minutes (which I'm quite pleased with tbh although it's not made any difference to my weight)

Whilst I have been swimming, jogging and cycling over the last few years I've not been that serious about it although it's given me a "reasonable" level of fitness despite my weight. I'm now cutting back on the booze (although not tonight - I'm enjoying a few light refreshments as I type) and going for a healthier diet with the intention of losing a fair bit of weight, but I'm not 21 anymore so realise it'll be quite a struggle. I've decided the best approach is to supplement the healthy diet with some exercise.

So what do you guys reckon is best for general health - Should I up the speed or up the distance on the treadmill? (Have to admit, I do have a personal preference for the cardiovascular stuff). Also, I've started taking an interest in the weights due to this thread - so have I picked it up right? (3 sets of 15 reps (or to failure) is best for weight loss). I'm finding the weights quite hard going to be honest - am I overdoing it for a beginner?

Creepy Lurker

You wont like me when im angry, CL.

You should just of said what you typed above, then the guy would of understood where you were coming from and it would of helped him. What folk on this thread would of taken away from your comment would of been doing do sit ups was pointless.

I understand you might of been busy and didnt have time to clarify your point - after all its only a messageboard, but then i think it would be better to say nothing rather than say - and i quote

" sit ups weely weely arent that useful" <---- That is false information imo.

A couple of people on this thread have already complained that there is so much conflicting information when it comes to cardio/weight training, so it is a bug bear when people dont clarify - call it nit picking if you want.

I actually agree with what you say, but disagree that sit ups arent useful. I think you miss the point about me mentioning weighted sit-ups. I mentioned that as it might not be something he had not thought about and to help him with his programme as is the spirit of this thread not to get one over you.

As far as what you started out saying goes, I agree: my comment looked a bit smug and know-it-all-but-not-telling-youish.

As far as sit-ups go, though, I stand by what I said. In the context of abs exercises, I think that there are so many exercises which are so much better than sit-ups that I was justified in saying that they really, really aren't that useful (as, judging by what he posted, they're the only abs exercises that he's doing).

All right guys

Whilst I have been swimming, jogging and cycling over the last few years I've not been that serious about it although it's given me a "reasonable" level of fitness despite my weight. I'm now cutting back on the booze and going for a healthier diet with the intention of losing a fair bit of weight, but I'm not 21 anymore so realise it'll be quite a struggle. I've decided the best approach is to supplement the healthy diet with some exercise.

As far as cardio goes, if you've got a decent base of fitness anyway then I'd say high intensity interval training might be the way to go. Basically, this is any training regime which involves short bursts of going at a rate which really tires you, followed by a 'rest' period (which doesn't usually mean resting completely, unless you're sprinting flat out during the quick spells) in which you allow your heartrate to slow down a bit again. The length of the rests and how and where you choose to do the training is really up to you, but when I'm doing it I usually just go up a hill and do 30 second sprints uphill followed by two minute jogs downhill. If you're able to manage any more than 15 minutes of that, either the hill isn't steep enough or you should be upping the speed. The odd longer run's still useful in terms of maintaining a solid base, though: in fact, you'll find yourself improving that base and getting much better stamina if you mix long, steady state cardio with regular HIIT.

As far as the weights go, the sets and reps sound about right but you might be overdoing it if you're using too heavy a weight (the golden rule for anyone is that it's better to get your form right - ie, lift in the correct fashion - than impress others with a heavy lift) or focussing too hard on one muscle group. If you're in any way unconfident, you'd be well advised to get someone with experience and preferably qualifications to write up a programme for you.

Guest John Meurig Thomas

I'm still struggling with shin splints. ******* agony. I've changed shoes, avoided hard surfaces and now my shins just randomly hurt when I'm walking, which is worrying. I've done all the things the doctor said when I mentioned it to him in passing a few months ago (ibuprofen, ice) and it's still not letting up.

I suppose it's time to visit the doc again, then? Or will it be pointless?

Edit - I've also noticed my shins start to hurt after I've been driving any longer than an hour, ie I'm working my shins a lot on the clutch etc so even the slightest movements are getting painful.

Edited by John Meurig Thomas

I'm still struggling with shin splints. ******* agony. I've changed shoes, avoided hard surfaces and now my shins just randomly hurt when I'm walking, which is worrying. I've done all the things the doctor said when I mentioned it to him in passing a few months ago (ibuprofen, ice) and it's still not letting up.

Edit - I've also noticed my shins start to hurt after I've been driving any longer than an hour, ie I'm working my shins a lot on the clutch etc so even the slightest movements are getting painful.

The first answer is it's probably not shin splints in the strictly medical sense.

The second answer is go and see a physio or sports masseuse.

I had the same problem when I got back into running last year - and it turned out to be that the connective tissue on the front of my shins was too tight (for want of a better explanation -- essentially the calf muscles were expanding/pumped from the running and pulling everything tighter from the back... which in turn meant the thin muscles/connective tissue on the was were getting stretched and torn when I was running). If you feel down the front of your leg and most of the pain is around the 'ridges' on your shins (running down from about four inches below your knee to your ankle) then it's probably that.

The sports masseuse basically loosened it all off and helped break up some of the knottier connective bits - primarily by raking merry **** out of the ridges on the front of my leg with his knuckle. It hurt like b8ggery at the time, but worked a treat after a couple of sessions.

If it is shin splints, one way of self diagnosing is to run your thumb along the inside of your shin and press where the bone meets the soft tissue you have to press quite firmly, probably better to get someone else to do it because when you hit the spot you might end up punching yourself and we wouldn't want that. My physio who i saw pressed on one of these areas and i just about hit the roof, I had to thank her in the end though, she got me through the Edinburgh marathon last year after 6 weeks of pain.

Only cure if it is shin splints is complete rest for 4-6 weeks, then a gradual re introduction to light jogging.

I'm off to aviemore this weekend for a Half marathon, been before and would highly recommend it.

Good luck.

I P Knightley

All right guys

I've been in a similar predicament to you: a bit taller & a bit heavier and not far short of your age.

I cycle to and from work most days but realised that I was using that exercise as an excuse to get torn into any manner of food and booze I liked. Middle of August, I took the plunge to make my cycling part of a calorie controlled diet. I may have upped the effort on the cycling a little bit, pushing it a bit harder but the main thing has been the change in diet.

Although I wasn't a beer monster, I'd have my moments and have cut right back. Probably only about 2 or 3 nights on the foamy brown since August (but a few glasses of wine instead). No snacks - maybe the odd bit of fruit. Salad lunches and dinner (cracking mixed salads with pulses & seeds as well as the usual veg & chicken). Porridge in the morning. Nothing faddish or fancy and most definitely no visits to a gym to hang out with the lycra clad, musclebound queerhawks gazing at themselves in the mirror :)

I had a week's holiday in the middle there where I indulged a little bit more but just over a week ago, I sent two suits into the tailors to have 2 inches taken in on the waist and I treated myself to a pair of 36 inch waist jeans the other week when, earlier in the summer, I'd been wrestling with the notion of giving in to 40 inch ones instead of continuing the hunt for very generous 38s. I don't weigh myself but reckon I've lost at least 10kg.

So - whatever the exercise is, make sure that you address the diet issue first.

I have to agree with all the guys telling you to go to the physio, I went to a guy on Henderson Row, hurt like hell, but he also reintroduced me to running, telling me how far/long I coud run for each week so I didn't overdo it, got a load of exersises off him too.

Creepy Lurker

I've been in a similar predicament to you: a bit taller & a bit heavier and not far short of your age.

I cycle to and from work most days but realised that I was using that exercise as an excuse to get torn into any manner of food and booze I liked. Middle of August, I took the plunge to make my cycling part of a calorie controlled diet. I may have upped the effort on the cycling a little bit, pushing it a bit harder but the main thing has been the change in diet.

Although I wasn't a beer monster, I'd have my moments and have cut right back. Probably only about 2 or 3 nights on the foamy brown since August (but a few glasses of wine instead). No snacks - maybe the odd bit of fruit. Salad lunches and dinner (cracking mixed salads with pulses & seeds as well as the usual veg & chicken). Porridge in the morning. Nothing faddish or fancy and most definitely no visits to a gym to hang out with the lycra clad, musclebound queerhawks gazing at themselves in the mirror :)

I had a week's holiday in the middle there where I indulged a little bit more but just over a week ago, I sent two suits into the tailors to have 2 inches taken in on the waist and I treated myself to a pair of 36 inch waist jeans the other week when, earlier in the summer, I'd been wrestling with the notion of giving in to 40 inch ones instead of continuing the hunt for very generous 38s. I don't weigh myself but reckon I've lost at least 10kg.

So - whatever the exercise is, make sure that you address the diet issue first.

I don't want to seem like a **** about this (scott_jambo might get me :(), but the no snacks thing is totally wrong. Ideally, you should be eating six times a day, with smaller meals and snacks in between. This keeps your metabolism going more quickly, which will actually help you - much as it might seem counter-intuitive - to burn more fat. Obviously, the snacks have to be healthy ones; fruit, as you've mentioned, is a very good one, but so are things like nuts (although these are high in fat, they're good types of fat which won't cause you to store fat), natural yoghurt, oatcakes, etc. You can actually make some pretty delicious snacks out of ingredients like these, ones which - for my money, at least - taste better than any sweets. Right now, I'm eating ricecakes spread with natural peanut butter (ie, 100% peanut, no added sugars or salts) and tomato. Without wanting to seem like a smug ****, I eat seven times a day on gym days and have a 28 inch waist.

You're spot on, though, that diet is more important in terms of fat burning than exercise (although both are necessary).

Edit: why does a word which looks very like 'twit' get censored on here? Overkill.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

I try to follow this routine for eating in reference to building muscle:

1) Eat breakfast as soon as possible when you get up.

2) Eat around your training, have something easy on the stomach in the hours/minutes before training. Load up on food after starting with some liquid and when you get your breath back and have cooled down get a load of solid food in as well.

3) Have 2-3 other whole food meals

4) Eat most real foods.

5) Snack on nuts, seeds and dried fruit maybe add in a weight gainer.

6) 30g Cheap plain Whey protein.

7) Drink lots of Water or milk.

Eat, eat and eat. Combine this with a basic full body workout 3x a week and you'll be big in no time.

I P Knightley

I don't want to seem like a **** about this (scott_jambo might get me :(), but the no snacks thing is totally wrong.

You didn't see the kind of snacks I was talking about. It's no coincidence that since the middle of August, Mars Confectionery and Maison du Pain have both seen an alarming slump in their share prices. :)

I eat seven times a day on gym days and have a 28 inch waist.

Put some chalk on your toes and you could have a part-time job as a snooker cue...

Konrad von Carstein

Disaster! :angry:

Think I've tweaked my aducter (the long muscle on the inside of your thigh ?) really pushed myself at the gym tonight, didn't notice any thing until I was getting changed for the sauna.

I have a bit of a weekeness there brought on by playing 5's through the pain barrier a few years ago...months of physio to sort it but my sub average 5's career was over.

I'm on holiday next week and the plan was to hit the gym each day to shock the system.

Hopefully it will ease off over tonight and tomorrow :(

I don't want to seem like a **** about this (scott_jambo might get me :(), but the no snacks thing is totally wrong. Ideally, you should be eating six times a day, with smaller meals and snacks in between. This keeps your metabolism going more quickly, which will actually help you - much as it might seem counter-intuitive - to burn more fat. Obviously, the snacks have to be healthy ones; fruit, as you've mentioned, is a very good one, but so are things like nuts (although these are high in fat, they're good types of fat which won't cause you to store fat), natural yoghurt, oatcakes, etc. You can actually make some pretty delicious snacks out of ingredients like these, ones which - for my money, at least - taste better than any sweets. Right now, I'm eating ricecakes spread with natural peanut butter (ie, 100% peanut, no added sugars or salts) and tomato. Without wanting to seem like a smug ****, I eat seven times a day on gym days and have a 28 inch waist.

You're spot on, though, that diet is more important in terms of fat burning than exercise (although both are necessary).

Edit: why does a word which looks very like 'twit' get censored on here? Overkill.

So what shape are you in then CL and what are you aiming for?

My weight is all over the place at the moment. Before I started doing this regularly (about 3 weeks ago now) I was about 13 1/2 stone (6 ft 3) weighed myself yesterday and I was up to 14.2. Went for a jog yesterday and today I'm sitting at 14! I'm aiming to get down to 13 or something like that but the thing is I really don't feel as if I've put on half a stone. If anything I feel as if I'm lighter! I've been doing next to no cardio in this time so reckon I need to start running more to keep my weight under control.

Are my scales broken or is this normal?!

Edited by Alan Partridge

Konrad von Carstein

My weight is all over the place at the moment. Before I started doing this regularly (about 3 weeks ago now) I was about 13 1/2 stone (6 ft 3) weighed myself yesterday and I was up to 14.2. Went for a jog yesterday and today I'm sitting at 14! I'm aiming to get down to 13 or something like that but the thing is I really don't feel as if I've put on half a stone. If anything I feel as if I'm lighter! I've been doing next to no cardio in this time so reckon I need to start running more to keep my weight under control.

Can't shed any light on the weight thing AP but cardio should be part of your weekly routine.

Could be you are developing your muscles and they weigh more than fat (I know you know this I'm not meaning to sound like a dick)

Can't shed any light on the weight thing AP but cardio should be part of your weekly routine.

Could be you are developing your muscles and they weigh more than fat (I know you know this I'm not meaning to sound like a dick)

:laugh: Aye they say you should avoid the scales when using weights but it's nice to see a bit of progress for motivation!

I usually play fives weekly and used to do a bit of running but I've had a problem with my knee for a while. It seems to be holding up after yesterdays run though and I managed to do squats tonight so hopefully I'll be able to up the cardio.

Hope yer injury is alright. :thumbsup:

Konrad von Carstein

:laugh: Aye they say you should avoid the scales when using weights but it's nice to see a bit of progress for motivation!

I usually play fives weekly and used to do a bit of running but I've had a problem with my knee for a while. It seems to be holding up after yesterdays run though and I managed to do squats tonight so hopefully I'll be able to up the cardio.

Hope yer injury is alright. :thumbsup:

Seems to have eased thankfully :thumbsup:

If you have a dodgy knee, try the X-trainer (no impact), takes a bit of getting used to, but burns a load of calories when you are pushing it.

Creepy Lurker

I'd say that I'm pretty well toned all over without being huge, which I'm happy with. What I'm actually aiming to do at the moment's burn off a bit of bodyfat, as I'm pretty happy with the shape that I'm in otherwise. I'm using a combination of weights and cardio to do this (a hard weights session will actually keep you burning fat for longer than cardio). What I'm doing specifically weights-wise at the moment's trying to build up my chest and back a bit whilst maintaining my other muscle groups at round about where I have them, but I'll be concentrating more on the core muscles soonish.

As far as weight goes, if you feel/look better then that'd probably be a better indicaor than what you weigh in at. There's absolutely no chance that you've put on that much muscle in three weeks - it'd be physically impossible - but I also highly doubt that you'll have put it on in fat either (I very much suspect that that'd be physically impossible too, although I don't know for certain). Are you weighing yourself at the same time of day each time? Weighing yourself at different times can make a pretty big difference, so I'd try picking a certain time on a certain day of the week and sticking to it if I were you.

If you're looking to lose weight, though, it's pretty much impossible to do so using weights alone, so I'd definitely try getting a decent amount of cardio in there.

Snake Plissken

A fairly mediocre return to the gym today, I was out with a cold for a few days and I never go in at weekends so this was my first session in about 6 days.

Another lunchtime run, varying from 12-14.5 km/h and gradient of 1-2 for 20 minutes. Nowhere near the levels I usually hit but the important thing was getting back into it before not going became habit. I'll be back in this evening to hit the weights.

How good are squats btw?

I still can't walk properly from Friday. :laugh:

Worked my legs hard again today so we'll see what sort of condition I'm in for a run!

Snake Plissken

How good are squats btw?

I still can't walk properly from Friday. :laugh:

Worked my legs hard again today so we'll see what sort of condition I'm in for a run!

The king of exercises AP, as Arnie said back in the day.

I'd wait until you were fully recovered before working the same group again, it's during your off-time you make all of your gains. Not saying don't work out, just that you should work on different things until you're back to 100%.

I hit an full-body workout last night after my, fairly crap, lunchtime run and it will be a lunchtime workout focusing on core work today with no weights tonight. Depending on how I feel, I may squeeze in a jog tonight.

I P Knightley

Ha! I'm the same height and if I'm less than 17 1/2 stone, it'll be a feckin party.

I get the concept though of heavy-heavy and light-heavy. Building the muscles makes you heavier but also makes it easier for you to exercise. Get the balance right and you, too, could grow into the fine specimen of a man that I've become.

As for your knees - get the buggers checked properly, otherwise, you could turn into the physical wreck of a man that I've become. Various dints and bashes to my knee and I've always worked through them. 3 years ago, it got pretty niggly and I had medical cover at work so decided to go for the arthroscope. Came to and the doc told me that I didn't have a cartilage problem because I didn't have a cartilage. Reckons that on one of my dints, I tore it a little and gradually (through 5s, tennis & walking) the whole effing thing wore away.