Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Simple and effective plan....

1. Get personal trainer. Do one hour-long session per week.

2. Get said personal trainer to construct a programme based on your specific requirements that you can do on your own at the gym.

Job done. Works for me. :thumbsup:

Therapist, he is not much of a personal trainer if he constructs a programme that you can do on your own in the gym - the most impersonal personal trainer i have heard of! I would stop paying him as he is clearly stealing your extremely hard-earned pennies.

Are you sureone of the trainers in the gym didnt just give you a mandatory gym induction and write out a training programme specific to your needs?

Therapist, he is not much of a personal trainer if he constructs a programme that you can do on your own in the gym - the most impersonal personal trainer i have heard of! I would stop paying him as he is clearly stealing your extremely hard-earned pennies.

Are you sureone of the trainers in the gym didnt just give you a mandatory gym induction and write out a training programme specific to your needs?

You've got the wrong end of the stick.

I do an excellent one hour session with him once a week at his gym.

To keep things on the boil, he also gives me a complementary programme that I can do on my own at Loyds.

Edited by Therapist

You've got the wrong end of the stick.

I do an excellent one hour session with him once a week at his gym.

To keep things on the boil, he also gives me a complementary programme that I can do on my own at Loyds.

Thats pretty cool, tbh. How much does he charge?

Not a fan of lloyds though. Im guessing you get a discount from work or something however.

I remember Allan's last thread, it's a shame it got lost. So I echo Beats on this one Dexter...

I reckon this would be good as a sticky.Keep us motivated.Good for asking questions etc.

Do the thing Dexter please :thumbsup:

I've never been a gym or weights kinda person, but I was always a keen runner. Just prefer my iPod, my own space and getting outta the urban sprawl to do it!

I'd let things slip badly for a bunch of reasons (health, lethargy, general miffed-with-life-ness) but I struggled around the Great North Run on Sunday for my 11th time, which was also my slowest. It's given me a bit of impetus to keep it going and sort everything else out, so plan to run about 7 to 10 miles a week from now. I've already done my 7 since Sunday.

It'll keep my diabetic consultant and dietician off my case - he wants my weight down to under 12st and my BMI down to 22/23.

When winter kicks in proper, I think the motivation to run by the canal will waver - will be good for me to keep an eye on this and see what you lot do in the gym, maybe even copy

Konrad von Carstein

Thats pretty cool, tbh. How much does he charge?

Not a fan of lloyds though. Im guessing you get a discount from work or something however.

I used to be a member of lloyds and thought it was superb, currently a member of Greens <_< (it is just 100 yards from my front door though).

Greens have independant PT's and if memory serves they are approx ?40 to ?50 a session so that would be a ballpark figure for you to think about. .

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I run 10-11km four or five times a week on the treadmill and do sit-ups, other abs exercises and pull-ups.

To be honest, I've no idea if it's a good routine but it seems to have got me into okay shape. Quite interesting to read the comments about muscles developing when you rest. I always assumed that the more you went, the more toned you would get.

The nightmare for me is belly fat. I'm pretty thin but I cannot shift the flab around my belly button. Any suggestions?

I used to be a member of lloyds and thought it was superb, currently a member of Greens dry.gif (it is just 100 yards from my front door though).

Greens have independant PT's and if memory serves they are approx ?40 to ?50 a session so that would be a ballpark figure for you to think about. .

I preferred Marco's. Not got much time for the shiny gyms. I did a lot of my training in outdoor gyms in Asia with big industrial fans to cool you down, they would also make you protien shakes while you were working out and it was always run by this middle aged woman on her own, thats what I call service!

You felt more like Rocky so it motivated you, rather than feeling like your in a 3 star Ramada hotel in Livingston or such like.

Edited by scott_jambo

With regards to reps, here is the basic guide for weights:

Strength/toning/bulking up: 3 sets of 8 reps

Weight loss: 3 sets of 15 reps

Local muscle endurance: 3 sets of 25 reps

All should have some cardio built in too. No matter what your fitness goals, you want a combination.

On protein shakes. AP, you shouldn't take them unless you've been going to the gym for at least 6 months and do not need to lose any fat. A lot of people make the mistake of starting too early.

You really want to be at the stage where you are going 3-4 times a week and have done for months and are at a plateau with muscle gain and with a satisfactory body fat % before you get stuck in. I've seen many people undo all their hard work with regards to weight loss by getting stuck into the protein powder too early and too often. Remember, protein still has calories and they all need to be burned by the end of the day or they will be stored as fat!

On weight loss, I can't believe no-one has mentioned THE best way to lose weight. Swimming!

Here is my personal workout:

2000m row(as fast as possible). My record is 7min 19sec

I do 2 x 12 on most exercises

Leg Extension

Chest Press

Leg Curl

Shoulder Press

Leg Press

Upper Back

I then go on the smith machine and do heavy chest press weights, squats and pull-ups but balancing my feet on a swiss ball to work my upper back more.

I then do a core workout mixing swiss ball crunches, the plank and a couple of Pilates exercises before doing pyramid trainig on the biceps.

I'll then do a few lengths in the pool to cool down.

I deliberately miss out lat pulldowns and focus on upper back because I have a hunched shoulders which doesn't help the appearance of the man boobs. The workout is designed to correct that.

I alternate the above workout with a long endurance swim - usually 100 lengths of a 25m pool - although it could be anything between 64 and 128 (1 mile and 2 miles). That gives me a good aerobic workout (which is why I don't do too much cardio in the gym. It really bores me ut for some reason I can motivate myself in the pool).

When I'm fit and motivated (like before my recent holiday) I'll do gym, swim, day off, gym swim day off....) other times it's less often. I'll also go through spells of playing fives - I've not been doing that recently but I'll go back when my current routine gets boring.

With regards to the whole body vs muscle groups debate - it depends on your goals and how often you are going. I do whole body because I'm generally only in the gym about once every 5 days on average and my main goal is weight loss. If your main goal is muscle gain and you are going 4-5 times a week it is better to split the muscle groups.

I don't have any formal fitness qualifications but I have worked in the industry for almost 10 years and picked up a fair amount of knowledge.

There's basically all sorts that you can say about this...

I've not yet read the original thread, but it doesn't matter what kind of results you're looking for: you should always be starting with (comparatively) low weight / high rep training. That's how you prime your muscles to be able to respond once the load's increased. Don't just add weight for the sake of it so that you can feel manly: concentrate on getting your form right. Increase the weight gradually until you hit a plateau, then reduce the reps and continue the cycle.

You shouldn't allow your workout to stagnate: as well as varying your reps, change the lifts that you're doing at least every six weeks or so to keep gaining to the height of your potential. I work out using antagonistic supersets (back to back sets working opposite muscle groups), and vary both reps and lifts every two weeks whilst making sure that I'm still hitting all of the right muscle groups.

As far as diet goes, aim for six small meals (by which I really mean three small meals and three snacks) a day, taking on as much lean protein as possible. In addition to that, try to eat as soon as possible after finishing in the gym: after a weights session, I'll usually have a protein shake along with something along the lines of a natural peanut butter and banana sandwich on brown bread or a wholemeal bagel with cream cheese and tomato. On other days, I'll just have a banana and an orange.

As far as cardio goes, by all means go for a long jog every so often; it'll give you a good base of cardio fitness to work from. A far more effective way of training, though - both in terms of time and fitness - is high intensity interval training. Find a hill near where you live, go up there and spend (for example) fifteen minutes up there doing thirty second sprints uphill followed by two minute downhill jogs (that's just an example: HIIT is basically any regime which involves short bursts followed by longer 'rests'). This will increase your heartrate more, leading both to increased fat burn and better improvements in cardiovascular fitness.

As an aside, if you follow all of the advice in this thread then you'll probably be wanting to buy more weights pretty quickly...

As well as my resistance training, which I'm doing three times a week with a bit of HIIT at the end, I've also recently started Muay Thai. Now there's a good workout.

Yeah this is common. But an easy habit to get in to.

Guys tend to enjoy filling 't shirt muscles'.

I'm guilty of this myself at times.

I was squatting 120kg for 8 around 18 months ago. But I started getting really bad knee pain. It would stop me running for days. Sometimes couldn't walk right the next day. Got a family history of knee problems, my old man getting his replaced at only 50 for example. So had to knock it on the head. Not worth it...!

Resistance machines instead now. Which is a shame, squats are the king of exercises and my legs are certainly smaller than before.

Avoiding leg exercises and pumping your upper body will make your knees worse! More weight to bear and less strength to hold it up.

I got sore knees doing heavy squats on the smith machine so I switched to using heavy weights on the fixed leg press machine, then going back to the smith machine for the final set with a lighter weight. You need to keep up that squatting motion, even if you start off with zero weight, doing squats against a wall with a swiss ball between your back and the wall, then build up very slowly.

I run 10-11km four or five times a week on the treadmill and do sit-ups, other abs exercises and pull-ups.

To be honest, I've no idea if it's a good routine but it seems to have got me into okay shape. Quite interesting to read the comments about muscles developing when you rest. I always assumed that the more you went, the more toned you would get.

The nightmare for me is belly fat. I'm pretty thin but I cannot shift the flab around my belly button. Any suggestions?

Yup, weights

3 sets of 15 (increase the weight if you don't fail on the last set.

Work all the major muscle groups doing compound exercises.

With regards to reps, here is the basic guide for weights:

Strength/toning/bulking up: 3 sets of 8 reps

Weight loss: 3 sets of 15 reps

Local muscle endurance: 3 sets of 25 reps

All should have some cardio built in too. No matter what your fitness goals, you want a combination.

On protein shakes. AP, you shouldn't take them unless you've been going to the gym for at least 6 months and do not need to lose any fat. A lot of people make the mistake of starting too early.

You really want to be at the stage where you are going 3-4 times a week and have done for months and are at a plateau with muscle gain and with a satisfactory body fat % before you get stuck in. I've seen many people undo all their hard work with regards to weight loss by getting stuck into the protein powder too early and too often. Remember, protein still has calories and they all need to be burned by the end of the day or they will be stored as fat!

On weight loss, I can't believe no-one has mentioned THE best way to lose weight. Swimming!

Here is my personal workout:

2000m row(as fast as possible). My record is 7min 19sec

I do 2 x 12 on most exercises

Leg Extension

Chest Press

Leg Curl

Shoulder Press

Leg Press

Upper Back

I then go on the smith machine and do heavy chest press weights, squats and pull-ups but balancing my feet on a swiss ball to work my upper back more.

I then do a core workout mixing swiss ball crunches, the plank and a couple of Pilates exercises before doing pyramid trainig on the biceps.

I'll then do a few lengths in the pool to cool down.

I deliberately miss out lat pulldowns and focus on upper back because I have a hunched shoulders which doesn't help the appearance of the man boobs. The workout is designed to correct that.

I alternate the above workout with a long endurance swim - usually 100 lengths of a 25m pool - although it could be anything between 64 and 128 (1 mile and 2 miles). That gives me a good aerobic workout (which is why I don't do too much cardio in the gym. It really bores me ut for some reason I can motivate myself in the pool).

When I'm fit and motivated (like before my recent holiday) I'll do gym, swim, day off, gym swim day off....) other times it's less often. I'll also go through spells of playing fives - I've not been doing that recently but I'll go back when my current routine gets boring.

With regards to the whole body vs muscle groups debate - it depends on your goals and how often you are going. I do whole body because I'm generally only in the gym about once every 5 days on average and my main goal is weight loss. If your main goal is muscle gain and you are going 4-5 times a week it is better to split the muscle groups.

I don't have any formal fitness qualifications but I have worked in the industry for almost 10 years and picked up a fair amount of knowledge.

I agree with the part where you say you should take them if you don't need to loose any fat but the truth is it doesn't matter how long you've been working out for, you can take them at whatever stage you're at. All Whey Protein is just a way to get extra protein into your diet.

I agree with the part where you say you should take them if you don't need to loose any fat but the truth is it doesn't matter how long you've been working out for, you can take them at whatever stage you're at. All Whey Protein is just a way to get extra protein into your diet.

I say that mainly because a large % of people drop out after 2-3 months. Which makes the protein pretty much pointless, so it's best waiting to see if you hae the discipline to stick to the programme before buying loads. (I was perhaps being polite and not saying that too directly).

Whatever you do, don;t buy a huge bag of protein as a way of motivating yourself!

Yeah, most people drop out after a couple months cause they don't see results. But you need to keep it at for the long term to see results, it took me about 5 months before I started seeing real changes.

Right, Kickback - I pledge to you RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW that I, Acey, will run the Meadows half-marathon in 2011. It's not a big deal to you uber-fit dudes, I know, but it'd be a big deal for me.

Was doing well over the summer with a running routine (around Arthur's Seat - a 5 mile circuit), but have let it lapse over the past month. Combine that with my girlfriend coming back to the UK for a couple of weeks (she's a feeder), and a massive blow-out wedding in Dublin, and the moobs that'd disappeared have come back a wee bit! My diet's not bad at all (never have takeaways or buy sweets), but I love carbs so much... :( As long as I'm exercising to burn them off, then I always tend to drop weight. Need to get it off and keep it off before the mrs returns for good next year! :o

I like the sound of this - does anyone know how far along the Commie Pool is to re-opening? The website isn't very helpful. Will have to go to the Warrander Swim Centre in the evenings, I think.

Five months? Your diet must be atrocious.

As in REAL changes. I start noticing getting bigger after a couple of months but after 5 I looked completely different.

Ok all you superfit people... a little advice please.

I've been going to the gym three times a week for a few months now, some cardio some weights but as a feamle I don't want to bulk up just tighten up. However I want to jog but can't. I know that sounds stupid but honestly cross trainer, bikes, rowing machine is fine but if I start jogging literally within a couple of minutes my heart fells like it is about to explode out my chest. Can anyone help please.

As in REAL changes. I start noticing getting bigger after a couple of months but after 5 I looked completely different.

This thread is good for motivating each other and giving helpful advice.

Some people are hard-gainers and some people find it easier to see noticeable differences within smaller timeframes. As long as your reaching goals you have set yourself then that is the most important thing.

A more reasoned response from Creepy Lurker would of been - " It may be your diet that was the major issue, have you tried eating X and Y before and after workouts, also have you been adjusting your programme every so often to jolt your body into faster changes?".

Edited by scott_jambo

Konrad von Carstein

Ok all you superfit people... a little advice please.

I've been going to the gym three times a week for a few months now, some cardio some weights but as a feamle I don't want to bulk up just tighten up. However I want to jog but can't. I know that sounds stupid but honestly cross trainer, bikes, rowing machine is fine but if I start jogging literally within a couple of minutes my heart fells like it is about to explode out my chest. Can anyone help please.

Not that I am superfit....but....I too struggled with the treadmill at first like you my chest felt like it was going to explode.

For me it was about persevering, find a pace that you can maintain for say 10 minutes, then weekly increase the time until you are doing say 15-18 mins comfortably. at this point raise the pace slightly and aim for the 15-18 mins again (you may not make it but complete the time even at a reduced pace). Once you manage the 20 mins at the higher pace extend the time ALWAYS complete the time even if this means reducing the pace during the session. Eventually you should be able to run a decent pace for 25-30 mins.

I speak/type as someone who (a few years ago) was exactly like you to someone who ran 5K in 22 mins.

Unfortunately I have slipped due to one thing and another but am starting from the beginning again.

Good luck.

Not that I am superfit....but....I too struggled with the treadmill at first like you my chest felt like it was going to explode.

For me it was about persevering, find a pace that you can maintain for say 10 minutes, then weekly increase the time until you are doing say 15-18 mins comfortably. at this point raise the pace slightly and aim for the 15-18 mins again (you may not make it but complete the time even at a reduced pace). Once you manage the 20 mins at the higher pace extend the time ALWAYS complete the time even if this means reducing the pace during the session. Eventually you should be able to run a decent pace for 25-30 mins.

I speak/type as someone who (a few years ago) was exactly like you to someone who ran 5K in 22 mins.

Unfortunately I have slipped due to one thing and another but am starting from the beginning again.

Good luck.

Thanks for the help... back at the gym tomorrow so we will see how I get on.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Good luck.

Good advice. I did the same - started at 15 minutes on the treadmill and worked it up to an hour over over weeks and months.

Konrad von Carstein

Post for lmitch: just done 30 mins on treadmill loosely based as I described earlier (it's been a while since I ran for 30 minutes non stop).

Started at about 7.5K/hr for a couple of minutes, then upped it to 9.5K/hr, long story short, I ended up doing 4.2 K at an average pacce of 8.5 K/hr. This included walking briskly when I thought my heart was going to burst out of my chest "Alien style".

For me now it's about doing the 30 mins but upping the average pace until I'm doing circa 10Km/hr (or more) for the 30 minutes.

Best of luck with your attempts.

Love the gym, put together my own programme with the help of a gym instructor mate and mens health magazine! Fits perfectly around my lifestyle.

Mon- Chest. Do Bench, Incline, decline and cable cross-overs. By far my favourite session of the week.

Wed - Biceps and triceps.

Fri after work - Back and shoulders

Sat Morning - Legs plus non weight upper body stuff ie. wide arm pull ups, pull ups, dips, press ups.

Throw in 5s once or twice a week and the odd bit of tennis/road running and i like to think i'm in excellent shape on the whole.

Only thing i find incredibly frustrating is that i'm quite "small boned" - i've gone to the gym for years and years (not always as religiously as now but ive been lifting weights on and off since i was 16 and im now 23 and while im slightly toned im not as muscly as i'd like to be- some of us just aren't meant to be which is annoying!

Edited by loveofthegame

Post for lmitch: just done 30 mins on treadmill loosely based as I described earlier (it's been a while since I ran for 30 minutes non stop).

Started at about 7.5K/hr for a couple of minutes, then upped it to 9.5K/hr, long story short, I ended up doing 4.2 K at an average pacce of 8.5 K/hr. This included walking briskly when I thought my heart was going to burst out of my chest "Alien style".

For me now it's about doing the 30 mins but upping the average pace until I'm doing circa 10Km/hr (or more) for the 30 minutes.

Best of luck with your attempts.

Was unable to get to the gym on Monday night due to having to work late :verymad: then pick my dad but was back last night. I have to admit it is an ongoing battle with myself to go to the gym, I literally argue with myself the whole way home from work but I get there and I always enjoy it when I am there.

Last night I came to conclusion that I can't 'jog' I seem to always run. I was already really struggling at 5 minutes when I noticed I was running at a pace of 8k/hr. Your advice popped into my head so reduced it to 7 and don't get me wrong I thought I was about to fall off the treadmill by the end but I got there... just. Maybe it didn't help that I'd already done twenty minutes on both the cross trainer and bike.

Thanks for your help and good luck with getting upto 10k/hr.

Love the gym, put together my own programme with the help of a gym instructor mate and mens health magazine! Fits perfectly around my lifestyle.

Mon- Chest. Do Bench, Incline, decline and cable cross-overs. By far my favourite session of the week.

Wed - Biceps and triceps.

Fri after work - Back and shoulders

Sat Morning - Legs plus non weight upper body stuff ie. wide arm pull ups, pull ups, dips, press ups.

Throw in 5s once or twice a week and the odd bit of tennis/road running and i like to think i'm in excellent shape on the whole.

Only thing i find incredibly frustrating is that i'm quite "small boned" - i've gone to the gym for years and years (not always as religiously as now but ive been lifting weights on and off since i was 16 and im now 23 and while im slightly toned im not as muscly as i'd like to be- some of us just aren't meant to be which is annoying!

I dont buy into this not being muscley and it's not meant to be malarky.

From reading your post , the following changes over a 3 month period would soon sort you out.

1. Do less cardio.

2. Eat more.

3. Lift heavier. (Inc negative reps, get a spot, do drop sets)

4. Do shoulders and back on different days. (Back is a HUGE muscle group).

Edited by Sten Guns

I like the sound of this - does anyone know how far along the Commie Pool is to re-opening? The website isn't very helpful. Will have to go to the Warrander Swim Centre in the evenings, I think.

I reckon swimming might be the way forward as well. :thumbsup:

I did the Edinburgh 10k at the start of the year but have let my fitness slip a little bit since then. I want to get fit enough for a half marathon as well and probably another 10k before that. But I think Im just going to put off going jogging 3-4 times a week when we get into the depths of winter. Swimming might be the ideal way to keep fitness up when going running in the pitch dark doesnt appeal. :ermm:

Snake Plissken

There's fewer feelings more satisfying than a good workout.

I hit the gym just about every lunchtime and 2-3 times after work per week. I tend to make my lunchtime workouts intense cardio sessions - sometimes I'll go for speed, sometimes I'll go for incline. I achieved a personal goal the other week when I maintained 16km/h for 20 minutes. It was very dfficult to maintain once I got to the 10 minute mark but I held on through sheer force of will and felt invincible afterwards.

I'm an all-rounder where fitness is concerned, my cardio is probably stronger but I can bench my bodyweight for 10-12 reps and squat twice my weight. I'm not huge but I could never be with the cardio training I do. I see guys in the gym who have huge upper bodies but pipe cleaner legs and would probably drop dead after 5 minutes on the treadmill. I wouldn't win a marathon but I could finish one, I wouldn't place in a strongman competition but I can do some respectable weights.

I worked for two year in fitness but while I tired of it for a variety of reasons, I never lost my own personal motivation. I've found that I'm actually fitter now than I was in the gym days and I think that's because I've actually got time to rest.

Sometimes I'd feel a little run-down after teaching classes all day and I could never go 100% in them and by the end of the shift I wouldn't be able to put in a really good workout. It's worth remembering that you don't gain muscle dduring your workout, you gain it afterwards while resting. Muscular hypertrophy occurs while the muscle is 'repairing' itself after a workout.

This is why it's a good idea to have a few rest days in week and it's also why you shouldn't have back-to-back workouts on the same muscle group. I would also highly recommend working your legs if you want to gain muscle - squats and deadlifts are two of the best compound exercises you can do.

The People's Chimp

My biggest problem, a love of massive bowls of pasta, beer and wine aside, is my work schedule. I can be in the office til, 7.30, 8 o'clock and by that time it's difficult to motivate for a couple of reasons; one being that I'm tired and it's late, the other being that I'd end up eating my tea at the back of ten once all's said and done. That's not good at all for someone who likes pasta. rolleyes.gif

I play football once a week - as my other game has stopped but should restart asap, and after a lengthy 4/5 month lay off am back at the gym. Finding time is the real problem for me. So, any advice from people in a similar situation? Be that in finding a short sharp work out I can fit in around 10-12 hour shifts in office, or whatever...

You can't beat a quick vegetable and beef/pork/chicken stir fry post gym, but after a long day in the office the temptation is to reach for the tins of tomatoes, fusilli and block of cheese...

My biggest problem, a love of massive bowls of pasta, beer and wine aside, is my work schedule. I can be in the office til, 7.30, 8 o'clock and by that time it's difficult to motivate for a couple of reasons; one being that I'm tired and it's late, the other being that I'd end up eating my tea at the back of ten once all's said and done. That's not good at all for someone who likes pasta. rolleyes.gif

I play football once a week - as my other game has stopped but should restart asap, and after a lengthy 4/5 month lay off am back at the gym. Finding time is the real problem for me. So, any advice from people in a similar situation? Be that in finding a short sharp work out I can fit in around 10-12 hour shifts in office, or whatever...

You can't beat a quick vegetable and beef/pork/chicken stir fry post gym, but after a long day in the office the temptation is to reach for the tins of tomatoes, fusilli and block of cheese...

Depending on distance to work and changing/shower facilities, have you considered cycling to work 2-3 times a week?

The People's Chimp

Depending on distance to work and changing/shower facilities, have you considered cycling to work 2-3 times a week?

I'd like to be able to, but it's just not really feasible. Currently got a bike project on the go though, which conn artist has been advising me on.

Drunkn_Munky_Nat

I work 10 hour nightshifts and im finding it hard to get into a routine at the gym, been trying to go 2 - 3 afternoons a week for an hour or so and can feel the benefits of going, my downfall is that im eating during the night (even though its just cereal and yoghurts), I have cereal when i get up and pasta is a normal tea for me. All my work in the gym so far is cardio, treadmill, crosstrainer, bikes so id say if you can fit the time in then try for 15-20mins on each of they machines.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Still sticking with my 3 full body workouts a week (only been 2 weeks mind you!)

Last night was the first time I've felt what I'm lifting is too easy and moved it up a decent weight. Quite chuffed about that and the progress has helped spur me on!

Going to try and get it for a wee 5km jog today and see how my knee is. Not too optimistic though.

Stick in lads. :thumbsup:

Edited by Alan Partridge

Snake Plissken

A ball-busting run this lunchtime.

20 minutes (with two slow minutes either side of it to warm up/cool down)

First ten was a gradual climb in gradient from 2.0 - 10.0 with a moderate pace of 12 km/h, at the top end it feels like wading through sand. I then had a few minutes with the gradient at 1.0 and upped the pace slightly to 13 km/h. Sped it up for the last five finishing on 19.2 km/h flat-out for the final minute - I was horsed by the end of it.

452 kcal burned, some way short of my >500 records (although that took closer to 22/23 minutes)but this was more about the climb than the pace. Best way to spend a lunch hour by far.

Konrad von Carstein

Just trying to get my erse into gear to go across to Greens now... <_<:lol:

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

Not long back from the gym.

Done 10 mins on the bike and 20 on the treadmill and 10 back on the bike.

Pretty messed.Going to go the rest of the week.I'm getting into the bad habit of going 5/6 times a week then leaving it for a couple of weeks and struggling when I go back.

I'm 3.30 am till 12.30 this week so no excuse not to go.

Also walked the dog for about a hour earlier.

It all helps :thumbsup:

PS: Mods Sticky Please.

Konrad von Carstein

I too am not long back,

12k on bike, Russian twists followed by crunches on the swiss ball then 5 minutes on the treadmill at slightly faster than an easy jog.

45 mins in all 604 calories :)

Found the one thing that pisses me off more than forgetting my flip flops for going to the sauna and that is forgetting clean undies :angry:

Oh and I echo the cal for a stickie :thumbsup:

The People's Chimp

Out the office at 8, home in time to cobble together curry with a load of veggies, spinach and chick peas into a casserole then the oven, leave it and get out to the gym for about 8.40ish, and managed to get a not bad session in given how late it was etc.

Bit of running, bit of cross trainer and then around the resistance machines and back out by half 9.

Not bad given the urge was to just cook my tea and not bother, but it was a pretty pathetic session in the greater run of things.

Konrad von Carstein

Out the office at 8, home in time to cobble together curry with a load of veggies, spinach and chick peas into a casserole then the oven, leave it and get out to the gym for about 8.40ish, and managed to get a not bad session in given how late it was etc.

Bit of running, bit of cross trainer and then around the resistance machines and back out by half 9.

Not bad given the urge was to just cook my tea and not bother, but it was a pretty pathetic session in the greater run of things.

I use a heart rate monitor at the gym and always aim to burn minimum 400 calories (but aim for 500+) doing this kind of gives me some incentive to "go for it at the gym".

Unfortunately my attendance at the gym has been erratic to say the least lately <_<

Drunkn_Munky_Nat

After a good few workouts at the gym last week Im absolutely toiling this week and havent been once, partially due to feeling a bit under the weather with constant headaches since Friday and now earache...! :down: Dying to get back into a routine again but reckon this week I'll need to give it a miss and start a fresh again next week when im back to feeling 100% hopefully :thumbsup:

Edited by Drunkn_Munky_Nat

tommythejambo

Was back at the gym yesterday for the first time in a good few weeks, really struggled to get anything going over the summer, despite having football training twice a week I felt like I wasn't doing enough.<BR><BR>Did 20 minutes on the cross trainer. Starting at 30 resistance and upping the resistance by one every minute and the gradient by 1 every 5. Done 10 minutes on the bike, going as hard as I could for a minute then a minute easier, 10 minutes running then beasted the leg weights, meant to be playing football tonight but I am struggling to walk.

Snake Plissken

Deadlifts were on the menu this lunchtime.

I started out with a couple minutes on the treadmill as it looked like the bars had been taken, I got about 4 minutes in when one freed up. I was ding 14 km/h so quite a nippy pace to warm-up.

I did a few clean & presses at 60kg to get the blood pumping, then proceeded to put in 5 sets of deadlifts from 60kg-85kg. I did some work on the traps and lower back to round off the workout. I haven't done deadlifts in a while and I already felt a bit sore going up the stairs and now I can feel it even more and by tomorrow my arse and legs are going to be killing me.

Shoulders, triceps and lats are still to be worked this week, I'll do some shoulder work tonight and address the latter two in the next couple of days.

Deadlifts were on the menu this lunchtime.

I started out with a couple minutes on the treadmill as it looked like the bars had been taken, I got about 4 minutes in when one freed up. I was ding 14 km/h so quite a nippy pace to warm-up.

I did a few clean & presses at 60kg to get the blood pumping, then proceeded to put in 5 sets of deadlifts from 60kg-85kg. I did some work on the traps and lower back to round off the workout. I haven't done deadlifts in a while and I already felt a bit sore going up the stairs and now I can feel it even more and by tomorrow my arse and legs are going to be killing me.

Shoulders, triceps and lats are still to be worked this week, I'll do some shoulder work tonight and address the latter two in the next couple of days.

Deadlifts are class. Gotta love the bench press though.

Konrad von Carstein

Terible, terrible "session" today :verymad:

Didn't even look at the heart rate monitor for calories burned...wasn;t in the right frame of mind but forced myself to go....was in the sauna after 20 minutes :(

RoussetsShorts

Been training hard the last two months on an Olympic lifting schedule. Have noticed massive power & endurance gain without the added bulk normally associated which has been a massive bonus. The clean pull, clean high pull and clean & jerk. Amazing fun learning the techniques and seeing your power go through the roof. Would encourage anybody who's fairly fit to give it a go as it does yer power and cardio in one when you do it intensely.

Can post the routines if anybody wants.

http://www.gymjones.com/

Gym Jones is not a cozy place. There are no televisions, no machines, no comfortable spot to sit (just plywood and diamond-plate), and there are no mirrors. The training is difficult. There are no shortcuts. Physical and psychological breakdowns occur. Our culture, dedicated to The Art of Suffering, is both safety net and inspiration. Individuals push hard and risk more alongside trustworthy peers

Edited by RoussetsShorts