Top 6 - The Facts!

Statto

Rangers, Celtic, Hibs, Dundee United and Motherwell are guaranteed top-6 places barring a huge goal-difference swing and either of the latter two losing all 8 games between them.

Therefore, the final top-6 spot will go to either; Falkirk, Hearts, Aberdeen or Inverness CT.

The mid-league table looks like;

.............P..GD.Pts

6 Falkirk 30..-3..40

7 Hearts.30..-7..37

8 A?deen 30 -12 37

9 ICT......30 -14 33

The final 3 fixtures for each team are as follows;

Falkirk;

v Hearts Away

v Kilmarnock Home

v Aberdeen Away

Hearts;

v Falkirk Home

v Dundee United Home

v Kilmarnock Away

Aberdeen;

v St Mirren Home

v Inverness CT Away

v Falkirk Home

Inverness CT;

v Kilmarnock Away

v Aberdeen Home

v Gretna Away

Saturday is a MUST WIN for Hearts. If we win, we go level on points with Falkirk, if we win by 2 goals, we go level on goal difference.

If we look at the current form;

Falkirk?s only two wins in the last eight games have been against Caley Thistle in Inverness, the lowest ranked form team in the League and a 4-0 demolition of St Mirren in Falkirk, a team who haven?t won a game in their previous seven.

Hearts have the best form out of the four teams competing for the top-6 place. Five wins from eight sees them 4th in the best form in the SPL. Their only losses have came to the Old Firm, two teams above them in the form and a draw at St Mirren today.

Aberdeen have only won one game in the last eight, today against Gretna. They are currently the second-worse team in the SPL. Away from home, Aberdeen have only won three games from fifteen which will make the ICT game so difficult for both.

Inverness have only gained 2 points in the last eight games, draws against Dundee United and St Mirren. Although Inverness have one of the better home records of the SPL clubs, the majority of victories at home have come from earlier in the season. Gretna on the 5th of January was the last time the Caley fans seen a victory up north. Mathematically the can do it, but they have a seven point gap and a 12 goal swing against them, I cannot see them making it up, especially with only 9 points available.

If I had to make a prediction, as to how many points each team will win;

-I?d say Aberdeen will get 5 - a win at home to St Mirren and a draw in the next two.

-Inverness could get 5 as well - two draws and a win against Gretna.

-Falkirk could get 4 points - a win against Kilmarnock and the draw versus Aberdeen.

-I can see Hearts getting 7 points in the final three games - two home wins against Falkirk and Kilmarnock and a draw against Dundee United who are unbeaten in the last eight games (3 wins, 5 draws).

If this is the case, for the mathematics among us, it will go to GD between ourselves and Falkirk.

It is difficult for Hearts yes, but can you say it is going to be easy for any of the other teams? Falkirk are playing two teams in this battle, they have the points advantage but they aren?t getting the points against the middle teams. Aberdeen with their goal difference pretty much have a 4 point gap to catch up and Inverness are near enough impossible.

It?s going to be interesting over the coming few weeks...

Its going to be tight as a ….. ( insert own euphemism )…..

The one thing in our favour is we play Falkirk and thus have a chance to beat then and Falkirk have to play she Sheep as well….. The thing that makes me think we wont make it is that we have to play Dundee Utd…………

However still, by the skin of our teeth its in our own hands thanks to king Miko :o)

http://scotsport.podbean.com

Fourcandles
Its going to be tight as a ?.. ( insert own euphemism )?..

The one thing in our favour is we play Falkirk and thus have a chance to beat then and Falkirk have to play she Sheep as well?.. The thing that makes me think we wont make it is that we have to play Dundee Utd????

However still, by the skin of our teeth its in our own hands thanks to king Miko :o)

We are garbage and dont deserve it. We are a disgrace to the famous maroon jerseys proudly and lovingly worn by so many committed men throught the years.

Even discussing how we might scrape into the top 6 is demeaning.

We are garbage and dont deserve it. We are a disgrace to the famous maroon jerseys proudly and lovingly worn by so many committed men throught the years.

Do you think Aberdeen (only won 1 in 8 and that was against Gretna) FC deserve it?

Any team that deserves something, usually gets it. That is why Motherwell and Hibs etc are guarenteed the top-6, because they deserve it.

If we manage to pull this off, that will mean we deserve it. At the end of the day, we would have got the results when it mattered. Surely then you can say we deserve the top-6.

Maybe so. But, for whatever reason, you can't be up every season. Regardless of reason a club like us is always going to have bad times. When those times come across you need to look at what you can salvage, what the aim should be to keep us going to the end of the season. If you don't do that then what's the point?

Do you think Aberdeen (only won 1 in 8 and that was against Gretna) FC deserve it?

Any team that deserves something, usually gets it. That is why Motherwell and Hibs etc are guarenteed the top-6, because they deserve it.

If we manage to pull this off, that will mean we deserve it. At the end of the day, we would have got the results when it mattered. Surely then you can say we deserve the top-6.

Excellent point.

Why are we less deserving than Aberdeen, Inverness or Falkirk?

Surely the team that finish with the highest amount of points deserve it?

The point in a league table, no?

Clerry Jambo

.............so Falkirk is our Cup Final:rolleyes:

My god I despair even thinking about our Toap 6 make or break game on saturday........but no doubt I will toddle along after a few beers and hope for a result:(

:107years:

Gillsland jack

Thanks for doing the work on this.......but you know what ....after today and most of this season I am really struggling to remain interested in anything down Tynie way.... I have followed them for almost 40 years but I can never remember feeling this low about the Hearts...believe me I've seen it all...but my kids did'nt want to go to the games over the festive period....and they are football daft...its like because they had the cup win in 2006 it could never get any better for them...and you know what who can blame them....it was different for me I needed to see the cup in 98 or I would have went madder than I am having followed the famous JT's everywhere for all of those years Semi final after semi final, final after final, you know what I think I'm just tired of it all now....and my mates would expect me to be the last person to be feeling this way....but I'm sorry my jambo friends..there is just something missing at the moment..and i'm not refering to the playing or coaching staff.

Better call Saul

Agreed :sad:

Clerry Jambo
Thanks for doing the work on this.......but you know what ....after today and most of this season I am really struggling to remain interested in anything down Tynie way.... I have followed them for almost 40 years but I can never remember feeling this low about the Hearts...believe me I've seen it all...but my kids did'nt want to go to the games over the festive period....and they are football daft...its like because they had the cup win in 2006 it could never get any better for them...and you know what who can blame them....it was different for me I needed to see the cup in 98 or I would have went madder than I am having followed the famous JT's everywhere for all of those years Semi final after semi final, final after final, you know what I think I'm just tired of it all now....and my mates would expect me to be the last person to be feeling this way....but I'm sorry my jambo friends..there is just something missing at the moment..and i'm not refering to the playing or coaching staff.

Passion for the Club by certain factions of our Football Club.

Many of us have watched worse Hearts teams doon the years but the players had a bit of guts and fight about them to make up for that lack of guile and ability...........

I wasn't at the game so I don't know how bad we were but I can assume it wasn't excaclty Brazil 1970.

I also agree that it?s a disgrace that we find ourselves in this position but unfortunately this is the hand we have been dealt. In my opinion it would be demeaning to the name of Heart of Midlothian to try and not make the best of this awful season and at this exact moment that?s getting into the top 6.

On a side note we are the only team to make the top 6 every year bar the OF. So in theory in our worst seasons we still make the top 6.?? something Hibs and the Sheep can only dream of.

Castle Magyar

If we did make the top 6 after 33 games, then what?

Not likely we'd qualify for the UEFA Cup spot, nor based on the 30 games played to date we're not likley to pump the other 5; looking at the positives,

* it'd show how poor the other teams are that after such a dire season we're still disussing top 6 qualification

* increased chance of adding to season highlights :)

* would we get more home matches if we reached the top 6 - therefore greater chance of a free Hearts top aka the forthcoming Untied game (thanks Hearts for the football kit my elder son will receive next week)

* increased chance of Hearts being on the radio therefore increased chance to hear Gary McKay swearing, again!!

Either way, there's only a maximum of 8 more disappointments to go - does that mean a max of 8 Frail games to go at the helm?

Thereafter, the summer speculation; new manager, new players, renewed optimism, we're goonae win the League, Hubz will hit 108 not out - howzatttt.

Fourcandles
If we did make the top 6 after 33 games, then what?

Not likely we'd qualify for the UEFA Cup spot, nor based on the 30 games played to date we're not likley to pump the other 5; looking at the positives,

* it'd show how poor the other teams are that after such a dire season we're still disussing top 6 qualification

* increased chance of adding to season highlights :)

* would we get more home matches if we reached the top 6 - therefore greater chance of a free Hearts top aka the forthcoming Untied game (thanks Hearts for the football kit my elder son will receive next week)

* increased chance of Hearts being on the radio therefore increased chance to hear Gary McKay swearing, again!!

Either way, there's only a maximum of 8 more disappointments to go - does that mean a max of 8 Frail games to go at the helm?

Thereafter, the summer speculation; new manager, new players, renewed optimism, we're goonae win the League, Hubz will hit 108 not out - howzatttt.

I'm not sure that getting horsed 4-0 by Rangers again would be a positive from finishing in the top 6 ?

:mad:

FarmerTweedy
-I can see Hearts getting 7 points in the final three games - two home wins against Falkirk and Kilmarnock and a draw against Dundee United who are unbeaten in the last eight games (3 wins, 5 draws).

We're actually at home to Dundee Utd and away to Killie, not sure if that changes your predictions any?

If we beat Falkirk,there might be a slim chance

To be honest who really cares? We ain't going to make Europe. If this is what its become under VR fighting for a top six spot he can go and raffle. :mad:

To be honest who really cares? We ain't going to make Europe.

Agreed.

Looking at the fixtures I'd put my money on Aberdeen making it.

Yesterday's result was a shocker for us in more ways than one.

That's simply common sense right there folks.

JamboGraham
To be honest who really cares? We ain't going to make Europe. If this is what its become under VR fighting for a top six spot he can go and raffle. :mad:

I care...

Only three teams in Scottish football have made the Top 6 every year since it was started. At the moment we are one of them. This season will be forgotten in time, the record will not.

Bottom six means that we will likely play one less game at Tynecastle than we are due, I and thousands of others have already paid for that game.

I would rather watch Hearts play matches against Hibs, Rangers, Celtic than Gretna, Inverness, St Mirren

I like the idea of being involved in matches that mean something. It has been a terrible season. At least if we are in the top six we get the chance to screw someone elses season. It would be nice to kill of an old firm title challenge or wreck a hibs push for Europe. To have the chance to do this we must be in the top six.

And finally sixth is better than seventh, eighth, etc. I always want Hearts to achieve the best possible results regardless of any current or previous situation.

Looking at the fixtures I'd put my money on Aberdeen making it.

Yesterday's result was a shocker for us in more ways than one.

Next week is make or break for us. Will be watching from with interest for our result in the clubhouse at RDGC. :)

I care...

Only three teams in Scottish football have made the Top 6 every year since it was started. At the moment we are one of them. This season will be forgotten in time, the record will not.

Bottom six means that we will likely play one less game at Tynecastle than we are due, I and thousands of others have already paid for that game.

I would rather watch Hearts play matches against Hibs, Rangers, Celtic than Gretna, Inverness, St Mirren

I like the idea of being involved in matches that mean something. It has been a terrible season. At least if we are in the top six we get the chance to screw someone elses season. It would be nice to kill of an old firm title challenge or wreck a hibs push for Europe. To have the chance to do this we must be in the top six.

And finally sixth is better than seventh, eighth, etc. I always want Hearts to achieve the best possible results regardless of any current or previous situation.

if it meant ruining Sellicks chance of the title it would be worth it. ;)

Would rather be top 6 than bottom six. Been top 6 in the past with no chance of getting into Europe.

Thats self interest mate though with your B season ticket. :P

JamboGraham

I despair at posts like this.

Interesting OP.

Does it take into account the points shenanigans that might happen if Gretna go well and truly boobies-up?

Has that already been decided...feeling potentially Peebles-ish here;)

MacDonald Jardine
Passion for the Club by certain factions of our Football Club.

Many of us have watched worse Hearts teams doon the years but the players had a bit of guts and fight about them to make up for that lack of guile and ability...........

This keeps coming up and there's a lot of revisionism going on.

Off hand I can think of being in the Premier League and not scoring a goal at home until November.

We ended up bottom by a mile.

Losing to a bunch of amateurs at Hampden.

Losing 5-2 at home to Dumbarton.

Drawing 3-3 with Clydebank having been (luckily) 3 up.

Going out the Scottish Cup to Forfar at home.

I don't remember much praise for our guts and fight then.

What we have now is arguments used to suit. Either the players aren't good enough (which I wouldn't disagree with) or they're better than most but just don't bother.

Drylaw Hearts

As I said yesterday I think we'll finish the split above Falkirk and into the Top 6.

I have a weird feeling we'll win our last 3 games before the split also. :confused:

I also think the Hobo's will lose 2 of their last 3 matches.

Meaning we'll be 4 behind them and still to play them once.

We'll finish 4th or 5th.

I think I had far to much :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer: last night.

As I said yesterday I think we'll finish the split above Falkirk and into the Top 6.

I have a weird feeling we'll win our last 3 games before the split also. :confused:

I also think the Hobo's will lose 2 of their last 3 matches.

Meaning we'll be 4 behind them and still to play them once.

We'll finish 4th or 5th.

I think I had far to much :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer: last night.

LOL. Think you need to go for a lie down. ;)

This keeps coming up and there's a lot of revisionism going on.

Off hand I can think of being in the Premier League and not scoring a goal at home until November.

We ended up bottom by a mile.

Losing to a bunch of amateurs at Hampden.

Losing 5-2 at home to Dumbarton.

Drawing 3-3 with Clydebank having been (luckily) 3 up.

Going out the Scottish Cup to Forfar at home.

I don't remember much praise for our guts and fight then.

What we have now is arguments used to suit. Either the players aren't good enough (which I wouldn't disagree with) or they're better than most but just don't bother.

even in relative terms the players of yester year were on peanuts compared to a lot of these overpaid imposters, thats the reason this has been one of the most frustrating and dissapointing seasons for a long long time........

Thats self interest mate though with your B season ticket. :P

thought you were better off being in the bottom 6 with a B season ticket:confused:

B season ticket and ?10 tickets for the Cat A games from my contact = me saving money (better in my pocket than Vlads) :)

thought you were better off being in the bottom 6 with a B season ticket:confused:

B season ticket and ?10 tickets for the Cat A games from my contact = me saving money (better in my pocket than Vlads) :)

Will be no money in Vlads pocket next season from me unless likes of Levein is appointed manager. :)

davemclaren
Would rather be top 6 than bottom six. Been top 6 in the past with no chance of getting into Europe.

Totally agree. In the top 6 we have the chance to influence the title and European places. In the bottom six you influence nothing. Plus, I always want Hearts to finish as high as they can in the league.

Cannae get excited about a fight to just make it to the toap 6, but i simply hope we do do it because i always believe in doing the best you can and finishing as high as you can, even if it doesn`t bring a reward.

Hearts stance in the game must be upheld and if it means scraping into the top 6 then going on to grab 5th i`ll take it.

5th sounds better than 6th, 7th, 8th...etc....

Looking harder all the time.

We have to beat Falkirk, DDutd and Killy....46 points

Falkirk have to beat Killy and Aberdeen... 46 points with a better goal Diff, at the moment

Aberdeen have to beat St Midden ,ITC and Falkirk... 46 points, Worse goal diff at the moment.

If we beat Falkirk, and lose any of the other two, it could leave the Sheep ( who have the easier games) a free run at sixth.

As far as I'm concerned the season can't finish quick enough. This really is an embarrassing situation to be in and I couldn't care less either way.We don't deserve to be in the top 6 of what has been a very poor league as we have been sheeite all season and deserve to be where we are!!:mad:

The first thing we need to do is beat Falkirk. The next priority is scoring three or more goals against them, followed by at least a three goal margin - that puts us in the driving seat

One game at a time from now till the split.

The first thing we need to do is beat Falkirk. The next priority is scoring three or more goals against them, followed by at least a three goal margin - that puts us in the driving seat

One game at a time from now till the split.

Aye, Elliot will bag a hat-trick and our defence will hold strong, there won't be any made up injuries and Frail will definitely pick the team with no meddling from a fax machine. I'm not getting at you mate but i'd be surprised if a larger percentage gives a toss if we make it to the top 6 or not?

kennygarland1

Does that include the great sides of the 70s and 80s who got us relegated and could'nt get us promoted again?

Guess The Crowd
Next week is make or break for us. Will be watching from with interest for our result in the clubhouse at RDGC. :)

Ah, Royal Dornoch Golf Club, a place I know very well. (I remember coming off the course there 25 years ago to be told that Robbo had scored a brilliant winner in a 3-2 Derby victory, the first Hibs game after Hearts return to the Premier League).

What brings you there, may I ask?

Does that include the great sides of the 70s and 80s who got us relegated and could'nt get us promoted again?

Here we go again,another "how bad we were then" poster.Who gives a toss how bad Hearts were then?? We didn't have an owner then who promised us the world nor did any of our players earn the crazy money they are earning nowadays.At least we had fight in our team then with most of the players proud to play for the club and fight for the badge and it was acceptable to a certain extent.We didn't have all these overrated money grabbing parasites bleeding the club week in week out for absolutely nothing.

Archived