John Kerr

Stuart Lyon

Stuart Lyon

I was speaking to former Hearts player Derek Addison last night and he told me had been approached a wee while ago by someone who wanted him to sign a book about Hearts. He was a bit surprised at the approach but agreed to meet the guy. It was the late JK and someone else who turned-up and Derek told me he felt really humbled by John's attitude to his illness and his positive manner. He realised how big a Hearts fan John was and said it was a pleasure to have met him.

davemclaren
I was speaking to former Hearts player Derek Addison last night and he told me had been approached a wee while ago by someone who wanted him to sign a book about Hearts. He was a bit surprised at the approach but agreed to meet the guy. It was the late JK and someone else who turned-up and Derek told me he felt really humbled by John's attitude to his illness and his positive manner. He realised how big a Hearts fan John was and said it was a pleasure to have met him.

Derek only played one season for us before being sold to St. Johnstone to keep the bank happy. I thought he was our best player that season.

With the time available to him John was on a mission to get all the players in his book that were still living to sign "their story" in the Hearts book.

The only ex-player that gave him a knock back after John & George Hutcheson driving to meet him to get him to sign the book was Dave McCreery.

That book will be a real Hearts memorabilia item now.

winston churchill
Derek only played one season for us before being sold to St. Johnstone to keep the bank happy. I thought he was our best player that season.

do you remember the great move and headed goal he scored at the school end.

davemclaren
do you remember the great move and headed goal he scored at the school end.

Unfortunately not specifically but it must be in my head somewhere as I didn't miss a home match that season IIRC.

maroonedinoz

Would you be the same Stuart Lyon who worked with a guy called JIm Fleming many years ago?

the general

I hope John's collection of Hearts stuff goes into the new museum as he has some quirky stuff and not just the usual programs - I chummed him through to Glasgow to some of the auctions and we had great fun ( not so sure about his record collection though lol )

Robbos Right Peg
I hope John's collection of Hearts stuff goes into the new museum

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a museum. With the number of items going 'missing' recently I would hope that Johns family have more sense than to donate anything to Hearts.

Stuart Lyon

Maroonedinoz I am that same Stuart Lyon. I still keep in touch with Jim and am looking forward to seeing him and his family when they come over in August.

With the time available to him John was on a mission to get all the players in his book that were still living to sign "their story" in the Hearts book.

The only ex-player that gave him a knock back after John & George Hutcheson driving to meet him to get him to sign the book was Dave McCreery.

That book will be a real Hearts memorabilia item now.

Colin, I can't get my head round why anyone wouldn't give his autograph to John. Is there a decent reason for McCreery's KB? Was he unavailable or something?

It's not as if he was unpopular at Hearts and has reason to dislike the fans.

Mind you, it reminds me of when Andy Watson refused to sign my programme at Clydebank in 1986. My Dad asked him why and Watson said "I'm concentrating on watching the game."

My Dad replied "that's why we're top of the league, cos you are WATCHING the fecking games!!!"

Sorry to take the thread away from John's book but I remember Colin McAdam laughing as me and my Dad walked away. Incidentally big McAdam did sign my programme and he spent about five minutes talking to me about scoring against Rangers in the 3-2 cup win the week before. He was a gent, Watson was a ******!

Archived