The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters.

It's surprisingly brilliant for a docu-film about middle-aged blokes obsessed with getting the world record score on Donkey Kong.

Sounds awful but plays out like a combination of Rocky, Good Will Hunting and Karate Kid.

Can't recommend it enough.

The Experiment - Remembered learning a bit about the Stanford Prison experiment and I quite like Adrien Brody so decided to give it a bash and I'm just really not sure what to say. Was I glued to the screen? Yes, certainly. Did I enjoy it? Er, no...not sure I can say that I did. It's disturbing but fascinating at the same time though. 7/10

Commander Harris

The Experiment - Remembered learning a bit about the Stanford Prison experiment and I quite like Adrien Brody so decided to give it a bash and I'm just really not sure what to say. Was I glued to the screen? Yes, certainly. Did I enjoy it? Er, no...not sure I can say that I did. It's disturbing but fascinating at the same time though. 7/10

I didn't realise they had remade this. Check out the german original if you really want to be disturbed!

A Serbian Film - not good. No score on this one as it's just too brutal.

Is it really that bad? Was going to buy it out of curiosity more than anything.

Edited by Ali-1874

Crash 8/10

Really enjoyed it, usually can't get into films with multiple story crossovers but think they did it really well. Some amazing performances all round

I didn't realise they had remade this. Check out the german original if you really want to be disturbed!

Yeah it's a remake of Das Experiment apparently. No offence but I think I'll leave that one a while, I've had enough disturbance for one week. :biggrin:

Sooooo....

127 Hours - I wasn't sure how they'd make a whole film about a bloke being stuck under a rock, but they did and it wasn't bad either. I thought I'd end up bored but didn't really at all and some of the sequences when he starts to lose his marbles/dehydrate are pretty good. 7/10

Don McKay - I don't know why I got it into my head that watching this film would be a good idea. It wasn't. That's 1.5 hours of my life I'll never get back. Points given purely for some of the music on the soundtrack... 2/10

Edited by redm

Black Swan - who knew Portman had that in her? Wow. So impressed by this film. I guess it's easier to make beautiful films out of elegant subject matter but that really was brilliant. I see a few Oscars on the horizon. See it. And no, it's not really girly at all even if it is centred around the lives of ballerinas.... 10/10

Commander Harris

Black Swan - who knew Portman had that in her? Wow. So impressed by this film. I guess it's easier to make beautiful films out of elegant subject matter but that really was brilliant. I see a few Oscars on the horizon. See it. And no, it's not really girly at all even if it is centred around the lives of ballerinas.... 10/10

You seem surprised about Natalie Portman, I can't think of a better actress of her generation.

127 Hours

9/10

Franco's performance is outstanding and the way Boyle dealt with the time being stuck under a rock kept the flow of the film going without it becoming boring.

Commander Harris

South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut 8/10 my favourite musical :lol:

this film is genius. definitely in my top 10.

King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters.

It's surprisingly brilliant for a docu-film about middle-aged blokes obsessed with getting the world record score on Donkey Kong.

Sounds awful but plays out like a combination of Rocky, Good Will Hunting and Karate Kid.

Can't recommend it enough.

Superb film.Were you shouting at the tv at how much of a prick the old record holder was. :lol:

rudi must stay

The next three days

Really enjoyed this film - believable acting throughout and for once Paul Haggis has focused on the story rather than themes, which IMO makes a film more interesting.

8/10

Guest GhostHunter

I Spit on Your Grave - remake.

Horrifically bad.

And, not in a good way....sometimes it's best to leave the originals untouched, especially if you don't have the balls to actually remain faithful to it when making a remake

2/10

In preparation of Red State coming out in March watched a Kevin Smith triple bill

Clerks- 8/10 Good film, even better when you consider it only cost about $25k to make.

Dogma- 9/10 Best film he's done laughed my nuts off all the way through

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back- 6/10 OK film some brilliant cameos in it but seriously lacking anything resembling a storyline

:yucky::blink::down:

You seem surprised about Natalie Portman, I can't think of a better actress of her generation.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Agree with redm's review though. Masterpiece.

Rocky IV

7/10

'Got him hurt bad...now he's worried. You cut him! You hurt him! You see, you see..he's not a machine, he's a man!' :)

Creepy Lurker

Ong Bak - 8/10

Tony Jaa tearing shit up. :D

There was a storyline in there somewhere, but let's face it: it's not really what you watch this kind of film for.

Say What Again

Let The Right One In.

Swedish with subtitles - I believe there's an American version called 'Let Me In'

Borrowed this from a guy at work after he raved about it saying it was amazing. Other reviews backed this up and it sits with a score of 8.1/10 on IMDb (from 65,000 votes).

I found it pretty slow and predictable. It just seemed to meander along from nothing to nothing much more and never really took off.

6/10.

I'd be interested to hear others thoughts if you've seen it.

let-the-right-one-in-dvd-2008-14187652.jpeg

"Brutal and Brilliant" say the Daily Mirror. It's neither IMO.

Let The Right One In.

Swedish with subtitles - I believe there's an American version called 'Let Me In'

Borrowed this from a guy at work after he raved about it saying it was amazing. Other reviews backed this up and it sits with a score of 8.1/10 on IMDb (from 65,000 votes).

I found it pretty slow and predictable. It just seemed to meander along from nothing to nothing much more and never really took off.

6/10.

I'd be interested to hear others thoughts if you've seen it.

let-the-right-one-in-dvd-2008-14187652.jpeg

"Brutal and Brilliant" say the Daily Mirror. It's neither IMO.

i think your expectations might have been too high, it is a little slow but the story moves along nicely IMO, it is one of my favourite vampire films

i think your expectations might have been too high, it is a little slow but the story moves along nicely IMO, it is one of my favourite vampire films

i really liked it as well :thumbsup:

i watched it after a lot of people here on kickback recommended it.

haven`t seen the us version but i`ll check it out when i can

Edited by tedarmy

The Expendables

An appropriately named film, utterly expendable, not eve saved by the Arnie and Willis cameos

3/10

Say What Again

Psych: 9 - Dark, brooding and intense, but ultimately, shite.

Barry Norman could have been so much better if he'd adopted your style :lol:

The King's speech.

8.5/10

Really enjoyed this film. Funny in parts, with some fantastic acting. Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush are very good in this.

rudi must stay

A History Of Violence

Superb film: great acting throughout and a clever story. Didn't like the ending though, there was still a bit more that could have been said IMO.

8/10

Edited by rudi must stay

Jambojohnnyboy

Bodysong - 1/10 interesting idea about the things that can influence a life, birth, growing, relationships, politics, religion, war, expression etc. But it's just stock footage, with a musical score and ultimately not all that interesting. Bonus is you can stick your own music on and watch on FF. Or alternatively don't bother watching it and just live your life instead.

Love and Other Drugs 8/10

This has to be a joke? Looks as bad as Eat, Pray, Love, **** Off.

This week Ive watched;

City of God - Was stunning. Extremely enjoyable and liked the way its cut into a series of interlocking stories.

The Other Guys - hmmm.......not the biggest Will Ferrell fan but it was quite funny. Bit bored by the end though.

Shrink - Kevin Spacey as a shrink who's falling apart. Superbly acted, good dialogue and a decent film. Well worth a watch.

What Happens in Vegas - Ashton Kutcher and Cameron Diaz as a couple of dickheads in Vegas. Lasted literally 10 minutes whilst channel hopping on Sunday. Complete and utter ******* gut rot.

Guest GhostHunter

Chain Letter - a valiant attempt to emulate Final Destination, but in the end, it's like getting off at Haymarket - initially a thrill, but ultimately, not worth it.

5/10

Departures.

A slightly odd but enjoyable enough Japanese film about a bloke who loses his job as a cellist and embarks on a new career preparing the dead for funerals. Teeters on the brink of being sentimental tosh, but has enough charm and weird comic elements to avoid falling into that trap. 6.5/10

Edited by Ray Gin