The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Victor Mancini

St Georges Day 1/10

Laaandan gangster movie aimed at people with single digit IQ

honestly it wouldn't have been more cliched if Danny Dyer + Tammer Hassan appeared then proceeded to sniff cocaine off Barbarra Windsor's snatch whilst shouting "let's faaaaaaackin 'ave it"

Victor Mancini

Hit n Run 5/10

American comedy about a guy who's in witness protection and decides to drive his girlfriend to her job interview in LA,

there was a couple of moments that were funny but nothing spectacular, I've seen worse recently(look 2 posts above this...)

The Hobbit was our Boxing Day treat yesterday.

Most enjoyable - maybe should've re-read the book first and also The Silmarillion - but enjoyable nonetheless.

A 3pm start also meant I missed the match-thread...in hindsight not a bad thing.

Lincoln 5/10

Last 4 months of Lincolns life as he tries push through the 13th ammendment.As entertainment its virtually zero but the acting is first class especially from Daniel Day Lewis as Lincoln who will no doubt be up for an Oscar again.

Killing Them Softly 8.5/10

Best film i have seen in a while.My only gripe as I am not sure that Brad Pitt is totally convincing in his role.

The Muppets 6/10

The Muppets being the Muppets. Bairn loved it.

The Dark Knight Returns part 1 8/10* **

Pretty faithful adaptation from the comic and the animation is spot on.

*Loses a mark for removing Bruce/Batmans inner monologue which hinders the story IMO

**Extra mark for Robocop doing the voice of Batman

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Killing Them Softly 8.5/10

Best film i have seen in a while.My only gripe as I am not sure that Brad Pitt is totally convincing in his role.

Really?

Watched it last night, was so disappointed with it when you consider the cast. The story was dross. Basically just killing a few folk for robbing a card game and then there was the bizarre 30 minute period where Gandolfini was going radge and that was it. Atrocious. Really didn't get the political bits in it either.

Lawless - 8/10. As usual, anything with Hardy - brilliant.

Django Unchained.

9 out of 10.

Great performances by Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, and DiCaprio. Crappy cameo by Tarantino. Plenty of action.

Tyrannosaur - brutal but brilliant film from Paddy Considine. Great performances as usual from Peter Mullan and Eddie Marsan but Olivia Coleman was absolutely outstanding. 9/10

Rise Of The Guardians - reasonable kids film about Jack Frost, Santa and co saving kids from the Bogeyman. 6/10

A bit of a contrast between the two!

Victor Mancini

A Fantastic Fear Of Everything 6/10

low budget comedy written and directed by ex Kula Shaker frontman Crispian Mills,

Simon Pegg plays an author writing about serial killers, he becomes paranoid that everyones out to kill him, its funny but couldve had 20 mins cut out to keep focused on the story.

convincing cameo from Noel Fielding as a welsh woman!

Had a Jambo, Ken Stott, as one of the dwarfs. B)

Him and James Nesbit were the only highlights :)

Although, curious to see if they are going to bring in the Witch King of Angmar as a character, he doesn't appear in the book, but neither did that awful white orc thing either.

The Muppets 6/10

The Muppets being the Muppets. Bairn loved it.

The Dark Knight Returns part 1 8/10* **

Pretty faithful adaptation from the comic and the animation is spot on.

*Loses a mark for removing Bruce/Batmans inner monologue which hinders the story IMO

**Extra mark for Robocop doing the voice of Batman

I agree, I thought Peter Weller did a superb job of the older Bats (mind you Michael Ironside was possibly even better in the test animation they did for this).

That inner monologue was difficult for them to realise, occasionally they gave Batman/Bruce Wayne the lines to speak. Guess the Director didn't want to ruin the tone with a noir-ish voice over.

It did change the tone anyway, I felt that Batman's crippled confidence didn't show so much here after he gets a pounding by the mutant leader - that came over as a deliberately calculated ploy but he couldn't have counted on help to save him...wee bit contradictory.

My only other problem with the source material is I've always wanted a tiny bit of back-story to the mutants. Still a fantastic bit of writing and very solid adaptation.

Can't wait for the second part.

Are you a big comic book geek then? Does watching this not make you salivate at the possibility of Nolan & Bale re-teaming in 12-15 years to shoot this as a movie, or is that just me...

Would love to see it made into a movie but it's highly unlikely with what goes on in parts 3/4.

Not a big comic book geek but like them. Not much into the whole rogues gallery Batman stuff though. Tried reading the Knightfall story but couldn't get into it.

Yeah I don't suppose it will ever happen, considering they already nicked bits for the last trilogy.

Working through some blu-ray boxsets:

Final Destination - 7.5/10 In retrospect it doesn't quite strike the right tone between straight slasher and ironic tongue-in-cheek, but it's such a great plot idea and has some nicely twisted deaths, one in particular very Heath Robinson in it's convoluted construction. And Ali Larter looks lush in an early role.

Edited by Lionel Logue

Just watched 'The Sting' on Sky.

Never seen it before and I thought it was excellent.

It's a classic, I've not seen it for a few years but wouldn't find many excuses not to watch it again.

Walk The Line 7/10

First time i had ever seen it.Been getting right into Johnny Cash just now so thought i would watch the film and i quite enjoyed it.

It's a classic, I've not seen it for a few years but wouldn't find many excuses not to watch it again.

Its on again on Sunday on Sky Classics HD and Sky Classics. :thumbsup:

Its on again on Sunday on Sky Classics HD and Sky Classics. :thumbsup:

Cheers I'll get one of the kids to Tivo it for me.

The Hobbit

I hated The Lord of the Rings and honestly don't know why I sat through this as it's more of the same.

2.5/10

Sexton Hardcastle

St Georges Day 2/10

Watched it through to the end to see if it could get any worse and it did.

A whose who of corny London gangsters with some of the worst acting and story line i've ever sat through. Take it this one went straight to DVD?

Sexton Hardcastle

Gave up with Killing them softly after an hour. Pretty gash. 3/10 for what i seen.

Zero Dark Thirty was alright. Kind of like an extended Homeland episode.

7/10

Gave up with Killing them softly after an hour. Pretty gash. 3/10 for what i seen.

Zero Dark Thirty was alright. Kind of like an extended Homeland episode.

7/10

Might check that out now then. Available in the usual places or did you go and see it?

Might check that out now then. Available in the usual places or did you go and see it?

Great copy on the net if its Zero Dark Thirty your looking for

Zero Dark Thirty - 8.5/10 that was right up my street. think it was fairly accurate as well because when they entered the compound everything that happened was exactly the same as in a documentary i watched about it

intense stuff at times!

Zero Dark Thirty - 8.5/10 that was right up my street. think it was fairly accurate as well because when they entered the compound everything that happened was exactly the same as in a documentary i watched about it

intense stuff at times!

the first half hour and last hour were good but inbetween I felt it dragged in. Still a good film a lot better than the 6/10 I gave it last night so I'll up it to a 7.5/10 Edited by jose barriniho

The Imposter

8.5/10

From the near storyless dirge that was The Tree of Life to this documentary telling the incredible story of a missing american teenager who seemingly turns up in Spain 3 years later. Highly recommended.

Edited by Ray Gin

Les Miserables. 7/10

Cinematography was great, but some of the singing could have been much better. Russell Crowe was miscast, imo.