The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

On 06/10/2019 at 23:25, rudi must stay said:

Joker

Fantastic film, gorgeous visually. Well made and Phoenix is brilliant. Batman fans will love it

10/10

Agreed, thought it was fantastic. Phenomenal performance by Phoenix. A masterpiece.

Thought Joker was outstanding. A really dark film dealing, quite thoughtfully at times, with abuse, neglect and mental illness. 

As an origin story, something not really seen with Joker previously, it was powerful and I thought masterfully showed how this troubled individual transformed into one of comic books most famous villains.

10/10 - I loved it. 

Francis Albert
On 06/10/2019 at 07:45, Carl Fredrickson said:

Cheers. Didnt know any of that.

I took from the film that the way she was treated when she was young led her to have a troubled adult like ie due to the strict control the studio had over her and being forced to take pills of various kinds.

The film (imo) portrayed her as very much a people person who loved attention and pleasing people (the two guys she befriended in the film werent based on real people but was meant to reflect her relationships with many people who came to her shows - as per 5live interview). 

The downside to her character was definitely her addictions  and some people would take advantage of her due to her weaknesses. It is hard to believe that someone so talented with so many years performing behind them could be in financial trouble but this could have been due to people treating her like a cash cow and her addictions. 

The film for all its inaccuracies has brought at least part of her life to the attention of many. Before the film I only knew her as Dorothy in TWOZ and being the mother of Liza Minnelli.  

Saw it today. Great film and absolutely outstanding perrfirmance by Rene

Ron Burgundy
On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 23:05, Dagger Is Back said:

Crawl 3/10. A couple of jumps but my God what a lot of drivel

The story of a father and daughters battle against alligators during a hurricane.

Reading that description back to myself, what did I really expect? 😂

Dear lord, that's the sort of film my son would pick for us to watch on a Sunday night .

Dagger Is Back
3 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Dear lord, that's the sort of film my son would pick for us to watch on a Sunday night .

Dear Lord indeed and my daughter chose it. Both of my kids have a deep fascination with sharks and alligators/crocs

Light of my Life - written and directed by casey affleck who stars in it. Interesting little take on an apocalyptic event. Has a kind of The Road feel about it but didn't grab me as much as i hoped it would. 7/10. 

Started to watch Mortal Machines last night but fell asleep half way through.

Is it worth me carrying on where I left off? Impressions of first half were not great.

rudi must stay

Fast Girls

A generic hero to zero tale about a sprinter. Forgettable from minute one onwards but I'll give it a 5 is it wasn't arty or pretentious

5/10

Apologies if posted already. Between 2 ferns on Netflix. Very good laugh and had not know this had been a YouTube show for years. How the actors hold their laughter through some of the questions is amazing. I thought very funny. 

On 12/10/2019 at 09:18, Vlad Magic said:

Is it worth me carrying on where I left off? Impressions of first half were not great.

Finished watching this last night. It’s not very good. There are some decent CGI scenes of massive city like machines blasting across land on tracks but the story is cack and acting rubbish.

OK for a bit of Saturday night nonsense but not worth much else.

On 12/10/2019 at 09:18, Vlad Magic said:

Finished watching this last night. It’s not very good. There are some decent CGI scenes of massive city like machines blasting across land on tracks but the story is cack and acting rubbish.

OK for a bit of Saturday night nonsense but not worth much else.

9 hours ago, Beave1874 said:

Apologies if posted already. Between 2 ferns on Netflix. Very good laugh and had not know this had been a YouTube show for years. How the actors hold their laughter through some of the questions is amazing. I thought very funny. 

If you watch to the end of the credits, they hanve a load of out takes of them struggling to get through the questions.

Carl Fredrickson

Gemini Man. Decent idea poor film. Will Smith seems to make huge amounts with no more acting ability than a plank of wood. 3/10

59 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Gemini Man. Decent idea poor film. Will Smith seems to make huge amounts with no more acting ability than a plank of wood. 3/10

Loved the look of the very first trailer then subsequently lost all interest when I seen the final trailer.

I am liking this de-ageing ability being used now however. Has the potential to keep big stars in films forever if they are happy being milked once they are dead!

rudi must stay
6 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Mostly right but not in the case of The Pursuit of Happiness. He is excellent in that film 

Edited by rudi must stay

In the shadow of the moon.

Netflix science fiction movie starring Boyd Holbrook.

Sort of time travel thriller.

Starts off really well and kept me interested all the way through the movie.

High concept film which is a change from all the superhero movies lately.

Give it a go 7/10

2 on Netflix yesterday (home with manflu)

El Camino, A Breaking Bad story, bit boring to be honest 5/10

A Star is Born, liked it more than I thought I would, 8/10

chester copperpot
On 15/10/2019 at 09:42, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Joker is phenomenal :pray: really is my kind of film. 9/10.

10/10 for me

Phoenix performs the best performance I have ever seen. 

1 hour ago, tokyowalnut said:

Layer Cake

9/10

One of my favourites

Funny that, I was in asda tonight and the woman in front of me had one of those printed cakes, she'd made a Slayer cake for her metal son. It was pretty epic to be fair. 

Child's Play 2019

5/10

Would have been 4/10 if Aubrey Plaza wasn't in it.  The only reason I watched it TBH.

Movie about a doll that comes to life and......   You already know, you have seen the original.

Tired, tired, lazy, regurgitated crap.  The movie industry is ****ed.

Who ever wanted to see a remake of this?

Only when checking the IMDB page to see who the fat guy was that looked like Jack Black, did I find out Mark Hamill was the voice of Chucky in it.

Mark ****ing Hamill.

I really wish people would stop going to the cinema and paying to see this kind of shite.

Sad thing is:   It cost cost $10M to make and made over $50M, so expect more shite like this when investors can get a return like that.

9 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Child's Play 2019

5/10

Would have been 4/10 if Aubrey Plaza wasn't in it.  The only reason I watched it TBH.

Movie about a doll that comes to life and......   You already know, you have seen the original.

Tired, tired, lazy, regurgitated crap.  The movie industry is ****ed.

Who ever wanted to see a remake of this?

Only when checking the IMDB page to see who the fat guy was that looked like Jack Black, did I find out Mark Hamill was the voice of Chucky in it.

Mark ****ing Hamill.

I really wish people would stop going to the cinema and paying to see this kind of shite.

Sad thing is:   It cost cost $10M to make and made over $50M, so expect more shite like this when investors can get a return like that.

Nostalgia is a big money. 

Another 2 thanks to Manflu n Netflix..

Aquaman, liked it more than I thought I would (probably Amber Heard's fault) 8/10

The Laundromat, funny in bits, fascinating and yet a wee bit depressing at the same time, 8/10

rudi must stay
On 20/10/2019 at 08:45, jim747 said:

Another 2 thanks to Manflu n Netflix..

Aquaman, liked it more than I thought I would (probably Amber Heard's fault) 8/10

The Laundromat, funny in bits, fascinating and yet a wee bit depressing at the same time, 8/10

Ye fair score. What an actor Gary Oldman is, really brought his best to this one

Carl Fredrickson

Official Secrets. 

Based on the true events when a GCHQ member of staff leaked a memo prior to the UK and US going to war with Iraq. 

Very well made and Ikea Knightly plays the lead role very well

A solid 8/10

luckyBatistuta
On 20/10/2019 at 08:45, jim747 said:

Wow, think you are the first person i’ve ever heard say that they liked it. One of the worst films I’ve ever seen.

Terminator: Dark Fate 6.5/10

A sequel to Terminator 2, nothing to do the recent movies.

It's fine. You know what you're going to get, action, mad stunts, some good Arnie one liners, and lot of shite 😆 A good Friday afternoon movie!

Halloween (2018)

Some cracking death scenes. Who doesn't love a good stomp on the head? And the cliched chubby kid getting it tight

😄

7/10

Watched two decent films on Netflix yesterday:

Arctic  7/10

Mads Mikkelson stars as a man stranded in the Arctic after a plane crash. A slow burner with very little dialogue, but I really enjoyed it.

The Red Sea Diving Resort  7/10

Based on true events in the early 80s, about a group of undercover Israeli agents trying to rescue Ethiopian jewish refugees by smuggling them out of Sudan.

rudi must stay

Psycho

First time I'd watched Psycho, not my scene usually but id managed to avoid or forgotten spoilers. Creepy film, really tense

10/10

7 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Arctic  7/10

Mads Mikkelson stars as a man stranded in the Arctic after a plane crash. A slow burner with very little dialogue, but I really enjoyed it.

Actually thinking about it again, Arctic probably deserves an 8 for Mikkelson's performance. Totally captivates you despite barely saying anything throughout the film. Masterful and deserves some nominations with awards season looming.

Carl Fredrickson

Countdown. Not the quiz show but the story of an app that tells you when you will die. Thought the idea was good though couldnt help but think I have seen a film about something similar but not an app

One of those films that try to build up tension before a "jumpy" moment. One did get me - big time. 

A bit predictable but an ok watch 7/10

17 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Once Upon a Time in London.

Oh dear, don't bother.

Thanks!  It was next on my list. :D

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Thanks!  It was next on my list. :D

It's like Green Street in the 40's / 50's.

Most of the same actors as well.

In The Tall Grass. Stephen King adaptation where a couple hear a kid shouting for help from a field where the grass is really tall so go in to help and get stuck. ****ing weird, but better than I expected. 

6/10.

jack D and coke
On 11/10/2019 at 22:51, Ray Gin said:

El Camino

7/10

Good to see Jesse's story get a proper ending all these years later. 

Yeah I’d heard some really bad things about it too. I was always gonna watch and personally thought it was better than I’d heard it was going to be so 7 possibly 8/10 for me. 
Just watched the Maradona docu film and that was excellent. Felt a bit sorry for him at the end the way it all worked out he actually seemed a good guy that came from absolutely nothing and just ended up surrounded by madness and found it impossible to avoid the pitfalls. What a ****ing footballer he was. 
A great watch. 
9/10

rudi must stay

Dead in a week or Your Money Back

Black comedy with Tom Wilkinson playing an ageing hitman. Better than I expected, quite a funny script at times. Decent 

6/10

Long haul flight back from Canada sat and watched A Star Is Born with Brad Cooper and Lady Gaga.

Strong performances from both Brad and Gaga. Great soundtrack and a very sad ending.

8/10