The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Judge Fudge
21 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Zulu. 

Absolute classic, first time my son has seen, he thought it was magic! 

10/10

Great movie, there's a documentary out there about the making of. Stanley Baker pushed a lot of the early scenes and didn't want it to become to jingoistic. Worked a treat.

Baby Driver

4/10

What could have been a stylish action/crime movie with some decent chase scenes is spoiled by unbelievable characters and bizarre Footloose type moments.

Edited by Ray Gin

chester copperpot
On 30/03/2018 at 22:35, rudi must stay said:

Ready Player One

On the big screen I really recommend seeing this one. Only Spielberg could make a film so creative and exciting, and the acting from everyone is spot on

10/10

Was just coming on here to ask if anyone had seen it.

Going to the flicks the day with the laddie to see this.

Get Me Roger Stone - really interesting documentary on Netflix about a Republican lobbyist whose been on the scene since Nixon. Essential viewing if you have any interest in American politics. 8/10

The Square - Swedish satire on modern art that won the Palme d’Or at Cannes last year. Both funny ha ha and funny strange! 8/10

You Were Never Really Here 2/10

Joaquin Pheonix is ex forces hire getting young girls out of prostitution situations. One job goes very wrong. 

Anyway the story is decent. But we get about 6 minutes of the actual story. The rest is long, vacant shots mostly of Pheonix but also of walls and dead flowers. Suppose this might be called a high concept art house film. 

Avoid. 

rudi must stay

Bridget Jones' Baby

Solid film, enjoyed it. Alot more than the other Bridget Jones films

7/10

Edited by rudi must stay

Салатные палочки

Detroit. 

Enjoyable. Not quite what I expected but a good film with some decent acting. 

Judge Fudge

Hell In The Pacific, one Jap one Yank stranded on a remote island during WW2. Hadn't watched it for years and it was even better than I'd remembered. 9/10

chester copperpot

Ready Player One

On the big screen I really recommend seeing this one. Only Spielberg could make a film so creative and exciting, and the acting from everyone is spot on

10/10

Well what can I say.

Loved it loved it loved it. Spielberg at his very very best

10/10 for me. Was gutted when the movie ended as just wanted more and more.

Cheers for the info

Ready Player One

Pretty decent film filled with references and easter eggs to look out for.

I watched a video on YT to see which ones I had missed (easy to do with so much going on on the screen) and was surprised to see that I had picked up on most of them.

Spoiler

The Shining section was absolutely genius and I sort of wish the other 2 keys (or even make more keys) followed the same level of reference. 

I also loved the numerous back to the future references, including the punch in the car.

chester copperpot
7 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Ready Player One

Pretty decent film filled with references and easter eggs to look out for.

I watched a video on YT to see which ones I had missed (easy to do with so much going on on the screen) and was surprised to see that I had picked up on most of them.

Hide contents

The Shining section was absolutely genius and I sort of wish the other 2 keys (or even make more keys) followed the same level of reference. 

I also loved the numerous back to the future references, including the punch in the car.

The Zemekis cube had me totally excited. Sad I know!

Just watched "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri".  Good entertainment, great acting.  

The ending was a bit anti-climatic, but still worth a watch.  8/10

luckyBatistuta

Ready Player One,

The whole family went to watch this and everyone thought it was fab. So many hidden gems from a starry eyed past in there too. Have to say that I probably laughed a bit too loud in the cinema, when he shouted “####, he’s got a Ch...y”  :laugh::laugh::laugh:  (trying not to spoil it)

9/10

The Hitman's Bodyguard

Buddy film with Samuel L and Ryan Reynolds 

More entertaining/amusing then it had a right to be 

7/10

Carl Fredrickson

A Streetcat Named Bob

Sometimes a film or TV show is enjoyable depending on your mood. How you are feeling can influence how much you enjoy it 

This film and how I felt tonight went hand in hand. 

I have not enjoyed a film as much for a long time and the fact it was based on a true story made it all the more enjoyable 

I had something in my eye at the end

9/10

Edited by Carl Fredrickson

Isle Of Dogs - I tend to either love Wes Anderson’s films or find them pretty dull and this falls into the latter category. Looks fantastic and I love Japan so there’s that but as one of my kids said, it was pretty boring. 6/10

I Called Him Morgan - documentary about the wife of jazz musician Lee Morgan, who was jailed for killing him. Really interesting, evocative and brilliantly made as the interviews with her were recorded on some old cassettes! 8/10

tokyowalnut
On 04/04/2018 at 11:44, luckyBatistuta said:

Ready Player One,

The whole family went to watch this and everyone thought it was fab. So many hidden gems from a starry eyed past in there too. Have to say that I probably laughed a bit too loud in the cinema, when he shouted “####, he’s got a Ch...y”  :laugh::laugh::laugh:  (trying not to spoil it)

9/10

The whole movie based inside a computer generated world would normally having me avoiding it at all costs, but I loved it.

I just went on my own and sat like an excitable child trying spot as much as I could in every shot. The story almost passed me by, was too busy watching for subtle references to old movies.

The reviews from people that have read the book haven't been great, but I've not read it and thought it was brilliant.

9/10

Ready Player One

10/10

I’m going to see this on Wednesday. I’ve read the book and really enjoyed it so I have high hopes for the film.

chester copperpot
1 hour ago, Helzibob said:

I’m going to see this on Wednesday. I’ve read the book and really enjoyed it so I have high hopes for the film.

It's brilliant

rudi must stay

Thor: Ragnarok

A brilliant film. So much money spent on it, and you can absolutely tell. But great fun from start to finish

8/10

Edited by rudi must stay

The Future's Maroon

The Hurricane Heist 

Quite simply one of the worst films I have seen, terrible acting.

The only positive was Maggie Grace (the daughter from the Taken films) is looking hot the older she gets.

2/10

On 08/04/2018 at 12:28, tokyowalnut said:

The whole movie based inside a computer generated world would normally having me avoiding it at all costs, but I loved it.

I just went on my own and sat like an excitable child trying spot as much as I could in every shot. The story almost passed me by, was too busy watching for subtle references to old movies.

The reviews from people that have read the book haven't been great, but I've not read it and thought it was brilliant.

9/10

Just been to see Ready Player One and I've read the book. Was a little disappointed as they changed big bits of the story. Some of the changes were understandable as they improved what would have been dull scenes for a film but others added nothing to the movie and in fact made it poorer in my opinion. Probably give it 6/10. My wife who hasn't read the book loved it. Shouldn't be surprised as very few films do justice to the book they are based on.

tokyowalnut
1 hour ago, dougal said:

Just been to see Ready Player One and I've read the book. Was a little disappointed as they changed big bits of the story. Some of the changes were understandable as they improved what would have been dull scenes for a film but others added nothing to the movie and in fact made it poorer in my opinion. Probably give it 6/10. My wife who hasn't read the book loved it. Shouldn't be surprised as very few films do justice to the book they are based on.

I'm going to start it this weekend. It's really not my thing but the reviews of the movie, and what you're saying has got me interested ?

Edited by tokyowalnut

9 hours ago, tokyowalnut said:

I'm going to start it this weekend. It's really not my thing but the reviews of the movie, and what you're saying has got me interested ?

I'm not usually one to read that kind of book, but it was recommended in another forum that I'm on, so I thought I'd give it a bash. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Would definitely recommend the book and also would recommend reading it before watching the film. It's a fast paced book with loads of eighties trivia included. I read it in about 6 hours over 4 or 5 days. So a reasonably quick read. Enjoy it.

chester copperpot

Went to see Rampage yesterday.

Great special effects but overall pretty predictable even if I did like the big Gorilla.

6/10

Thor Ragnorok

Brilliant film. Very funny. Working my way through the Marvel films before Infinity War so Dr. Strange and Black Panther to go.

19 hours ago, dougal said:

I had read the book and much preferred the book to the film. I did still enjoy the film though and I’d say 7/10. My friend hasn’t read the book and like your wife loved it. 

Edited by Helzibob

rudi must stay

Star Wars The Last Jedi

Quite enjoyed it. Plenty of laughs and some great scenes, hopefully Benincio Del Toro is in the next one, hes a great casting choice for the Star Wars universe

7/10

chester copperpot

Just finished Spiderman Homecoming.

Have enjoyed all the Spiderman movies and this was no exception. 

Thoroughly enjoyed it too 8/10

Just watched Alien Covenant ! First 50 mins were dull as dishwater then a bit of action and an annoying ending all very predictable !   Was not impressed 

rudi must stay

The Great Wall

Quite liked the visuals and the idea for the story. But from minute 1 the acting is dire, there's a Chinese guy in this not even trying to act and he has crucial lines, and Matt Damon, he's so wooden and his accent is all over the place throughout. Disappointing film, and I thought for what it was it took itself too seriously

5/10

Carl Fredrickson

Jaws

My 7 year old had been asking to watch it. I was 7 when I first saw it so we watched it this afternoon

He loved it and not only did he jump but he also screamed at "that bit". 

My son gives it 10/10

William H. Bonney

A quiet place  7/10. 

It's about a world where you must remain silent to avoid attack from monsters. 

Not particularly scary but certainly tense. The bath tub and man in the woods were two stand out scenes. 

It is flawed but still an enjoyable 90 minutes 

Star Wars - The Last Jedi. 

8-10.

I thought it was very good and way better than the last one. 

rudi must stay

The Birds

Not a movie that's aged well at all, but still pretty scary. Doesn't have for me what some classics from the past have (Lawrence of Arabia, Jaws etc) but there you go

7/10

Edited by rudi must stay

On 4/14/2018 at 20:29, rudi must stay said:

The Great Wall

Quite liked the visuals and the idea for the story. But from minute 1 the acting is dire, there's a Chinese guy in this not even trying to act and he has crucial lines, and Matt Damon, he's so wooden and his accent is all over the place throughout. Disappointing film, and I thought for what it was it took itself too seriously

5/10

I remember seeing a trailer for this a while back and thinking it looked absolutely awful.

The Continental Op

Beast - a low budget Film4/BFI film shot in Jersey. Story is about a damaged and slightly disturbed young woman who escapes her oppressive family and falls for a mysterious hunk who may or may not be the serial killer stalking the island.

Pretty intense and gripping and a bit like Three Billboards in that you are kept in suspense as to what the final twist is, whether he is the killer and/or how far she is willing to go for him.

excellent and charismatic performances from the unknown leads.

8/10

William H. Bonney

Duck duck goose - 2/10 

More like pish pish shite. Took my 3 year old son to this. We were the only two in the cinema. He spent the entire time running up and down the stairs. 

Terrible cliched film. Avoid. 

Disser Pointon
15 hours ago, Muppetboy said:

Pacific rim uprising. 6/10. Not a patch on the first one. Seemed aimed at a more younger audience 

Must be really bad then cos I thought the first one was God awful!

rudi must stay

Lord of the Rings: The fellowship of the Rings

Everyone's seen bits of it, and I was the same. But I decided to sit through it last night, a really good, interesting film. Every single scenes something happens.

10/10

rudi must stay

Trainwreck

Some good stuff, some cringeworthy humour I didn't like at all. But I liked it's honesty as a rom com 

6/10

Labyrinth of Lies

German film set in the late 50s about the true story of a young prosecutor who seeked to bring to justice the nazis who served at Auschwitz. Had no idea how much the concentration camps were kept under wraps from the German public after the war. Worth a watch.

7/10

chester copperpot
7 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Trainwreck

Some good stuff, some cringeworthy humour I didn't like at all. But I liked it's honesty as a rom com 

6/10

Would ye bang a bird like Amy Schumer if you had the chance?

I would but wouldn't wanna date her.