The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Finch.

Tom Hanks, a dog and a robot go on a road trip across a post apocalyptic wasteland.

Nothing happens for two hours.

the end

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

A serviceable martial arts film that just happens to be set in the same universe as Marvel.

Let down by the usual CGI monster sky-fight at the end.

6.5/10

The Killing Fields

True story of an American journalist and his Cambodian assistant caught up in the Khmer Rouge civil war in Cambodia.

The American makes it out but his friend is left behind to face years of atrocities.

I was absolutely in bits watching this.

10/10

32 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

The Killing Fields

True story of an American journalist and his Cambodian assistant caught up in the Khmer Rouge civil war in Cambodia.

The American makes it out but his friend is left behind to face years of atrocities.

I was absolutely in bits watching this.

10/10

It’s a masterpiece. 

The Killing Fields is not only tightly based on real events, but the man playing Pran was himself a survivor of the Khmer Rouge labour camps.

It's a stunning piece of work.

Born a Champion. 7/10. skymovies. 

martial art based.    not a massive action film, mostly one on one tournament style fights.   decent film. 

9 hours ago, Cade said:

The Killing Fields is not only tightly based on real events, but the man playing Pran was himself a survivor of the Khmer Rouge labour camps.

It's a stunning piece of work.

I learned this last night after watching the film and googling the cast. Mind blown! He also won an Oscar for his performance!!

The Harder They Fall on Netflix. Enjoyable and pretty violent modern take on classic westerns. All the usual tropes are there and some good set pieces and fights. An outlaw searches for and finds the man who killed his parents. The twist is that it is an almost entirely black cast paying homage to the fact there were lots of black cowboys and gunfighters who have been written out of history in most westerns. 
A solid 7/10 for me. The usual Netflix thing that it is maybe a bit long at over 2 hours. 

Edited by Tazio

2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

The Curse of La LLorona, 2019, Netflix,,   never got going,  5/10.

That's a good series.   She's behind you! ☺

I watched The Conjuring : The Devil Made Me Do It, recently.   It was interesting.   I'd give it an 8/10 for being original and the characters.    Was entertaining  also. 

Wee link to the series time line.    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conjuring_Universe

Edited by HMFC01

24 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

That's a good series.   She's behind you! ☺

I watched The Conjuring : The Devil Made Me Do It, recently.   It was interesting.   I'd give it an 8/10 for being original and the characters.    Was entertaining  also. 

Wee link to the series time line.    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conjuring_Universe

thanks.

On 09/11/2021 at 16:12, Cade said:

Finch.

Tom Hanks, a dog and a robot go on a road trip across a post apocalyptic wasteland.

the end

Ah Cade , watched this because of Hanks , 

a decent enough watch , a bit predictable at times I’ll grant you but worth a look   7/10

ps Cade…have you got pets ?

Carl Fredrickson

Cry Macho

I have loved the last couple of films with Clint Eastwood that I watched - Grand Torino & the Mule. 

Cry Macho is a bit meh. I do enjoy a slow burner but this one failed to ignite for me 5/10

Started watching “Once Upon A Time In America” again. Haven’t watched it in a while and it’s free on Netflix.

Its epic. Very long and released in 2 parts. Managed about an hour n half last night and will finish off tonight.

Film follows the criminal careers of a group of New York street kids from their early street thefts all the way through prohibition to organised and often very violent gang warfare.

It jumps about 3 different time lines as well so can be a difficult watch the first time. It actually deserves to be watched a couple of times straight away. 

De Niro, Pesci, Woods, McGovern. Stellar cast.

Its over 3 hours long in total but trust me it’s worth it. Immerse yourself in Sergio Leones epic tale of New York gangsters. 10/10

On 09/11/2021 at 16:12, Cade said:

Finch.

the end

Currently watching this. The robot seems to be modelled on Borat.

William H. Bonney

Ghostbusters afterlife. 4/5

I took my 6 year old son to see this. We both loved it although I think he got scared a couple of times. Definitely one for people like myself who loved the original and eagerly anticipated the original cast making their cameo. 

William H. Bonney

The Accountant 4/5

First time I’ve seen this. Ben Affleck plays a savant accountant/hitman of sorts. 
Decent film with some great sequences. 

33 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

Ghostbusters afterlife. 4/5

I took my 6 year old son to see this. We both loved it although I think he got scared a couple of times. Definitely one for people like myself who loved the original and eagerly anticipated the original cast making their cameo. 

i've not seen it but it probably helps being directed by jason reitman who is the son of ivan reitman who directed the originals

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

i've not seen it but it probably helps being directed by jason reitman who is the son of ivan reitman who directed the originals

I saw it on Thursday then took my kids to see it yesterday. Kudos to Odeon Westerhails staff who  dressed up as characters from Ghostbusters. My youngest is 6 and I too was a bit concerned but she coped well. They both loved it. There is enough nostalgia in it for us oldies but with the kids being the lead characters, youngsters will buy into it too. 

The Suicide Squad. So much better than the similarly titled mess from a few years ago. A rare example of DC getting the right blend of humour and action.  Also surprised to see that Michael Rooker and Taika Watiti had small parts in it as they are Marvel Universe people. Sylvester Stallone good in it as well, when you work out who he is playing. 

7 hours ago, Tazio said:

The Suicide Squad. So much better than the similarly titled mess from a few years ago. A rare example of DC getting the right blend of humour and action.  Also surprised to see that Michael Rooker and Taika Watiti had small parts in it as they are Marvel Universe people. Sylvester Stallone good in it as well, when you work out who he is playing. 

Remember it was directed by James Gunn who did the guardians of the galaxy films and is signed on for the next gotg film

The Harder They Fall on Netflix

Classic style over substance.

Great cast. Awful script, awful soundtrack, just a really bad film 

3/10

1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

The Harder They Fall on Netflix

Classic style over substance.

Great cast. Awful script, awful soundtrack, just a really bad film 

3/10

I didn’t mind it too much but the soundtrack was badly done. They were trying to do the Peaky Blinders thing of using music from a different era but didn’t have the subtlety or good song choices. It worked the first time but grated very quickly. 

19 hours ago, Tazio said:

I didn’t mind it too much but the soundtrack was badly done. They were trying to do the Peaky Blinders thing of using music from a different era but didn’t have the subtlety or good song choices. It worked the first time but grated very quickly. 

I love a western but thought it was dreadful bordering on comical

Shanks said no

Torn

Was fortunate to get to see the premiere in the Omni tonight followed by a Q&A with Alex Lowe's wife and 2 sons. Its a National Geographic documentary telling the story of Alex Lowe's life, death and the aftermath. To say it was intense was an understatement, I actually felt it was an intrusion into a family but given that the family made it then it was their choice. Mrs F shed quite a few tears. Scoring this is really difficult but I'll give it a 

8/10

Here's a trailer as its unlikely to get a huge release

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

11 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Torn

Was fortunate to get to see the premiere in the Omni tonight followed by a Q&A with Alex Lowe's wife and 2 sons. Its a National Geographic documentary telling the story of Alex Lowe's life, death and the aftermath. To say it was intense was an understatement, I actually felt it was an intrusion into a family but given that the family made it then it was their choice. Mrs F shed quite a few tears. Scoring this is really difficult but I'll give it a 

8/10

That looks good.

On 24/11/2021 at 22:14, The Frenchman Returns said:

Torn

8/10

ill second that. It looks very good. 

24 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

Where did you watch this? Doesn’t appear to be on any channels I have. 

Downloaded from a 1337X link that works.

Rocky IV: Rocky vs Drago - The Ultimate Director's Cut    (Apple TV)

so during lockdown Stallone decided to recut the 80’s classic cheesefest and what a job he’s done. 40 minutes of new material replacing the cheese (Paulies robot etc all removed). It’s grittier with Drago more human showing his personality more. Completely different film and just superb. Still has the iconic training montages but done a lot better. Fantastic job

£8.99 to buy but available to rent from 10th Dec.  In 4K etc

Edited by 1971fozzy

Carl Fredrickson

Watched ET with my kids on Friday night. Seen it many times but not for a while. What an amazingly produced film which has influenced a lot of other films and TV shows. 9/10

Trip to the cinema today to see House of Gucci. At 2h 38m it is a bit long as I found the first half quite slow and drawn out. I havent seen her in a film before (I dont think I have anyway) but Lady Gaga was excellent. 7/10