The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

I watched "Diana; the Musical" a Netflix special.

It was excellent, a definite 10/10.  

Great singing, music, choreography, costumes.

Only one slight criticism, and that was in the casting of Camilla.  The actor was attractive.  :wink:

Carl Fredrickson

Ron's Gone Wrong

Newly released kids animation. Not too many laughs for me but a really good message. My 11 year old son loved it -one of his best pals left his school this week and this film really touched him.  My 5 year old daughter loved the bots in it. 6/10

On 16/10/2021 at 14:28, Maple Leaf said:

Only one slight criticism, and that was in the casting of Camilla.  The actor was attractive.  :wink:

9152D92A-5AD0-407E-A568-A3D61B50E0C6.gif

On 16/10/2021 at 14:28, Maple Leaf said:

Double posting 

Edited by JamesM48

“ The many saints of Newark “ 

There have been a few reviews of this here . Being a massive Sops fan I was really looking forward to this . As others have noted it’s slightly above average I would say . Probably I’m mildly disappointed . However I knew there was no way they Could achieve the heights of the tv show , particularly the outstanding cast like James Galdolfino , Lorraine Bracco , Nancy Marchand et al . However it has some style and the acting is fine . I expected more of a storyline regarding Jonny and Livia Soprano ? There relationship was often mentioned in the tv series and the Film was an ideal opportunity To illustrate it and the viewer could then understand Tony and Livia more . 

There was clearly a homage to Dr Melfi when Dick when to visit his uncle in jail and he was almost getting therapy from him . I also liked the scene when Livia was at the school and found out Tony had spoken about a “ one of the best nights of his life “ ( when she read him a bedtime story. ) it was a very touching scene . 

It’s a shame that the plot seemed to be waylaid by the black gangsters sun plot . I really couldn’t understand that really . 

Anyway I’d give it 7/10 for its acting and whacking scenes ! 😂 I also thought the actors who played Paulie and Silvio were hysterical . Vera Farmerg I felt looked really like Edi Falco ( Carmela ) I wonder if this was deliberate ? Tony marrying a woman who looks like his mom. ! 👀 

Edited by JamesM48

On 30/09/2021 at 21:19, RobNox said:

That's mine as well, really enjoyed it.  It also captured the humour that underlines the TV series.

Young Silvio has all the mannerisms that Steve Van Zandt brought to the role, but with a receding hairline that is eventually replaced by that ridiculous hairpiece, which even comes off during one of the scenes.  Also, the young Paulie Walnuts obsessed with personal hygiene.

I also loved the fact that the deceased Christopher Moltisanti acts as narrator from beyond the grave.  It was his father who was the central character in the movie, Dickie Moltisanti, and of course moltisanti translates from Italian to many saints, hence the movie's title.

I'd love to see a follow up to this movie, tracing the young Tony Soprano's rise to becoming a serious player in the family.

On 05/10/2021 at 17:44, Salad Fingers said:

Seen it last night. Wasn't too impressed to be honest. Perhaps I just expected too much as I'm a massive Sopranos fan. 

Can't put my finger on it. It definitely wasn't the acting as that was good. I wonder if they will do a second one about Tony in his late teens/early 20's as I feel there's something there. 

Yes I think there will be a follow up. It seemed to be heading that way . I think it may deal more with Jonny Soprano and Livia relationship and Tony’s rise to the top of the criminal underworld 

Салатные палочки
23 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

“ The many saints of Newark “ 

There have been a few reviews of this here . Being a massive Sops fan I was really looking forward to this . As others have noted it’s slightly above average I would say . Probably I’m mildly disappointed . However I knew there was no way they Could achieve the heights of the tv show , particularly the outstanding cast like James Galdolfino , Lorraine Bracco , Nancy Marchand et al . However it has some style and the acting is fine . I expected more of a storyline regarding Jonny and Livia Soprano ? There relationship was often mentioned in the tv series and the Film was an ideal opportunity To illustrate it and the viewer could then understand Tony and Livia more . 

There was clearly a homage to Dr Melfi when Dick when to visit his uncle in jail and he was almost getting therapy from him . I also liked the scene when Livia was at the school and found out Tony had spoken about a “ one of the best nights of his life “ ( when she read him a bedtime story. ) it was a very touching scene . 

It’s a shame that the plot seemed to be waylaid by the black gangsters sun plot . I really couldn’t understand that really

Anyway I’d give it 7/10 for its acting and whacking scenes ! 😂 I also thought the actors who played Paulie and Silvio were hysterical . Vera Farmerg I felt looked really like Edi Falco ( Carmela ) I wonder if this was deliberate ? Tony marrying a woman who looks like his mom. ! 👀 

I really didn't understand it either. There didn't seem to be any link to the series at all. 

My thinking, and I'll be careful how I say this, is that they shoe-horned a more prominent black storyline into it which previously wouldn't have been necessary. Perhaps directors are beginning to include a lot more black prominent characters in in films. It's by no means a bad thing, but like any characters, there needs to be a point to the storyline. 

I think when it was originally written, it may have been rival Italian or even Irish gangsters. I watched a couple of episodes last night and it included the ones with Meadow's black boyfriend. We all know Tony's reaction to that and the language used. I imagine in the 70's the attitude towards black people from Italians/the Mafia would be worse. 

Like I said, only my thoughts. 

Screenshot_20211018-120752_Instagram.thumb.jpg.295da27827376930e39615f4bf35d1ab.jpg

5 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I really didn't understand it either. There didn't seem to be any link to the series at all. 

My thinking, and I'll be careful how I say this, is that they shoe-horned a more prominent black storyline into it which previously wouldn't have been necessary. Perhaps directors are beginning to include a lot more black prominent characters in in films. It's by no means a bad thing, but like any characters, there needs to be a point to the storyline. 

I think when it was originally written, it may have been rival Italian or even Irish gangsters. I watched a couple of episodes last night and it included the ones with Meadow's black boyfriend. We all know Tony's reaction to that and the language used. I imagine in the 70's the attitude towards black people from Italians/the Mafia would be worse. 

Like I said, only my thoughts. 

Screenshot_20211018-120752_Instagram.thumb.jpg.295da27827376930e39615f4bf35d1ab.jpg

I actually felt that too . I felt it perhaps tokenism ? However if “ Godfather of Harlem “ is an accurate depiction of 1960/70s New York there were a few black gangster families it seems . However I can hardly think of any black character in “ The Sopranos “ apart from Meadows boyfriend . Maybe David Chase is trying to make amends ? I just felt the that plot took a lot of screen time from potential storylines between the main characters such as Livia , Jonny , Junior and even Tony 

I’ve just watched Fast & Furious 9. 

I have no words to adequately describe the experience. I’m all for a bit of suspension of disbelief when I’m watching an adventure film but this stretches it to the extreme. We all know the stunts in these films have got a bit, well, cartoony but this is really taking the piss. I won’t give things away in case anyone wants to see it but let’s just say part of the storyline of the final part of the film makes the most extreme Roger Moore Bond films look like factual documentaries. 
Didn’t hate it though 😀

9 hours ago, Tazio said:

I have no words to adequately describe the experience. I’m all for a bit of suspension of disbelief when I’m watching an adventure film but this stretches it to the extreme. We all know the stunts in these films have got a bit, well, cartoony but this is really taking the piss. I won’t give things away in case anyone wants to see it but let’s just say part of the storyline of the final part of the film makes the most extreme Roger Moore Bond films look like factual documentaries. 
Didn’t hate it though 😀

Proud to say I’ve never watched any of these films 😂

Dial M for murder. On the TCM channel yesterday afternoon. I enjoyed it. A good Hitchcock thriller. Ray Milland and Grace Kelly.

Good performances all round, especially Milland as cold and calculating.

8/10.

3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Dial M for murder. On the TCM channel yesterday afternoon. I enjoyed it. A good Hitchcock thriller. Ray Milland and Grace Kelly.

Good performances all round, especially Milland as cold and calculating.

8/10.

I met one of Hitchcocks leading ladies , the Oscar winning Teresa Wright a few years back when she did a scene by scene discussion about “ shadow of a doubt “ . She was lovely . She was sitting on the stage taking various questions about the film from the audience . She was a good age then and it was moving to see the young Teresa on screen and the older one on the stage . She spoke highly of “Hitch” and Joseph Cotten . A great experience . 

Saw No Time To Die at the flix last night. Big dissy I'm afraid. Definitely the worst of Craig's appearances as Bond. Too long, too fanciful even by Bond standards, and some of the plot just didn't connect up. Action scenes were pretty good but too many loose ends and leaps of the imagination. Now is the time to consign this franchise to history.

Edited by EH11_2NL

Malinga the Swinga

The wife and I want to Dominion for No Tune to Die. Treated ourselves to 1st class seats. First time at cinema for me since Skyfall and we'll worth it.

Thought it was great from start to finish and brought Daniel Craig segment to an end superbly. 

Music good, supporting cast good and right amount of humour mixed with violence.

10/10 from me.

37 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

The wife and I want to Dominion for No Tune to Die. Treated ourselves to 1st class seats. First time at cinema for me since Skyfall and we'll worth it.

Thought it was great from start to finish and brought Daniel Craig segment to an end superbly. 

Music good, supporting cast good and right amount of humour mixed with violence.

10/10 from me.

They've also released a musical version?  Not a bond fan anyway but that sounds terrible.  

Samuel Camazzola
22 hours ago, Tazio said:

Didn’t hate it though 😀

How much of it is set in Edinburgh? Caught a snippet of it being promoted for Sky Store and they showed a scene which looks like a guy on top of one of the open-topped tourist buses on Waterloo Place. 

2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

How much of it is set in Edinburgh? Caught a snippet of it being promoted for Sky Store and they showed a scene which looks like a guy on top of one of the open-topped tourist buses on Waterloo Place. 

A fair bit and a fantastically ridiculous car chase around the city streets. 

5 hours ago, Tazio said:

A fair bit and a fantastically ridiculous car chase around the city streets. 

Did you see the harness pulling Cena (I think) back from falling off the top of the bus.  :facepalm: of a film, absolute tripe and should be burned from all existence.

joondalupjambo

Limbo.  Filmed in South Uist.  Highlights a group of refugees living there awaiting their visa application decisions.  Focuses on one Syrian musician who left his Mum and Dad in Istanbul and his brother who remained in Syria to fight against the tyranny.  Remote, bleak locations tie in with the desperate situation the asylum seekers find themselves.  On MUBI or via a download, wink wink nod nod.  Excellent if you like a thinking film.

13 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Limbo.  Filmed in South Uist.  Highlights a group of refugees living there awaiting their visa application decisions.  Focuses on one Syrian musician who left his Mum and Dad in Istanbul and his brother who remained in Syria to fight against the tyranny.  Remote, bleak locations tie in with the desperate situation the asylum seekers find themselves.  On MUBI or via a download, wink wink nod nod.  Excellent if you like a thinking film.

This looks like the type of film you really need to be in the mood for . It took me ages to watch Ken Loach “ i Daniel Blake “ as I knew that it would be a hard watch . It was.  But incredibly powerful and moving film . This looks similar . Ill give it a bash sometime . 

13 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

This looks like the type of film you really need to be in the mood for . It took me ages to watch Ken Loach “ i Daniel Blake “ as I knew that it would be a hard watch . It was.  But incredibly powerful and moving film . This looks similar . Ill give it a bash sometime . 

joondalupjambo
10 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Yeah get what you mean but at least in Limbo the last few scenes are uplifting so you end thinking good on you, you talented bugger😃

2 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Yeah get what you mean but at least in Limbo the last few scenes are uplifting so you end thinking good on you, you talented bugger😃

Unlike “ I Daniel Blake “ ! Ken Loach is a legendary director . He really is . I’ll give that film a go when on a downer lol 

William H. Bonney

The dark and the wicked. 
A very creepy, atmospheric horror about a dying man and an evil slowly taking over the family. 

4/5. 

I watched it on shudder, Amazon prime. 

17 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

The Forgotten battle, 2021, Netflix, 7/10

I watched this at the weekend too. Same score from me. Worth a watch. 

On 23/10/2021 at 20:40, Harry Potter said:

The Trip, 2021, netflix, 3/10,    very weird.

Watched it last night, quite enjoyed it. The actor who plays the husband was the main man in Headhunters which is a cracking film.

2 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Watched it last night, quite enjoyed it. The actor who plays the husband was the main man in Headhunters which is a cracking film.

Yeah. Was better than I expected with quite a few rug pulls. Could have done with being 25 mins shorter and one scene not going on as long as it did.

Disser Pointon

Dune, 8/10, vast improvement on the 80's version...... Although I quite liked that as well!

Just don't want to wait for part 2 now.

19 hours ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Dune, 8/10, vast improvement on the 80's version...... Although I quite liked that as well!

Just don't want to wait for part 2 now.

I though it was shite.

Every character only being able to speak in single lines, or two at a push.
Saying everything as if it was some Very Weighty Important Statement With Galactic Consequences.

Colours all washed out.

Somehow at the same time giving too much exposition and not enough.

A stellar cast, but several actors seem bored and phoning it in.

Sterile is the word I've seen used to describe this film.

The fact that the studio waited to see the first week's box office returns before even giving the green light to the 2nd part tells you something.

Carl Fredrickson

Dear Evan Hansen. 

Some decent acting by some youngsters and a message that deserves to be heard BUT and it is a massive BUT I didnt realise it was a musical and as such it totally ruined the film for me. 3/10

" Peter Sellars :  A state of comic ecstasy".     This is a documentary on the BBC iplayer about him.

It was fascinating. What an outstanding talent he was. A real comedy genius as well as actor. He had his demons with mental health issues and major physical  health issues . He died at 54 of a heart attack.  Lots of great contributions on it , in particular his most famous ex wife Britt Ekland who had to leave him eventually due to his abuse and mental health induced behaviour's.  His last wife seemed  a bit of a nasty piece of work who managed to inherit all his fortune and cut out his kids from any of it. 

One of his last films is " Being there". (1979)  Its brilliant . Very similar to " Forest Gump"  where an " idiot" gets into high places in society and politics ( in real life too ) ! He is  terrific in it. Its a very quirky unusual comedy / drama

Edited by JamesM48

On 20/10/2021 at 17:38, Cade said:

Dune remake.

Shite.

Didnt see the first one. Havent read the book so had no idea what it was about. I assumed some sort of Star Wars affair. Took Mrs PJ to see this & she said s less balanced woman would have started divorce proceedings following that night out. 

Youre correct. Its utter shite!

Love And Monsters on Netflix. Post apocalyptic type of thing about a young man leaving a safe underground colony to meet his girlfriend. Except the earth has been hit by a meteorite that has transformed all the insects into huge vicious versions of themselves and killed most of mankind. 
Good fun adventure and quite amusing. A good family watch oddly but maybe not for kids under 10. 

Army Of Thieves on Netflix. Prequel of sorts to Army Of The Dead but without zombies. Written and directed by the German bloke that plays the safecracker and is his story of how he gets involved in crime and a caper ensues around Europe. 
Decent enough switch off your brain type fodder. 

Telstar: The Joe Meek Story. Been free on Amazon prime for a while but resisted watching it because all a bit before my time. Really good film about a true innovator of music. A bit silly in parts but deals with some serious issues 7/10

luckyBatistuta
5 hours ago, jim747 said:

Dune

Switched off after 40 mins.

Switched off into a deep sleep just watching the trailer

The Outpost (Prime)

True story based.

A small unit of US soldiers battle courageously against an overwhelming army of Taliban fighters in a coordinated attack deep in the valleys of Afghanistan.

not my kind of movie, watched it all and think it will be liked by most. Futile situation, such a waste of lives.

Carl Fredrickson

A wee treat today of a day with no commitments to spent the afternoon at the cinema watching two films. 

First up was Last Night in Soho which I loved. The lass playing the lead role played it well and I really enjoyed the story. Minded me a bit of early 80s Hammer House of Horror TV stuff 8/10

The second (and much longer) film was The Eternals. My apologies to any Marvel fans but I think Disney are doing all they can to cash in on any Marvel character. Well produced and some great CGI but I felt I had seen it all beforeand all of these new (to me) characters failed to engage me. Richard Madden as a superhero doesnt cut it for me as I think that a plank is a less wooden actor than him. 5/10

17 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

A wee treat today of a day with no commitments to spent the afternoon at the cinema watching two films. 

First up was Last Night in Soho which I loved. The lass playing the lead role played it well and I really enjoyed the story. Minded me a bit of early 80s Hammer House of Horror TV stuff 8/10

The second (and much longer) film was The Eternals. My apologies to any Marvel fans but I think Disney are doing all they can to cash in on any Marvel character. Well produced and some great CGI but I felt I had seen it all beforeand all of these new (to me) characters failed to engage me. Richard Madden as a superhero doesnt cut it for me as I think that a plank is a less wooden actor than him. 5/10

Thought he was excellent in Bodyguard.