The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Shanks said no

Very rare visit to the cinema tonight to see 

Our Ladies

7 / 10

as @Carl Fredrickson said it was an odd one but his review and what others told me had me ready. Gave a couple of extra points to Edinburgh, love seeing my city like that. Reckon audience was 80% female, maybe avoiding Scotland game. Music great and a few laughs, not laugh out loud though. Avoid spoilers and try to see blind.

“ Malcolm X” I watched this on the back of watching “ Godfather of Harlem “ tv show . Malcolm X is featured in this . I must say I was very disappointed with this film . It just had barely any energy and was slow . I expected it to be exciting as Malcolm X was a gifted , eloquent and powerful public speaker but none of this was in evidence in the film . I was even more surprised that Denzil Washington was just ok in it ! Spike Lee has made some great films but this was not one of his best. 

The last two nights I watched a couple that I'm I hadn't seen.  

No country for old men.  Enjoyed it but nothing spectacular.  7/10

Once soon a time in America.  Felt the same about this.  Was very long though.  7/10. 

Shanks said no

Afterlife of the Party

1/10

absolutely awful teen / ladies film that I had to endure with Mrs F last night. Gave it a point as I lasted the course. MrsF liked it and shed a tear.

netflix 

Shot Caller (Netflix)

7.5/10

Thriller about a businessman who is imprisoned and gets recruited by a gang while inside. He is then forced into carrying out a crime on his release.

23 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

Once soon a time in America.  Felt the same about this.  Was very long though.  7/10. 

What !!! Both films are classics . ! IMO 

Telford_jambo123

football factory 4/10 danny dyer pretending to be a cockney hooligan but just comes across as a throbber who

got battered in his only fight in the film

On 05/09/2021 at 18:29, Auldbenches said:

No Country For Old Men isn't a great movie. It's decent. It's got a very good 'baddie' and a great performance by TLJ but its philosophical jargon is a bit in your face and its also ****ing hard to understand a word they're mumbling. 

Edited by Savage Vince

40 minutes ago, Telford_jambo123 said:

football factory 4/10 danny dyer pretending to be a cockney hooligan but just comes across as a throbber who

got battered in his only fight in the film

Brilliant book though, as is Headhunters. 

Started watching Lansky about Myers Lansky's life being retold with Harvey Keitel as the old Myer.

Was really enjoying it but couldn't keep my peepers open and nodded off.

Shanks said no
On 09/09/2021 at 20:25, rudi must stay said:

Annette

A masterpiece

10/10

beg to differ, I absolutely hated it, watched the first hour because Marion Cotillard was starring but even I didn’t want to watch her wipe her front bottom on the loo, so

Annette

1/10

rudi must stay
10 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

beg to differ, I absolutely hated it, watched the first hour because Marion Cotillard was starring but even I didn’t want to watch her wipe her front bottom on the loo, so

Annette

1/10

Hits real form late on have another go 

Shanks said no

Lansky

7.5/10

Love a good gangster movie and this didn't disappoint. Particularly like how you could see the parallels in this true story of Meyer Lansky and Bugsy Siegel (best call him Benny) with the fictional parts played by Hyman Roth and Moe Greene in the Godfather. Harvey Keitel was interesting as the old Lansky. My only personal criticism was the side story around the biographer, I would have preferred more gangster.

17 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Worthy. It has Michael Keaton in it. ⚖️

Autocorrect getting you there.  Worth.  Just finished watching on Netflix, and really liked it.  Keaton is excellent.  It's an apt time to see it now, around the 20th anniversary of 9/11.

luckyBatistuta

Once Upon a Time..In Hollywood

Took a long time to get around to watching this and have to say that I was a tad disappointed. Quite slow, but hung in there and a bit meh really

6/10

8 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Took a long time to get around to watching this and have to say that I was a tad disappointed. Quite slow, but hung in there and a bit meh really

6/10

I'm sure I posted a seethe about that on this thread already.

Tarantino is a parody of himself these days.

It's about 90 minutes too long.

Hours of people just talking utter pish.

Lots of close up shots of women's manky feet.

Then one big bout of ultra violence at the end.

Garbage.

26 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

6/10

Was expecting a lot better with it being Tarantino.  It felt more like a bad guy Ritchie movie.  

luckyBatistuta
10 hours ago, Cade said:

Hours of people just talking utter pish.

Garbage.

Have to agree

10 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

Was expecting a lot better with it being Tarantino.  It felt more like a bad guy Ritchie movie.  

A few of my favourite films are from Tarantino, but also think some of his movies are pure garbage. Sadly this fell into the latter. A bit of a lottery with his films.

19 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

*Have to agree

A few of my favourite films are from Tarantino, but also think some of his movies are pure garbage. Sadly this fell into the latter. A bit of a lottery with his films.

Amazing. 

Doesn't stop you 2 on JKB. :)

On 13/09/2021 at 22:24, Cade said:

*Hours of people just talking utter pish.

Garbage.

22 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Have to agree

I’ve always felt he was overrated . Only film I really liked of his was “ Jackie Brown” 

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I’ve always felt he was overrated . Only film I really liked of his was “ Jackie Brown” 

Out of the ones he directed, the only ones I rate are Inglourious Basterds and Kill Bill Vol.1. I’ve never understood the mass love-in for Reservoir Dogs. It had a great cast, especially Steve Buscemi, who is one of my favourite actors, but thought it was boring as.

3 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Out of the ones he directed, the only ones I rate are Inglourious Basterds and Kill Bill Vol.1. I’ve never understood the mass love-in for Reservoir Dogs. It had a great cast, especially Steve Buscemi, who is one of my favourite actors, but thought it was boring as.

Yes I thought it was crap too and agree about Steve Buscemi . He was great in the “ Sopranos” 

34 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

some of his earlier films that he wrote are better. i.e. natural born killers which if you look at the world todau you could say was ahead of its time where media glamourises infamy/fame etc. it probably only was as good due to having oliver stone as director

luckyBatistuta
40 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes I thought it was crap too and agree about Steve Buscemi . He was great in the “ Sopranos” 

Boardwalk Empire too, great performance all around and a great series

8 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

some of his earlier films that he wrote are better. i.e. natural born killers which if you look at the world todau you could say was ahead of its time where media glamourises infamy/fame etc. it probably only was as good due to having oliver stone as director

I turned NBK off, was bored watching it. I might revisit it, as I’ve enjoyed the odd film that I’ve given a second chance. A writer on my all time favourite film True Romance, so I’ll always thank him for that.

9 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Boardwalk Empire too, great performance all around and a great series

I turned NBK off, was bored watching it. I might revisit it, as I’ve enjoyed the odd film that I’ve given a second chance. A writer on my all time favourite film True Romance, so I’ll always thank him for that.

True Romance is a work of genius. 

luckyBatistuta
12 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

True Romance is a work of genius. 

I’ve never watched any film as many times as True Romance, just so many great performances and some of the all time great scenes.

1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I’ve never watched any film as many times as True Romance, just so many great performances and some of the all time great scenes.

Aye, it's time I watched it again tbh. 😊

I thought Once upon a Time in Hollywood was damn near a 10/10.   Loved it as I do all his films.  So many memorable scenes. Think I’ve watched it 4 times and it gets better each viewing 🤷🏻‍♂️

How The West Was Won.

Classic. The stampeding buffalo scene still brilliant to this day.

Must have been over 40 years since I watched it. 

Edited by benny

19 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Utter pish.

I wish mark kermode stuck to simple reviews like this. 

Just watched Patch Adams and an enjoyable feel good movie for a quiet Friday. 

7/10   

56 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

It's set in England...

:lol: probably right.

I thought it was a cracking film.

Dead Man's Shoes

Edited by Tommy Brown

1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

Dead Man's Shoes

I better let him know on joking or I'm getting dragged over hadrian's wall.

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Dead Man's Shoes

paddy considine is excellent in it. all in it is a very good film

Nobody - Starring Bob Odenkirk. It's basically the Equaliser crossed with John Wick and it does hold a candle to both to be fair. Unoriginal but it's entertaining, for that I'll give it 7.5/10. 

rudi will give it 10/10. :lol:

Shanks said no

Everybody's Talking About Jamie

7/10

Maybe being over generous but I enjoyed it. British musical about a 16 year old in Sheffield who wants to be a drag queen. 

21 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

WHAT‽?????????

Rotten. The whole concept. But each to their own, I suppose. I like some shite films anaw. 👍 As for the other dud that quoted you, the film is less boring than it :)

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Rotten. The whole concept. But each to their own, I suppose. I like some shite films anaw. 👍 As for the other dud that quoted you, the film is less boring than it :)

What other one🥺