The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling

On demand on Sky Documentaries
It's a 4 hour documentary directed and presented by Judd Apatow across 2 parts. I'd guess the 4hr part will put off any casual viewer but for anyone who watched and was a fan of The Garry Shandling Show, or The Larry Sanders Show then this is for you. It's a look at his life and works and is both very funny and brutally honest.

It's a 10/10 for any Garry Shandling fans and a wtf for those who aren't

The Mule - Amazon Prime

clint Eastwood playing a drugs mule for a cartel. Predictable but decent. Amazing he’s still acting.

6/10

On 23/04/2021 at 20:49, Cruyff said:

A Star is Born on Netflix. Had never seen it before, absolutely loved it. Bradley Cooper is fantastic, Lady Gaga is even better. 10/10.

Didn't think I'd like this but I gave it a shot. 7.5/10 from me, very decent. Was expecting it to be a bland love story tied with a pop star's rise to fame and with a crap soundtrack, but it's as much about a man's battles with alcoholism. Both leads were excellent. 

I was right about the soundtrack though. Not my cup of tea. 

News Of The World on Netflix. Set in Texas in the 1870’s with Tom Hanks as a man who goes from town to town reading newspapers to people who accidentally ends up looking after a young girl who has been brought up by the Kiowa Indians and needs returned to her white family. 
Very good film and one of those you watch where the casting is perfect, it could only have been Tom Hanks. The young girl is fantastic as well. 
A solid 8/10 from me. 

JudyJudyJudy
6 hours ago, Tazio said:

News Of The World on Netflix. Set in Texas in the 1870’s with Tom Hanks as a man who goes from town to town reading newspapers to people who accidentally ends up looking after a young girl who has been brought up by the Kiowa Indians and needs returned to her white family. 
Very good film and one of those you watch where the casting is perfect, it could only have been Tom Hanks. The young girl is fantastic as well. 
A solid 8/10 from me. 

I really like Tom Hanks as an actor . He’s just so natural . 

On 24/04/2021 at 20:23, Vansen said:

Stowaway 

New netflix film about an accidental stowaway on a manned mission to Mars. 

Really enjoyed it, had a good amount of tension and the acting was pretty decent. 7/10

Liked the premise of the film but thought it was a bit dull.

Plus points were good acting and music score but disappointing ending. 5.5/10

If you like a good space film with drama I'd suggest watching Sunshine with Cillian Murphy and Chris Evans amongst others. 8/10

JudyJudyJudy
On 28/04/2021 at 23:54, Ray Gin said:

Didn't think I'd like this but I gave it a shot. 7.5/10 from me, very decent. Was expecting it to be a bland love story tied with a pop star's rise to fame and with a crap soundtrack, but it's as much about a man's battles with alcoholism. Both leads were excellent. 

I was right about the soundtrack though. Not my cup of tea. 

Yes it’s not bad . Lady Gaga proving she can act after her controversial performance in American horror story . A good version of a classic story . Judy Garland version still the best though in my pinion . Barbra Streisand version is just dire. 

On 29/04/2021 at 02:33, Tazio said:

A solid 8/10 from me. 

Watched this a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it, 9/10 from me!

Unforgiven - on disc

clint Eastwood in fine form. That final shootout scene is awesome. Great music and cinematography as well as Gene Hackman playing a bad ass sheriff. No wonder it swept up at the oscars in 1992 (was it that long ago jeez)

Without Remorse

Amazon. Michael B Jordan stars in this adaptation of Tom Clancy's novel. Jordan is all in performance wise, but you never shake the feeling you have seen it all before. Good not great. 6/10

rudi must stay

Nomadland

My thoughts on it are it's an original film (the Nomad lifestyle has never been depicted on the big screen) and I had no problems with it from an editing and continuity point of view. I just found it depressing and dull

6/10

Collateral (2004) - 7.5/10

Got immediate Heat vibes from this - another enjoyable Michael Mann film.

Not as good as Heat, but a very worthwhile watch nonetheless. Tom Cruise plays an excellent villain.

Edited by Ritchez

Muppetboy

Crawl, 6/10. Teenage girl tries to find her dad during a hurricane and the presence of alligators don’t help matters. Really decent effects, overall not too bad

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Muppetboy said:

Crawl, 6/10. Teenage girl tries to find her dad during a hurricane and the presence of alligators don’t help matters. Really decent effects, overall not too bad

That synopsis certainly isn’t selling it🤣🤣🤣

Muppetboy
39 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

That synopsis certainly isn’t selling it🤣🤣🤣

I know it’s a bleak set of circumstances 😱😂

Relic

Amazon (99p rental). This film has been raved about. Half way through i was restless and wondering what the fuss was about. However, the the second half is decent and the decaying house, and person, is really well shot, if bleak, with a reasonably poignant ending. 6/10 

Muppetboy
10 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Things heard and seen. Netflix. Had high hopes for this haunted house drama, turned out to be shit. 4/10

Weakened Offender
19 hours ago, Vansen said:

Relic

Amazon (99p rental). This film has been raved about. Half way through i was restless and wondering what the fuss was about. However, the the second half is decent and the decaying house, and person, is really well shot, if bleak, with a reasonably poignant ending. 6/10 

I thought it was excellent. The young lassie was brilliant in it and the ending was horrifically heartbreaking. 

Weakened Offender
On 27/04/2021 at 18:36, Vansen said:

Sputnik

Netflix. Really enjoyed this Russian language sci fi horror about a Cosmonaut returning to earth with an alien hitching a ride inside him. Quite a dark, gory film at times :behead:

7.5/10

Definitely worth a watch, I enjoyed it. 

Shanks said no

Casuals: The Story of the Legendary Terrace Fashion 

6.5/10

interesting enough documentary that focussed more on the fashion than violence. Completely spoilt by 2 Motherwell knobends 

available on Amazon Prime

Shanks said no

The Frank Matthews Story

7/10

Supposedly the black drug dealing king in the early 70s. Documentary telling of his rise and subsequent disappearance off the face of the earth with a huge sum of money. Loved the stories around his gang v the Italians. As many of the contributors were old associates, who had clearly sampled the goods, some of it had to be taken with a pinch of salt. 

available on Amazon Prime

Disser Pointon
12 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Unhinged, 2020, Sky Cinema,  Russell Crowe  as a very angry man, 😮, 7/10.

Not to mention a very fat man, wtf!!??

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Not to mention a very fat man, wtf!!??

Aye, hes put on a couple of pounds.

Samuel Camazzola
14 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Unhinged, 2020, Sky Cinema,  Russell Crowe  as a very angry man, 😮, 7/10.

Rumour has it he based the character on many a Leither on 20th May 2012. 

Harry Potter
59 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Rumour has it he based the character on many a Leither on 20th May 2012. 

😃

Muppetboy
On 03/05/2021 at 10:25, luckyBatistuta said:

Limitless, 8/10

bradley Cooper on a super drug making him capable of amazing things. Really enjoyed it

Muppetboy

The king, 8/10, Netflix. Really enjoyed this film. Would definitely recommend 

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Muppetboy said:

The king, 8/10, Netflix. Really enjoyed this film. Would definitely recommend 

What’s going on. It keeps sending me alerts that your responding to my posts, but they’re not my posts. They’re all dated 03/05/21 at 10.25 too🤷‍♂️🤪

Muppetboy

I know, I’ve been replying to topics and it’s keeping your quotes in the reply box. Strange

luckyBatistuta
13 hours ago, Muppetboy said:

I know, I’ve been replying to topics and it’s keeping your quotes in the reply box. Strange

Just happened again on another thread with a different poster, weird🤪 

On 27/09/2010 at 20:38, Midloth_Iain said:

Was the last film I saw at the cinema too. Not quite as good as the "dragon tattoo" but still excellent :thumbsup:

Had a couch day yesterday - Sky+ rerun of "Tomorrow Never Dies" . One of Brosnan's best. :)

Just started watching this again last night, will watch the second half later. Great film. 

The remake with Daniel Craig was good too. I preferred him as Blomqvist but thought Noomi Rapace was a better Salander.

Muppetboy

Bird box, 7/10. Sandra bullock and Sarah Paulson in a film about mass suicides occurring and the force causing them. Really quite decent

Muppetboy

Watched some of the horror his house on Netflix on a website recommendation, was crap, 5/10

rewatched the original wrong turn, still gives me the creeps, 8/10

rudi must stay

Fish Tank

This is a fresh and exciting film. I wouldn't say much as to not ruin it but what I say is it is very original and has a great turn from Michael Fassbender, one of the greats for me. Makes it look very easy. On Netflix

8/10

1971fozzy

The Sound of Metal - Amazon Prime.

superb film about a drummer who loses his hearing and the emotional journey as a result. Very well acted and easy to see how it was up for so many awards

8/10

Edited by 1971fozzy

Unknown user
29 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

superb film about a drummer who loses his hearing and the emotional journey as a result. Very well acted and easy to see how it was up for so many awards

8/10

Sounds interesting I'll check that out

17 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Sounds interesting I'll check that out

It’s very good. Excellent performances and a great sound design. 

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

8/10

and a special mention for Paul Raci in the supporting role

Shanks said no

Blinded by the light

7/10

Random pick off Netflix which was actually quite enjoyable and just what the doctor ordered after 2 days of politics and the vermin reaching the final. A Pakistani lad in Luton trying to find his place in late 80's England. Great soundtrack and a real feel good movie. Both Mrs F and I liked it.

10 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Interesting that his parents were deaf. 

1971fozzy
2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Absolutely 👍👍

rudi must stay
10 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Blinded by the light

7/10

Random pick off Netflix which was actually quite enjoyable and just what the doctor ordered after 2 days of politics and the vermin reaching the final. A Pakistani lad in Luton trying to find his place in late 80's England. Great soundtrack and a real feel good movie. Both Mrs F and I liked it.

Yes I was maybe too generous. I recommend Fish Tank, really different 

Weakened Offender
13 hours ago, Muppetboy said:

Watched some of the horror his house on Netflix on a website recommendation, was crap, 5/10

rewatched the original wrong turn, still gives me the creeps, 8/10

I thought His House was really good and damn creepy. 

Muppetboy
1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

I thought His House was really good and damn creepy. 

Maybe I’m being too critical. Watched it follows, really good film, music is an acquired taste tho