The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

JudyJudyJudy

“ Hud”  Paul Newman Patricia Neal Melvyn Douglas and Brandon De Wilde , never seen this film before but really enjoyed it tonight . It’s def a classic . Great performances from the cast . Excellent drama . 

Nobody. Enjoyed better call Saul actor bob odenkirk as a badass former military man fighting against Russian bad guys. 7/10

Tenet

7/10

Not the easiest to follow wtf is going on at times, suspect it'll be a film I enjoy more on second viewing. 

maroonblood

Ma Rainey, felt like an adapted stage play (which it was). Performances were individually great but all the parts didn't add up to make the film as good as I hoped.

rudi must stay

Promising Young Woman

What an interesting piece of work. Mulligan is excellent and the music used works a treat. Thats what I watch films for those moments that raises it. That's why I give so many 10s, and this has plenty of those moments that make you go "wow that's a cool scene". Saying that I thought the humour in this wasn't right and was inappropriate so a mark down for that

9/10

A bit behind the curve but eventually got around to watching American Hustle. I really wanted to see it when it came out but never got my arse into gear. Great cast and performances and superb production design. And Amy Adams. Woof! 
8/10. 

Tommy Brown

The Infiltrator (Prime)

Bryan Cranston 

Robert Mazur, a US Customs Service agent, goes undercover to expose drug trafficking and money laundering. He soon becomes a pivotal figure in bringing down various money laundering organisations. 

Good movie. Recommend.

JudyJudyJudy
13 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Promising Young Woman

What an interesting piece of work. Mulligan is excellent and the music used works a treat. Thats what I watch films for those moments that raises it. That's why I give so many 10s, and this has plenty of those moments that make you go "wow that's a cool scene". Saying that I thought the humour in this wasn't right and was inappropriate so a mark down for that

9/10

I thought the  humour was very savage and biting. It was very appropriate as the subject matter is a real tirade against male violence against women.  Its a brilliant film i think.  Outstanding. 

11 hours ago, Tazio said:

A bit behind the curve but eventually got around to watching American Hustle. I really wanted to see it when it came out but never got my arse into gear. Great cast and performances and superb production design. And Amy Adams. Woof! 
8/10. 

Never seen this yet but Amy Adams is such a chameleon of an actress. Terrific as the novice nun in " Doubt" and also in the stunning " Arrival" ( that film has to be seen to be believed). 

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

Gregory's Girl

A few scenes I thought were good. Overall I didn't feel the film worked

6/10

An acting masterclass from Dee Hepburn.

She was even better in Crossroads.

:whistling:

The Trial of the Chicago 7 - Netflix 

story of the 7 on trial for inciting riots against the Vietnam war. Stars Eddie Redmayne and Sacha Baron Cohen.

decent movie with our very own Ali-G putting in a powerhouse of a performance. Shocking how that trial went by the judge and federal prosecutors.

8/10

Tommy Brown
On 18/04/2021 at 22:34, 1971fozzy said:

story of the 7 on trial for inciting riots against the Vietnam war. Stars Eddie Redmayne and Sacha Baron Cohen.

decent movie with our very own Ali-G putting in a powerhouse of a performance. Shocking how that trial went by the judge and federal prosecutors.

8/10

Thought  it was a great movie filled with a lot of unexpected (to me anyway) LOL moments.

Would well recommend this, loved it.

I generally never rewatch a movie, I think I want to, just to catch things that went by me first time.

It's a disgraceful story.

rudi must stay

Night In Paradise

Gratuitous violence for 2 hours. Quite stylish though, nicely shot. It's on Netflix 

6/10

Dagger Is Back
On 18/04/2021 at 16:48, Tommy Brown said:

Dee Hepburn!! Responsible for many a crusty sock

Dagger Is Back
On 18/04/2021 at 16:48, Tommy Brown said:

Dee Hepburn!! Responsible for many a crusty sock

JudyJudyJudy

" The sound of metal"     2021 

with Riz Ahmed and Paul Raci.  Really exceptional film. I enjoyed it . Great acting from both these actors. Good storyline about a musician who becomes death then has surgery and has to choose a life in deaf culture or hearing.  The sound in the film was amazing as a lot of it was from the main characters hearing perspective.  Both actors are nominated at the Oscars and i wouldnt complain if either won but its a very tight race in both female and male awards this year. 8/10 from me 

Was on Facebook and came across a clip of a film called powder from 1995. Stuck with the clip and I’m just wondering if anyone on here has seen it?

52 minutes ago, Muppetboy said:

Was on Facebook and came across a clip of a film called powder from 1995. Stuck with the clip and I’m just wondering if anyone on here has seen it?

I really liked it, not seen it for a few years now, might have to give it a re-watch.

On 17/04/2021 at 22:10, rudi must stay said:

Promising Young Woman

9/10

I thought this film was excellent.  I just watched it a few nights ago.  

I don't know if I am looking at this in too much detail but my only criticism is the 'narrative'.  I can't help feel this 'all men are rapists' and the 'college campus rape culture' narrative that we see constantly throughout media now is getting highly offensive.

That aside, I loved it, I thought she looked stunning with her blonde hair and expecially stunning as the nurse at the end.

8.8/10

11 hours ago, Muppetboy said:

Yeah saw it years ago. It was ok. 

Director was found guilty of sexually assaulting a minor (and child actor) in an earlier film. Did some time for it. Went on to make Jeepers Creepers, which I quite like. 

Understandably, he has trouble financing and making films now. 

The Day of our Lord

Spanish exorcism film on netflix. Different take on the genre, some cheesy lines but not too bad  6/10

The Cleansing Hour

Another exorcism film, this time on Shudder (accessed from amazon) Heard good things about this and had another different take on the genre. Absolute garbage. Turned it off.

0/10.  And thats being generous

On 14/04/2021 at 13:07, Ron Burgundy said:

Really, surprised at that. Thought it had the makings of a classic.

😲

:rofl:

Sorry, scrolling down the page again. And this just makes me laugh. 

Love and Monsters. Not great and not bad. Did its job. 

The Sister Brothers

7/10

(netflix)

Decent Western adventure with Jouquin Phoenix, Jake Gyllenhaal, John C Reilly and Riz Ahmed. 

Tommy Brown

Crown Heights (2017  Prime)

True story of a wrongful murder conviction in NY. A short film at 1hr 39, but not a lot of depth in the story. But a decent watch all the same. 

A Star is Born on Netflix. Had never seen it before, absolutely loved it. Bradley Cooper is fantastic, Lady Gaga is even better. 10/10.

Sound Of Metal on Amazon. 
Very good film with great lead performances and great writing. Ironically for a film about someone going deaf a good sound system really helps get the most out of it. Also ironically at the moments of total silence all I could hear was my own damaged hearing and constant tinnitus which I have no doubt is caused by a mix of going to gigs and years of working on them and having night after night of being exposed to massive volumes for hours on end. 
Riz Ahmed is a pretty good shout for the Oscar. 
8/10. 

MORTAL KOMBAT

Reboot of the video game franchise.

Not a film you need a good story but it does deliver on great fighting scenes and plenty violence like the games.

If you like that sort of movie this is for you.

Also Kano steals all the scenes he is in.

8/10

JudyJudyJudy
On 22/04/2021 at 14:41, i8hibsh said:

I thought this film was excellent.  I just watched it a few nights ago.  

I don't know if I am looking at this in too much detail but my only criticism is the 'narrative'.  I can't help feel this 'all men are rapists' and the 'college campus rape culture' narrative that we see constantly throughout media now is getting highly offensive.

That aside, I loved it, I thought she looked stunning with her blonde hair and expecially stunning as the nurse at the end.

8.8/10

It is an excellent film . She was exceptional in it. I dont think the film was saying " all men " were rapists but it was saying all men have the potential to be. There is a diference. In particular it was shown how when she pretended she was drunk the majority of men tried it on with her even though they assumed she was so drunk she was unable to consent. There were decent male characters in it  too like the lawyer ( a really fine cameo from Alfred Molina) . I cant understand why you find the college camp rape culture " narrative" highly offensive.? Shouldnt you be more offended about the rape culture per sa? 

JudyJudyJudy

"Mank"  with Gary Oldman and Amanda Seyfried.   This was not bad.  I enjoyed it. Its about the screen writer Herman Mankiewicz  and his input to the screenplay for the classic and incredible for its time film " Citizen Kane".  Its funny at times but more of a drama. Amanda Seyfried was great at the silent actress Marion Davies ( who was really unfairly maligned in the film Citizen Kane as a bimbo and no talent when in fact she was an exceptional comedy actress) . The film looks great and it really conjures up old Hollywood with its look and costumes etc.  Oldman really is such a great actor . Hard to beleive its the same actor as Oswald in " JFK" or Mason Verger in " Hannibal"  Doubt it will win the major Oscars though. Ive seen 4/5 Best actor nominees and Id still vote for Hopkins with Riz Ahmed a close second. 

15 hours ago, Madjambo21 said:

MORTAL KOMBAT

Reboot of the video game franchise.

Not a film you need a good story but it does deliver on great fighting scenes and plenty violence like the games.

If you like that sort of movie this is for you.

Also Kano steals all the scenes he is in.

8/10

watched this last night, was one of those park your brain watches that was decent 6.5/10

it is clearly setting up for at least one sequel

55 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

watched this last night, was one of those park your brain watches that was decent 6.5/10

it is clearly setting up for at least one sequel

Defo my sort of film then 😁

Read that the guy that plays sub zero (Joe Taslim) has signed on for 4 movies if the studio give it the green light

Stowaway 

New netflix film about an accidental stowaway on a manned mission to Mars. 

Really enjoyed it, had a good amount of tension and the acting was pretty decent. 7/10

On 23/04/2021 at 20:49, Cruyff said:

A Star is Born on Netflix. Had never seen it before, absolutely loved it. Bradley Cooper is fantastic, Lady Gaga is even better. 10/10.

Superb film. Brilliant

rudi must stay

Sound Of Metal

Loved it. A commentary on our world at the moment, for the better and for the worse. It worked absolutely brilliantly and Riz Ahmed makes a tough shift look very easy. As for originality it is a very original piece of work, sit back relax and watch a great film on Amazon Prime and it gets a 10. I give too many some say but I love film

10/10

Tommy Brown

Pieces of a Woman (Prime)

A harrowing tale of a loss of a child at birth.

Not for me, birth scene which took up a good early part of the film was very tense.

Story afterwards,  nah.

Official Secrets (Netflix)

True story of GCHQ worker, who leaked a memo to the Observer pre Iraq war.

Recommend, well put together.

21 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I cant understand why you find the college camp rape culture " narrative" highly offensive.? Shouldnt you be more offended about the rape culture per sa? 

I wish this was a different thread as this thread is no place for my response but with the risk of being provocative all I will say is that although rape certainly exists, a 'culture' of it does not.

On 16/04/2021 at 21:19, Muppetboy said:

Nobody. Enjoyed better call Saul actor bob odenkirk as a badass former military man fighting against Russian bad guys. 7/10

Same score from me despite being so far fetched nonsense.

Enjoyable violent nonsense.

1922. Decent film on Netflix about a family living on a Nebraska farm. Things turn sinister soon enough with good performances from the male lead

1922. Decent film on Netflix about a family living on a Nebraska farm. Things turn sinister soon enough with good performances from the male lead. 6/10

JudyJudyJudy

Oscars on tonight good luck Sir Anthony Hopkins for “ the father “ and Carey Mulligan for “ Promising  young woman” . Doubt Hopkins will win but he should but good chance Mulligan will . Apparently she is near favourite but I think Frances Mcdormand ‘May which I haven’t a problem as she is terrific in “ Nomadland” think it will win best picture and director . 

16 hours ago, Muppetboy said:

1922. Decent film on Netflix about a family living on a Nebraska farm. Things turn sinister soon enough with good performances from the male lead. 6/10

I thought that was the most depressing film I'd ever seen. 

JudyJudyJudy

Great Oscar results.  Brilliant that Anthony Hopkins won for " The Father""  He was just incredible in this film and so deserved it. Good to see the academy not feel the pressure of certain groups to give the award to Chadwick Boseman  in " Ma raineys black bottom" just because he had died and possibly due to him being a man of colour. The award should be about the performance and nothing else. They got it right.  Shame Sir Anthony wasnt there to collect it in person as this was special moment for him but he probably felt it wasnt worth  attending. 

Frances Mcdormand a worthy best actress winner too, She now has 3 Best actress Oscars , one behind Katherine Hepburn ( who ironically won a couple out of sentiment and not performance).  Happy  that " Nomadland" won Best film and Best director . It is exceptional. 

The Midnight Sky

Netflix. Slow, thoughtful film about a space mission returning to an apocalyptic Earth. About 5 minutes in i didnt think I would enjoy this but kept with it and glad I did. Won't be for everyone though. 7/10

Tenaciousdandy

Watched the new mortal Kombat the other night, was OK for what it is, pretty gory and good fun

Got Nobody on now with Bob odenkirk, it's pretty entertaining for vigilante film 

Sputnik

Netflix. Really enjoyed this Russian language sci fi horror about a Cosmonaut returning to earth with an alien hitching a ride inside him. Quite a dark, gory film at times :behead:

7.5/10

Edited by Vansen