The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

rudi must stay
13 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes Tommy . Like i said its just a brillaint peice of REAL British life. Warts and all ( usually genital ones! ) It was a welcome change from snooty middle class or upper class Hugh Grant type films as they often portray a narrow view of British culture. Most Americans I know think we live like " Downtown Abbey" but i always recommend this film. Its so well written and has an outstanding cast too.  It did get very good reviews. Always reminds me of growing up on a council estate with all the different characters. Thats a brilliant tune as well   Yes Alan Clarke was a great film maker. 

He made a visually very good film called The Firm 

Coming2America

5/10

Very disappointed. Quite a few regurgitated gags from the original and all in all was pretty boring.

Massive plot hole in the fact that it takes place 30 years after the original but none of the old boys in the barber shop seem to have aged.

JudyJudyJudy

Watched “ Promising young woman “ tonight and it was fantastic . It’s almost a satire . It’s funny , harsh and biting and cleverly chips away at male privilege with women in society especially in relation to sex and  how many men just view women as easy prey and there for the taken with or without consent Well hard luck for them as the main character played by Carey Mulligan is out for revenge against man who raped her best friend in high school . It’s very  comic but also dark and moving . She is fantastic in it . The Oscar race for best actress is one of the best ever apparently and I wouldn’t be surprised if she won it. It’s a hard watch because it’s so true 

Shanks said no
20 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Watched “ Promising young woman “ tonight and it was fantastic . It’s almost a satire . It’s funny , harsh and biting and cleverly chips away at male privilege with women in society especially in relation to sex and  how many men just view women as easy prey and there for the taken with or without consent Well hard luck for them as the main character played by Carey Mulligan is out for revenge against man who raped her best friend in high school . It’s very  comic but also dark and moving . She is fantastic in it . The Oscar race for best actress is one of the best ever apparently and I wouldn’t be surprised if she won it. It’s a hard watch because it’s so true 

I have watched them all and my rating would be

1.  Carey Mulligan (Promising Young Woman)  
2. Andra Day (The United States vs Billie Holiday)

3. Vanessa Kirby (Pieces of a Woman)

4. Frances McDormand (Nomadland)

5. Viola Davis (Ma Rainey's Black Bottom)   

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Not seen them all yet . Now watching " PIeces of a woman" so two more to go then ill give my opinion

Shanks said no

Another round

8/10

Really enjoyable Danish film about four men who experiment in staying drunk. Would love to try myself but family history would indicate it not being a very good idea. Up for 2 Oscars (Director and Foreign film) and 4 Baftas

ArcticJambo
12 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Another round

8/10

Really enjoyable Danish film about four men who experiment in staying drunk. Would love to try myself but family history would indicate it not being a very good idea. Up for 2 Oscars (Director and Foreign film) and 4 Baftas

It is good isn't it.  There's bits in it that seem somewhat off-the wall but maybe that's just the Danes for you. :lol:

ArcticJambo
15 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

14 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Not seen them all yet . Now watching " PIeces of a woman" so two more to go then ill give my opinion

I too am yet to see Pieces of a Woman but so far I'd have it this way:

1= Andra Day/Viola Davis (probably favouring the former as simply put there's more required of her part)

3. Carey Mulligan

4. Frances McDormand

Dunno, I couldn't really get into PYW for some reason; had a kinda Clueless/Frineds type feel to it, and I guess that's obviously affected my ranking.

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

I too am yet to see Pieces of a Woman but so far I'd have it this way:

1= Andra Day/Viola Davis (probably favouring the former as simply put there's more required of her part)

3. Carey Mulligan

4. Frances McDormand

Dunno, I couldn't really get into PYW for some reason; had a kinda Clueless/Frineds type feel to it, and I guess that's obviously affected my ranking.

Oh I thought it was brilliant . Yes it had a daft “ clueless “ look to it but that was deliberate as those kind of films have women as usually dim witted bimbos with no depth unlike the main character in “ Promising young woman” it really was a savage indictment of men ( some ) and their toxicity towards women . 

ArcticJambo
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh I thought it was brilliant . Yes it had a daft “ clueless “ look to it but that was deliberate as those kind of films have women as usually dim witted bimbos with no depth unlike the main character in “ Promising young woman” it really was a savage indictment of men ( some ) and their toxicity towards women . 

Fair enough, James, that makes sense.  I watched Mank first then thought I'd plough through the rest of the BP nominees, and I say plough as reading their basic plots none appealed tbqh so probably biased against everything I saw thereafter.

JudyJudyJudy
18 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Fair enough, James, that makes sense.  I watched Mank first then thought I'd plough through the rest of the BP nominees, and I say plough as reading their basic plots none appealed tbqh so probably biased against everything I saw thereafter.

I see . I’ll have a look at the other bead film nominees too . See What I fancy 

Shanks said no
25 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I see . I’ll have a look at the other bead film nominees too . See What I fancy 

Fill your boots, thought I may as well put them in my and Mrs F's order of preference

Best Picture
The Father

Promising Young Woman

Sound of Metal

Minari

Nomadland

Mank

Judas and the Black Messiah

The Trial of the Chicago 7

Edited by The Frenchman Returns
wrong order

ArcticJambo

Haven't watched Judas or Sound of Metal but ....

Mank

Minari

The Father

Promising Young Woman

Trial of Chicago 7

Nomadland

Tbh, the last three listed could probably go in any order depending upon how I feel that night.  I wouldn't watch any of them a second time with the exception of Mank, I thought it brilliant!

Edited by ArcticJambo

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Fill your boots, thought I may as well put them in my and Mrs F's order of preference

Best Picture
The Father

Promising Young Woman

Sound of Metal

Minari

Nomadland

Mank

Judas and the Black Messiah

The Trial of the Chicago 7

I really fancy “ sound of metal” as the lad in it is a terrific actor. riz Ahmed I think his name is ? “ the father “ looks great too as it’s got Sir Anthony in it . Our best British actor . “ Judas and the messiah “ looks good too 

Shanks said no
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I really fancy “ sound of metal” as the lad in it is a terrific actor. riz Ahmed I think his name is ? “ the father “ looks great too as it’s got Sir Anthony in it . Our best British actor . “ Judas and the messiah “ looks good too 

Hopkins should walk the best actor, absolutely no one comes close, unfortunately its looking like a posthumous award.

Calamity Jane

10/10

Some of the classics age really well and some not so much.

This one fits perfectly in the first category.

As brilliant as the first time I ever watched it.

The entire cast was brilliant.

JudyJudyJudy
44 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Hopkins should walk the best actor, absolutely no one comes close, unfortunately its looking like a posthumous award.

Yes I think you may be right . Unlucky for Sir Anthony 

rudi must stay

Palms Springs

A perfectly adequate comedy, had some real laugh out loud moments. I recommend it to those with Amazon 

7/10

Carl Fredrickson

Thunder Force on Netflix. Family film that made the kids laugh and I chuckled at a few bits. Decent but not great 6/10

Harry Potter

The Hitcher, Sean Bean as a very mad hitchhiker, my wife jumped out her seat 3 times 

during this scary film,😂, bit far fetched but kept me glued to the screen.

7/10, Netflix, 2007.

Edited by Harry Potter

JudyJudyJudy

The poor mans Oscars the Baftas are on tonight.  The nominations are mainly a joke. IN particular the Best actress nominees where many of the best performances have been snubbed. Bafta as usual going for the obscure people just to cause controversy really and publicity. 

Shanks said no
6 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

The poor mans Oscars the Baftas are on tonight.  The nominations are mainly a joke. IN particular the Best actress nominees where many of the best performances have been snubbed. Bafta as usual going for the obscure people just to cause controversy really and publicity. 

Four BAFTAs for Nomadland: Best Film, Director, Leading Actress, Cinematography
Two BAFTAs for Promising Young Woman: Outstanding British Film, Original Screenplay
Two BAFTAs for The Father: Adapted Screenplay, Leading Actor
Two BAFTAs for Sound of Metal: Sound, Editing
Two BAFTAs for Soul: Animated Film, Original Score
Two BAFTAs for Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom: Costume Design, Make Up & Hair
Daniel Kaluuya wins Supporting Actor for Judas and the Black Messiah
Yuh-Jung Youn wins Supporting Actress for Minari
Bukky Bakray wins the EE Rising Star Award

Highlighted those I strongly agree with, delighted for Hopkins since I seem to the only one who has seen the Father

JudyJudyJudy
22 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Four BAFTAs for Nomadland: Best Film, Director, Leading Actress, Cinematography
Two BAFTAs for Promising Young Woman: Outstanding British Film, Original Screenplay
Two BAFTAs for The Father: Adapted Screenplay, Leading Actor
Two BAFTAs for Sound of Metal: Sound, Editing
Two BAFTAs for Soul: Animated Film, Original Score
Two BAFTAs for Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom: Costume Design, Make Up & Hair
Daniel Kaluuya wins Supporting Actor for Judas and the Black Messiah
Yuh-Jung Youn wins Supporting Actress for Minari
Bukky Bakray wins the EE Rising Star Award

Highlighted those I strongly agree with, delighted for Hopkins since I seem to the only one who has seen the Father

Yes I was happy with best actress and actor . Great to see Hopkins win another bafta . Nice to see “ promising young women “ win a couple too 

Edited by JamesM48

Watched The Social Dilemma on Netflix.  A docu-drama around social media. That "like" tab on FB & Twitter has a lot to answer for it seems. 8/10 

Edited by Marvin
Spelling

Another Round

8/10

Mads Mikkelsen is excellent, as usual, in this film about a group of teachers who experiment with keeping their blood alcohol level above 0.05% for optimal performance in life. 

JudyJudyJudy
11 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Another Round

8/10

Mads Mikkelsen is excellent, as usual, in this film about a group of teachers who experiment with keeping their blood alcohol level above 0.05% for optimal performance in life. 

He is one of my favourite actors.  So good. Was terrific in " Hannibal " as well. Nearly, as good as Sir Anthony. I noticed he got nominated for Best Actor at the Baftas for this film too. 

JudyJudyJudy

" Pieces of a woman" with Vanessa Kirby Ellen Burstyn and Shia La beouf.  Harrowing beginning to this film as the main character gives birth to baby who dies almost immediately. Its also a very long scene . around 20 minutes. One of my friends and his partner experienced this exact thing so I can well imagine it must have been a truly awful experience. The repercussions from this affect the couples marriage and other relationships with the family. Its so well acted . The lead KIrby is nominated for best actress at the Oscars and deservedly so. She gives a really powerful performance and is actually at times quite unlikable which is a surprise due to the subject matter but its intentional . Ellen Burstyn provides a fine performance too ( shes always been great) and so does Shia. 

" Ma raineys black bottom"  With Viola Davis and Chadwick Roseman.  Mostly true story about the blues singer Ma Rainey recording her famous song in a sweltering studio with other musicians.  Davis is superb in this. I thought she was so funny at times and just really carried the whole film as the outrageous prima donna Ma Rainey.  Its superb. Shes a hoot.  She is nominated for the Oscar best actress and her co star Roseman is up for best actor.  He is fine too. I am unsure about the accuracy of what happens at the end of the film to be honest but it does become very dark.  

" The United states versus Billie Holliday"   True story  about how the FBI hassled and basically drove Ms Holliday to an early grave. They planted drugs on her a few times. They hounded her mainly because she was insistent on  wanting to sing one of her songs . the legendary " Strange fruit" ,  this song which explicitly  recounts how black people were lynched in the deep south.  The FBI didnt want her to sing the song at any of her concerts as they were worried it would cause tensions and riots. It did and for the right reasons.  Its a really hard watch as this beautiful talented woman was eventually brought down due to this and her drug addiction too , which started at an early age. She also had an abusive childhood to boot.  But there are some great uplifting scenes and if you are a fan of her music ( I am) your in for a treat. The lead performance from  a newcomer Andra Day is just sensational. It really is. Its hard to believe she hasn't acted before. She is Holiday in this film.  This film is so superior to " Judy" last year which was about the chaotic end life of Judy Garland. Both these women had their demons but were supremely talented. But " Judy" was filled with many historical inaccuracies and was fairly un exciting. This film is the real deal.

So ive now watched all 5 Best Actress performances and my votes would from the best to less best as i think this year has been outstanding for this category

1.  Andra Day 

2. Carey Mulligan

3. Frances Mc dormand

4. Viola Davis

5. Vanessa Kirby

47 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

He is one of my favourite actors.  So good. Was terrific in " Hannibal " as well. Nearly, as good as Sir Anthony. I noticed he got nominated for Best Actor at the Baftas for this film too. 

Yeah he was great in Hannibal. He is also excellent in The Hunt, Pusher and Arctic.

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Yeah he was great in Hannibal. He is also excellent in The Hunt, Pusher and Arctic.

I havent seen any of these films but just checked them on "IMDB" and they all look terrific. More films to watch. He is excellent. 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

I havent seen any of these films but just checked them on "IMDB" and they all look terrific. More films to watch. He is excellent. 

You can get The Hunt and Arctic on Netflix, and Pusher (also starring Kim Bodnia from The Bridge/Killing Eve) is on Prime

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

You can get The Hunt and Arctic on Netflix, and Pusher (also starring Kim Bodnia from The Bridge/Killing Eve) is on Prime

Great saves me watching it on my stick as the stream can go off. Thanks for that. Well i love my Nordic noir shows so these looks superb . Just love the scenery and I also concentrate more on the films too as I need to read the subtitles if that makes sense? Cant be on my phone half the time while watching subtitles.  

rudi must stay
8 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Kodachrome

A film with a conscience. Watch it Kickback

10/10

It's on Netflix 

JudyJudyJudy

" The father" with Anthony Hopkins and Olivia Coleman.  

Sir Anthony plays an older man descending into terminal dementia.  The film cleverly plays havoc with time . dates . faces etc so one gets the complete feeling how a person with dementia must suffer. Its very harrowing and moving. The scene with him in the hospital at the end is incredibly moving and heart breaking .  Its another acting masterclass from our best actor by a mile.  I really hope he wins the Best Actor Oscar as he is just brilliant but got a feeling that it will be award to Chadwick Boseman as a posthumous award for " Ma raineys black bottom"    To rub it in even more his role is a  supporting role.  Shame as Sir Anthony deserves it. Olivia Coleman also shines in the role of his daughter , giving a beautiful sensitive performance.  

10./10 

Ron Burgundy
8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Godzilla v Kong. I'm so disappointed, it is utter tripe. 

Really, surprised at that. Thought it had the makings of a classic.

😲

10 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Really, surprised at that. Thought it had the makings of a classic.

😲

:D

I usually love all this stuff. But it's nae Valley of Gwangi. 

Shanks said no
10 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Sir Anthony plays an older man descending into terminal dementia.  The film cleverly plays havoc with time . dates . faces etc so one gets the complete feeling how a person with dementia must suffer. Its very harrowing and moving. The scene with him in the hospital at the end is incredibly moving and heart breaking .  Its another acting masterclass from our best actor by a mile.  I really hope he wins the Best Actor Oscar as he is just brilliant but got a feeling that it will be award to Chadwick Boseman as a posthumous award for " Ma raineys black bottom"    To rub it in even more his role is a  supporting role.  Shame as Sir Anthony deserves it. Olivia Coleman also shines in the role of his daughter , giving a beautiful sensitive performance.  

10./10 

Agree completely

11 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

10./10 

Can I ask where you saw this ? I’d love to get it but can’t find where ? Thanks

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

Can I ask where you saw this ? I’d love to get it but can’t find where ? Thanks

I watched it online 

Edited by JamesM48