The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Just now, rudi must stay said:

The Call

Utterly gripping. On Netflix

10/10

You’re getting a bit trigger happy with the 10/10 scores recently. 

rudi must stay
4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

You’re getting a bit trigger happy with the 10/10 scores recently. 

Maybe so. 8 then 

2 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Maybe so. 8 then 

Sorry mate, just thought I’d mention it as 3 out of your last 4 were ranked that highly. In my world you’re lucky if there’s one 10/10 in a year. 

Shanks said no
9 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

Movies I've watched in the last few weeks. Oscar related ...

Nomadland

Mank

The Trial of the Chicago 7

Promising Young Woman

One Night in Miami

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom

Hillbilly Elegy

Another Round (Druk - Binge Drinking in Danish :lol: )

I'm going to try and get to Minari, and The Father after your review. I wanted to watch the rest of the Best Picture nominees but frankly they just sound a bit meh.

Anyway, I was surprised at your scoring of Mank; for me it's the standout!  It looks fantastic, Director Fincher continually has the angles/shots changing and the dialogue is sharp. Oldman is perhaps a bit too one-dimensional but nevertheless, he performs well and Seyfried in the female support role is fantastic, an absolute natural. I genuinely hope she wins the gong though I wouldn't be averse to Close winning it. I thought Adams was better, mind. Hillbilly got utterly panned by the critics, think they just didn't get it, probably linking it in with the book's author going a bit Trumpian. I thought Howard dropped the politics and went for something most families can identify with and I think it resonated with the viewers. It did with me.

That Best Leading Female category is absolutely stacked; loved Viola Davis' role but whie a lead it was more akin to a supporting role in this movie. For that reason I'd probably have Andra Day then - the part did require her to be fully immersed.  Wrt Carey Mulligan and Promising Young Woman, I'm just not getting it tbqh. It had a 50s US candy store feel to it like a dank Friends. Nomadland looked great (how could it not with the backdrop available to Zhao) but it screamed documentary interspersed with bits where actors crossed the divide, and I quickly became aware of this and it then became a theme for me throughout. McDormand really didn't say much throughtout but she did come across as both sympathetic/empathetic and ultimately we find out imo ***SPOILER*** go to next paragraph that she did things her way anyway.

Trial of Chicago 7 I enjoyed as a story but nominations for Oscars, ha havin' a laugh. I think Odom Jr. as support in One Night in Miami has a good chance; for me he was the standout in the film.  Finally a wee nod out to Druk, or Another Round a Danish film centred on four middle aged male teachers who find inspiration at the bottom of a bottle, at work, initially anyway.  It's up for best International feature. White men though, eek!

As I said at the onset, and you refer to the typically successtul  Oscar film of yesteryear Mr French, I think Mank would fall into this category and do well. That was then! This year has seen a shift to diversify so tbqh I haven't the foggiest. Still, a lot of good performances out there so all will be good. :thumbsup:

@ArcticJambo thanks for the post.

Where to start, well Mank I suppose, I watched the first 20 minutes and wasn't getting it, tried again another day and watched it all but it just wasn't for me. If I hadn't set myself the task of watching them all then I would probably have switched off. Not everyone will love every film and I have probably been harsher than normal but I wanted to be able to go back at the end of viewing them all and grading them for myself! I also don't throw 10/10's out there very often.

Going into it completely blind Hillbilly was a revelation, agree that Adams should not have been missed

Promising young woman was a good film, but not normal Oscar quality, although my wife got more from it. I did like Carey but doubt Oscar judges are interested in my female preferences

You have summed up Nomadland very well, it did have a documentary feel. I felt they just made a film around McDormand and are selling it with her name. Agree completely about Trial of Chicago 7, I started watching One Night in Miami but switched it off, will have to return to it. 

Tonight's viewing is likely to be the final film nominee Sound of Metal, however I already had another tab open with Another Round as I was hoping to see that too.

Finally looking forward to what you think of The Father, its been the stand out for us.

4 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

@ArcticJambo thanks for the post.

Where to start, well Mank I suppose, I watched the first 20 minutes and wasn't getting it, tried again another day and watched it all but it just wasn't for me. If I hadn't set myself the task of watching them all then I would probably have switched off. Not everyone will love every film and I have probably been harsher than normal but I wanted to be able to go back at the end of viewing them all and grading them for myself! I also don't throw 10/10's out there very often.

Going into it completely blind Hillbilly was a revelation, agree that Adams should not have been missed

Promising young woman was a good film, but not normal Oscar quality, although my wife got more from it. I did like Carey but doubt Oscar judges are interested in my female preferences

You have summed up Nomadland very well, it did have a documentary feel. I felt they just made a film around McDormand and are selling it with her name. Agree completely about Trial of Chicago 7, I started watching One Night in Miami but switched it off, will have to return to it. 

Tonight's viewing is likely to be the final film nominee Sound of Metal, however I already had another tab open with Another Round as I was hoping to see that too.

Finally looking forward to what you think of The Father, its been the stand out for us.

I enjoyed One Night In Miami but my one criticism is that they could have binned the first 20 minutes or so. Shockingly even though the film is a fictional premise the bit with Jim Brown visiting the owner of his team is based on a genuine incident. 
I know a few playwrights, directors, and actors and they all raved about Chicago 7 but I think that is down to a higher appreciation and understanding of Aaron Sorkin’s writing than most audience will get out of it.  

Synchronic. Jamie dornan as a paramedic dealing with youngsters taking a strange drug.  Do not go near. 3/10

Synchronic. Jamie dornan as a paramedic dealing with youngsters taking a strange drug.  Do not go near. 3/10

Shanks said no

Sound of Metal

8/10

Very interesting film about a drummer that goes deaf. It wasn't what I was expecting and as such was enjoyable. Riz Ahmed has received the publicity as the first Muslim up for an Oscar but its worth highlighting Paul Raci in his supporting role

That's me watched all 8 best Picture nominees and its up for 5 other Oscars including Actor in a Leading Role, (Riz Ahmed), Actor in a Supporting Role, (Paul Raci), Sound, Original Screenplay & Achievement in Film Editing

Tommy Brown
15 hours ago, Tazio said:

Sorry mate, just thought I’d mention it as 3 out of your last 4 were ranked that highly. In my world you’re lucky if there’s one 10/10 in a year. 

A decade more like.

I struggle to give these so called great films 8 or above. I don't bother to give rates, just say I enjoyed or didn't. Occasionally  Really enjoyed.:lol:

Frailty. Quite an old film with Mathew mcconaughey about a religious serial killer. Pretty decent twist at the end but nothing graphic or overly violent. 6.5/10

Tommy Brown

Escape from Pretoria (Amazon Prime)

Recommended a couple of weeks back.

A very good movie on an astonishing  story.

rudi must stay

The Island

I found this film a slog to be honest. It's a good product as a film, it looks great and it's well acted but I didn't find it all that interesting and I wanted things to happen quicker. Sean Bean's great though, it has quite a clever story and the action scenes I thought worked brilliantly 

7/10

10 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

The Island

I found this film a slog to be honest. It's a good product as a film, it looks great and it's well acted but I didn't find it all that interesting and I wanted things to happen quicker. Sean Bean's great though, it has quite a clever story and the action scenes I thought worked brilliantly 

7/10

so it was a slog yet still gets 7/10

46 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

so it was a slog yet still gets 7/10

I'm guessing it got extra points for Sean Beans acting and Scarlett Johansson in a tight bodysuit 😁

Side note The Hitcher is on Netflix with Sean Bean, not great but has a good soundtrack and a cool Bean vs police cars and helicopter scene.

Tommy Brown
50 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

All films start with 5 for me 

To me 7 is a recommendation.

9-10 must see

5-6.9 OK, up to yourself  to give it go.

Below 5 you were warned

:lol:

Save Yourselves!

Rated (15) 2020 ‧ Sci-fi/Comedy ‧ 1h 33m

"A young Brooklyn couple head to an upstate cabin to unplug from their phones and reconnect with each other. Blissfully unaware of their surroundings, they are left to their own devices as the planet falls under attack."

It was slow, dull.   It was also interesting just to see what would happen next.   There is no large amounts, or general action scenes.   No laser guns and robots.   It's mostly dialogue.    But it has a chuckle in the context of the story.   There is drama also where you wouldn't expect because you think it will just be about a laugh.   

I enjoyed it, surprisingly.   I would usually turn anything boring and dull off.   The actors are not famous and I very much doubt it got major awards.   It's different which gets it good marks from me but I also thought was decent. 

7/10.   Not spectacular but entertaining.   I saw it from sky movies. 

rudi must stay
5 minutes ago, Wee jambo said:

Harry Potter and lophilosophers stone 

9/10

Like the new title the lolosipher 

1 minute ago, rudi must stay said:

Like the new title the lolosipher 

:orly?:   Just a spelling mistake I’m bad at spelling 

rudi must stay
4 minutes ago, Wee jambo said:

:orly?:   Just a spelling mistake I’m bad at spelling 

Me too sometimes, fair enough mate 

Disser Pointon

Movie night with the missus, probably going to be either Hillbilly Elligy or Ormiston Promising Young Woman, what's the recommendation between the 2? Got The Father in my radar as well but after something lighter tonight. 

Cheers

luckyBatistuta
32 minutes ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Movie night with the missus, probably going to be either Hillbilly Elligy or Ormiston Promising Young Woman, what's the recommendation between the 2? Got The Father in my radar as well but after something lighter tonight. 

Cheers

Only seen Hillbilly Elegy of those two, but I’d definitely recommend going with that, a very good film.

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Cheers

For a lighter mood I would say Promising Young Woman, as long as you like black comedy

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Cheers

Is there many promising young woman from Ormiston?  Think that would be a short film

luckyBatistuta
24 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Is there many promising young woman from Ormiston?  Think that would be a short film

:rofl:

The Call (2013)

5/10

Halle Berry stars as a 911 operator who takes a call from a kidnapped girl. Good start but gets increasingly absurd as it goes on. The final third is just ridiculous.

There are two films called The Call on netflix so I can only imagine I watched a different one from the one given a 10 above. 

Shanks said no

The Mauritanian

6.5/10

West African ends up in Guantánamo with all the unpleasantness that it entails, for years. Based on the best-selling memoir by Mohamedou Ould Slahi. Some good performances and I see its up for numerous BAFTAs, unfortunately its not up for an Oscar despite what my list says!.

59 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

The Mauritanian

6.5/10

West African ends up in Guantánamo with all the unpleasantness that it entails, for years. Based on the best-selling memoir by Mohamedou Ould Slahi. Some good performances and I see its up for numerous BAFTAs, unfortunately its not up for an Oscar despite what my list says!.

watched it tonight (Prime) and thought it was very good indeed. Could of done with more in the court room but guess time constraints were a factor. The lead Tahar Rahim is superb, as he was in ‘The Serpent’

8/10

Disser Pointon
22 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣 as someone who now lives in Tranent, I'd say not! 

The lodge. Was expecting more from this psychological horror than it delivered. Slight hint of the shining in it. 5/10

In a moment of nostalgia Heathers. It’s aged pretty well for an 80’s film. And still as dark as hell. Also the start of my long term obsession with Winona Ryder. 

Ron Burgundy

Wild Bill on Netflix, typical Dexter Fletcher film of run down east end London drug life. Wasn't bad and passed an hour and a half. Has every cliché in the book though.

Schindlers List, haven't seen it for ages so watched again last night. Horrible but brilliant.

Tommy Brown
14 hours ago, Tazio said:

In a moment of nostalgia Heathers. It’s aged pretty well for an 80’s film. And still as dark as hell. Also the start of my long term obsession with Winona Ryder. 

funny talking of nostalgia, when searching a news report, a link attached was a story about Rita, Sue & Bob, too.

Now, if you want a right good earthy laugh, watch this. A good comedy set in 80's Yorkshire.

rudi must stay

Outcast

Just a really boring unimaginative film. Lots of fighting, not much story and an absolutely terrible Nicolas Cage performance

5/10

rudi must stay

The Boy

Quite good, quite disturbing (it is a horror) has heart to heart playing in a scene too, always reminds me of the Jambos. So I'll give it a good score

7/10

JudyJudyJudy

“ Hillbilly elegy “ with Glenn Close and Amy Adams . I thought this was better than expected . It has had some savage reviews due to perceived views about its subject matter ( stereotyping red neck families ) but i thought it was well acted and very emotional at times . Really highlighted the hell growing up with a parent who is an addict . Very harrowing at times . The young actors playing the young lad were both terrific too . 7/ 10 .  Glenn Close chasing the Oscar yet again . But she’s not the favourite Which is a shame as she’s very good and how was Amy Adams ignored . She’s terrific 

Edited by JamesM48

Shanks said no

Rocks

8/10

British coming-of-age about "Rocks", a Black British teenage girl living in Hackney, London, whose single mother abandons her and their younger brother. She tries to look after the two of them herself. Had a feel of Play for Today. Lot of newcomers and refreshingly sweet and honest. Felt you were seeing life through their eyes rather than the grizzled viewer like me.

No intention of watching all the BAFTA nominations but this is up for seven awards , including Outstanding British Film.

JudyJudyJudy
10 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Rocks

8/10

British coming-of-age about "Rocks", a Black British teenage girl living in Hackney, London, whose single mother abandons her and their younger brother. She tries to look after the two of them herself. Had a feel of Play for Today. Lot of newcomers and refreshingly sweet and honest. Felt you were seeing life through their eyes rather than the grizzled viewer like me.

No intention of watching all the BAFTA nominations but this is up for seven awards , including Outstanding British Film.

This looks good . But seems have to be in tight mood to watch it ! Looks like a British version of “ Precious” ? 

i no watched “Nomadland” last night as well as “ Hillbilly elegy “ ( reviewed earlier ). “ Nomadlland “ was stunning . Beautiful , moving , well paced and just so humane about people and their lives and responses to grief . It’s a world which we rarely see in American films . Reminded me a lot of “ the graves of wrath “ .  It’s very powerful . An outstanding performance by the best actress in films by far Ms Frances Mc dormand. She really is a great actress . So real and natural unlike cold Meryl Streep ! David Strathern was also great in a supporting part and there was some good acting from real

life “ nomads “ who are non actors . I’ll need to watch the other actresses in the best actress race as she has set the. Bar incredibly well . Even if she doesn’t win I have. I problems with it winning Best picture 

JudyJudyJudy
On 06/04/2021 at 15:19, Tommy Brown said:

funny talking of nostalgia, when searching a news report, a link attached was a story about Rita, Sue & Bob, too.

Now, if you want a right good earthy laugh, watch this. A good comedy set in 80's Yorkshire.

Oh this is one of the best ever British comedies ! It’s a scream . It’s so realistic and so well acted by the cast . It’s a real slice of real British life snd totally unlike stuck up British “ period “ dramas . It’s the real deal so bawdy 

Edited by JamesM48

Tommy Brown
19 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh this is one of the best ever British comedies ! It’s a scream . It’s so realistic and so well acted by the cast . It’s a real slice of real British life snd totally unlike stuck up British “ period “ dramas . It’s the real deal so bawdy 

cheers James, theres's even cameo of Black Lace singing "We're having a gangbang" in the local club.

I really need this one out. The director, Alan Clarke also done This is Britain.

Was hoping the full movie was on Youtube, but loads of clips are.

A taster to the movie humour

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

cheers James, theres's even cameo of Black Lace singing "We're having a gangbang" in the local club.

I really need this one out. The director, Alan Clarke also done This is Britain.

Was hoping the full movie was on Youtube, but loads of clips are.

A taster to the movie humour

Yes Tommy . Like i said its just a brillaint peice of REAL British life. Warts and all ( usually genital ones! ) It was a welcome change from snooty middle class or upper class Hugh Grant type films as they often portray a narrow view of British culture. Most Americans I know think we live like " Downtown Abbey" but i always recommend this film. Its so well written and has an outstanding cast too.  It did get very good reviews. Always reminds me of growing up on a council estate with all the different characters. Thats a brilliant tune as well   Yes Alan Clarke was a great film maker.