The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Also watched “Jack Reacher” couple of nights back.

Its pish.

I have read a couple of the books. Now I know books don’t necessarily translate into good films but FFS whoever cast Tom Cruise as Reacher needs firing.

Reacher is 6ft 5 220-250 pounds and described as Bigfoot in one of his books?

Cruise is a dwarf.

The film itself is based on one of the books I haven’t read yet. One of the most enjoyable things about Lee Child’s books is they are fantasy. You don’t take them seriously. Complete over the top, mindless fiction. 

The film failed completely to replicate this. It simply took itself too seriously.

5 out of 10

Heartsmad1874

Just watched The Planet of the Apes for the first time. Outstanding film, defo gonna check out the rest of the movies.

Just rewatched The Searchers in BBC iPlayer. 
Still one of the best westerns ever made. Rare to see Wayne playing an unpleasant character. 

John Findlay
On 08/10/2020 at 00:10, Tazio said:

Just rewatched The Searchers in BBC iPlayer. 
Still one of the best westerns ever made. Rare to see Wayne playing an unpleasant character. 

This,was the role he should have got his oscar for imho.

On 07/10/2020 at 19:00, Heartsmad1874 said:

Just watched The Planet of the Apes for the first time. Outstanding film, defo gonna check out the rest of the movies.

I love them. Big fan of the originals but these are great 

Dirkdiggler77
On 29/09/2020 at 16:54, rudi must stay said:

I didn't think much of it. Odd and slow 

That's what most people say- but it really looks like it's building to something-  i was disappointed as well but i had a gut feeling maybe it's genius that went over everyone's head

Just watched Lemmy on Netflix. Excellent docu-film about the Motorhead front man. Never realised how down to Earth he really is. Recommended. 

1 minute ago, Marvin said:

Just watched Lemmy on Netflix. Excellent docu-film about the Motorhead front man. Never realised how down to Earth he really is. Recommended. 

It’s a good documentary. He really does come across as a total eccentric. I doubt there’s another rock star anywhere who’s lived in an apartment like that. Especially in LA. I’ve not seen in it years, might be time for a rewatch. 

4 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Yardie

What's it about? Don't know but I enjoyed it throughly. Plenty of energy in this film

7/10

Idris? 

rudi must stay
On 04/10/2020 at 17:41, 1971fozzy said:

Spider-Man - into the spider verse.

visually very good indeed and some great humour. Really enjoyed it

Top review 

rudi must stay

Finding The Way Back

Upbeat sports film. Not on any video streaming but worth a pop at £10 I'd say. My review a strong 9

9/10

The Captain on Amazon.

True story about a German deserter near the end of the war who ends up impersonating a captain and turns into an absolute psychopath.

Pretty good.

Finally saw Samsara on DVD, yes I still buy them. It's totally stunning. If you've seen Baraka you'll know what to expect as it has similar themes and imagery. If you've seen neither, see both but be warned, these aren't movies with a plot, actors and a storyline. They are more like artistic documentaries. The cinematography is amazing. Really deserves to be seen on the big screen but if you have a big tv and a soundbar that will be a decent approximation.

For a flavour go to YouTube and watch Shpongle's Around the World in Tea Daze (OTT remix) which uses footage from both films.

I was left awestruck at the world we live in and dismayed at the world we've created.

rudi must stay

Hard Kill

Dreadful acting and a bad guy known as The Pardoner. Really bad and that's 20 minutes in, honestly don't bother

1/10 

Carl Fredrickson

The Trial of the Chicago 7 on Netflix. Really enjoyed this, based on a true story 8/10

Underwater  on Now TV. Heap of crap. 1/10

Three billboards outside Ebbing Missouri.

Watched this last night after recording it a few days ago on Film 4.

I enjoyed it. Frances McDormand is a class actress. In the same vein as No country for old men, for me.

9/10.

luckyBatistuta
26 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Uncut Gems, started off as an 8/10 but quickly ended up a 5/10

10/10 for julia fox's arse though. 

A belter of a movie. Didn’t think I would enjoy it after reading the synopsis, but thought it was fantastic.

luckyBatistuta
27 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

A belter of a movie. Didn’t think I would enjoy it after reading the synopsis, but thought it was fantastic 

luckyBatistuta
28 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

A belter of a movie. Didn’t think I would enjoy it after reading the synopsis, but thought it was fantastic 

The devil has a name...about big oil companies shafting farmers, based on a true story, 8/10.

The new Borat film. Guy has balls of steel. 7/10.

Watched Scarface last night.

possibly one of the best films. Perfect 80’s fare. Music , violence, and drugs. Some real hilarious scenes as well. Tremendous 

31 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

The Lighthouse.

5/10, a bit "Arty" for me but it kept the wife quite for a couple of hours.

Interesting trivia fact. They actually used vintage 1930’s camera lenses to get the authentic old school black and white look. The lenses are so rubbish the set was incredibly bright from the amount of very powerful HMI discharge lights they had to use.

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Interesting trivia fact. They actually used vintage 1930’s camera lenses to get the authentic old school black and white look. The lenses are so rubbish the set was incredibly bright from the amount of very powerful HMI discharge lights they had to use.

It was very atmospheric due no doubt to the equipment you described. 

6 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

It was very atmospheric due no doubt to the equipment you described. 

I get a bit geeky about lighting stuff as it’s my job, hopefully I get to do it again properly sometime soon. Each special HMI light they use is roughly 4 times the power of a normal tungsten filament light and they were using 8000 watt units so each single light was 32,000 watts! Makes the 100w bulb in someone’s living room look a bit rubbish. 

On 29/10/2020 at 23:07, Tazio said:

I get a bit geeky about lighting stuff as it’s my job, hopefully I get to do it again properly sometime soon. Each special HMI light they use is roughly 4 times the power of a normal tungsten filament light and they were using 8000 watt units so each single light was 32,000 watts! Makes the 100w bulb in someone’s living room look a bit rubbish. 

Not a carbon-neutral movie then? LOL