The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

On 16/02/2020 at 20:08, rudi must stay said:

Jojo Rabbit

Love History and love this film. It is hilarious and very inventive and creative, it is also very nicely shot 

10/10

loved Hunt For The Wilderpeople from the same director, enjoyed this even more.                                                                                                         Great performances from Johansson and Rockwell, it reminded me a little of Life Is Beautiful, but with the comedy cranked up a notch.          10/10

rudi must stay
24 minutes ago, Judge Fudge said:

loved Hunt For The Wilderpeople from the same director, enjoyed this even more.                                                                                                         Great performances from Johansson and Rockwell, it reminded me a little of Life Is Beautiful, but with the comedy cranked up a notch.          10/10

You should see his version of Thor too. Ragnarok, I like his comedy too, very deadpan, flat out masterpiece for me Ragnarok even if you're not into superhero films 

On 22/02/2020 at 20:56, Carl Fredrickson said:

The Call of the Wild. Very good family movie though the CGI was a bit strange at times as the animals seemed to show human emotions. 7/10

It’s one of my favourite books. Can’t watch the film 

On 18/02/2020 at 12:57, Bleedsmaroon said:

A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood.

You would flick past this based on the blurb other than the fact it has Tom Hanks and someone recommended it in this thread. Have to admit I enjoyed it, Hanks, as per usual, is very wathcable. 8/10.

Despite winning 2 Oscars i still feel Hanks is very underrated. Hes a lovely , everyday Joe type of actor. Can play any role and doesn't resort to over the top histerics like Pacino etc.  He was so good as Forrest Gump and even better in " The road to Perdition" ....showing his versatile an actor he is. Reminds me of James Stewart for some reason. 

Edited by JamesM48

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Despite winning 2 Oscars i still feel Hanks is very underated. Hes a lovely , everyday Joe type of actor. Can play any role and doesnt resort to over the top historics like Pacino etc.  He was so good as Forrest Gump and even better in " The road to Perdition" ....showing his versatile an actor he is. Reminds me of James Stewart for some reason. 

i would say philadelhia was his best role closely followed by green mile. i think he has had a few recent poor roles such as larry crowne

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

i would say philadelhia was his best role closely followed by green mile. i think he has had a few recent poor roles such as larry crowne

Dragnet by a country mile!

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

yeah i was going to say philadelphia too but couldn't spell it.  lol......

Dark Waters 

Pretty good. Not many high  beats to keep it moving through the middle but interesting story.

Edited by hughesie27

BLACK 47

Great watch. On netflix. Well worth a look. 

Irish mercenary returns home from fighting with the brit army in 1840s. Goes on a bit of revenge plot after finding his family murdered. 

On 22/02/2020 at 20:56, Carl Fredrickson said:

The Call of the Wild. Very good family movie though the CGI was a bit strange at times as the animals seemed to show human emotions. 7/10

On paternity leave, so watching films while seeing to baby /trying to stay awake. As siblings still floating around cant watch anything too adult so tried to tap into survival/adventure type films.

The mountain between us 5/10, i like idris elba but he was pretty wooden in this. With small cast up a mountain you really need the lead to shine

The way back, 6/10 good enough watch. Too drawn out though with not enough to keep it going and some pointless characters. Disappointed to learn the memoirs it was based on are not that true to life.

Anyone recommend any adventure films worth a look? 

Carl Fredrickson
4 hours ago, Alan_R said:

On paternity leave, so watching films while seeing to baby /trying to stay awake. As siblings still floating around cant watch anything too adult so tried to tap into survival/adventure type films.

The mountain between us 5/10, i like idris elba but he was pretty wooden in this. With small cast up a mountain you really need the lead to shine

The way back, 6/10 good enough watch. Too drawn out though with not enough to keep it going and some pointless characters. Disappointed to learn the memoirs it was based on are not that true to life.

Anyone recommend any adventure films worth a look? 

Zulu 😄

What age are the siblings? My kids are 5 and 9 and I find it tricky at times to find stuff that will appeal to both. 

43 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Zulu 😄

What age are the siblings? My kids are 5 and 9 and I find it tricky at times to find stuff that will appeal to both. 

5 and 7, but in this case im not watching with them. I usually watch action and thrillers with blood/guts or x rated language etc its just if they are floating about i dont have to pause telly or send out room all the time

43 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Zulu 😄

5 and 7, but in this case im not watching with them. I usually watch action and thrillers with blood/guts or x rated language etc its just if they are floating about i dont have to pause telly or send out room all the time

Carl Fredrickson

Onward. The latest offering from Disney/Pixar and possibly their poorest. Even my kids werent impressed with it, which is saying something as they normally love every film. 3/10

Knives Out -  Whodunnit with a decent cast.   Meh!  5/10

The Lighthouse  - My Username may tell you that I should like this if it was done properly.   It was.   Very good.  Only realised it was Robert Pattison when the credits rolled.  Willem Defoe was great in it.  8/10

Jojo Rabbit - Amazing.  Really enjoyed it.  Funny, yet moving.  Very good way to approach the subject.  9/10

Ford vs Ferrari  -  Great film.  Bale is such a good actor.  Don't care if he is a prick in real life.    Great storytelling and not exactly about car racing  9/10.    Sounded amazing on my home cinema system.  Bonus point for them using real racing and avoiding CGI as much as they could.

On 28/02/2020 at 17:51, milky_26 said:

I can watch The Road to Perdition over and over again. It’s a masterpiece. The cast, the story, the acting, the music even.

Paul Newman is just quality, always but the scene in the rain at the cars is Godfatheresque. 
Mr Hanks is always worth watching. He’s superb in the Green Mile and Saving Private Ryan too

chester copperpot

Copland

Never seen it when first out. Not much happening but love watching De Niro, Stallone, Kietel and Liotta playing roles from 20 odd years ago.

7/10

Judge Fudge

Gemini Man - Absolutely honking Will Smith effort   1/10                                                                                                                                                     

Carl Fredrickson

Dark Water

I love these kind of films. had a bit of a rage at how big business act. 8/10

The Lighthouse

A film I was really looking forward to. Filmed in black and white it adds to the atmosphere. Two men and a lighthouse (not to be confused with the lassie one and a cup) who are there for a 4 week stint. I didnt enjoy it as much as i wanted to and was wanting it to end long before it did. 4/10

luckyBatistuta

Guns Akimbo, starring Daniel Radcliffe

Yes it’s shite, but I enjoyed it. If you like some stupid humour with loads of action thrown in, then this is for you. If you like KickAss, you’ll probably love it.

Edited by luckyBatistuta

On 02/03/2020 at 23:42, chester copperpot said:

Copland

Never seen it when first out. Not much happening but love watching De Niro, Stallone, Kietel and Liotta playing roles from 20 odd years ago.

7/10

decent flick. Surprised as  Stallone was superb in it

Disser Pointon

Night in to myself tomorrow so looking for recommendations. Based on what's available I'm looking at the following, what would be the best choice (subjective I know).....

Dr Sleep

Ford -v- Ferrari

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (been putting this one off for ages because of the marmite reports but need to bite the bullet sometime)

Any other recommendations welcome, going to watch Dark Waters with her indoors tonight.

Edited by Bleedsmaroon

Disser Pointon
On 06/03/2020 at 13:04, Bleedsmaroon said:

Night in to myself tomorrow so looking for recommendations. Based on what's available I'm looking at the following, what would be the best choice (subjective I know).....

Dr Sleep

Ford -v- Ferrari

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (been putting this one off for ages because of the marmite reports but need to bite the bullet sometime)

Any other recommendations welcome, going to watch Dark Waters with her indoors tonight.

Settled on Ford v Ferrari,  good choice, really enjoyed it.  8/10.

Carl Fredrickson
14 minutes ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Settled on Ford v Ferrari,  good choice, really enjoyed it.  8/10.

Good choice. All of your options were decent with Dr Sleep being my least favourite. What did you think of Dark Waters?

Disser Pointon
14 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Good choice. All of your options were decent with Dr Sleep being my least favourite. What did you think of Dark Waters?

Steam broke down for me mate, planning to watch it tomorrow!

Carl Fredrickson
2 minutes ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

Steam broke down for me mate, planning to watch it tomorrow!

I dont know if "enjoy" would be the phrase to use but I hope you do enjoy it.

rudi must stay

Doctor Sleep

Not for me. Decent but not a patch on the Shining. Liked what Ewan McGregor was doing but didn't like the creepy woman in the hats part from the start. Anyway I am not a fan of mainstream horror and that's what this film is and that's what made The Shinning different, it wasn't in your face like this was

6/10

Carl Fredrickson

Military Wives. Due to other commitments this was the only film on at a time that suits me today. Surprisingly good and have to admit to having a wee bit of grit in my eye at times. 

Decent cast. True story. Felt similar to Calendar Girls. Solid 7/10

rudi must stay

Ford V Ferrari

This one was not bad at all. It's no Rush for me but it had a great script, great acting (Damon impressed just as much as Bale for me) and some great scenes

7/10

The Invisible Man - 

I was maybe expecting too much after many rave reviews, as I was a little disappointed! One of those movies that seem to show all the good bits in the trailer. Great acting from Elisabeth Moss though. 6/10

luckyBatistuta
46 minutes ago, JamboMarc said:

The Invisible Man - 

I was maybe expecting too much after many rave reviews, as I was a little disappointed! One of those movies that seem to show all the good bits in the trailer. Great acting from Elisabeth Moss though. 6/10

Kind of the same for me. I thought it was decent, but did expect it to better than it was. Her performance in it was seriously good though. Did you jump? There was only my wife and I and 4 other people in the cinema and we all jumped out our skin, with one woman letting out a massive scream and then everyone just started laughing.

13 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Kind of the same for me. I thought it was decent, but did expect it to better than it was. Her performance in it was seriously good though. Did you jump? There was only my wife and I and 4 other people in the cinema and we all jumped out our skin, with one woman letting out a massive scream and then everyone just started laughing.

Hahaha! Not really to be honest. I think if I hadn’t seen the trailer then I definitely would have at some moments, especially the attic scene with the paint! 

luckyBatistuta
6 minutes ago, JamboMarc said:

Hahaha! Not really to be honest. I think if I hadn’t seen the trailer then I definitely would have at some moments, especially the attic scene with the paint! 

Shhhhh, don’t spoil it🤣

On 10/03/2020 at 20:25, Carl Fredrickson said:

Brightburn. 

Awful. Awfiul. Waste of 90 minutes of my life

I thought it was ok.

Some good bits in it but predictable.

I will save you 90 mins and tell you the latest GRUDGE movie is so.

Loved the original and the Sarah Michelle Gellar one

Carl Fredrickson
7 hours ago, Madjambo21 said:

I thought it was ok.

Some good bits in it but predictable.

I will save you 90 mins and tell you the latest GRUDGE movie is so.

Loved the original and the Sarah Michelle Gellar one

I appreciate your tip - i didnt fancy Grudge from the clips I have seen. 

Disser Pointon
On 07/03/2020 at 20:58, Carl Fredrickson said:

As expected it was right up my street mate. Monetary awards were insufficient, corporate manslaughter plain and simple, there should have been jail time. 

How The Beatles changed the world on Amazon Prime. As a recent convert I didn't know a lot of what went on. McCartney, in particular was more of a rebel than I've ever given him credit for. The music world before them sounded really pretty dull in the UK. I was born in 63 so, by the time I could appreciate music I kinda regarded them as "establishment"

Carl Fredrickson

My Spy. Trip to the cinema with the kids before the cinemas get closed. Fairly predictable but the kids enjoyed it and one scene had me howling with laughter. 6/10

The Green Book - came across it on prime and remember it won at the oscars a year or so ago. Loved it! Based on a true story and i thought there was 2 strong performances from Viggo Mortensen & Mahershala Ali. 9/10