The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

1917 - brilliant WWI film directed by Sam Mendes (Skyfall). Fantastic film that has you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. Been shot to seem like it’s one continuous shot which an impressive feat for a war film! 9/10

Disser Pointon
4 hours ago, JamboMarc said:

1917 - brilliant WWI film directed by Sam Mendes (Skyfall). Fantastic film that has you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. Been shot to seem like it’s one continuous shot which an impressive feat for a war film! 9/10

Got tics for this on Wednesday, really looking forward to it, right up my street.

5 hours ago, JamboMarc said:

Gutted its rated a 15. My 11year old wanted to see this as he saw Dunkirk 12A and loved that. Ah well await the DVD release.

1917. Give this film the Oscar now. An excellent piece of cinema that really hammers home what a monumental waste of human life this war was. Don’t go into it thinking you’re going to see Saving Private Ryan, with running gun battles and violent deaths. 10/10. 

Carl Fredrickson

I dont think there will be a better film this year. Totally glued to the screen for the whole movie. Struggling to try and find a fault with it. 

@John Findlay my 9 year old is the same but it is VERY graphic though I reckon once it is on NOW TV my son will be desperate to see it. 

The script and acting are top notch (a few biggish names playing very small roles) but the production and filming are stunning. 

10/10

5 hours ago, AndyNic said:

Uncut Gems. Loved it! Great acting (believe it or not) from Adam Sandler.

I'd give it a solid 8/10.

What an ending too! Absolutely brilliant. 

luckyBatistuta
On 13/01/2020 at 12:40, Carl Fredrickson said:

I dont think there will be a better film this year. Totally glued to the screen for the whole movie. Struggling to try and find a fault with it. 

@John Findlay my 9 year old is the same but it is VERY graphic though I reckon once it is on NOW TV my son will be desperate to see it. 

The script and acting are top notch (a few biggish names playing very small roles) but the production and filming are stunning. 

10/10

On 16/01/2020 at 19:54, jack D and coke said:

Superb. 

Can’t wait to watch this, me and the Mrs have been looking forward to it for a while now. Do you think my boys(age 11 and 12)would be able to watch it? They have watched Hacksaw Ridge and enjoyed it.

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Can’t wait to watch this, me and the Mrs have been looking forward to it for a while now. Do you think my boys(age 11 and 12)would be able to watch it? They have watched Hacksaw Ridge and enjoyed it.

I would say so mate yeah. It’s got some death in there don’t get me wrong but not really gory death. Difficult to say but nothing in there that would make me think it’s really too much tbh. 

luckyBatistuta
Just now, jack D and coke said:

I would say so mate yeah. It’s got some death in there don’t get me wrong but not really gory death. Difficult to say but nothing in there that would make me think it’s really too much tbh. 

I don’t mind them watching war movies even if the age rating is a little higher. It did happen and it’s good for them to learn the tragedy of wars and how stupid they are. I’ve still not let them watch Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down yet. Although in the case of Black Hawk Down, they would learn about the idiocy of the American army in warfare.

Carl Fredrickson
6 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

There isnt any scene that I think would upset my 9 year old. Might be bad parenting on my part but I think the rating it got was due to the reality of the scenes. Could actually be a good education as it does not glamorise war. 

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

There isnt any scene that I think would upset my 9 year old. Might be bad parenting on my part but I think the rating it got was due to the reality of the scenes. Could actually be a good education as it does not glamorise war. 

This is exactly why I’ve let them watch some war movies. Thanks Carl:thumb:

On 13/01/2020 at 17:40, Carl Fredrickson said:

10/10

I see adverts for it on TV.

The bits you see all look very unrealistic and false, it puts me off.

JoJo Rabbit 8/10

An unusual film. Some very dramatic heart-breaking moments in what is often a comedy. 

Some very interesting historical accuracies too. Including a brighter Germany and some mad wartime practices. 

The good guys win with some cost. 

Carl Fredrickson

Two films in one day. 

Bombshell 8/10 

The story of the Fox News scandal. John Lithgow is a fantastic actor, with great performance from Kidman, Robbie and Theron. 

Just Mercy also 8/10

Another true story of a young lawyer who supports people on death row. Highlights the flaws in the US justice system. 

Both films left me a bit flat is they both dealt with how we as humans can mistreat others. Need to watch something uplifting next.

1917 - Have to agree with everyone above. Hooked from start to finish. Felt like I was there and really does hammer home how war is an epic thing made up of millions of small stories most of them heartbreaking. See it at the cinema if you can

Carl Fredrickson
10 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

You lot have convinced me to break from the norm of watching films nobody watches and going to see 1917. 

I hope you enjoy it - one of those films that will be far better on the big screen.

rudi must stay
42 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I hope you enjoy it - one of those films that will be far better on the big screen.

Love to see great acting. And the performance have been highly praised by good critics on here 

JoJo Rabbit. 

After ten minutes; what a load of pish

After 15 minutes; ridiculous

After 30; oh I see

Near the end; edge of my seat

End; greeting

Absolutely sensational. Loved it. Loved what it did. 

William H. Bonney

The nightingale. - 4/5

A Young Irish prisoner in 19th century Tasmania seeks revenge on the British soldiers who killed her husband and baby. Horrific opening scene aside it’s a very good film. 

jungle - 3/5

daniel Radcliffe gets lost in the Bolivian jungle. 
The first hour is amazing, loses its way a bit after that. 

The sister brothers - 3/5

Cinematography is amazing. Beautifully shot. A decent western. 

rudi must stay
4 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

The nightingale. - 4/5

A Young Irish prisoner in 19th century Tasmania seeks revenge on the British soldiers who killed her husband and baby. Horrific opening scene aside it’s a very good film. 

jungle - 3/5

How good is Radcliffe in Jungle. Intense performance, some actor 

Yes Sister Brothers is alright 

chester copperpot

I must admit, watched 1917 today and found it totally boring. Found myself fast forwarding through most of it and wanted to like it too. 

14 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

The nightingale. - 4/5

jungle - 3/5

I thought the Sisters Brothers was a fantastic film. Two good actors bringing great performances out of each other. 

luckyBatistuta

Brian Banks,

A football player's dreams to play in the NFL are halted when he is wrongly convicted and sent to prison. Years later, he fights to clear his name within an unjust system.

Watched this on the flight back from holiday and thought it was decent. You don’t have to be in to American Football to enjoy this.

rudi must stay
20 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

I must admit, watched 1917 today and found it totally boring. Found myself fast forwarding through most of it and wanted to like it too. 

That must have been annoying for the audience :sarcasm:

Slumdog Millionaire

Masterful filmmaking from Danny Boyle 5 or so years on from seeing it last it is still a great watch, Dev Patel has improved and would do it better now but still gets an 8/10

chester copperpot
16 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

That must have been annoying for the audience :sarcasm:

Slumdog Millionaire

Masterful filmmaking from Danny Boyle 5 or so years on from seeing it last it is still a great watch, Dev Patel has improved and would do it better now but still gets an 8/10

:lol:

William H. Bonney

IT chapter 2 - 2/5

shite. Long. Not scary. Avoid at all costs. In fact, watch the 1990 TV movie with the fantastic Tim curry as pennywise. It is far superior. 

rudi must stay

True Romance

Great stuff in there. Great music, lots of cameos (Walken's terrific and chilling in his part) can see why people like it but I felt it lost what made it great at the end and turned into just another action film

8/10

rudi must stay

Marriage Story

Very good. Liked the use of humour throughout and it had a number of great comments and conversations. Recommend it, Adam Driver is a talented fella too, singing and acting here

8/10

Carl Fredrickson

David Copperfield. Having read no Charles Dickens books I am ignorant of the story but I took the film at face value with no expectations. Very bright and colourful with some great acting. Quite enjoyed it and probably would watch it again. 7/10

Bad Boys For Life. O dear. Dogs are for life, Bad Boys shouldnt be. 4/10 

On 13/01/2020 at 08:24, JamboMarc said:

On 13/01/2020 at 14:09, Phil Dunphy said:

1917. Give this film the Oscar now. An excellent piece of cinema that really hammers home what a monumental waste of human life this war was. Don’t go into it thinking you’re going to see Saving Private Ryan, with running gun battles and violent deaths. 10/10. 

On 13/01/2020 at 17:40, Carl Fredrickson said:

10/10

On 17/01/2020 at 00:54, jack D and coke said:

Superb. 

On 21/01/2020 at 20:41, Jamhammer said:

1917 - Have to agree with everyone above. Hooked from start to finish. Felt like I was there and really does hammer home how war is an epic thing made up of millions of small stories most of them heartbreaking. See it at the cinema if you can

On 21/01/2020 at 21:50, Ray Gin said:

9/10 - a masterpiece. What a film.

On 21/01/2020 at 21:40, Muppetboy said:

1917. Awesome film with outstanding performances from the 2 leads. 

On 24/01/2020 at 08:04, Irufushi said:

Watched 1917 last night, thought it was fantastic. 

On 25/01/2020 at 10:57, luckyBatistuta said:

1917, really enjoyed it, incredible how it just continuously flows from start to finish.

Just seen 1917 and have to agree with the praise, its stunningly shot, well acted, tense and hammers home the futility and hopelessness of war

On 15/01/2020 at 16:23, AndyNic said:

Uncut Gems. Loved it! Great acting (believe it or not) from Adam Sandler.

I'd give it a solid 8/10.

Just watched this. Good film, shan soundtrack. Sandler was surprisingly good. 

William H. Bonney
8 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Just watched this. Good film, shan soundtrack. Sandler was surprisingly good. 

The soundtrack was a poor choice. 
Adam Sandler was tremendous though. Oscar worthy I thought. 

On 27/01/2020 at 20:06, rudi must stay said:

Marriage Story

Very good. Liked the use of humour throughout and it had a number of great comments and conversations. Recommend it, Adam Driver is a talented fella too, singing and acting here

8/10

Yes this was a really good film. Very realistic depiction of a marriage breakdown and superb acting from the leads. 8/10 too

On 18/01/2020 at 09:21, Carl Fredrickson said:

Agreed. 

"Parasite"  This is a stunning film.  Great story about a poor family who gradually worm their way into a rich families house. Its very funny as well as being very very dark.  It has a lot to say about wealth inequality and poverty as well as modern society. It really is superb.  10/10. Im betting this will win the Best Picture Oscar.   

alwaysthereinspirit

Went to see The Gentlemen last night.

Liked it.

Love Richie movies. Like the flashbacks, the back to front editing and the weird unseen story lines.

American movie goers were a little bit taken aback by the use of the C U next Tuesday word so many times.