The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

rudi must stay
On 23/12/2019 at 02:26, Lovecraft said:

Joker

Flat out 10 out of 10.

Everything about it is masterful.

Bizarre, considering Todd Phillips has done shit up till now.  Either he didn't actually do this, or he has been held back from doing "real" work.

This is the next step into adult comic book stories.  Expect a lot more now.

It's a total copy of The King Of Comedy which explains things. Plus I believe Joaquin Phoenix was majorly involved (lots of improv apparently and id imagine creatively too). But you're right it suggests he has better work in him than The Hangover (not that I didn't enjoy them but he can make proper movies obviously)

Edited by rudi must stay

rudi must stay

Under the silver lake

Slow and ponderous and a really odd film but this film looks fantastic and Andrew Garfield utterly strolls it. Overall good ambitious film

7/10 

The Revenant 

8.5/10

Second watch but I didn't actually remember any of the second half of the movie (I was pretty drunk when I watched it first time :lol: )

Loved it. Leo DiCaprio and Tom Hardy were superb.

rudi must stay

You Were Never Really Here

Slow and boring and as often is the case with Joaquin he's enjoying himself and putting in a shift but you go just pick normal films pal. At the same time its a chilled out movie (nice music, plenty energy) that certainly gets a good mark for style. I'd say 6/10

Joker 

8/10

Pheonix was brilliant and I loved the tone of the film, however he seems too old to be The Joker in an origins story. He's mid 40s and met a young Bruce Wayne aged about 8 in the film. Meaning when Wayne becomes Batman, The Joker would be about mid to late 60s?

rudi must stay
51 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Joker 

8/10

Pheonix was brilliant and I loved the tone of the film, however he seems too old to be The Joker in an origins story. He's mid 40s and met a young Bruce Wayne aged about 8 in the film. Meaning when Wayne becomes Batman, The Joker would be about mid to late 60s?

Simply the choice of a very good director

chester copperpot

Currently watching 'sunshine on Leith' (I know, I know)

Utter cluster**** of a movie. Hearts hat off, it's absolutely cringeworthy.

rudi must stay

The Irishman

At 3 and a half hours it's a long film. But the three big names are bang on form (Pacino, De Niro and Pesci) and it has Scorcese's usual stong script and excellent soundtrack

8/10

rudi must stay

The Two Popes

Two strong perormances from Anthony Hopkins and Jonathan Price make this. Worth a watch if you have Netflix, it is by no means pro religion and is full of humour that I felt worked well

8/10

Edited by rudi must stay

Weakened Offender
On 25/12/2019 at 21:16, rudi must stay said:

You Were Never Really Here

Slow and boring and as often is the case with Joaquin he's enjoying himself and putting in a shift but you go just pick normal films pal. At the same time its a chilled out movie (nice music, plenty energy) that certainly gets a good mark for style. I'd say 6/10

I thought it was a solid 8.

Invention of lying 

Good concept disappointingly executed, it had a couple of decent moments but basically quite shit.

6/10 because I made it to the end and it had a decent cast, edging towards a 5 though.

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Invention of lying 

Good concept disappointingly executed, it had a couple of decent moments but basically quite shit.

6/10 because I made it to the end and it had a decent cast, edging towards a 5 though.

I thought the same for years

Watching it now I really like it, Gervais is the man for edgy comedy but also moments that are unexpected and quite emotional. Maybe I wasn't ready for it before

10/10

Edited by rudi must stay

John Findlay

Watched The Sting again tonight. Tremendous film. Superb acting from all the cast. Newman, Redford, Shaw et al.

Over last few days.

The Highwaymen....the tracking down of Bonnie & Clyde.  Good watchable film.

The Lighthouse...couldn't take my eyes of it..as weird as they get. If anyone ever watches it let me know what happens.

Rammstein live in America also Paris. ****ing brilliant.

14 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Watched The Sting again tonight. Tremendous film. Superb acting from all the cast. Newman, Redford, Shaw et al.

Great film with a great cast as you say. Might dig it out and watch again. Redford made some great films

Butch & Sundance, The Natural, Brubaker even The Horse Whisperer

Carl Fredrickson

The Gentlemen

Lots of violence and plenty of laughs. Really enjoyed it and special mention to Hugh Grant, someone I am starting to warm to. 8/10

John Wick 3

a while since I watched the first 2 but really enjoyed these so was looking forward to this one. I wish I had rewatched the first 2 as it would of helped. Some great OTT deaths as usual. Thoroughly enjoyed it by the end though. Not as good as the first by a long shot but still for me a 7/10

** for anyone thinking of watching it, you definitely need to see the first 2 **

Edited by 1971fozzy

6 Underground on Netflix 

just superb. Awesome car chases, humour, action and looks like there could be more in the future hopefully.

picture quality is just awesome, all those colours . Loved it 9/10

On 23/12/2019 at 00:29, Boof said:

Knives Out

A fairly convoluted (as the best ones are) whodunnit. Pretty good. Daniel Craig's southern US accent was a bit weird to start with.

watched this with Av on hogmanay , agree entirely 👌🏻

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Absolute garbage.I like a Tarantino movie but this was pure self indulgent garbage from start to finish.

rudi must stay

Inferno

Miserable and slow stuff, saying that it does have a cracking cameo from the bloke in Friday Night Dinner who always has hit top off. Imagine putting him in a serious film but that in a way sums the film up

5/10

Black and blue

Rookie cop witnesses corrupt cops murdering black dealers.

Film is pretty bad. Has a good concept but is let down badly.

Should be a tense thriller but its bland and couldn't care about any of the characters in this movie

4/10

John Findlay
3 minutes ago, benny said:

The Keeper....Bert Trautmann biography.A lot more to his life than breaking his neck in the cup final.8/10.

Quite remarkable an ex German soldier been taken to the hearts of the people whose army he had been fighting during WWII.

rudi must stay
18 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

watched this the other day too and was really disappointed 4/10

Big screen movie I'd say. Saying that it is worth of far more than a 5 

On 01/01/2020 at 01:19, John Findlay said:

This and Cool hand Luke are two of my top 10 films. Immense!

Carl Fredrickson

Playing With Fire. 

Last day of the school holidays with crap weather so a trip to the cinema was called for. My kids both loved this and to be honest there were a few funny moments. Decent family comedy/feel good movie but very predictable 

6/10

Shanks said no
On 01/01/2020 at 21:10, Carl Fredrickson said:

The Gentlemen

Lots of violence and plenty of laughs. Really enjoyed it and special mention to Hugh Grant, someone I am starting to warm to. 8/10

I watched him on the BBC 2 documentary - A life on screen during the holidays, I was really surprised that he moved from the w*** to good guy column in my estimation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000crhm

Carl Fredrickson
6 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I watched him on the BBC 2 documentary - A life on screen during the holidays, I was really surprised that he moved from the w*** to good guy column in my estimation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000crhm

Funnily enough I watched it too and since Paddington 2 he has went up in my estimations too. 

John Findlay
14 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Funnily enough I watched it too and since Paddington 2 he has went up in my estimations too. 

I thought he was great in Paddington 2. Also the voice he provided for the sort of bad guy in Wallace and Gromit in the curse of the wererabbit. 

John Findlay

Just watched Saving Mr Banks which I recorded over the festive period. Must say I enjoyed it. Emma Thompson is a very good actress. Colin Farrell was good too along with Ruth Wilson. Tom Hanks is very good as Walt Disney. Paul Giamatti steals the film for me as Emma Thompson's chauffeur in LA. Steals every scene he is in imho. 8.5/10.

Edited by John Findlay

rudi must stay
21 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

He is a hilarious man. All interviews with him are worth watching

CBGB on Amazon. Biopic of Hilly Krystal and the legendary nightclub in The Bowery in New York. Lots of playing fast and loose with the truth but an enjoyable watch if you like that era of music. I felt strangely emotional at all the clips of famous bands getting their first shot at playing live. Also a very interesting bit of casting with Alan Rickman playing Hilly, he’s good as usual though.
Sadly I went to check out where it was the last time I was in New York as I was staying near the Bowery and it’s now a newly built red brick building with a branch of Patagonia outdoor clothing where the club was. 

Rise of Skywalker.

Really enjoyed it. Rollercoaster ride of a film.

However it suffers from the same thing the last few Start Wars film suffered from in the fact it didn’t feel like a Star Wars film?

It could easily have been just another Sci Fi film if you changed the characters names?

I didn’t get any of that nostalgic feeling of SW greatness till right near the end.

Its good but lacks the magic.

1 hour ago, Vlad Magic said:

Rise of Skywalker.

Really enjoyed it. Rollercoaster ride of a film.

However it suffers from the same thing the last few Start Wars film suffered from in the fact it didn’t feel like a Star Wars film?

It could easily have been just another Sci Fi film if you changed the characters names?

I didn’t get any of that nostalgic feeling of SW greatness till right near the end.

Its good but lacks the magic.

The old ones had magic because you watched them as a kid. 

rudi must stay
5 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

The old ones had magic because you watched them as a kid. 

Exactly and I think people were generally happier. Even episodes 1-3 are now considered decent, even though they were awful. Have to weigh them up as films, editing, story etc