The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Carl Fredrickson

Watched Stan & Ollie with my son last night. I saw it at the cinema and really enjoyed it. Watching it with my son was just as good, if not better. We laughed and had tears in our eyes at the end. Fantastic film. 9/10

rudi must stay

Once Upon A Time In The Midlands

I thought this was a very good film. Some good acting and a brilliant soundtrack that keeps it ticking along nicely. Recommended

7/10

Carl Fredrickson

The Lion King.

Mixed thoughts on this. Spectacular CGI and plenty of funny moments. The scary bits were scary for kids. Songs have stood the test of time. Lots of positives. 

However.... this has been said a lot recently but Disney need to start coming out with new material. Lots of remakes and sequels over recent years and even though many are enjoyable and very well made, I am tiring of the same old. 

Cant decide what to give it as a rating. 

rudi must stay

Robin Hood (2018)

Better than I expected. A great soundtrack and full of solid acting and exciting action sequences

7/10

Bone tomahawk,  8/10. Really watchable slow burner of a western/horror.  Kurt Russell and a fine supporting cast trying to rescue folk abducted by cannibals.

1 hour ago, Muppetboy said:

Bone tomahawk,  8/10. Really watchable slow burner of a western/horror.  Kurt Russell and a fine supporting cast trying to rescue folk abducted by cannibals.

Dat split though :wow: 

Carl Fredrickson

Spiderman Far From Home

The latest in the MCU. Endgame wasnt the end but rather the end of one story and this is the first offering in the new storyline. Decent film. Lots of action with a few funny bits. My son loved it but as is getting more the case, I thought it was alright. 7/10

2 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Spiderman Far From Home

The latest in the MCU. Endgame wasnt the end but rather the end of one story and this is the first offering in the new storyline. Decent film. Lots of action with a few funny bits. My son loved it but as is getting more the case, I thought it was alright. 7/10

Technically this was the end if that storyline.

Carl Fredrickson
7 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Technically this was the end if that storyline.

I hope so but my 9 year old says differently (he has been known to be wrong!). Still far too many Marvel movies in the pipeline

41 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I hope so but my 9 year old says differently (he has been known to be wrong!). Still far too many Marvel movies in the pipeline

Officially spiderman was the end of Phase 3. Phase 4 starts next year with Black Widow.

Carl Fredrickson
7 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Officially spiderman was the end of Phase 3. Phase 4 starts next year with Black Widow.

Cheers. I was never a superhero fan and now know more than I should ever have known. 

CavySlaveJambo
On 20/07/2019 at 19:28, Carl Fredrickson said:

However.... this has been said a lot recently but Disney need to start coming out with new material. Lots of remakes and sequels over recent years and even though many are enjoyable and very well made, I am tiring of the same old. . 

The Lion King was my most recent film. I have to admit that I felt this was a pretty direct remake, with very few changes (not that I have watched the original recently).  The CGI is so realistic you can forget it was animated, and it looked stunning.  I think I may have jumped at parts. 

However The Mouse House, does need more original material now.  I believe they have the “Artemis Fowl” film rights, and they possibly have another theme park “theme” they can try and make a film of (Society of Explorers and Adventurers/Jungle Cruise) 

Carl Fredrickson
5 hours ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

The Lion King was my most recent film. I have to admit that I felt this was a pretty direct remake, with very few changes (not that I have watched the original recently).  The CGI is so realistic you can forget it was animated, and it looked stunning.  I think I may have jumped at parts. 

However The Mouse House, does need more original material now.  I believe they have the “Artemis Fowl” film rights, and they possibly have another theme park “theme” they can try and make a film of (Society of Explorers and Adventurers/Jungle Cruise) 

Glad to hear they may have other things in the pipeline. 

The Internet

I liked the lion king but it felt a bit weird/flat for some reason. Felt like the actors were just reading their lines for most of it, with a couple of exceptions - james earl jones and chiwetel ejiofor were both good. Maybe the animals were just a bit too real-looking? Big part of the cartoon was the facial expressions of the characters and obviously that's missing from this one. Dunno. Visually stunning though 

Carl Fredrickson

I have been informed that I have won a years Odeon Limitless membership so expect reviews to continue from this poster for at least the next 12 months

Went to see Yesterday yesterday.

A wee bit too contrived getting the early references shoehorned in but really enjoyable thereafter. Had a wee lump in the throat when he went to visit the auld painter dude (avoiding any spoilers!).

8/10 at least

Disser Pointon

The Upside 7/10 - enjoyable enough

Final Frontier - as above

Rocket Man - a little long IMO but still enjoyed it - 8/10

Us - mess of a film and a disappointment after Get Out - 5/10.

Alita : Battle Angel

Shite

Shite 

Shite

Good setup.

Poor script, poor characters and full of crap clichés.    Terrible stuff.

The CGI is pretty good though.

3/10

Why do robots eat when they can't shit?

We can make uber high tech robots, yet people are still using phones?

**** off

The Great Hack

8/10

Documentary about Cambridge Analytical's dodgy work and how personal data mined from social media helped get Trump elected, and Britain to vote for Brexit etc. Quite scary the influence Facebook holds over elections. 

Dagger Is Back
On 25/07/2019 at 13:59, Carl Fredrickson said:

I have been informed that I have won a years Odeon Limitless membership so expect reviews to continue from this poster for at least the next 12 months

Nice one. Well done 

rudi must stay

Can you ever forgive me

Worth a watch for anyone thinking about watching it but hasn't. Melissa McCarthy and Richard E Grant are both terrific

8/10

Edited by rudi must stay

Finally watched the Jennifer Garner film 'Peppermint'. It had some disastrous reviews but I really enjoyed it...if you don't engage the brain it's a decent film where she avenges the death of her husband and daughter. Plus..it's Jennifer Garner kicking ass. 

Solid 7/10 for the film

Exciting 9/10 for the ass kicking 

Unknown user

The Drop

James Gandolfini and Tom Hardy

6/10, it was pretty good really but Hardy's Waterboy persona irritated me and brought it down from a definite 7, possible 8.

North Berwick Jambo

Last Breath 

The Netflix film about the diver who gets his lifeline cut off at the bottom of the North Sea.

Quite a powerful & tense film , well worth a watch.

8/10

Edited by North Berwick Jambo

Carl Fredrickson

The Current War

The story of  the race between Thomas Edison and George Westinghouse to determine whose electrical system would power the modern world.

Thoroughly enjoyed it and kept my attention throughout 

8/10

Avengers : Endgame.

Meh

5/10

I enjoyed all the other Marvel films apart from Ant Man, which was guff.

Endgame just wasn't that good.  Plot holes all over the place.  Especially when you include time travel.

Edited by Lovecraft

JudyJudyJudy
On 28/07/2019 at 02:14, rudi must stay said:

Can you ever forgive me

Worth a watch for anyone thinking about watching it but hasn't. Melissa McCarthy and Richard E Grant are both terrific

8/10

Yeah that was really good .  M c Carthy and Grant were outstanding and had a great rapport.  An interesting story too.    8/10 for me 

JudyJudyJudy

" The 12th Man".  Its on Netflix.  Its outstanding.  Its about a Norwegian guy on the run from the Nazis in Norway.  Incredibly its based on a true story. It was gripping.  9/10 

On 30/07/2019 at 15:16, North Berwick Jambo said:

Last Breath 

The Netflix film about the diver who gets his lifeline cut off at the bottom of the North Sea.

Quite a powerful & tense film , well worth a watch.

8/10

Watched this the other night, quite enjoyed it.

How in shitting crikey is that bloke still alive?! He was blue when they pulled that helmet off him, couple of puffs of air and good as new. Absolutely incredible.

Dagger Is Back

The Old Man & The Gun

Decent cast including Robert Redford. Story of an elderly bunch of bank robbers. Based on a true story 

Awful slow 

5/10

Dagger Is Back

The Lion King - followed the original to the letter. Stunning effects and visuals but something missing. Someone further up talked about the facial expressions in the original and I think it might well have been partly that.

Glad I went to see it and stayed awake in the Odeon Luxe comfy seats which is always an achievement for me 

8/10

Carl Fredrickson

Hobbs and Shaw. 

Action packed and funny. Didnt see any of the F&F films but I dont think it is necessary to see them before watching this. 7/10

Ron Burgundy

Lifechanger  on Sky Cinema.

Don't bother, I only stuck with it as I had got up for a drink and left the remote in the kitchen.

North Berwick Jambo
On 03/08/2019 at 21:23, Ray Gin said:

Watched this the other night, quite enjoyed it.

Reveal hidden contents

How in shitting crikey is that bloke still alive?! He was blue when they pulled that helmet off him, couple of puffs of air and good as new. Absolutely incredible.

Incredible true life story, although it’s safe to say it’s put me off from ever giving diving a go. 

On 27/07/2019 at 14:44, Ray Gin said:

The Great Hack

8/10

Documentary about Cambridge Analytical's dodgy work and how personal data mined from social media helped get Trump elected, and Britain to vote for Brexit etc. Quite scary the influence Facebook holds over elections. 

I watched this today, an unbelievable amount of power & influence over unsuspecting voters. Another very decent Netflix documentary film. 

8/10

Hellboy - I knew it wasn’t meant to be great...but it really is horrendous.

Mignola, Del Toro and Perlman must be pissing themselves.

Netflix double bill...

Watched the Spanish horror Veronica which was enjoyable, maybe a 6/10 as nothing really set it apart from similar films (girl plays with Ouija board). 

However, watched Down a Dark Hall which I loved, suprisingly. Wasn't expecting to enjoy it so much (misfit criminal teen girls get shunted off to a boarding school run by Umu Thurman). 

Probably not to everyone's taste and bizarrely was rated 18, but I found it different and quite moving in its own way. 9/10. 

Carl Fredrickson

Blinded By The Light. I will confess that I am a huge Springsteen fan and will watch anything relating to him or his songs. 

This film is inspired Sarfraz Manzoors upbringing in the UK in the 80s. For those of us who lived through those times it will bring back memories of the culture of the time - both good and bad. 

I thought the film highlighted a lot of issues of the time but some of the use of songs were very cheesy. Other times, the songs were very moving. 

Mixed feelings about it so only 6/10

Carl Fredrickson

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. 

Best film I have watched this year. LDC, Margo Robbie and Brad Pitt are fabulous in it 9/10

Fantastic Beasts 2.

Pretty woeful, in all honesty. Couldn't much tell you exactly what happens and the ending is just horrendous.

3/10.

the sub goalie
1 hour ago, Dino Velvet said:

Once upon a time in Hollywood 6/10

i wasn’t keen on it. To be honest it bored me. 

Just in from seeing it. Had been looking forward to it for ages but I was the same, bored throughout.  3/10 for me.

Carl Fredrickson
11 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

Once upon a time in Hollywood 6/10

i wasn’t keen on it. To be honest it bored me. 

9 hours ago, the sub goalie said:

Just in from seeing it. Had been looking forward to it for ages but I was the same, bored throughout.  3/10 for me.

All about opinions. I much preferred it to RD/PF etc. 

William H. Bonney
2 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

All about opinions. I much preferred it to RD/PF etc. 

I thought the ranch scene was excellent. Brad Pitt,Margot Robbie, Timothy olyphant and Emile hirsch all were superb. 

I thought dicaprio by and large was poor. He bored me. 

Carl Fredrickson

6 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

I thought the ranch scene was excellent. Brad Pitt,Margot Robbie, Timothy olyphant and Emile hirsch all were superb. 

I thought dicaprio by and large was poor. He bored me. 

The ranch scene was excellent - BP has grown on me as an actor and I really liked him in this. Margot Robbie I am not too familiar with but agree that she was excellent. LDC I thought was excellent too as he was playing an actor on a downward spiral. His scene with the young female actor (not actress) and his scene in his trailer after he fluffed his lines were great. Add to that his part in the end scenes.... Might not be his best work but felt he played the role really well - IMO