The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Sweet Country....Hard watch at times.

Amazing to think of the injustice and prejudice the Aborigine suffered and no doubt still do.

Thought provoking story,great acting and beautifully shot movie.9/10.

luckyBatistuta

Pandora, a South Korean disaster movie at a Nuclear plant. Watched this before, but after posting it on the Chernobyl thread, got to recommend it on here. Going to watch it again now

Can’t remember if I’ve posted it and a score on this thread before, but a great movie.

8.5/10 

Edited by luckyBatistuta

chester copperpot
16 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Pandora, a South Korean disaster movie at a Nuclear plant. Watched this before, but after posting it on the Chernobyl thread, got to recommend it on here. Going to watch it again now

Can’t remember if I’ve posted it and a score on this thread before, but a great movie.

8.5/10 

Is it just subtitled. Probably a stupid question but I cant get into subtitled films

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, chester copperpot said:

Is it just subtitled. Probably a stupid question but I cant get into subtitled films

Sorry for taking so long to answer buddy. It is, but honestly it’s well worth sticking with it. Another belter of a film from South Korea is Last Train from Busan, subtitled as well though. It’s about a virus that starts spreading that turns people in to zombies. It’s not your normal zombies though, these move fast as ####, it’s brilliant. The Koreans do tend to overact a bit, but I really enjoy them. Hope you give it a watch.

Edited by luckyBatistuta

chester copperpot
49 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Sorry for taking so long to answer buddy. It is, but honestly it’s well worth sticking with it. Another belter of a film from South Korea is Last Train from Busan, subtitled as well though. It’s about a virus that starts spreading that turns people in to zombies. It’s not your normal zombies though, these move fast as ####, it’s brilliant. The Koreans do tend to overact a bit, but I really enjoy them. Hope you give it a watch.

Aye I've seen it. Actually quite enjoyed it despite the subtitles. Might give it a bash later as in myself tnite. 

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, chester copperpot said:

Aye I've seen it. Actually quite enjoyed it despite the subtitles. Might give it a bash later as in myself tnite. 

:thumb: Look forward to your review 

Just watched 'Us'. Good follow up from Jordan Peele. Not quite as good as 'Get Out' imo. 7/10 from me

Carl Fredrickson

Fishermans Friends. I am a sucker for true story feel good movies and this didnt disappoint. Will not be everyone cup of tea but I really enjoyed it 8/10

Pet cemetery (2019)

Didn't really enjoy this at all.

Good cast with John lithgow and Jason Clarke.

Wont spoil it but ending seemed lazy 

4/10

Look forward to other opinions on this ?

chester copperpot
3 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

:thumb: Look forward to your review 

Brilliant movie, thoroughly enjoyed it 8/10.

Thought the acting at the end was tremendous and was very emotional.

Can you believe it only cost half a million dollars to make that movie? 

luckyBatistuta
17 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Brilliant movie, thoroughly enjoyed it 8/10.

Thought the acting at the end was tremendous and was very emotional.

Can you believe it only cost half a million dollars to make that movie? 

Yaaaaaaaaas, glad you liked it. Didn’t know that it only cost that, how is that even possible. 

Got another absolute belter for you now. One of the best war movies ever made and one of my favourite films I’ve watched.  It’s about two brothers divided on either side of the Korean War.

Edited by luckyBatistuta

chester copperpot
56 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Yaaaaaaaaas, glad you liked it. Didn’t know that it only cost that, how is that even possible. 

Got another absolute belter for you now. One of the best war movies ever made and one of my favourite films I’ve watched.  It’s about two brothers divided on either side of the Korean War.

Ooh another one to watch.

I got the half million thing from Wiki so not sure it's entirely accurate as some of the big scenes must've cost a fortune.

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Ooh another one to watch.

I got the half million thing from Wiki so not sure it's entirely accurate as some of the big scenes must've cost a fortune.

Does seem very cheap for the incredible visuals in that movie. I actually went out and bought the DVD of the ‘Brotherhood of War’ after watching it. Gave a mate a loan of it and still not got it back and looking at the date on the trailer, didn’t realise the barsteward has had it that long:lol: After watching the movie, he has actually visited the monument in South Korea that was built from that story.

chester copperpot
13 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Does seem very cheap for the incredible visuals in that movie. I actually went out and bought the DVD of the ‘Brotherhood of War’ after watching it. Gave a mate a loan of it and still not got it back and looking at the date on the trailer, didn’t realise the barsteward has had it that long:lol: After watching the movie, he has actually visited the monument in South Korea that was built from that story.

I will watch it next week as I am off for the school holidays :D

will report on it then 

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

I will watch it next week as I am off for the school holidays :D

will report on it then 

:thumb:

Ron Burgundy
15 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Train from Busan was great.

2 other Korean films that I enjoyed were, I saw The devil and The Tiger, A Hunters tale.

Both superb IMO.

luckyBatistuta
4 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

2 other Korean films that I enjoyed were, I saw The devil and The Tiger, A Hunters tale.

Both superb IMO.

Never seen either of them, will try and get a watch next week  :thumb:

Ron Burgundy
50 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Never seen either of them, will try and get a watch next week  :thumb:

Same guy who was in Old Boy stars in both of them.

If you don't think they are amazing then I refuse to acknowledge your film critiquing skills.

luckyBatistuta
21 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Same guy who was in Old Boy stars in both of them.

If you don't think they are amazing then I refuse to acknowledge your film critiquing skills.

:lol: Seen Old Boy, that octopus scene ??

rudi must stay
42 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

:lol: Seen Old Boy, that octopus scene ??

Remake is underrated too

:thumbsup:

luckyBatistuta
Just now, rudi must stay said:

Remake is underrated too

:thumbsup:

Didn’t know there was

rudi must stay
2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Didn’t know there was

Visually good. 

Most important thing with a film

luckyBatistuta
6 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Both superb IMO.

‘Just Watched the trailer for I saw the Devil, that’s the next film I’ll be watching, looks really good.

Ron Burgundy
6 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

‘Just Watched the trailer for I saw the Devil, that’s the next film I’ll be watching, looks really good.

Both are cracking films.

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Both are cracking films.

:thumb: I’ll put my score up

chester copperpot
4 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Couldn't find brotherhood of war.

Where did you get it?

Watched a movie on Netflix instead called Steel Rain. Awesome again.

You have really got me into these Korean movies Haha.

luckyBatistuta
53 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Couldn't find brotherhood of war.

Where did you get it?

Watched a movie on Netflix instead called Steel Rain. Awesome again.

You have really got me into these Korean movies Haha.

I’d let you borrow my copy if...:(

You can watch it here, subtitles in bottom right speech bubble...

https://dotsub.com/view/f4163509-7714-4fb7-8f07-83a81a03f267

I’ve got a cracking wee collection of Chinese movies on dvd too.

The White Crow 10/10

Rudolf Nureyev. Brilliant celebrarion of his talent and personality. There is quite a bit of dance. But it is more of a psychological drama as he comes to terms with his talent and yearning for a free life one that the West and in particular Paris offers. 

Ralph Fiennes directs and co-stars. Talking of subtitles it's half Russian. There are a lot of good supporting performances. I like it's celebration of Russian ballet as the pre-eminent form. It's goes through Nureyev's very humble background and his perfection of his art.  I'm also a fan because ballet ranks with boxing and martial arts as the toughest arena. 

It's also very high drama. It has his dramatic move and it's fine not to know too much beforehand. 

Went to see Shazam tonight with my son.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Lots of funny bits, good action scenes and good pacing.

Wee man is only 8 and was scared as hell at one point so just in case you are taking kids to see it be warned.

Moderate swearing too.

8.5/10

The Worlds End

8/10

Third and final instalment of the excellent “Cornetto Trilogy”.

Absolutely love all three of those films.

rudi must stay
23 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

The White Crow 10/10

Rudolf Nureyev. Brilliant celebrarion of his talent and personality. There is quite a bit of dance. But it is more of a psychological drama as he comes to terms with his talent and yearning for a free life one that the West and in particular Paris offers. 

Ralph Fiennes directs and co-stars. Talking of subtitles it's half Russian. There are a lot of good supporting performances. I like it's celebration of Russian ballet as the pre-eminent form. It's goes through Nureyev's very humble background and his perfection of his art.  I'm also a fan because ballet ranks with boxing and martial arts as the toughest arena. 

It's also very high drama. It has his dramatic move and it's fine not to know too much beforehand. 

Interesting review :thumbsup:

Reviews like the above make this a great thread

Fiennes is an interesting man and an absolutely brilliant actor, he's been in some rubbish over the years but he always stands out

Watched Captain Marvel today. Good film. Thought Brie Larson was excellent at leading the way and more charismatic than a lot of Internet trolls will have you believe. Hyped up nicely for Endgame now. 

7/10

On 04/04/2019 at 23:44, luckyBatistuta said:

Brotherhood of War is an outstanding film...extremely emotional.

Some other Korean films I’d recommend (apart from Old Boy, which is an absolute classic):

Sympathy for Mr Vengeance

Memories of Murder

A Bittersweet Life

On 05/04/2019 at 15:16, luckyBatistuta said:

Good but be warned, it is absolutely brutal.

4 hours ago, Deviskan said:

Some other Korean films I’d recommend (apart from Old Boy, which is an absolute classic):

Memories of Murder

A Bittersweet Life

The Man From Nowhere is decent too. 

Carl Fredrickson

Not a Korean movie but watched Missing Link today with the kids. A couple of laughs but on the whole pretty poor. 5/10

luckyBatistuta
7 hours ago, Deviskan said:

Memories of Murder

A Bittersweet Life

Cheers, well sorted for the week now?

6 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

:thumb: checked to see if it’s on my Cinema app and it’s there, watch it tomorrow, can’t wait.

luckyBatistuta
On 05/04/2019 at 09:01, Ron Burgundy said:

Both superb IMO.

On 07/04/2019 at 09:12, Ray Gin said:

Just finished watching I Saw the Devil  Really good film, but as you said, it’s brutal. I was wriggling in my seat with the Achilles tendon scene. Definitely recommend anyone watching this...as long as you can stomach a lot of gory stuff.

8/10

As Korean films go though, I still preferred…

Last train to Busan

Pandora

The Raid

5 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Just finished watching I Saw the Devil  Really good film, but as you said, it’s brutal. I was wriggling in my seat with the Achilles tendon scene. Definitely recommend anyone watching this...as long as you can stomach a lot of gory stuff.

8/10

As Korean films go though, I still preferred…

Last train to Busan

Pandora

The Raid

The Raid is Indonesian. Good film though - The Raid 2 is even better. 

Headshot and The Night Comes For Us are decent too. 

Wasn't well last week so watched BlackKlansman which I really liked. 9/10. Stumbled across Widows so gave it a go.

Enjoyed it despite Liam Neeson being in it. Thankfully he's not main character.

Anyway a solid 8/10.

Maybe Widows is well known as I'm no movie expert but if you don't know it give it a go.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

The Raid is Indonesian. Good film though - The Raid 2 is even better. 

Headshot and The Night Comes For Us are decent too. 

Always thought it was Korean, dunno why??‍♂️

Loved The Raid film and every time I tried to find a copy of the 2nd one there was none, had completely forgotabout  it. Just checked my Cinema app and it’s there, that’s getting watched in the next couple of days :thumb:

34 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Always thought it was Korean, dunno why??‍♂️

Loved The Raid film and every time I tried to find a copy of the 2nd one there was none, had completely forgotabout  it. Just checked my Cinema app and it’s there, that’s getting watched in the next couple of days :thumb:

It turns the violence up to 11!
(example fight scene in spoiler)

Edited by Ray Gin

luckyBatistuta
4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

It turns the violence up to 11!

Yaaas, loved the first one. It just never stops from the moment they enter the building. Tonight’s viewing sorted ?

William H. Bonney
7 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Yaaas, loved the first one. It just never stops from the moment they enter the building. Tonight’s viewing sorted ?

The prison fight scene is utterly ridiculous. Unrelenting violence. 

Fisherman's Friends - a good, harmless, occasionally amusing film with one particular lump-in-the-throat moment.

Carl Fredrickson

Pet Sematary

I havent read the book nor seen the previous film and to be honest, didnt have a clue what the film was about. Horror movies arent my No 1 choice but this one was pretty decent. To be honest I am a big jessie and will jump at anything (to the amusement of other cinema goers) 

John Lithgow was good in it and I will probably read the book to see how it differs. 6/10

Watched another Korean film last night...The Wailing.

it received 5 star reviews, named as one of the best recent horrors and has a 99% rating on Rotten Tomatoes etc.

However, I found it quite disappointing...it wasn’t scary in any way whatsoever, the acting was fine, the plot fairly straightforward ...but overall I found it decidedly average (in places it was more like a comedy in all honesty).

Telford_jambo123

Watched “wild rose” last night which is basically about an ex con who aspires to be a country western singer all the while being a jakie... 7/10

Missing Link

7/10

Took the wee man to see this yesterday.  Really enjoyed it. Quite funny as well.

Edited by iantjambo

Carl Fredrickson

Finally got round to watching Us last night. I quite enjoyed it - slasher more than a horror. Good story with a few humorous moments but the ending was a wee bit of a disappointment. Despite the ending would still give it 7/10