The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Carl Fredrickson
19 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Mad to be normal

4/10

An odd one. David Tennant plays R.D. Laing the sixties Scottish psychiatrist who had very different methods of treating the mentally ill and in particular Schizophrenia. He was either a visionary or an utter mentalist. Mrs F hated it whilst I found it quite interesting.

One let down was not knowing what happened to some of the characters.

I watched this on Wednesday and liked the idea of the film but not the film itself. (Hope that makes sense)

Carl Fredrickson

The Kid Who Would Be King. 6/10

My 8 year old boy gave it 10/10

A cross between Lord of the Rings, Home Alone and the Goonies. 

It was the first time the Odeon at WH showed this film and after the trailers the film didnt start. Lights went out and background music started playing. We went and told the staff and as a result I learnt a lot of how cinemas work.

The films are available for them to download from a secure sight and they are meant to be checked by a manager prior to the first showing. In this instance, the manager was late in arriving and the staff assumed all was well with the download. When it didnt work, they then had to download it again.

There was about a 59 minute delay but the staff were really nice and we got whatever refreshments we wanted for free plus vouchers for free entry to the cinema for our next visit. 

rudi must stay

Happy New Year, Colin Burstread

An excellent film with great characters and great performances. Typical Ben Wheatley, he is a clever director the way he makes films, always well edited and inventive, and I liked the humour in this too. Recommend it

8/10

I've just finished watching Blackkklansman, only £1.99 on Amazon just now. 

Very good film, probably Spike Lee's most accomplished film so far. Excellent performances from all the cast with special mention to Adam Driver. The last few minutes in particular are incredibly powerful. I thoroughly recommend it. 

Shanks said no

Life of the party

0/10

Melissa  McCarthy stars in this utter pile of crap. I hated it but my wife wanted to watch it. Supposedly a comedy about a wife who has a divorce sprung on her so joins her daughter at university. 

2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Life of the party

0/10

Melissa  McCarthy stars in this utter pile of crap. I hated it but my wife wanted to watch it. Supposedly a comedy about a wife who has a divorce sprung on her so joins her daughter at university. 

She is painfully unfunny. 

rudi must stay
On 15/02/2019 at 22:49, Tazio said:

I've just finished watching Blackkklansman, only £1.99 on Amazon just now. 

Very good film, probably Spike Lee's most accomplished film so far. Excellent performances from all the cast with special mention to Adam Driver. The last few minutes in particular are incredibly powerful. I thoroughly recommend it. 

Driver is some actor, should see him in Midnight Special. Underrated film

On 11/02/2019 at 17:10, rudi must stay said:

Heat

What a film. Acting masterclass, some of the best acting I've ever seen

10/10

It really is a great film

rudi must stay

Blackkklansman

Yes totally agree with the great reviews on here. Slick, exciting film and I really liked the soundtrack too. Yes I liked Adam Driver in it, but the main actor, John Donald Washington impressed me, never seen him before and he did a great job in this film I thought

8/10

The Acid House

5/10

The acting in the first part, "Granton Star Cause" is woeful (although the guy that plays God is decent). So much worse than I remember when I last watched this almost 20 years ago.

Thankfully improves for the middle part "A Soft Touch" which is probably the best of the 3 stories.

Edited by Ray Gin

William H. Bonney
4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

The Acid House

5/10

The acting in the first part, "Granton Star Cause" is woeful (although the guy that plays God is decent). So much worse than I remember when I last watched this almost 20 years ago.

Thankfully improves for the middle part "A Soft Touch" which is probably the best of the 3 stories.

Stephen mccole is a decent actor though. He was in a great Scottish sitcom called high times. 

A Private War 8/10

Intense, very personal psychological portrait of Sunday Times war correspondent Marie Colvin. True story. 

For anyone keen to see some real life like war impacts covering jobs in Sri Lanka, Iraq, Libya and Syria. 

It might be a bit biographical but packs  punch throughout. 

luckyBatistuta
50 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Watched Creed II today. Was alright. Dunno what else to say on it!

A count of 10?

North Berwick Jambo

Free Solo

The National Geographic film about the climber Alex Honnold attempting to be the first person to climb the 3200ft El Capitan’s in Yosemite without any ropes or safety equipment.

Really enjoyed this right up until he actually starts to attempt it, hights have never bothered me but dear god it was almost difficult to watch at times and my hands were actually sweating. Jaw dropping stuff, highly recommend it! 

9/10 

(UK tv premier on March 3rd) 

chester copperpot
11 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

A count of 10?

6/10 but think that's based on my love for the Rocky movies.

It probably isn't as high as that in all reality.

Shanks said no
On 16/02/2019 at 11:32, The Frenchman Returns said:

Life of the party

0/10

Looks like my opinion was shared elsewhere

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47332262

Melissa McCarthy: Oscar-nominated actress wins a Golden Raspberry

Worst actress - Melissa McCarthy, The Happytime Murders and Life of the Party

Shanks said no

Bad Samaritan

6/10

For consecutive weekends I watch a David Tennant film. This time he plays a psychopath and it was ok and fairly original. There were even a couple of jump out of your seat scenes. Was going to give it 7 but you really don't recover that quickly if you are hit repeatedly with a spade, axe handle, baseball bat etc, Couldn't really hate a psycho who drove a Maserati and had a bursd on speeddial who wore susses.

Sat with Mrs VM watching Leon the directors cut last night. 

What a brilliant film!! Not seen it in years. Gary Oldmans performance is stand out as deranged cop Stan. 

Its a cracker!!

5 hours ago, VladMagic said:

What a brilliant film!! Not seen it in years. Gary Oldmans performance is stand out as deranged cop Stan. 

Its a cracker!!

gary oldman is a great actor

The two deaths of Sam Cooke. On Netflix. Knew very little about him. Very interesting. 8/10

Edited by Jamhammer

19 hours ago, Tazio said:

The Greasy Strangler. 

Unusual to say say the least. 

Watched that a few months ago, my missus couldn't believe I stuck it out as she gave up after 5 mins.

I was intrigued by its weirdness.

Carl Fredrickson

Can You Forgive Me? 

Story about a failing writer who turns to forging letters from famous folk to flog. Based on a true story and I found it better than i thought it would be. Richard E Grant seems to play the same kind of character in everything I have seen him in. 7/10

On 22/02/2019 at 11:58, chester copperpot said:

Mary Queen of Scots

Absolute yawnfest 2/10

I really was looking forward to that and although theres decent performances from both ladies, the film itself is a bit slow. Could have been better done IMO so yeah, a bit if a yawnfest. 

4/10 I’ll give this one. 

Edited by Pans Jambo

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

I really was looking forward to that and although theres decent performances from both ladies, the film itself is a bit slow. Could have been better done IMO so yeah, a bit if a yawnfest. 

4/10 I’ll give this one. 

Spoiler

I thought it was ending then she does her 5 minute speech. So I totally agree with your review, some scenes could have been shorter

North Berwick Jambo
On 22/02/2019 at 02:29, Ibiza Jambo said:

Free Solo

The National Geographic film about the climber Alex Honnold attempting to be the first person to climb the 3200ft El Capitan’s in Yosemite without any ropes or safety equipment.

Really enjoyed this right up until he actually starts to attempt it, hights have never bothered me but dear god it was almost difficult to watch at times and my hands were actually sweating. Jaw dropping stuff, highly recommend it! 

9/10 

(UK tv premier on March 3rd) 

Wee bump to remind folks this is on Sunday night at 8pm ?

On 24/02/2019 at 08:25, VladMagic said:

Its a cracker!!

I love these calm little moments before the storm..... 

Excellent film and Oldman is fantastic 

Tommy Brown
On 21/02/2019 at 00:36, Smithee said:

I'm just going to answer with the best fight scene in puppet movie history

Also had the best puppet sex scene in movie history  ::oohmatron:

Carl Fredrickson

All Is True. Story of Shakespears life once he retired from writing. OK film but not my cup of tea 5/10

Hampden Demolition

The Game with Michael Douglas and Sean Penn. Was confused as to what was happening at first but it turned out to be quite good.

7/10.

Also watched Cold Pursuit expecting it to be a dark thriller but it was actually quite funny in parts.

6/10.

Carl Fredrickson
37 minutes ago, Hampden Demolition said:

The Game with Michael Douglas and Sean Penn. Was confused as to what was happening at first but it turned out to be quite good.

7/10.

Also watched Cold Pursuit expecting it to be a dark thriller but it was actually quite funny in parts.

6/10.

Saw The Game about 20 years ago and loved it. Had to watch it a second time to try and get what was going on!

I barely ever go to the cinema but flew out to Australia on my holidays last week and watched.

Bohemian rhapsody 8/10. Really enjoyed it and wanted to sing along.

A star is born 6/10. Pretty cheesy and contrived but the music was good and was surprised that Lady Gaga was a decent actor.

Beautiful boy 8/10. Had me crying. 

Green book 7/10. Pretty good even though I know it deviates from the true story. 

American hangman 7/10. Decent film but didn’t like the ending.

Believe me 6/10. True story but pretty predictable.

Now to decide what I’ll watch on the way back. 

Bohemian Rhapsody 

8/10

Very good, but the ending seemed a bit abrupt. As morbid as it sounds, I expected the story to continue onto his death.

Rami Malek was outstanding and seemed to get Freddie’s mannerisms spot on.

rudi must stay

MacBeth

2015 version. Strong visually, atmospheric and Fassbender is terrific, what an actor he is on form. Interesting film

10/10

Edited by rudi must stay