The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

I watched " A twelve year night"  last night on Netflix.  Its a stunning film about 3 " political agitators"  who are then taken prisoner / hostage for 12 years. in Uruguay .  Its harrowing stuff at times but ultimately uplifting .  It shows how they were dehumanised and degraded in an attempt to break their spirit in the hope they go mad or kill themselves. Its excellent.  One of those films we i was hooked right from the start.  8/10 

On the other hand before I saw the above  ,  i attempted to watch " Winchester" with the great Helen Mirren. I gave it 30 mins and binned it. Pile of crap.  

rudi must stay

Mary Queen of Scots 

Visually strong. But I felt it dragged infact I was surprised to even see the credits. But there is some good acting and it does flow quite well most of the time. Better than I expected

7/10

Edited by rudi must stay

Carl Fredrickson

Glass

I think this is the third part of a trilogy, of which have seen Ubreakable but not Split. 

Decent enough sort of superhero film. James McAvoy plays his role very well. 7/10

"Roma".  On Nerflix is very good. Slow film and nothing much happens as such but its a lovely film about family life and about a maid who works for a middle class Mexican family.   Its beautifully filmed in black and white.   I noticed it received 10 well deserved Oscar nominations today, both the actresses are nominated which is nice to see Mexican actors recognised.  8/10 from me. 

Francis Albert

Mary Queen of Scots. Disappointing. On her arrival at Leith did Mary really have to virtually swim ashore on a rocky coastline?  Having to that time spent her entire life in France did she really immediately (or ever?) have a Scottish accent (veering frequently towards an Irish accent)? The fictional meeting with Elixabeth is maybe a legitimate bit of artistic licence but why was it held in a barn with row after row of hanging bedsheets where the two queens play a sort of hide and seek? The story is sketchily and some times confusingly told with many missing events and periods. As a drama it sort of works though more like a Shakespeare adaptation than a historic re-enaction. Well acted though I thought the actor playing Elizabeth edged the one playing Mary.

A SIMPLE FAVOUR 

Quirky thriller starring Blake Lively and Anna Kendrick.

Some funny dialogue and well acted. Got a bit silly at the end for me still worth a watch.

6/10

Also caught the last hour of In Bruges on film 4.

A must see if you haven't already.

Francis Albert
12 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Stan and Ollie

An impeccable film. Start to finish and very funny

10/10

Seconded. Hopefully will appeal to anyone but I suspect especially to those who watched their films in Saturday morning cinemas or on black and white  television. Both leads are excellent, George C Riley as Ollie at least as good as Steve Coogan's Stan.

(as an aside it did cross my mind at one point that the audiences looked rather smart, middle class and wealthy ... but then recalled that everyone including (indeed possibly especially) the poor dressed better then than almost anyone does  today - in theatres, cinemas or indeed almost anywhere)

rudi must stay

Unsane 

Good psychological thriller starring Claire Foy, it reminded me alot of Momento 

Spoiler

Does go abit mad at the end though

7/10

rudi must stay
12 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Seconded. Hopefully will appeal to anyone but I suspect especially to those who watched their films in Saturday morning cinemas or on black and white  television. Both leads are excellent, George C Riley as Ollie at least as good as Steve Coogan's Stan.

(as an aside it did cross my mind at one point that the audiences looked rather smart, middle class and wealthy ... but then recalled that everyone including (indeed possibly especially) the poor dressed better then than almost anyone does  today - in theatres, cinemas or indeed almost anywhere)

Spoiler

Ye the attention to detail in the film is very strong throughout. I even noticed Oliver Hardy's pyjamas with Ollie written on the pocket

Carl Fredrickson

Mary Queen Of Scots

Very good film. Two leading ladies were excellent with a strong support cast. Not sure how historically accurate it was (i imagine a lot of stuff from so far back could be "open to interpretation)

8/10

rudi must stay

The Firm

Gary Oldman leads a group of football hooligans fighting against rival gangs, Alan Clarke TV film from the 80s probably. Decided to take a punt on it.

Brilliant watch, my respect for Gary Oldman as an actor only grows. An incredible actor. As for the show itself. High quality, an interesting script throughout

10/10

Edited by rudi must stay

Carl Fredrickson

A Dogs Way Home. A fathers love for his kids can be measured by the crap he will watch with them. 

8 and 3 year old kids loved it. Me not so much. I couldnt even doze off as my 3 year old was clambering over me whilst it was on.

Bright side is that the Lego Movie is out in a couple of weeks. 

chester copperpot

Vice.

Thought it was pants. Not my cup of tea at all despite Bale being brilliant in it.

Was really looking forward to it too!

3/10

Dagger Is Back

Free State Of Jones 8/10

Story of a confederate medic who grows disillusioned with the war,  and his subsequent fight to establish a mixed race free state in the Deep South 

Bohemian Rhapsody 7/10

I'm a Queen fan, I mean we have a painting of Freddie, but it's just not as good as I expected from the hype.

I enjoyed the musical bits of course, and the lad's performance was good, but I thought it was edging towards boring and was a bit clumsy in places.

Polar, sort of Kill Bill style with Mads Mikkelson and Matt Lucas playing a Bond style baddie.

Quite enjoyed it and some lovely scantily clad ladies to look at in between gratuitous violence.

luckyBatistuta
4 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Polar, sort of Kill Bill style with Mads Mikkelson and Matt Lucas playing a Bond style baddie.

Quite enjoyed it and some lovely scantily clad ladies to look at in between gratuitous violence.

One of my mates whatsapped our group saying we have to watch this, said it was great. Two days later and another mate texts the group to say that it’s absolute pish.

5 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Ill second that . I watched it last night. Only word to describe it is bonkers.  I actually thought it was really good, manic and never  stops for a minute... Very violent but anything with Mads Mikkelson  ( suave ) is well worth watching.  I noticed the snooty Guardian gave it one star review !! Couldn't believe it. I thought it was great . Also very funny at times. 

19 hours ago, Smithee said:

Bohemian Rhapsody 7/10

I'm a Queen fan, I mean we have a painting of Freddie, but it's just not as good as I expected from the hype.

I enjoyed the musical bits of course, and the lad's performance was good, but I thought it was edging towards boring and was a bit clumsy in places.

Yes its completely overrated. It does the unimaginable...it makes Freddie appear boring and dull and glossed over much of his lifestyle and sexuality. It might as well have been made by Disney.  I think its peoples affection for Freddie which is distorted their opinion of the film. Id give it 6/10.  The concert scenes are very good though 

56 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes its completely overrated. It does the unimaginable...it makes Freddie appear boring and dull and glossed over much of his lifestyle and sexuality. It might as well have been made by Disney.  I think its peoples affection for Freddie which is distorted their opinion of the film. Id give it 6/10.  The concert scenes are very good though 

6 was my first instinct too but the band scenes meant it deserved more, they really were good.

chester copperpot
4 hours ago, Smithee said:

6 was my first instinct too but the band scenes meant it deserved more, they really were good.

The guy who played Brian May should have got the Oscar nomination. He was brill in it. 

AQUAMAN 6/10

Bit long I felt and one of the villains looks like a bad guy from the Power Rangers. 

Some good fight scenes and Jason Momoa is likable enough in this role.

rudi must stay
9 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

The guy who played Brian May should have got the Oscar nomination. He was brill in it. 

As for the rest not so much

One of the them was in Jurassic Park, he was certainly better in that

chester copperpot
8 hours ago, Madjambo21 said:

AQUAMAN 6/10

Bit long I felt and one of the villains looks like a bad guy from the Power Rangers. 

Some good fight scenes and Jason Momoa is likable enough in this role.

I turned it off after an hour. I tried to like it but somehow couldn't warm to it!

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 22:39, rudi must stay said:

Stan and Ollie

An impeccable film. Start to finish and very funny

10/10

Saw this on Sunday with my 10yr old son and both of us agree with all the above. The acting from all the cast was superb. Shirley Hendred on as Ollie's wife was superb as they all were.

On Saturday, January 26, 2019 at 00:10, rudi must stay said:

The Firm

Gary Oldman leads a group of football hooligans fighting against rival gangs, Alan Clarke TV film from the 80s probably. Decided to take a punt on it.

Brilliant watch, my respect for Gary Oldman as an actor only grows. An incredible actor. As for the show itself. High quality, an interesting script throughout

10/10

Phil Davis brilliant in this too.

rudi must stay

Black '47

This is an excellent thriller with a number of great performances. Worth a watch

8/10

Edited by rudi must stay

chester copperpot

Dunno if it was classed as a film or a docufilm but watched that Abducted in Plain Sight last night.

That was a bat shit mental storyline.

Won't spoil it for anyone however if you liked Making a Murderer then you will love this!

Don't want to give it a score as it really wasn't enjoyable but was really really gripping!

Edited by chester copperpot

On Friday, January 18, 2019 at 16:56, Jambojay84 said:

Not seen the machinist yet, might give it a miss now. Another good Bale film is 3:10 to Yuma, him and Crowe worked well I thought 

Ben Miller steals that film imho. Very good film though as is the original with Glenn Ford.

rudi must stay
12 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Ben Miller steals that film imho. Very good film though as is the original with Glenn Ford.

Had to look your post up as that was surprising trivia. It's Ben Foster, although I like Miller as a comedy actor too

22 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Had to look your post up as that was surprising trivia. It's Ben Foster, although I like Miller as a comedy actor too

Yeah. Ben Foster. Got my Ben's mixed up.

4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Never really liked westerns ( especially the old ones about injuns) but much prefer the new more realistic depiction. 350 to Yuma was fantastic. Russel Crowe is probably my favourite modern actor. Reminds me of Brando

" Blackkklansman" . Watched it last night. Its very good. Read up about it later and slightly disappointed that a lot of it is made up . However still a very good film. Very pertinent to day with the right wing on the rise in the USA and its savage about Trump.   The acting was superb . Especially the up and coming actor Adam Driver.  Hes One to watch.   Spike Lee is nominated for best director at the Oscars.  Hope he wins. Long overdue.   8/10

Edited by JamesM48
errors

Dagger Is Back

American Animals 5/10

The true story of 4 US fellas who plan the theft of some very rare and valuable books from a University.

Lots of flashbacks and fast forwards and had lots of potential, but it dragged for me.

The Hitman's Bodyguard, with Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L.Jackson.

Very entertaining and worth watching.  8/10

rudi must stay

American Animals

I will agree with the above poster with his comments, but I enjoyed the acting, the main guy Evan Peters is a total natural and very good here. Lots of exciting scenes too. I enjoyed it

8/10

Carl Fredrickson

Vice. 

Like Michael Moores films this is viewing things from one side but if half what the film say sis true, then Dick Cheney is aptly named. 

8/10

Carl Fredrickson

The Lego Movie 2 

Loved it. Very clever movie. Probably bias as the kids and I love Lego.

Laughed out loud at one point 8/10

Shanks said no

Mad to be normal

4/10

An odd one. David Tennant plays R.D. Laing the sixties Scottish psychiatrist who had very different methods of treating the mentally ill and in particular Schizophrenia. He was either a visionary or an utter mentalist. Mrs F hated it whilst I found it quite interesting.

One let down was not knowing what happened to some of the characters.

Kalamazoo Jambo

BlacKkKlansman. Fantastic stuff although (as mentioned above) a lot of the drama in the second half of the movie is a major departure from actual events. In parts funny, in parts horrifying. Set in the 70s but lot of deliberate nods to racism in the Trump era and the ending is particularly poignant. Great acting all around, and maybe Spike Lee gets that Oscar.

9/10

22 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

BlacKkKlansman. Fantastic stuff although (as mentioned above) a lot of the drama in the second half of the movie is a major departure from actual events. In parts funny, in parts horrifying. Set in the 70s but lot of deliberate nods to racism in the Trump era and the ending is particularly poignant. Great acting all around, and maybe Spike Lee gets that Oscar.

9/10

Fantastic film.