The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Hampden Demolition

Watched Mission Impossible: Fallout on Sunday for the 2nd time. Great film and best in the series. 8/10.

Also watch Unbreakable which was really enjoyable. 7/10.

rudi must stay
On 05/01/2019 at 23:06, Dagger Is Back said:

Rampage 1/10

Serves me right. Made nearly $300m profit! Staggering

Didn't get past the bit with the ape swearing at them, weird scene. I'm trusting Kickback on it

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

That is very generous! 

Going to see The Favourite tonight. Will report back later but it gets very good reviews 

Aye you’re right. 0/10 would have been generous.

6 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Didn't get past the bit with the ape swearing at them, weird scene. I'm trusting Kickback on it

Good decision  Rudi

I watched "Come hell or High Water" on Film4  just before Xmas. Would highly recommend - I'd never heard of the movie but it had great critical acclaim and a few Oscar nominations. Good story, great acting from Jeff Bridges and an unexpected twist in the ending. 

Disser Pointon
2 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

That is very generous! 

Going to see The Favourite tonight. Will report back later but it gets very good reviews 

I wouldn't bother but it might be your cup of tea!

Carl Fredrickson
16 minutes ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

I wouldn't bother but it might be your cup of tea!

Odeon Limitless member so tend to watch stuff that I wouldnt normally go to see. 

luckyBatistuta

Went to see Bumblebee yesterday, brilliant movie. Yes John Cenas character and acting are corny, but it’s meant to be.

Loved it...9/10

luckyBatistuta

Green Book,

Watched this last night after a mates recommendation. It’s based on a true story and is a cracking movie. So glad he recommended it to me, as I think it would have been a movie that slipped me by. It really is a good movie, you’ll not be disappoin.

9/10

luckyBatistuta
59 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

The Meg. 

Shite... Absolutely Shite... Utterly Utterly Utterly Shite???

0/10,???

Love Statham

rudi must stay

The Favourite. Really enjoyed it. Olivia Coleman is excellent in it. Thought the ending was a bit disappointing 8/10

Saw it as well. I think it is an excellent film yes. I was surprised by the humour, I didn't know it was by the same guy that did The Lobster. Yes she was as was Emma Stone. Agree with your score

luckyBatistuta

American Hangman,

Couldn’t stop watching it, just to see how it all played out, but at the end of it all, it was just an ok

6.5/10

chester copperpot
12 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

The Meg. 

0/10,???

It was shite but still enjoyed it.

Statham is a tosser though and a poor actor.

Sorry LB 

On 09/01/2019 at 18:43, Dawnrazor said:

The Meg. 

0/10,???

When I saw the trailer for that I instantly thought "Shut up, Meg!"

Looks pish.

On 09/01/2019 at 16:19, Carl Fredrickson said:

Odeon Limitless member so tend to watch stuff that I wouldnt normally go to see. 

Yeah i know what u mean. I had limitless card for Cineworld and I cancelled it when I reached my nadir of going to see a film with Zac Efron in it...!! Just to use my card.  The card always seems a good idea if willing to just go see anything. 

I saw " Stan and Ollie " today. Its outstanding. Coogan and Reilly were so believable as them. In their mannerism, body language and their comedy routines.  Its a really beautiful and moving tribute to them and Id highly recommend it. As well as being very funny it explored their relationship quite accurately and I had tears in my eyes at the end in between the laughs.  I am  gobsmacked their neither actor have been considered in the awards season.  Just cant fathom it.   

8/10 

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

I saw " Stan and Ollie " today. Its outstanding. Coogan and Reilly were so believable as them. In their mannerism, body language and their comedy routines.  Its a really beautiful and moving tribute to them and Id highly recommend it. As well as being very funny it explored their relationship quite accurately and I had tears in my eyes at the end in between the laughs.  I am  gobsmacked their neither actor have been considered in the awards season.  Just cant fathom it.   

8/10 

Saw it this afternoon and agree with everything you say. Reilly was excellent, as was Coogan.

8/10  from me too.

Afternoon off so I also watched Spiderman: Spiderverse.

Excellent 8/10.

A good afternoon spent in the cinema!

Carl Fredrickson

I dont work Mondays and this week I have a free day once I drop the kids off at school. Tempted to go for a double bill of Stan  & Ollie and the Upside. 

Finished work and went to see Stan and Ollie. First film in what must be years that I've not checked my phone or the time once. Completely hooked from the first shot to the last. Terrific movie! 

5 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

8/10 

JCR was up for best actor in a comedy at the Globes. Coogan I believe got a bafta nomination but I might be off on that one. More award bait roles will unfortunately overshadow these two however

12 hours ago, Thommo414 said:

JCR was up for best actor in a comedy at the Globes. Coogan I believe got a bafta nomination but I might be off on that one. More award bait roles will unfortunately overshadow these two however

Yes I did check what awards they had been nominated for,   Not that many as such .  No " New York Critics" or other such prestigious awards.  Yea Coogan has the British Bafta Nomination but what happened to Reilly?  They are equally as good.  I think this year as you say more " awards bait" performances are saturating the market ( Bradly Cooper, Christian Bale, Rami Malek et al) whether they are better than Coogan or Reilly who knows.  Im always more amazed who hasn't won an Oscar anyway. Its never the greatest barometer of acting talent at times as its usually a popularity contest, or someone wins for sentimental reasons and usually due to a film having big box office too .  Thais why I think Malek will walk away with the Best actor.  Those who haven't won a competitive Oscar are an incredible group.,  Garbo, Deborah Kerr, Chaplin, Irene Dunne, Cary Grant, Barbara Stanwyck er al.  

I’ve always thought JCR is an underrated actor, never been keen on Coogan but might give their new one a watch. Also JCR fans watch criminal, it’s a bit older but a great watch with a very good cast including Maggie Gyllenhall and Diego Luna and a belter of a twist at the end 

2 hours ago, Jambojay84 said:

I’ve always thought JCR is an underrated actor, never been keen on Coogan but might give their new one a watch. Also JCR fans watch criminal, it’s a bit older but a great watch with a very good cast including Maggie Gyllenhall and Diego Luna and a belter of a twist at the end 

I've got to agree about John C. Reilly, a fantastic actor and much underrated. 

Red Sparrow. 

8/10.

10 hours ago, Jambojay84 said:

I dont think he is underrated more he doesn't get the lead parts.  He has often had rave reviews for his performances i believe. Seems he is always the bridesmaid never the bride judging my nominations he has had. His time will come.  . 

Dagger Is Back

Leave No Trace 8/10

Story of a young girl and her Dad who live off the grid. He suffers from PTSD and the story is about their lives off the grid and how they grow apart and realise they need different things

Watched "The Shape of Water" last night with Mrs Vlad Magic.

Strange strange film. We both had similar comments on it. It's like "Splash" only on acid? Random acts of female nudity and self pleasure mixed in with a surreal love story between fish man and mute woman?

I really cant describe it any other way?

Anyone else seen it able to give a better summary?

Carl Fredrickson
13 hours ago, VladMagic said:

Strange strange film. We both had similar comments on it. It's like "Splash" only on acid? Random acts of female nudity and self pleasure mixed in with a surreal love story between fish man and mute woman?

I think you have described it well enough for me to add to my "avoid" list :)

I think you have described it well enough for me to add to my "avoid" list :)

I wouldn't avoid it as such? It's actually not a bad film? It's just a bit weird?

It's very weird actually. Visually its very pretty. It's also quite charming in places but so very strange how one minute its this classy love story with a young mute lady feeding this alien eggs then all of a sudden its gross as a blokes decaying fingers break off from his hand? 

Its "neither one nor tutha" as a famous Yorkshire man once said ;)

Carl Fredrickson
On 11/01/2019 at 17:24, JamesM48 said:

8/10 

Just back from Stan & Ollie and agree with this review. Coogan & Reilly were inspired castings. Felt really sad at the end. 

On 13/01/2019 at 14:59, VladMagic said:

I wouldn't avoid it as such? It's actually not a bad film? It's just a bit weird?

It's very weird actually. Visually its very pretty. It's also quite charming in places but so very strange how one minute its this classy love story with a young mute lady feeding this alien eggs then all of a sudden its gross as a blokes decaying fingers break off from his hand? 

Its "neither one nor tutha" as a famous Yorkshire man once said ;)

I watched it on a flight, my daughter had been raving about it so went into it not that arsed cos our tastes are very different.  I cried like a big Jessie at the song and dance bit.

It is a very strange and beautiful film. Some fine acting in it too. 

luckyBatistuta
On 10/01/2019 at 06:50, chester copperpot said:

It was shite but still enjoyed it.

Statham is a tosser though and a poor actor.

Sorry LB 

I’m not disagreeing with any of that, but there is something I just love about Statham films. You know what you’re going to get when you sit down, just roll with it. Love the Crank movies, but Meg and The Mechanic are definitely his poorest.

On 12/01/2019 at 23:48, VladMagic said:

Will ‘Fish Pish’ cover it?

On 14/01/2019 at 13:54, Hector Riva said:

Green book - 8/10

Great movie :thumb:

chester copperpot

How was Upside @Carl Fredrickson 

I saw a trailer for this and looks like I would like it.

Also when someone sees Glass and Vice would appreciate some reviews as looking to go see all 3 on the big screen.

Thanks 

Carl Fredrickson
25 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Also when someone sees Glass and Vice would appreciate some reviews as looking to go see all 3 on the big screen.

Thanks 

Only managed Stan and Ollie on Monday - but just in from Upside. Told folk at work I was going to see it tonight and they said it got poor reviews. I really enjoyed it. Lots of laughs but also lots of talking points and things to think about. 7/10 (closer to an 8 than a 6)

Glass and Vice are on my list (along with Mary Queen of Scots). Probably see at least one of them on Monday. Good time of year to have limitless!

chester copperpot
Just now, Carl Fredrickson said:

Only managed Stan and Ollie on Monday - but just in from Upside. Told folk at work I was going to see it tonight and they said it got poor reviews. I really enjoyed it. Lots of laughs but also lots of talking points and things to think about. 7/10 (closer to an 8 than a 6)

Glass and Vice are on my list (along with Mary Queen of Scots). Probably see at least one of them on Monday. Good time of year to have limitless!

I have been looking into this but the only Cineworld or Odeon are miles away from me, the only 2 real close ones to me are Showcase in Coatbridge and Vue at the Fort and neither offers limitless offer which is a pain in the hoop.

Thanks for the review will go so this now Saturday or Sunday.

Cheers :thumb:

40 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Thanks 

Watched Vice the other day and it’s a very good movie, Bale is brilliant in it. With that being said I think McKay should stick to W.Ferrell comedies. The film does get the heart rate up similar to the Big Short though ??

chester copperpot
1 hour ago, Jambojay84 said:

Watched Vice the other day and it’s a very good movie, Bale is brilliant in it. With that being said I think McKay should stick to W.Ferrell comedies. The film does get the heart rate up similar to the Big Short though ??

I absolutely hated Bale until I watched him in The Fighter and now love him. 

Was genuinely gutted when he was replaced by Affleck as Batman ???

rudi must stay
3 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

I absolutely hated Bale until I watched him in The Fighter and now love him. 

Was genuinely gutted when he was replaced by Affleck as Batman ???

Bale's brilliant. Seen him in The Machinist?

5 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Bale's brilliant. Seen him in The Machinist?

Great performance iirc his next film was batman. Massive change in his body

chester copperpot
4 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Weird but ye interesting film

I don't do weird mate, probably why I gave it a miss first time round!

rudi must stay
13 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

I don't do weird mate, probably why I gave it a miss first time round!

Me neither anymore

2 hours ago, Jambojay84 said:

Not seen the machinist yet, might give it a miss now. Another good Bale film is 3:10 to Yuma, him and Crowe worked well I thought 

I never liked westerns as a kid but love the "newer "type of ones such as the great " 350 to Yuma" and " Unforgiven" More revisionist and realistic. No chasing the " injuns" 

Watched the Quincy Jones doc on Netflix.

Loved it. 

What a man! 

Is give it a 9/10 but I like his productions anyway so I'm not sure how it would go for someone who isn't necessarily a fan. 

On 18/01/2019 at 16:56, Jambojay84 said:

Not seen the machinist yet, might give it a miss now. Another good Bale film is 3:10 to Yuma, him and Crowe worked well I thought 

The Machinist is a brilliant film. Bale is outstanding in it. 

On 18/01/2019 at 16:56, Jambojay84 said:

Rescue Dawn too. 

Disser Pointon

Mary queen of Scots. 8/10. Both female parts played very well if a little historically inaccurate. Have to say it left me thinking that Mary was a bit gobby and brought a lot of it on herself!