The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Shanks said no

The Foreigner

7/10

Really enjoyed wee Jackie Chan taking it to the IRA and Gerry Adams in particular. Obviously very far fetched but every one he took down got a cheer from me.

The Last Jedi - saw this on Christmas Eve. Like the other new ones, very enjoyable although about twenty minutes too long. 8/10

John Wick - had been meaning to catch this for ages. Big dumb action movie but great fun. 7/10

16 minutes ago, Zico said:

John Wick - had been meaning to catch this for ages. Big dumb action movie but great fun. 7/10

Just don't watch the sequel.

luckyBatistuta

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri 

Crime, Drama

One of the best films I’ve seen in quite a while, brilliant film with some superb performances, especially  Frances McDormand, who must be in the running for an Oscar after this.

9/10

3 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri 

Crime, Drama

One of the best films I’ve seen in quite a while, brilliant film with some superb performances, especially  Frances McDormand, who must be in the running for an Oscar after this.

9/10

Yah?

Might have to check that out then

luckyBatistuta
17 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Yah?

Might have to check that out then

Yah, honestly Smithee, watch it, you’ll really enjoy it.

The Florida project 

6-year-old girl living in a motel with her rebellious mother in Orlando as they try to stay out of trouble and make ends meet.

Good film. Solid 8/10

Hostiles - I'm not a huge western fan but this was very good. Christian Bale plays a US soldier who has to return a Native American and his family back home. Well shot, great Max Richter score and great performances from Bale, Wes Studi and Rosamund Pike. 8/10

Freeway: A Crack In The System - great documentary that focuses on Freeway Rick Ross who supplied south central LA with coke and crack in the eighties. However it also covers how the US government were complicit in this through their support of the contras, how dirty cops were involved etc. Well worth watching, especially if you’ve seen the film Kill The Messenger as it’s most of the people that film was about (including Gary Webb). 8/10

Get Out 7/10

A black man goes with his white girlfriend to stay with her parents (and meet them for the first time). He gets the feeling something is not right. That is all i will say about the film. Good performances from the leads

Jumanji 2

My 12 year old boy and me went not knowing what to expect .

Well we both really enjoyed it and my boy can be a tricky one to get laughing out loud. Proper laugh out loud moments. Last film to do that was probably the Hunt for Wilder People.

The Rock and Jack Black were stand outs.

I know it's maybe not everyone's type of film but it was genuinely good.  Great gags really well delivered. 

An strong 8/10 

Another shout here for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.  Brilliant from Frances McDormand, and from Sam Rockwell, with good work by Woody Harrelson.

Shanks said no

The Polka King

3/10

Jack Black stars in this Netflix original.He plays a real life Polish immigrant, Jan “Lewan” Lewandowski who is a Polka band leader and crook. Found Black and the accent irritating and was glad when it finished.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

Best film I've seen in a long, long time. 

Brilliant performances by Frances McDormand, Sam Rockwell and Woody Harleson.

Gritty crime drama with quite a few laugh out loud moments too.

9/10.

Disser Pointon
12 hours ago, robbo1874 said:

Jumanji 2

Well we both really enjoyed it and my boy can be a tricky one to get laughing out loud. Proper laugh out loud moments. Last film to do that was probably the Hunt for Wilder People.

I know it's maybe not everyone's type of film but it was genuinely good.  Great gags really well delivered. 

An strong 8/10 

Also saw this at the weekend and concur, good honest fun.

14 hours ago, robbo1874 said:

Jumanji 2

An strong 8/10 

Saw this too with my 9 1/2 years old laddie on Sat afternoon. He's more grown up than I thought he was. 6.5/10.

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Saw this too with my 9 1/2 years old laddie on Sat afternoon. He's more grown up than I thought he was. 6.5/10.

Fair enough but I laughed more or as much as my boy 

Maybe says more about me :P

William H. Bonney
13 hours ago, invernessjt said:

9/10.

Sam Rockwell is superb in this film. 

13 hours ago, invernessjt said:

9/10.

Easily the best of the ones tipped for Oscars I have seen.

I' Tonya 

Never really knew too much of the Harding story other than how it ended.Makes you feel a little sympathy for her.Quite a good film but Robbie is totally miscast 7.5/10

rudi must stay

Absolutely Fabulous

Never really liked the show but I thought this was alright. Some funny moments which is what you want in a comedy and some great cameos

6/10

Disser Pointon

Was really looking forward to 3 Billboards following the reviews it's received then my laddie tells me this morning he went to see it and was really disappointed, with the ending in particular spoiling it for him.

Carl Fredrickson

Watched the Back To The Future films over the weekend with my son. I hadnt watched them for a number of years and really enjoyed revisiting them. My son LOVED them. 

Nobody seen The Greatest Showman yet?

I went tonight as I had heard good things from folk on Facebook and the trailer looked good when I went to see Star Wars.

I never realised it was a musical.

That said it was pretty decent.

7/10

Darkest Hour 6/10

Oldman is outstanding but overall I never felt there was enough tension in the film.I could watch Lily James in anything though very pleasing on the eye.

Shanks said no

The Man with the Iron Heart

7/10

Film about Reinhard  Heydrich and his assassination. Very similar to Operation Anthropoid but I liked it better as it told you the backstory about the Young Evil God of Death. Fell away a bit when it came to the assassination as it was shown in a similar way.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - top notch black comedy. Dark in bits but funny throughout. Excellent performances by Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell, with strong support. A few holes in the plot and Harrelson’s wife was miscast but very good overall.  8/10

rudi must stay

The Man With The Iron Heart

Very impressed with this film. War films can sometimes be very dull and slow IMO but this one isn't like that at all. Plenty of action and great scenes, and I thought the acting was great, Jason Clarke is brilliant as is Stephen Graham as Himmler, who would have seen that one, but he's brilliant, I always have time for Jack O'Connell as an actor he has alot of talent and you get some good moments from him. It's a similar story to Anthropoid, which came out at the same time, solid enough movie but this is far more interesting

9/10

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 22:38, luckyBatistuta said:

Another massive vote for 3 Billboards outside Ebbing Missouri.... This film is simply fantastic.  The performances from the cast are brilliant. Frances Mcdormand is a shoo in for the Best Actress Oscar.. She reminded me of older film stars like Bette  Davis who commanded the screen.   I also felt the film was almost like a modern day western and strangely enough I read an interview about Mcdormand later and she stated that John Wayne inspired her in this role  !!   She is so tough and resilient on the role. Its also shockingly funny.  I loved the scene when she dealt with her sons school bullies ( swift kicks to the b**** and F***)  to them both.  The supporting cast were brilliant too especially Sam Rockwell and Woody Harrelson.   I note someone was " disappointed" with the ending.  I felt it was perfect and hoped it would have that ending . 

The Post 7/10

Drama of real events relating to newspaper publishing of a secret government report into the Vietnam war. Basically the government lying for years and keeping war going when knew couldn't win. 

It's more like a domestic drama and could be found a bit boring. Curious and interesting for that too.  

Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep who is very much a woman in a man's world. 

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

The Post 7/10

Drama of real events relating to newspaper publishing of a secret government report into the Vietnam war. Basically the government lying for years and keeping war going when knew couldn't win. 

It's more like a domestic drama and could be found a bit boring. Curious and interesting for that too.  

I’m not sure if I can handle the inevitable Spielberg/Hanks schmaltz and given the current climate, I’ll guess Streep endures terrible prejudice but wins the sceptical men over with her hard work and intelligence?

There’s a great documentary on this that’s well worth watching - The Most Dangerous Man In America. It’s all about Daniel Ellsberg rather than the journos. 

14 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

The Post 7/10

11 hours ago, Zico said:

I’m not sure if I can handle the inevitable Spielberg/Hanks schmaltz and given the current climate, I’ll guess Streep endures terrible prejudice but wins the sceptical men over with her hard work and intelligence?

There’s a great documentary on this that’s well worth watching - The Most Dangerous Man In America. It’s all about Daniel Ellsberg rather than the journos. 

Im one of those cinema fans who cant understand the love in for Streep....I really cant.  I find her very mechanical and cold on screen and absolutely zero warmth.  ive enjoyed some of her films but I find her  repetitious. The great Pauline Kael ( film critic) felt the same so Im not a minority . 

On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 00:41, rudi must stay said:

The Man With The Iron Heart

Very impressed with this film. War films can sometimes be very dull and slow IMO but this one isn't like that at all. Plenty of action and great scenes, and I thought the acting was great, Jason Clarke is brilliant as is Stephen Graham as Himmler, who would have seen that one, but he's brilliant, I always have time for Jack O'Connell as an actor he has alot of talent and you get some good moments from him. It's a similar story to Anthropoid, which came out at the same time, solid enough movie but this is far more interesting

9/10

That looks good. Impressive cast. Stephen Graham is great as well as Mcconnel. 

...a bit disco

Bad Day For The Cut (Netflix)

Decent Irish revenge thriller with the reluctant hero being a farmer with a shotgun.

7/10

IT This version is pretty decent. Starts in the 80's as oppose to the 60's but still fairly relevant to the book. Like how it finished. Need to wait for part2 now which will bring the story up to date. 8/10.

Darkest Hour 8/10

Interesting film, informative about the initial time Churchill became PM. So much opposition to him and like he says at one point, the premiership was a poisoned chalice when it was handed to him. Dragged at points but even the wife was interested the whole way through.

On 14/01/2018 at 20:07, Ulysses said:

Another shout here for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.  Brilliant from Frances McDormand, and from Sam Rockwell, with good work by Woody Harrelson.

Same here.Easily the best new movie I have watched in a while.

...a bit disco

Thor Ragnarok.

They've gone with more humour in this one.

Laugh-out-loud enjoyable.

7/10

2 hours ago, deesidejambo said:

If Mcdormand and Rockwell don’t get Oscars there is no hope in this world

Absolutely fantastic compelling performances

I always find it crazy how a movie can be nominated for best film but not best director.Agree though both McDormand and Rockwell are great.Shame Rockwell and Woody are competing against each other for best supporting actor.

18 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I always find it crazy how a movie can be nominated for best film but not best director.Agree though both McDormand and Rockwell are great.Shame Rockwell and Woody are competing against each other for best supporting actor.

I can see how the film itself is not Oscar winning quality but it's the performances that made it fantastic 

Just now, deesidejambo said:

I can see how the film itself is not Oscar winning quality but it's the performances that made it fantastic 

I just think if a movie is up for best film then surely it should be best director as well.

1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

I just think if a movie is up for best film then surely it should be best director as well.

I see what you mean.   maybe the film is a bit too Trainspotting for Americans.   I don't think they do tragi-comedies.

but if Mcdormand and Rockwell don't win the Academy can g.  T.   F

rudi must stay

The Post

I found this movie slow and dull in the main, there are of course some good scenes. Tom Hanks tries his best and I would have given at least an Oscar Nomination 

6/10