The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Their Finest 7/10

Wartime film with Gemma Arterton as part of team making a propaganda film to boost morale etc. Bill Nighy is one of the actors for the film.

I think its quite a subtle film covering the effects of war on people quite well. It supports the role of women. Its a bit over emotional at times. But decent film shot in London and South Wales. Sets are good, quite realistic.

Its got humour too.

Brimstone

6.5/10

Slow paced, dark as **** thriller/horror/western featuring Guy Pearce as a rather nasty Preacher, but gets a bit silly at the end and loses a mark.

Bone Tomahawk

6.5/10

Another horror/thriller/western, this time about a group kidnapped by a cannibalistic group of native Americans. Some eye-wateringly brutal scenes.

Shanks said no

Morgan

7/10

Something a wee bit different. The official line is "A corporate risk-management consultant has to decide and determine whether or not to terminate an artificial being's life that was made in a laboratory environment." Doesn't really do it justice though. Looks like a young girl but isn't what she seems, she's artificial and isn't quite right. Won't say too much but you will WTF a few times. Just felt it lost is way a bit and could have been a classic.

Shanks said no

The Promise

8.5/10

Lucky enough to see a preview showing of this tonight, out on Friday. Love story around the genocide of the Armenian nation by the Turks during WW1. Sort of Dr Zhivago meets Schindlers List. I enjoyed it for the history and epic proportions of some scenes and the wife cried at the love story. Stars Oscar Isaac, Charlotte Le Bon and Christian Bale.

Footnote, there seems to be a campaign to slate this film from the Turks, as they deny that they were responsible for killing 1.5 million people, so if you see negative ratings they may not be a true reflection - after just three screenings at the Toronto International Film Festival last year, it somehow amassed more than 50,000 one-star ratings on IMDb.

The Promise

8.5/10

Lucky enough to see a preview showing of this tonight, out on Friday. Love story around the genocide of the Armenian nation by the Turks during WW1. Sort of Dr Zhivago meets Schindlers List. I enjoyed it for the history and epic proportions of some scenes and the wife cried at the love story. Stars Oscar Isaac, Charlotte Le Bon and Christian Bale.

Footnote, there seems to be a campaign to slate this film from the Turks, as they deny that they were responsible for killing 1.5 million people, so if you see negative ratings they may not be a true reflection - after just three screenings at the Toronto International Film Festival last year, it somehow amassed more than 50,000 one-star ratings on IMDb.

Nice you enjoyed it. I've seen it said it doesn't give the real background to what happened. But this was an ambitious project. Putting it the context of a love story is clever. Anything that highlights this almost hidden tradegy is to be welcomed. You're review makes it more likely I'll go to see it.

Just heard that Jonathan Demme dirctor has died of cancer.

While I know he was famous for Silence of the Lambs earlier films got my attention.

So if you haven't seen this

Something Wild 1986 10/10 including brilliant performance by debut Ray Liotta.

Shanks said no

Nice you enjoyed it. I've seen it said it doesn't give the real background to what happened. But this was an ambitious project. Putting it the context of a love story is clever. Anything that highlights this almost hidden tradegy is to be welcomed. You're review makes it more likely I'll go to see it.

Cheers, I knew about modern day tensions between the 2 countries but only a little about the genocide. You are right that it's one hell of a topic to cover in 130 odd minutes. The lead actor could be seen as representing the Armenian plight, everything that could go wrong does. The end and the credits do bring some of message through quite forcefully. There is a quote there that would be a spoiler if I repeated it but I had a tear in my eye when I read it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luckyBatistuta

Just started watching one if THE all time classic movies, for about the 50th time.

Deliverance...10/10

An oldie, but a belter

Anyone who hasn't seen this movie, has seriously missed out.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeereeeeeeee, Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeereee

Shanks said no

Tomboy (2016) - original title The Assignment

7/10

My taste is for unusual films and this did have a few surprises. An assassin played by Michelle Rodriguez (from Lost) wakes up having undergone gender re-assignment surgery. She's been operated on by Sigourney Weaver. Won't say too much more but its quite an odd film, good start and finish, middle dips a bit.

North Berwick Jambo

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

I am not a massive fan of the Marvel films but I liked the first one and this one was just as good. There are some new well know faces, It has a great soundtrack and loads of real laugh out loud moments, worth a watch.

8/10

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

I am not a massive fan of the Marvel films but I liked the first one and this one was just as good. There are some new well know faces, It has a great soundtrack and loads of real laugh out loud moments, worth a watch.

8/10

Thought it was great best comedy I have seen for ages.I think it tops the first one 9/10

vegas-voss

Good laugh out loud moments, but lost its way a little for me towards the end.

Better than the first...no, not for me, but still an 8.5/10.

I thought the humour in it pushed it ahead of the first movie.Maybe I went in expecting to be a little disappointed and because I really enjoyed it I looked over a few things that were weak in it though.

vegas-voss

Get Out 6/10

Bought into the hype before watching this horror but it just takes forever to go anywhere then doesn't do too much when it gets there.

guardians of the galaxy 2 - 8/10

good film, i came out of it thinking it was better than the first but now maybe not quite as good. 

chester copperpot

Just re watched Jurrasic world and thoroughly enjoyed it.

First time uni watched it it was on a crappy camcorder in the cinema and thought it was rubbish.

Much better in 1080hd

iantjambo

Sandy Wexler - 1/10.

Horrendous viewing. Sandler is completely finished.

Agreed. Sandy Wexler was utter horse shit!

I'm a fan of Sandler but the last movie of his I enjoyed was 'That's My Boy' in 2012.

chester copperpot

I'm a fan of Sandler but the last movie of his I enjoyed was 'That's My Boy' in 2012.

Been trying to find out online how much he got for his 4 film episode on Netflix but cannot find nada.

It really was an awful film

William H. Bonney

I'd really like someone to cast Sandler in a serious role. Similar to Vince Vaughn in true detective.

It would be interesting to see what he's like.

Carl Fredrickson

Batman Begins. Watching this to see if it would be suitable for my son who is in to Marvel and DC characters. I first saw it at the cinema - not my choice as I wasnt a superhero fan but I loved the film. Havent seen it in a few years and watching it with my son in mind and it doesnt disappoint. 

Going to watch the other 2 in the trilogy over the next couple of nights to see if they would be ok for him too. Really looking forward to the Dark Knight. 

BB gets 8/10 from me

I'd really like someone to cast Sandler in a serious role. Similar to Vince Vaughn in true detective.

he did do it in reign over me

iantjambo

Not seen that one.

Just had a quick peek at it on IMDB. Actually sounds pretty good so need to put that on my watch list.

Edited by iantjambo

William H. Bonney

Yes he did. I should have said in a role playing a criminal. Something slightly sinister.

iantjambo

Yes he did. I should have said in a role playing a criminal. Something slightly sinister.

Absolutely. Robin Williams nailed it in 'One Hour Photo'. So I don't see why Sandler couldn't do it.

Absolutely. Robin Williams nailed it in 'One Hour Photo'. So I don't see why Sandler couldn't do it.

i would say more so in insomnia 

rudi must stay

And "Men, Woman and Children". Never saw that film but he looked suprisingly good at a serious role in the trailer

Yeah, many comedians make tremendous serious actors. I think it's because their timing is spot on, and most serious actors say that comedy is the hardest genre to act. Not all great serious actors can do comedy.

Couple of documentaries...

Lo And Behold - I love Werner Herzog but this seemed pretty lazy buy his standards. Supposedly a history of the internet and while there was some of that, it seemed to give a platform to some hair-brained shysters. 6/10

The Killing Of America - 1982 documentary full of footage of murders and about the supposed destruction of American society. Some interesting footage but the grim voice over is ridiculous and it doesn't really say anything other than 'look at this guy getting shot - everyone is going to be brutally killed'. Worth watching for those who think now is the worst and most violent time to be alive though. The 70s and 80s were ****ing mental! 5/10

rudi must stay

Margin Call

A few years since seeing it first time, and it's still a masterpiece. It's the script that really makes it a great film and the acting couldn't be better. Jeremy Irons puts in a very clever performance in a unique part. It's on iPlayer by the way

10/10

rudi must stay

Just heard that Jonathan Demme dirctor has died of cancer.

While I know he was famous for Silence of the Lambs earlier films got my attention.

So if you haven't seen this

Something Wild 1986 10/10 including brilliant performance by debut Ray Liotta.

A real shame. I liked his version of Manchurian Candidate, very good thriller

Guardians Of The Galaxy Episode 2.

Excellent film with promises of even more good stuff in the 3rd instalment in the credits.

Shanks said no

Bleed for this

7.5/10

Story of World Champion Boxer Vinny Pazienza. Maybe need to be a boxing fan to fully enjoy it but as its a true story it is quite remarkable.

robbo1874

First experience of Imax with my son to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Have to say we loved the whole experience.

Obviously the movie being as good as it is helped in that.

Took me a while to get used to 3D though.

9/10 all round.

Shanks said no

The Girl with all the Gifts

7/10

Already mentioned this on the Zombie thread. An unusual take on the genre with kids with the virus held in an army type prison camp while the hungries surround the facility looking for fresh victims. Starring Gemma Arterton, Sennia Nanua, Paddy Considine and an aging Glenn Close

Mr Right

2/10

Violent supposedly funny movie where a newly hooked up couple fight for their lives, he's an assassin. The violence was too clean, unnecessary and the main characters were never hurt for long.

hughesie27

Might give Guardians of the galaxy a watch at the cinema this week. Having not seen the 1st 1 I will probably watch that first. Does it tie into the other marvel/avengers films in anyway that might spoil those if I have only seen up to Winter Soldier?

Might give Guardians of the galaxy a watch at the cinema this week. Having not seen the 1st 1 I will probably watch that first. Does it tie into the other marvel/avengers films in anyway that might spoil those if I have only seen up to Winter Soldier?

There's no crossover with the other Marvel films. Mainly as it's set in space.

the crossover with guardians will happen in infinity wars parts 1 and 2

...a bit disco

The Void (2016)

Pretty decent lowish budget horror with a touch of Silent Hill/Hellraiser about it.

7/10

rudi must stay

The Boss Baby

One for kids more than adults. But it has some funny moments, I thought Alec Baldwin did an entertaining job as did Steve Buschemi and I liked some scenes in the film

7/10

Edited by rudi must stay

Margin Call

A few years since seeing it first time, and it's still a masterpiece. It's the script that really makes it a great film and the acting couldn't be better. Jeremy Irons puts in a very clever performance in a unique part. It's on iPlayer by the way

10/10

Good film. Watched it a few times.

Shanks said no

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates

5/10

Crude for crudes sake teen movie about two brothers who have a habit of wrecking family occasions with their antics. They are ordered to bring respectable dates to their sisters wedding and more mayhem ensues. If you are willing to switch off your brain it does have a few funny scenes.

hughesie27

Cheers. Giving the first 1 a watch tonight then. No idea what to expect but heard goid things about 2.

Nocturnal Animals - thought this was superb. An ex-husband sends his former wife a draft of his first novel, an allegory on their relationship. Great performances from Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhall and it looks fantastic. 9/10

Jackie - average biopic of Jackie O in the weeks after the Kennedy assassination. Natalie Portman was good but it was a bit meh overall. 6/10

JudyJudyJudy

7/10

My taste is for unusual films and this did have a few surprises. An assassin played by Michelle Rodriguez (from Lost) wakes up having undergone gender re-assignment surgery. She's been operated on by Sigourney Weaver. Won't say too much more but its quite an odd film, good start and finish, middle dips a bit.

Ill give this a try. Looks unusual enough 

JudyJudyJudy

7/10

Ill give this a try. Looks unusual enough 

Shanks said no

The Accountant

6/10

Ben Affleck plays an autistic maths genius who works as a criminal forensic accountant, so he has a lot going on! I found the back story more interesting than his present day plight and it was too obvious near the end.

hughesie27

Watched Guardians of the Galaxy last night before going to see 2 tonight.

Quite like the Marvel films and this one was fairly decent. It wouldn't have been much without the comedy side though.

Shanks said no

American Honey

7/10

My rating is very subjective as I am unsure what to make of this film. Stars Sasha Lane, Shia LaBeouf and Riley Keough and I thought Lane's performance was excellent in her first film. Its a road movie about a group of Millennials (think that's the correct term). They are grungy irritating modern day hippies who sponge off people by selling magazines door to door. Weird film.

Edited by godandgorgie2012