The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Commander Harris

What were the flaws you spotted, out of interest?

Let me start by saying I thought it was a decent film, I did enjoy it I just thought it could have been better in a few areas. ?

It's not terribly fresh in my memory so can't give you a super detailed answer but here's some things that still stick with me.

The general pacing of the film wasn't great, like I say I can't remember specifics but I remember thinking this at the time and being quite put off by it. ?

The plot was contrived at points, I didn't buy that the same thing that powers ships could have that kind of effect on a human for example. ?

I thought the back story was very interesting but the actual plot was fairly boring and turned into a straightforward chase movie and I just got a bit bored. ?One reviewer summed it up well, "fresh premise, stale action". ?

Edited by Commander Harris

Don't disagree with any of that.

My main issue is the concealing of the command pod, it broke off 3 weeks(I think) after the arival. It burred itself into the ground and had a shack placed on top of it. I don't really understand how it is supposed to have got their.

You're right, there was a lot of convenience in the plot. They had spent 20 years gathering the fuel, and had just enough. Yet the protagonist sprays himself with, what appeared to be, more than was collected from the last piece of equipment. If that was the case, could they not have left earlier?

The idea behind it was very good, I understand the film makers actually went to cities where there are refugee camps and gathered opinions from people who lived there on the refugees. It makes a very salient political point, there. As well as the issues that come with big corporations and the almost relentless desire to make money, no matter the consequence.

Commander Harris

Don't disagree with any of that.

My main issue is the concealing of the command pod, it broke off 3 weeks(I think) after the arival. It burred itself into the ground and had a shack placed on top of it. I don't really understand how it is supposed to have got their.

You're right, there was a lot of convenience in the plot. They had spent 20 years gathering the fuel, and had just enough. Yet the protagonist sprays himself with, what appeared to be, more than was collected from the last piece of equipment. If that was the case, could they not have left earlier?

The idea behind it was very good, I understand the film makers actually went to cities where there are refugee camps and gathered opinions from people who lived there on the refugees. It makes a very salient political point, there. As well as the issues that come with big corporations and the almost relentless desire to make money, no matter the consequence.

yup, all that too. ?And how does Wikus know how to fly an alien shuttle?

Thought this would have been much better when it had Jason Stathom,Ray Winstone,Mickey Rourke and Sam Riley in it but it turned out to be pretty meh.I know it's a remake of a French film but have not seen that so can't compare if it's better or worse.5/10

...a bit disco

A Sound Of Thunder.

Decent 'butterfly effect' time-travel dangers type movie.

6.5/10

Shrek 4 - 4/10 Should of stopped after the first two.

Toy Story 3 - 5/10 Over-rated

Extraordinary Measures - 7/10

Little Miss Sunshine - 9/10- Quirky and funny as ****. Emotional in places too

Easy A - 6/10. Average, lead actress is smokin hot though. Think she was in Superbad?

Rupert Pupkin

Took the kids to see Megamind yesterday 7/10

Good movie but not as funny as i thought it was going to be . The kids loved it tho so it done the job.

Little Miss Sunshine

Dysfunctional family in road trip to a beauty pageant. Really. Excellent performances, including Mariel from Murial's Wedding.

Fabulous.

9/10 thumbsup.gif

Kick Ass

Had high hopes for this movie. They were utterly surpassed.

Full throttle entertainment.

9/10 thumbsup.gif

Tell No One - outstanding French thriller - available on itunes to rent if you're interested. 8/10

That was a boat that left me on the island unfortunately. I don't know why, usually the kind of thing I love and the reviews were all excellent, but I thought it was very TV movie-ish. I also worked out the twists etc really early on - hate it when that happens. :lol:

Watched a few films on Sunday night:

X Men Origins: Wolverine - 6/10

I was surprised by how watchable it was, actually - I'd almost be tempted to push that up to a 7. Hugh Jackman and Liev Schrieber were both ace and you can't really go wrong with Danny Huston.

Sin City - 9/10

Forgot how good this was - can't wait for the sequel.

Watchmen - 8/10

Really enjoy Alan Moore's work and this was a good adaptation. A little irrelevant in its subject matter, where the likes of V For Vendetta carry more timeless themes, though. Rorscach is an instant classic film noir anti-hero for me - great performance and character.

The Town

Like everybody else who has mentioned it on here I liked it.If you dig deep into it it's total nonsense but it is enjoyable.7.5/10

Eventually got around to watching a DVD of Gran Torino I bought ages ago.

Excellent, Eastwood at his best, as both star and director.

8/10 from me.

itsnomarooned

Monsters - a bit slow (not quite what I imagined it would be) but not bad nontheless.

However, prior to that it was Skyline which was complete and utter baws - my advice, just don't!

Albert Finney

I've seen 212 films this year and written reviews of all of them. As it's nearly the end of the year I wondered if this thread might be the place to share the ones I've felt were the most impressive?

Tokyo Story - possibly the finest of all of Japanese master Ozus work. This was shown at the Filmhouse in January and seeing it on the big screen reminded me why it is one of the greatest films ever made.

Departures (Okuribito) - another Japanese film and this one the winner of best foreign language Oscar in 2009. Funny, moving and surprising. Well worth finding.

A Prophet (Un Prophete) - the greatest gangster film since "Goodfellas"? I think so.

American: The Bill Hicks Story - documentary about the greatest comedian of all time. Using a fabulous animation technique this was a genuinely original documentary.

Shutter Island - Scorcese at his very best. A film noir for the noughties that was never anything but entertaining.

Samson and Delilah - debut from Australian director Warwick Thornton tells the story of two Aboriginal kids who move to the city. Harrowing, challenging, uplifting, moving and beautiful.

Kick-Ass - I'm a sucker for a superhero and a comic book...this hits both. Silly, thrilling and profane...what else do you want?

Lions Den - Argentinian film looking at the life of female convicts in a prison that makes "Midnight Express" look like Butlins.

Merantau - an Indonesian martial arts movie...seriously! It is one of the most action packed films I've seen in an age with some of the best fight scenes in the history of cinema.

The Immaculate Conception of Little Dizzle - big company makes new self-heating cookie. Big company tests them on janitorial staff at their HQ. Male janitors fall pregnant with tiny blue fish! I am NOT making this up.

The Secret in Their Eyes - the winner of this years best foreign language film Oscar...and, much as I loved "Un Prophete", this deserved it. Unmissable.

City of Life and Death - the true story of the rape of Nanjing. Not for the faint hearted but history buffs will find much to impress them. Difficult watching.

Toy Story 3 - oh come on, you know it's ace.

Get Low - not released yet but this stars Bobby Duvall, Bill Murray and Sissy Spacek...do you need to know anything else? It's a Western, it's hilarious and it's got BOBBY DUVALL!

Alamar - quiet, gentle, intimate film about a father and his son connecting before the son leaves to live with his mother in Italy. Shot on location on the Mexican barrier reef this offers an amazing insight into a culture few of us know anything about.

Out of the Ashes - documentary about the Afghan international cricket team...inspiring.

The Social Network - it's the script. The script. Like David Mahmet on speed Aaron Sorkin delivers the winner of the best screenplay Oscar. Trust me.

Somewhere - Sofia Coppola is the best director working today and this brilliant film proves it.

Stalingrad: Grim stuff but not as good as Das Boot..still 7/10

Black Hawk Down: Not into Yankee Gung-ho stuff yet it still shown through despite Ridley Scott directing.....6.5/10

I'll be heading to Blockbuster for a few rentals later. :thumbsup:

Monsters - a bit slow (not quite what I imagined it would be) but not bad nontheless.

However, prior to that it was Skyline which was complete and utter baws - my advice, just don't!

I second that, WTF was that ending all about!

Went to see Rare exports at the weekend, very good 9/10

Coen Brothers - True Grit.

Superb film, but a lot of fast mumbling from Bridges.

I'm really looking forward to this. How did you manage to see it already? :unsure:

Rare Exports

Original, different and fabulously witty. Best film out of Finland since the Helsinki section of Night on Earth (8/10).

8/10 thumbsup.gif

I rewatched Watchmen last night for the first time since I buying it.

Better than I remembered.

It's not bad eh? Surprisingly decent, I thought.

I watched The American (6) last night. Clooney is excellent, but it's ponderously slow and doesn't, for me, deliver the depth and layering it needs to get away with it. The characterisation, for instance, is pretty flat (tart with a heart, conflicted hitman doing one last job - come on!). I also thought the ending was ridiculously signposted - so much so that it was almost a surprise when he went through with delivering it. It does also, however, deliver lots of magnificent nudity. :lol:

Albert, who do you write reviews for?

Edited by Charles Faceman Adam

Despicable Me - 8/10 - Bit immature, but I thought it was really funny.

Up - 9/10

Kick-Ass - 8/10 - Thought it was good, maybe not as good as the hype though. Would have probably gave it a 7 had Hit-Girl not dropped the C-Bomb. thumbsup.gif

Albert Finney

BAFTA member screener.

My understanding is that those of us in attendance at said screenings shouldn't make public comment on the film until a certain date...or have I misunderstood?

Edited by Albert Finney

rudi must stay

Precious

some great acting throughout, even from Mariah Carey which was a suprise. But the story is nothing new and I thought it was abit slow at times

7/10

Raw Deal. Not seen it in ages. (about 20yrs or something!)

Takes me back....

Excellent switch off brain film.

Cobra :blink:

WTF? Not the best....

Randle P McMurphy

Closer

8/10

:thumbsup:

closer194.jpg

she is stunning. there is something about a woman with obivously artificially coloured hair that just does it for me, roll in the fact that it is natalie portman and yowsah!